Blue Bombers Forum
August 18, 2018, 09:32:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Brown article on Darian Durant  (Read 5241 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2018, 09:09:03 PM »

If Price's new contract was less than the one he was traded at, but he managed to get Jones to give him some money up front, then it is not exactly like the Durant situation, except from the players standpoint in intentionally screwing the organization. 

Price never once said he was going to report, or that he was happy to be a Rider, that he was ready to be a mentor and fill the role he was signed for.  He got traded to a team with no QB, and no hope, saw the writing on the wall and convinced Jones to give him cash up front, and ran.

Durant voluntarily chose the Bombers, talked to the media, convinced everyone that it was his intent not just to show up for TC, but to embrace the role as backup, even to the point of mentioning that he could help with short yardage situations. 

On the surface, sure, its the same con.  But Price at least did it up front, straightforward, thanks for the cash, see ya.

Durant strung it out for months while making it seem everything was hunky dory, and the Bombers went forward with thier plans which included him and his position at #2 QB and his salary.  And he bailed on them just before TC, and did it by social media, which is even worse than by text or voicemail. 

Not even remotely close to the same situation. 

Jones has had a number of players retire rather than play there.  That's the type of organization he runs, his way or bye bye. 

Walters is diametrically opposite to that.  Which is why there is no logic in Durant "deserving" the bonus money and the SMS he stole.  The Bombers did nothing to him, or anyone in the CFLPA for that matter, to deserve this treatment. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2018, 11:27:07 PM »

So, do we bring back The Feve for short yardage?  Feve was money on short last year, best in the league.

Does anyone who's been going to the camps see the new QB's as being short yardage capable?  I shudder to think we're going to leave #15 in for 3rd & short all the time.  Just begging for an injury.  (I'm with with the occasional short for tempo though.)

If the new guys start the year off failing on short, I hope they do call up Mr Feve.
Jets
Global Moderator

« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2018, 11:35:19 PM »

So, do we bring back The Feve for short yardage?  Feve was money on short last year, best in the league.

Does anyone who's been going to the camps see the new QB's as being short yardage capable?  I shudder to think we're going to leave #15 in for 3rd & short all the time.  Just begging for an injury.  (I'm with with the occasional short for tempo though.)

If the new guys start the year off failing on short, I hope they do call up Mr Feve.

Streveler is big and can run.
trapper

« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2018, 01:47:11 PM »

If Price's new contract was less than the one he was traded at, but he managed to get Jones to give him some money up front, then it is not exactly like the Durant situation, except from the players standpoint in intentionally screwing the organization. 

Both players signed new contracts with new teams.  The thought and discussion process is the exact same at that point regardless on how they got there.  Brand new discussion, brand new contract.

Price never once said he was going to report, or that he was happy to be a Rider,
You mean publicly.  You don't actually believe he didn't express thhe intention to play with the team when a new contract was negotiated and signed do you? You think Jones never spoke to him and just handed him money?

Durant voluntarily chose the Bombers, talked to the media, convinced everyone that it was his intent not just to show up for TC, but to embrace the role as backup, even to the point of mentioning that he could help with short yardage situations. 
Yes he did.  Price also could have refused to renegotiate and then been a FA.  Right?

On the surface, sure, its the same con.  But Price at least did it up front, straightforward, thanks for the cash, see ya.

Durant strung it out for months while making it seem everything was hunky dory, and the Bombers went forward with thier plans which included him and his position at #2 QB and his salary.  And he bailed on them just before TC, and did it by social media, which is even worse than by text or voicemail. 

Not even remotely close to the same situation. 

Durant (Jan 21-May 11) was on the Winnipeg roster only 11 days more than Price (Jan 12-Apr 21) was on the Rider Roster.  Neither team heard anything from the player about retiring...actually...the Bombers did hear rumblings///some talk from the agent...and Durant skipped mini-camp.  Zero was heard from Price.

The only different is the importance of the position and the media speak.  It's the same...it is completely the same.  A player signing a new contract, getting a signing bonus, then quitting football leaving the team high n dry. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:49:09 PM by trapper » Logged
Pigskin

« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »

Hey Trapper as Mr. Wonderful say on the Sharks Tank. Durant is dead to us. Get over it. Must be a slow week in Sask.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »

What they did was the same.....it sucked both times and for both teams.....Durant you could argue did it a little slimier due to his social media actions.

Hopefully at the end of the day both GM's and future GM's learn from BOTH incidents and work to prevent it in the future.
Nic16

« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »

Trapper...you?re missing one other difference.

It was not that big of a surprise when a 3 yr CFL?er like Price does it.

But, when a respected CFL veteran QB of 12 yrs like Durant does it...that?s very surprising!

One would think he?d have far more respect for the league, it?s owners...and himself!

And btw...the BB?s and the league owed him absolutely nothing at that point in his career.

trapper

« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »

Hey Trapper as Mr. Wonderful say on the Sharks Tank. Durant is dead to us. Get over it. Must be a slow week in Sask.

If he's dead to ya...why are you wasting precious time in this thread? Clearly people are so infuriated they still want to vent about it Smiley
theaardvark

« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »

Both players signed new contracts with new teams.  The thought and discussion process is the exact same at that point regardless on how they got there.  Brand new discussion, brand new contract.

Price had one team he could deal with.  He had absolutely no choice.  Honour the existing contract, sign a new contract, or sit out.  Not sure what the existing contract was, or what the new contract was, but he was not in a decision making place, Jones held all the cards.  Durant could have signed anywhere, even Montreal. 

You mean publicly.  You don't actually believe he didn't express thhe intention to play with the team when a new contract was negotiated and signed do you? You think Jones never spoke to him and just handed him money?

Yup, Durant was very public and very vocal about his intentions, and what he was bringing to the table for the deal he signed.  Price didn't say boo.

Yes he did.  Price also could have refused to renegotiate and then been a FA.  Right?

Nope, if he refused to renegotiate, he would have been under his current contract.  He would have to report and play to earn any money.  Jones chose to renegotiate his deal, and it looks like he screwed himself by giving Price a way to get cash and not have to do anything for it.  If there was a roster bonus in the original deal, maybe Jones managed to reduce it, but I'm thinking he did the Bryant/Medlock thing of using the "reduced tax burden" on bonuses to reduce the total SMS hit, and actually gave Price an incentive to retire.

Durant (Jan 21-May 11) was on the Winnipeg roster only 11 days more than Price (Jan 12-Apr 21) was on the Rider Roster.  Neither team heard anything from the player about retiring...actually...the Bombers did hear rumblings///some talk from the agent...and Durant skipped mini-camp.  Zero was heard from Price.

So, you are saying that Price's role as a Rec on what was a stacked receiving corps that he might not even have been able to crack is equivalent to the role DD4 was being counted on to fill for the Bombers?  And that quitting a week before training camp is roughly equivalent to quitting a month before TC?  And yes, there were rumblings, but I'm pretty sure Price told SSK before announcing his retirement... DD4 did not...

The only different is the importance of the position and the media speak.  It's the same...it is completely the same.  A player signing a new contract, getting a signing bonus, then quitting football leaving the team high n dry. 

Price didn't choose his negotiating partner.  Durant did.  Both got bonuses and retired, yes.  Leaving the team "high and dry"?  Price did not do that at all.  He might have been expected to provide tertiary depth at WR, but he sure as heck was not going to be a core member of the SSK receivers.  Durant's role was huge here, he left them high and dry, for sure.  A week before TC. 

Not remotely the same.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
trapper

« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2018, 03:42:51 PM »

Trapper...you?re missing one other difference.

It was not that big of a surprise when a 3 yr CFL?er like Price does it.

But, when a respected CFL veteran QB of 12 yrs like Durant does it...that?s very surprising!

One would think he?d have far more respect for the league, it?s owners...and himself!

And btw...the BB?s and the league owed him absolutely nothing at that point in his career.

My point in saying there is no difference is 100% related to comments that the league should step in or that a lawsuit should be filed.  That's when I brought it up.  My point was simple, the practice of players taking a signing  or roster bonus and then subsequently retiring leaving a team high and dry has been happening for years..decades even.  This is not the first time that it has happened.  It won't be the last.

I 100% agree the league nor the team owed Durant anything.  I 100% agree that he did this retirement thing in a piss poor way.  I 100% agree that subsequent to this he was extremely disrespectful to the Bomber organization and Fans.  I 100% agree that Durant ended his career in a classless way.

theaardvark

« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2018, 03:47:25 PM »

If he's dead to ya...why are you wasting precious time in this thread? Clearly people are so infuriated they still want to vent about it Smiley

He's not dead, he's a Bomber for life now.  He retired a Bomber.  Might not be worth $70k to say that, but let's get something for the cash he stole  "deserved"...

And yes, there is no reason for the league to step in or a lawsuit launched.  But the CFLPA should be concerned.  Because this dooshie move has just cost every one of their members the ability to negotiate this kind of deal in the future.  DD4 has just cost CFLPA members a huge amount of bargaining power, and potentially money, because GM's are going to be very wary of signing anyone to these kind of contracts going forward.  When someone who is supposedly a classy 12 year vet can pull off a stunt of this nature / magnitude, who can you trust?

Pigskin

« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »

I am retired I have all the time in the world. What are you doing here, your a Rider fan what do you care what the BOMBERS are doing.
PloenFan

« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »

Not sure if it's possible, but could the Bombers take Durant to court for fraud ?  Huh
gbill2004

« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »

Not sure if it's possible, but could the Bombers take Durant to court for fraud ?  Huh
Yes, but doesn't mean they'd win. 
GCn18

« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2018, 04:38:28 PM »

You watch too much trump... deny and lie...deny and lie.  Fact is you said "Neither Campbell or Price sat down and negotiated a contract".  It is clear Price DID negotiate a contract.   He could have not renogotiated and then either a) got his money or b) become a free agent.  Doesn't sound like a gun to your head.  If what you say is true that he pruposley signed the contact knowing he was going to walk.....well then he's worse than Durant...and yet...you guys, again, were all fine with that...you blamed Jones.

Durant and Price were in the EXACT same situation...become free agent, or sign a contract. 

What ever man....you are acting like a Rider fan now...full scale, completely oblivious. Being told that your valid contract will not be honored and you need to sign a new one for less money is not negotiating it is having a gun put to your head. I wouldn't expect a Jones and Durant apologist to understand anything we are talking about right now though.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: