Blue Bombers Forum
June 19, 2018, 11:14:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tandem Block  (Read 410 times)
Tehedra

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:21:46 PM »

I don't remember hearing about the tandem block last year; because this was the first time I had heard of it; but it is possible to miss these things with the way TSN often starts talking about worthless junk while the game is happening.
bowlerdude

« Reply #16 on: Today at 08:52:27 PM »

I've seen a tandem block called before for sure, but it's definitely super rare.

I started going through PBP from last year's games and found one in Week 2 between Edmonton and Montreal..
(05:42) D. DURANT Completed Pass to T. SUTTON, caught at E19 (16 yds, 16 YAC), Touchdown, Penalty: Illegal Block called on Montreal (P. BLAKE) (10 yds.) - No Play, Tandem Blocking penalty called on the play.

I checked the rest of the first half of the season, and that was the only one I found. (edit: I checked the whole season and playoffs, it was the only one)

I don't know what makes them call a Tandem Block penalty... kinda like Pyramiding... it happens to a certain degree fairly frequently, and seems kinda random when they actually call it
« Last Edit: Today at 08:56:54 PM by bowlerdude » Logged
gbill2004

« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:07:41 PM »

I don't remember hearing about the tandem block last year; because this was the first time I had heard of it; but it is possible to miss these things with the way TSN often starts talking about worthless junk while the game is happening.
It appears you are correct. It?s not here: https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/23/cfl-confirms-rule-changes-proposed-march/
TecnoGenius

« Reply #18 on: Today at 09:08:51 PM »

I've seen a tandem block called before for sure, but it's definitely super rare.

I started going through PBP from last year's games and found one in Week 2 between Edmonton and Montreal..
(05:42) D. DURANT Completed Pass to T. SUTTON, caught at E19 (16 yds, 16 YAC), Touchdown, Penalty: Illegal Block called on Montreal (P. BLAKE) (10 yds.) - No Play, Tandem Blocking penalty called on the play.

I stand corrected!  So there was one early last year.  Props to you guys for catching/remembering it.

I wonder if they called it "illegal block" on the field, without adding the "tandem block" part, or maybe it was Proulx again and I just didn't understand him?

The stats you are accessing there bowlerdude, do they have stats for earlier years too?  I wouldn't mind a quick search to see precisely how rare this call is.  What's the URL?

I don't know what makes them call a Tandem Block penalty... kinda like Pyramiding... it happens to a certain degree fairly frequently, and seems kinda random when they actually call it

I watch for pyramiding like a hawk, as it's one of those fouls I zero in on (not sure why).  I find pyramiding to occur very infrequently (in the last few years), and I don't mean called infrequently, I mean players just don't do it much.  Sneaks and ST plays are especially prone and they keep it pretty clean mostly.  Sure, some players give themselves an extra little boost with their hands, but you never really see players boosting with their feet, and when they do it's usually called, especially if it impacts the play.  I think I recall 1 pyramid call in the last 4 years?
gobombersgo

« Reply #19 on: Today at 09:29:51 PM »

The stats you are accessing there bowlerdude, do they have stats for earlier years too?  I wouldn't mind a quick search to see precisely how rare this call is.  What's the URL?

https://www.cfl.ca/schedule/

The website lists games dating back to the 2004 season. Access the play by play through each games' gametracker.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #20 on: Today at 09:40:09 PM »

The website lists games dating back to the 2004 season. Access the play by play through each games' gametracker.

Thanks!  I'm going to write a quick program to grab all the data into a DB (and not a defensive back!) so I can quickly answer questions like "how many tandem blocks called since 2004"...  I'll post the results later for the "rare" penalties.  (I ain't called "Tecno" for no reason  Wink  Cool )
bowlerdude

« Reply #21 on: Today at 10:14:25 PM »

Thanks!  I'm going to write a quick program to grab all the data into a DB (and not a defensive back!) so I can quickly answer questions like "how many tandem blocks called since 2004"...  I'll post the results later for the "rare" penalties.  (I ain't called "Tecno" for no reason  Wink  Cool )

I like this one: http://connectlive.cfl.ca/Schedule

it's more or less the same, but I find it a little cleaner and it has a few more stats
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: