Taking the bike to work?

Started by gbill2004, June 08, 2018, 01:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colton

Quote from: buckzumhoff on July 05, 2018, 03:54:26 PM
It?s a hassle. Why would you take your bike and take the chances with pot hole city and ride to work when you can catch a bus . I think most bike riders figure the bus is too expensive. Well most companies even credit you for your bus pass.

The buses in this city are absolutely unreliable. I feel sorry for anybody that has to rely on them for transportation to work who also have a workplace strict about start times.

Stretch

Quote from: buckzumhoff on July 05, 2018, 03:54:26 PM
It?s a hassle. Why would you take your bike and take the chances with pot hole city and ride to work when you can catch a bus . I think most bike riders figure the bus is too expensive. Well most companies even credit you for your bus pass.

I take the bus in the winter (basically once the snow hits or if the temperature is consistently at or below freezing) and switch to biking in the summer. Why? Primarily to save a few bucks (since a monthly bus pass is now ~$100) while getting some good cardio work in. The bus isn't exactly the best place to be when it's +30 with 86% humidity even if the windows are open.

As for work giving you credit towards a bus pass, my employer subsidizes 30% of the monthly pass, but it's a taxable benefit.

To each their own.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

bluengold204

Quote from: Stretch on July 05, 2018, 08:16:03 PM
I take the bus in the winter (basically once the snow hits or if the temperature is consistently at or below freezing) and switch to biking in the summer. Why? Primarily to save a few bucks (since a monthly bus pass is now ~$100) while getting some good cardio work in. The bus isn't exactly the best place to be when it's +30 with 86% humidity even if the windows are open.

As for work giving you credit towards a bus pass, my employer subsidizes 30% of the monthly pass, but it's a taxable benefit.

To each their own.

I do the same thing, ride the bus when its winter but as soon as the snow is gone im riding the bus.  I just find them over crowded, stuffy, the odd questionable character riding on there, and sometimes unclean.  No word of a lie my brother came home early one day from taking the bus claiming he sat in piss.

Stretch

Quote from: bluengold204 on July 09, 2018, 06:56:58 PM
I just find them over crowded, stuffy, the odd questionable character riding on there, and sometimes unclean.  No word of a lie my brother came home early one day from taking the bus claiming he sat in piss.

It's called "public transportation" for a reason.  :D
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

gbill2004

Quote from: bluengold204 on July 09, 2018, 06:56:58 PM
I do the same thing, ride the bus when its winter but as soon as the snow is gone im riding the bus.  I just find them over crowded, stuffy, the odd questionable character riding on there, and sometimes unclean.  No word of a lie my brother came home early one day from taking the bus claiming he sat in piss.
I was once on a bus when a guy vomited all over the floor.  He was heaving for a while so I saw it coming. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on July 09, 2018, 09:27:35 PM
I was once on a bus when a guy vomited all over the floor.  He was heaving for a while so I saw it coming. 

I remember back in grade 8 during year-end exams, I got out early and boarded the bus and went to the back as I usually do. There was this older girl in the seat right behind the rear door and she had her backpack on her lap and was a sickly shade of green and stunk like wine. I was only on the bus for maybe five minutes when she started heaving. She then opened her bag and started hurling right into it. It was hilarious.

Taking the bus can sure be entertaining! :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

dd

Does anyone use an ebike for commuting and if so, what make do you use/recommend using??

Old Rusty

Quote from: dd on July 31, 2018, 12:27:41 AM
Does anyone use an ebike for commuting and if so, what make do you use/recommend using??

An ebike would be cool I suppose.  Never done that.  I checked them out at the cycle shop on St. Marys - huge $$$$, I mean HUGE $$$.  So.... Straight twins, Vee twins, or pedal power, fun vs kind-of-fun-sweat equity. 

Again, I'd recommend burning up the ATP, all those millions of myosin heavy-chain heads can't be wrong.   (-325 to -400 kcal to get to work and back, you can have two extra beers after dinner for free - if a svelt silhouette means anything  ;D). 
As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.

Old Rusty

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 10, 2018, 01:30:32 PM
I remember back in grade 8 during year-end exams, I got out early and boarded the bus and went to the back as I usually do. There was this older girl in the seat right behind the rear door and she had her backpack on her lap and was a sickly shade of green and stunk like wine. I was only on the bus for maybe five minutes when she started heaving. She then opened her bag and started hurling right into it. It was hilarious.

Taking the bus can sure be entertaining! :D

Good gravy.  That rocks.  I rode the bus a tonne when I was sub-grade 12, never saw any muggles hit the backpack for salvation.
As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.