New Soccer Team Planned for Winnipeg

Started by Lamename, June 04, 2018, 07:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoryB

Quote from: Big Daddy on June 05, 2018, 02:34:05 AM
Actually, drama class in school is even more safe.

I would say football soccer is actually safer than drama class. My son managed to get a concussion in drama...

So apparently the name has leaked an it is Valour. What do people think of that?

blue_or_die

Quote from: CoryB on June 05, 2018, 07:20:44 PM
I would say football soccer is actually safer than drama class. My son managed to get a concussion in drama...

So apparently the name has leaked an it is Valour. What do people think of that?

I like the military ode. Keeps in line with the Jets and Bombers (ya ya I know the Bomber name isn't actually a military thing).

I was hoping for Rebellion. Could have done a cool Metis theme.
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Valour FC? I would have liked a more Winnipeg or Manitoba centric name but I probably will only go a couple times a year at most.

VictorRomano

Quote from: kkc60 on June 05, 2018, 02:26:06 AM
I personally am not a big soccer fan but I know soccer is a great sport for kids to play and its probably one of the safest to play. So it might be good for kids to be able to see that they can go somewhere with soccer just like kids see that with football, hockey and baseball

Quote from: CoryB on June 05, 2018, 07:20:44 PM

Actual medical studies in Canada show that soccer is the #1 sport for serious physical injuries in children - higher than hockey, football, rugby, basketball, and snowboarding, and particularly in the 10-14 range.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3878023/

Personally, I'm a high school teacher, varsity boys/girls rugby coach, and Red Cross-certified first responder at my school.  I treat way more basketball, volleyball and soccer injuries than I do rugby injuries.

theaardvark

Valour or Valor?  Either way, great name...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ModAdmin

It's Valour as in Valour FC.

They will begin to play out of Investors Group Field in the spring of 2019.

Early membership deposits can be made starting June 8th.

Average price per game will be $20 for adults and $12 for youth.

More details will be forthcoming.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 06, 2018, 08:45:00 PM
It's Valour as in Valour FC.
like the name not really a soccer buff though
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 05, 2018, 07:43:28 PM
Valour FC? I would have liked a more Winnipeg or Manitoba centric name but I probably will only go a couple times a year at most.

Like what Winnipeg united? Meh No Manitoba united No Winnipeg FC Nah
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

New_Earth_Mud

I see complaining about adding things to our City as pretty stupid.

IGF And the Bombers support this and doing so..... i figure they will make money to Pay for IGF

So not supporting this new team to our city will only hurt.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag

TecnoGenius

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on June 07, 2018, 02:42:52 AM
I see complaining about adding things to our City as pretty stupid.

IGF And the Bombers support this and doing so..... i figure they will make money to Pay for IGF

So not supporting this new team to our city will only hurt.

You're right, anything that gets fans (money) into IGF is 100% a good thing.

People are just moaning in general at the lameness of professional soccer.  I bet the number of BB STHs that go to >1 soccer game @IFG will be under 5%.  Football fans tend to like real football.  ;)

Hey, how are they going to handle the field transition?  There could be weeks with both BB and soccer games... do they just roll up the turf and put the other one down?  Or repaint it each time?  Hope this doesn't mess it up for the WFC.  And with weekday BB practices too!  Groundskeeper's job just got a whole lot tougher.  I hope they are making it abundantly clear who the #1 tenant is!
Never go full Rider!

In Motion

Valour is the Canadian spelling; Valor is American. I like the name. Wouldn't mind Manitoba FC or Winnipeg FC either.

It is fitting too, given the history of Valour Rd. in Winnipeg from whence three war heroes came,
all winning the highest honour, the Victoria Cross, for bravery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tao7ma4jxUQ

Actually, I like watching soccer occasionally. There is a method to the build-up, and there are flashes of brilliance.
The endurance required is something else one must admire.

I plan to go to some games.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: In Motion on June 07, 2018, 04:59:21 AM
Valour is the Canadian spelling; Valor is American. I like the name. Wouldn't mind Manitoba FC or Winnipeg FC either.

It is fitting too, given the history of Valour Rd. in Winnipeg from whence three war heroes came,
all winning the highest honour, the Victoria Cross, for bravery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tao7ma4jxUQ

Actually, I like watching soccer occasionally. There is a method to the build-up, and there are flashes of brilliance.
The endurance required is something else one must admire.

I plan to go to some games.

They actually grew up on Pine St., the street was renamed Valour Rd. in 1925 in honour of the 3 Victoria Cross recipients.  My grandfather's brother lived two houses down from the Clark family, he didn't receive any medals but he never came back from WW1 either.

bluengold204

Colton

Looks cool, pretty nice colour palette too. Excited to check out a game when they start

blue_or_die

Nice!

Although I would have used the same navy blue as the Bomber's past uniform rather than black, or that of the 50s throwbacks from a decade ago.
#Ride?