Blue Bombers Forum
September 25, 2018, 07:13:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers Sign Gause and Wolff  (Read 4819 times)
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 01:11:58 AM »

More about the pass coverage being " iffy " and not always being able to stay with the RB's out of the backfield. However, that was then and this is now. Nothing says he couldn't have worked on his weakness's.

lets hope we have a winner here

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
theaardvark

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 01:19:33 AM »

Looks like the competition at MLB just got tougher. 

I think we should be able to find someone to fill that spot now...  and regardless who, it will be at a significant SMS savings over Muamba, and its looking like it might be at an improvement at this very important spot in the lineup over #10 as well.

Better, cheaper...  let the ratio balance elsewhere, we need a stud MLB more than a ratio breaker...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 03:14:16 AM »

I think we should be able to find someone to fill that spot now...  and regardless who, it will be at a significant SMS savings over Muamba, and its looking like it might be at an improvement at this very important spot in the lineup over #10 as well.

Better, cheaper...  let the ratio balance elsewhere, we need a stud MLB more than a ratio breaker...

We have no idea of whether we have a better MLB than Muamba. Cheaper sure. The rest is TBD with fingers crossed.

We don't need to find the best MLB in the CFL. If we do that's great. We just need to find one that is a good player and a bargain basement failure.

And yes we did and do need a ratio breaker. Easy to say find one somewhere else. We'll see how that works out as the season progresses.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 12:44:08 PM »

Big man that can run, and he is text book on the tackles. I like his size for the middle.
GCn18

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »

Comparing apples and oranges again I see. We save very little money by not signing Henoc Muamba, because he signed for a very reasonable price, we just move a big price tag out of MLBer to somewhere else in the lineup. Savings? Bupkus. instead of having a proven CFL MLBer and the ability to go 4 IMPS at receiver, we go unproven IMP at the most important defensive position and are forced to play 2 NAT receivers and have a terrible imbalance of our NAT ratio between offence and defence. Poor decision making by Walters this offseason imo. Signing LaFrance to 110k a year just keeps looking worse and worse.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:15:39 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »

We have no idea of whether we have a better MLB than Muamba. Cheaper sure. The rest is TBD with fingers crossed.

We don't need to find the best MLB in the CFL. If we do that's great. We just need to find one that is a good player and a bargain basement failure.

And yes we did and do need a ratio breaker. Easy to say find one somewhere else. We'll see how that works out as the season progresses.

I think, at least hope, he was referring to being better than Hurl.  To which I cannot imagine that one of these people isn't better than him.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 01:46:17 PM »

Comparing apples and oranges again I see. We save very little money by not signing Henoc Muamba, because he signed for a very reasonable price, we just move a big price tag out of MLBer to somewhere else in the lineup. Savings? Bupkus. instead of having a proven CFL MLBer and the ability to go 4 IMPS at receiver, we go unproven IMP at the most important defensive position and are forced to play 2 NAT receivers and have a terrible imbalance of our NAT ratio between offence and defence. Poor decision making by Walters this offseason imo. Signing LaFrance to 110k a year just keeps looking worse and worse.

Yep, the LaFrance signing was unexpected and it really threw a monkey wrench into the works both in terms of positioning and skewing their S.M.S. spending.  I'm willing to give Walters the benefit of doubt and wait to see how this all works out, but if they end up cutting Flanders I will not be pleased.
blueraid

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »

This guy looks like a very solid version of J.C. Sherritt in Edm....a little like Solo in B.C. as well, only built better...Gause could be the answer in the middle...I like the fact we're not pinning our hopes on what we had currently in the middle...Competition for that position in particular is great to see.
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »

You know that the roster is a dynamic thing.  Move one piece here, and you can move a different one there. 

Muamba is a great Nat MLB. But I'm not sure he will or ever has been in the discussion as the leagues best MLB.

We would like to have our player at MLB (arguably the most important D position) in that discussion.  Muamba is a nice player with a good passport, definately, and yes, I'd have been OK with signing him at $180k.  But it looks to me like the Bombers are interested in getting the best possible MLB, regardless passport.  And I am very good with that.

Ratio "breakers" are all well and good, but having your ratio in conventional positions is much more SMS friendly... 

As to LaFrance at $110k, I would venture a guess that we may see some 2 Nat back sets, and that this is a way to rest Harris now and then.    Plus, they are workout buddies, and should be very co-operative as well as competitive.  Having 3 of Harris, Lafrance, Demski, Coates and maybe even Wolitarski on the field at any time shouldn't be an issue, talent wise.  If they decide to go with a Nat rotating in every set on teh Dline, then that makes the above "2 of".  Which is even better.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »

So much for Josh Straughan, heading towards TC with only 3 arms.

Ed Tait @EdTaitWFC

The #Bombers add LB Quentin Gause, DB Earl Wolff; release QB Josh Straughan
8:07 AM - Apr 16, 2018

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:33:36 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GCn18

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »

You know that the roster is a dynamic thing.  Move one piece here, and you can move a different one there. 

Muamba is a great Nat MLB. But I'm not sure he will or ever has been in the discussion as the leagues best MLB.

We would like to have our player at MLB (arguably the most important D position) in that discussion.  Muamba is a nice player with a good passport, definately, and yes, I'd have been OK with signing him at $180k.  But it looks to me like the Bombers are interested in getting the best possible MLB, regardless passport.  And I am very good with that.

Ratio "breakers" are all well and good, but having your ratio in conventional positions is much more SMS friendly... 

As to LaFrance at $110k, I would venture a guess that we may see some 2 Nat back sets, and that this is a way to rest Harris now and then.    Plus, they are workout buddies, and should be very co-operative as well as competitive.  Having 3 of Harris, Lafrance, Demski, Coates and maybe even Wolitarski on the field at any time shouldn't be an issue, talent wise.  If they decide to go with a Nat rotating in every set on teh Dline, then that makes the above "2 of".  Which is even better.

Our defence will not improve if we do that. We don't have the depth. Whether you like it or not, a team is much stronger the more ratio breakers they have.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 02:38:27 PM »

I have a good feeling about this!

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
Maudie fingerjammer

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »

Looks like a special type of player on and off the field.

https://youtu.be/2OGIFxO4Qe0

https://youtu.be/HDN9tZI8OMk
dd

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »

the guy looks like a physical specimen and has the combine numbers to back it up. Let's hope that translates to impact play at MLB. Regardless, I am good to go with JSK, with Gause, Myles or Gauthier backing up...MLB is not an issue, remember , we had Sammy Hurl playing there last year, JSK is a massive upgrade, and now Gause will push him, bonus!!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Transactions - April 16, 2018

WINNIPEG, MB., April 16, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International linebacker Quentin Gause and International defensive back Earl Wolff.

Gause (6'0, 243, Rutgers University, October 30, 1992 in Rochester, NY) played four seasons for the Rutgers Scarlet Knights making 24 starts at strong-side linebacker and recording 190 total career tackles. In his senior season, he received the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award and was an All-Big Ten Honourable Mention. After going undrafted in the 2016 NFL Draft, he spent time with the Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots, and Denver Broncos.

Wolff (5'11, 210, North Carolina State, December 15, 1989 in Raeford, NC) was drafted 136 overall by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2013 NFL Draft. In his two seasons with the Eagles, he played in 18 games including seven starts and made 52 total tackles and one interception. Since then, he has spent time with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Washington Redskins and Indianapolis Colts.

The club has also released International quarterback Josh Straughan.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: