Blue Bombers Forum
June 19, 2018, 11:03:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Roster moves from around the CFL  (Read 21996 times)
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2018, 11:00:11 AM »

Yep...we retain his rights. I wonder if he even thought about that when he chose to bamboozle us like that.

Someone should text him...

"We congratulate Darian Durant for a wonderful career. We are so honored that even though he truly bleed greed green, for $70,000, he chose to retire us a Bomber and not a Rider." #OnceABomberAlwaysABomber  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:07:10 AM by M.O.A.B. » Logged
trapper

« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2018, 02:33:20 PM »

Yep...we retain his rights. I wonder if he even thought about that when he chose to bamboozle us like that.

Retain rights indefinitely or for just as long as his contract would have been valid?  If it's a1 or 2 year...isn't he a FA after that? Or is it forever?  I can't see it any different than a player holding out.

So if he actually cares to retire a Rider (for $70K I wouldn't) then all he has to do is wait no?
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #287 on: May 17, 2018, 02:44:17 PM »

I doubt he cares one iota.

Even if he can't retire a Rider, he'll be inducted into the Ring of Honour and be revered for what he accomplished as a member of that team. The technicalities of his retirement seem immaterial at this point.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
GCn17

« Reply #288 on: May 17, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »

Retain rights indefinitely or for just as long as his contract would have been valid?  If it's a1 or 2 year...isn't he a FA after that? Or is it forever?  I can't see it any different than a player holding out.

So if he actually cares to retire a Rider (for $70K I wouldn't) then all he has to do is wait no?

Retirement is just like being suspended. Rights are retained indefinitely.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
trapper

« Reply #289 on: May 17, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »

Retirement is just like being suspended. Rights are retained indefinitely.

So how is that different than Wilder willing to sit out a year so he could go to the NFL.  Wouldn't the Argos hold his rights indefinitely?

Or is this just a opinion and not based in fact?
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #290 on: May 17, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »

So how is that different than Wilder willing to sit out a year so he could go to the NFL.  Wouldn't the Argos hold his rights indefinitely?

Or is this just a opinion and not based in fact?

It isn't different. If Wilder decided to 'sit out' he would have been placed on the suspended list where he would remain until he 'conforms to the terms of his contract'. Theoretically, he could be there forever if he chose never to return.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #291 on: May 17, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »

Simply put, Darian Durant loyalty lies in the =$=.
trapper

« Reply #292 on: May 17, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »

It isn't different. If Wilder decided to 'sit out' he would have been placed on the suspended list where he would remain until he 'conforms to the terms of his contract'. Theoretically, he could be there forever if he chose never to return.

I didn't know that.  From everything I have read I thought it was to let the contract expire so he could play in the NFL.

Good to know.  I recalled Chris Williams in a similar situation with lawsuits...I think ultimately the team caved and released him
GCn17

« Reply #293 on: May 17, 2018, 04:50:32 PM »

I didn't know that.  From everything I have read I thought it was to let the contract expire so he could play in the NFL.

Good to know.  I recalled Chris Williams in a similar situation with lawsuits...I think ultimately the team caved and released him

James Wilder could have gone to the NFL because CFL rights are of no consequence to them. Don't confuse holding rights with being under contract, they are not the same thing. The Argos would have held his CFL rights infinitely, however, he would no longer be under contract after one year. If he wanted to come back from suspension and play he could only do so for the Argos who have the right to either ratify what is remaining on his old contract or negotiate a new contract or trade his rights.

Basically put, you cannot sit out or retire from the CFL to get out of a CFL contract or away from a team that you have remaining term with, however, your contract still expires at the same time and the team only retains your rights. Sitting out would not allow Wilder or Durant to change teams or terms of their contract, but it would allow them to go to the NFL since they have no agreement in place to respect CFL teams rights over players outside of their contracts.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:54:56 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
trapper

« Reply #294 on: May 17, 2018, 05:30:02 PM »

James Wilder could have gone to the NFL because CFL rights are of no consequence to them. Don't confuse holding rights with being under contract, they are not the same thing. The Argos would have held his CFL rights infinitely, however, he would no longer be under contract after one year. If he wanted to come back from suspension and play he could only do so for the Argos who have the right to either ratify what is remaining on his old contract or negotiate a new contract or trade his rights.

Basically put, you cannot sit out or retire from the CFL to get out of a CFL contract or away from a team that you have remaining term with, however, your contract still expires at the same time and the team only retains your rights. Sitting out would not allow Wilder or Durant to change teams or terms of their contract, but it would allow them to go to the NFL since they have no agreement in place to respect CFL teams rights over players outside of their contracts.

OK that all makes good sense. Thanks for clearing it up.
bluebeard

« Reply #295 on: May 17, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »

Riders sign QB B.J.Daniels.  They have been after him for a while.
Tehedra

« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »

My understanding is that the contracts are cumulative which means we retain his rights up until he carries out the contract or is released. So if he has a one year contract and he wants to unretire he still belongs to us for one year.
Tehedra

« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2018, 08:07:25 PM »

Riders sign QB B.J.Daniels.  They have been after him for a while.

What a name that quarterback has! 
trapper

« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2018, 08:22:35 PM »

My understanding is that the contracts are cumulative which means we retain his rights up until he carries out the contract or is released. So if he has a one year contract and he wants to unretire he still belongs to us for one year.

Under the same terms?  He may as well come back now, I'm sure he'll be cut.  Or show up at 50  Grin
theaardvark

« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »

Pretty sure the rights stay until the contract is fulfilled, meaning he plays a year...  or part thereof... which ain't ever happening.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: