Blue Bombers Forum
September 25, 2018, 07:14:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers Sign Gause and Wolff  (Read 4832 times)
gbill2004

« on: April 15, 2018, 05:38:37 PM »

After moving on from Henoc Muamba, #Bombers bring in former #NFL LB Quentin Gause #Winnipeg #CFL #Eagles #Patriots #Broncos

http://3downnation.com/2018/04/15/after-moving-on-from-henoc-muamba-bombers-bring-in-former-nfl-lb/
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 05:45:19 PM »

6'0" 243 lbs. Sounds like a shorter stocky guy that could plug up the middle if he has enough speed to run sideline to sideline.

No more excuses.
gbill2004

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 05:45:35 PM »

Good scouting report on Gause here: https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/5/24/11759282/eagles-rookie-profile-quentin-gause-rutgers-linebacker-profile-scouting-report-philadelphia
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »

Like the size and positives seem to be about run stopping.  Other people can stop the pass.
Jesse

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »

This won?t appease fans who are uncomfortable with a rookie, but I like the idea of a competition between Jones, Wilson, and this newcomer.

Whether it?s at MLB or WIL, I have complete faith the JSK (who really looks the part, but I wasn?t comfortable with the idea of planning for Wild to be the other LB?r. Sounds like we?re planning for a competition among those spots. Good to see.
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 06:43:12 PM »

If doesn't matter if a rookie starts if he's a good player. Jones and Wilson are both heavier than Wild by about 15 - 20 lbs. Not too big to play WIL and about the same weight as JSK. Gause is nearly 30 lbs heavier than Wild and appears to be more in the competition at MLB.

So we could see Jones and Wilson getting reps at WIL or MLB.  That said we know we have 2 LB's that can play WIL. MLB is where we need a solution.

Essentially 4 players that could be that MLB guy at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:49:50 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Chris1982
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:58:52 PM »

He is huge!

gbill2004

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 07:26:13 PM »

He is huge!

Guy looks JACKED!!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »

Very good signing!

Here's his scouting report from when he was with the Broncos: https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/6/9/15768464/quentin-gause-broncos

Athletic, physical, tough and intelligent. Based on his highlight video above, he's a great tackler, fills his assignments well, is good in coverage and plays all over the field.

Gause also knows how to play special teams... Gause has a solid foundation to build on.

Seems like there's a ton of upside with him. Fingers crossed he's another pleasant surprise like Santos-Knox was last year.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Blue In BC

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 08:34:07 PM »

2 - What are his weaknesses?

"Gause is very well-rounded but I?d have to say his weaknesses are his height and pass coverage. He is listed at 6-1 but measured in at 6-0 at his pro day. His pass coverage is iffy, and couldn?t always stay with running backs coming out of the backfield. He is not incredibly agile and fluid when he drops into coverage but was usually able to save himself with his good recovery speed."

No more excuses.
Chris1982
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »

"Gause is very well-rounded but I?d have to say his weaknesses are his height and pass coverage. He is listed at 6-1 but measured in at 6-0 at his pro day. His pass coverage is iffy, and couldn?t always stay with running backs coming out of the backfield. He is not incredibly agile and fluid when he drops into coverage but was usually able to save himself with his good recovery speed."

Height and size as a "weakness" on an American scouting report are not applicable to the CFL standard - as they are usually graded towards a future in the NFL.
gbill2004

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 09:46:57 PM »

Height and size as a "weakness" on an American scouting report are not applicable to the CFL standard - as they are usually graded towards a future in the NFL.
Yep exactly. His size looks ideal for a CFL MLB.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »

he will need to improve on this if he wants to start

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 12:12:03 AM »

More about the pass coverage being " iffy " and not always being able to stay with the RB's out of the backfield. However, that was then and this is now. Nothing says he couldn't have worked on his weakness's.

No more excuses.
DM83

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 12:57:42 AM »

My god! A real linebacker! Pass the oxygen!
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 01:11:58 AM »

More about the pass coverage being " iffy " and not always being able to stay with the RB's out of the backfield. However, that was then and this is now. Nothing says he couldn't have worked on his weakness's.

lets hope we have a winner here

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
theaardvark

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 01:19:33 AM »

Looks like the competition at MLB just got tougher. 

I think we should be able to find someone to fill that spot now...  and regardless who, it will be at a significant SMS savings over Muamba, and its looking like it might be at an improvement at this very important spot in the lineup over #10 as well.

Better, cheaper...  let the ratio balance elsewhere, we need a stud MLB more than a ratio breaker...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 03:14:16 AM »

I think we should be able to find someone to fill that spot now...  and regardless who, it will be at a significant SMS savings over Muamba, and its looking like it might be at an improvement at this very important spot in the lineup over #10 as well.

Better, cheaper...  let the ratio balance elsewhere, we need a stud MLB more than a ratio breaker...

We have no idea of whether we have a better MLB than Muamba. Cheaper sure. The rest is TBD with fingers crossed.

We don't need to find the best MLB in the CFL. If we do that's great. We just need to find one that is a good player and a bargain basement failure.

And yes we did and do need a ratio breaker. Easy to say find one somewhere else. We'll see how that works out as the season progresses.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 12:44:08 PM »

Big man that can run, and he is text book on the tackles. I like his size for the middle.
GCn18

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »

Comparing apples and oranges again I see. We save very little money by not signing Henoc Muamba, because he signed for a very reasonable price, we just move a big price tag out of MLBer to somewhere else in the lineup. Savings? Bupkus. instead of having a proven CFL MLBer and the ability to go 4 IMPS at receiver, we go unproven IMP at the most important defensive position and are forced to play 2 NAT receivers and have a terrible imbalance of our NAT ratio between offence and defence. Poor decision making by Walters this offseason imo. Signing LaFrance to 110k a year just keeps looking worse and worse.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:15:39 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »

We have no idea of whether we have a better MLB than Muamba. Cheaper sure. The rest is TBD with fingers crossed.

We don't need to find the best MLB in the CFL. If we do that's great. We just need to find one that is a good player and a bargain basement failure.

And yes we did and do need a ratio breaker. Easy to say find one somewhere else. We'll see how that works out as the season progresses.

I think, at least hope, he was referring to being better than Hurl.  To which I cannot imagine that one of these people isn't better than him.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 01:46:17 PM »

Comparing apples and oranges again I see. We save very little money by not signing Henoc Muamba, because he signed for a very reasonable price, we just move a big price tag out of MLBer to somewhere else in the lineup. Savings? Bupkus. instead of having a proven CFL MLBer and the ability to go 4 IMPS at receiver, we go unproven IMP at the most important defensive position and are forced to play 2 NAT receivers and have a terrible imbalance of our NAT ratio between offence and defence. Poor decision making by Walters this offseason imo. Signing LaFrance to 110k a year just keeps looking worse and worse.

Yep, the LaFrance signing was unexpected and it really threw a monkey wrench into the works both in terms of positioning and skewing their S.M.S. spending.  I'm willing to give Walters the benefit of doubt and wait to see how this all works out, but if they end up cutting Flanders I will not be pleased.
blueraid

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »

This guy looks like a very solid version of J.C. Sherritt in Edm....a little like Solo in B.C. as well, only built better...Gause could be the answer in the middle...I like the fact we're not pinning our hopes on what we had currently in the middle...Competition for that position in particular is great to see.
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »

You know that the roster is a dynamic thing.  Move one piece here, and you can move a different one there. 

Muamba is a great Nat MLB. But I'm not sure he will or ever has been in the discussion as the leagues best MLB.

We would like to have our player at MLB (arguably the most important D position) in that discussion.  Muamba is a nice player with a good passport, definately, and yes, I'd have been OK with signing him at $180k.  But it looks to me like the Bombers are interested in getting the best possible MLB, regardless passport.  And I am very good with that.

Ratio "breakers" are all well and good, but having your ratio in conventional positions is much more SMS friendly... 

As to LaFrance at $110k, I would venture a guess that we may see some 2 Nat back sets, and that this is a way to rest Harris now and then.    Plus, they are workout buddies, and should be very co-operative as well as competitive.  Having 3 of Harris, Lafrance, Demski, Coates and maybe even Wolitarski on the field at any time shouldn't be an issue, talent wise.  If they decide to go with a Nat rotating in every set on teh Dline, then that makes the above "2 of".  Which is even better.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »

So much for Josh Straughan, heading towards TC with only 3 arms.

Ed Tait @EdTaitWFC

The #Bombers add LB Quentin Gause, DB Earl Wolff; release QB Josh Straughan
8:07 AM - Apr 16, 2018

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:33:36 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GCn18

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »

You know that the roster is a dynamic thing.  Move one piece here, and you can move a different one there. 

Muamba is a great Nat MLB. But I'm not sure he will or ever has been in the discussion as the leagues best MLB.

We would like to have our player at MLB (arguably the most important D position) in that discussion.  Muamba is a nice player with a good passport, definately, and yes, I'd have been OK with signing him at $180k.  But it looks to me like the Bombers are interested in getting the best possible MLB, regardless passport.  And I am very good with that.

Ratio "breakers" are all well and good, but having your ratio in conventional positions is much more SMS friendly... 

As to LaFrance at $110k, I would venture a guess that we may see some 2 Nat back sets, and that this is a way to rest Harris now and then.    Plus, they are workout buddies, and should be very co-operative as well as competitive.  Having 3 of Harris, Lafrance, Demski, Coates and maybe even Wolitarski on the field at any time shouldn't be an issue, talent wise.  If they decide to go with a Nat rotating in every set on teh Dline, then that makes the above "2 of".  Which is even better.

Our defence will not improve if we do that. We don't have the depth. Whether you like it or not, a team is much stronger the more ratio breakers they have.

blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 02:38:27 PM »

I have a good feeling about this!

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
Maudie fingerjammer

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »

Looks like a special type of player on and off the field.

https://youtu.be/2OGIFxO4Qe0

https://youtu.be/HDN9tZI8OMk
dd

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »

the guy looks like a physical specimen and has the combine numbers to back it up. Let's hope that translates to impact play at MLB. Regardless, I am good to go with JSK, with Gause, Myles or Gauthier backing up...MLB is not an issue, remember , we had Sammy Hurl playing there last year, JSK is a massive upgrade, and now Gause will push him, bonus!!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Transactions - April 16, 2018

WINNIPEG, MB., April 16, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International linebacker Quentin Gause and International defensive back Earl Wolff.

Gause (6'0, 243, Rutgers University, October 30, 1992 in Rochester, NY) played four seasons for the Rutgers Scarlet Knights making 24 starts at strong-side linebacker and recording 190 total career tackles. In his senior season, he received the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award and was an All-Big Ten Honourable Mention. After going undrafted in the 2016 NFL Draft, he spent time with the Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots, and Denver Broncos.

Wolff (5'11, 210, North Carolina State, December 15, 1989 in Raeford, NC) was drafted 136 overall by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2013 NFL Draft. In his two seasons with the Eagles, he played in 18 games including seven starts and made 52 total tackles and one interception. Since then, he has spent time with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Washington Redskins and Indianapolis Colts.

The club has also released International quarterback Josh Straughan.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »

24 starts at strong-side linebacker

I guess he can cover at the NCAA level...  SAM in NFL is a good translation to MLB in CFL... hopefully he turns out to be the CFL perfect tweener.

He does look like a guy that works at his craft, at least in the weightroom.  Hopefully it translates onto the field.  We all remember physical specimens like Bloi Dei Dorzon and "best athlete in the CFL" Nic Grigsby didn't pan out...

kkc60

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 08:23:33 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Transactions - April 16, 2018

WINNIPEG, MB., April 16, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International linebacker Quentin Gause and International defensive back Earl Wolff.

Gause (6'0, 243, Rutgers University, October 30, 1992 in Rochester, NY) played four seasons for the Rutgers Scarlet Knights making 24 starts at strong-side linebacker and recording 190 total career tackles. In his senior season, he received the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award and was an All-Big Ten Honourable Mention. After going undrafted in the 2016 NFL Draft, he spent time with the Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots, and Denver Broncos.

Wolff (5'11, 210, North Carolina State, December 15, 1989 in Raeford, NC) was drafted 136 overall by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2013 NFL Draft. In his two seasons with the Eagles, he played in 18 games including seven starts and made 52 total tackles and one interception. Since then, he has spent time with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Washington Redskins and Indianapolis Colts.

The club has also released International quarterback Josh Straughan.

So we add another DB (already have about 100) and cut a QB that looked promising so we could roll into TC with exactly 3 QBs. Hope we add another QB.
Mike

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 08:26:44 PM »

We didn't pay LaFrance that much at all ...
dd

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »

I don't think it was what we paid LaFrance that caused problems, its what we paid Demski.

Water under the bridge, and we've moved on, we'll see if it was right or wrong in a few months.
sweep the leg

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 08:42:15 PM »

Signing LaFrance to 110k a year just keeps looking worse and worse.

That's why the Riders cut him. We only paid him around $80k.

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/13/bombers-sign-former-riders-canadian-rb-kienan-lafrance/
gbill2004

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/13/bombers-sign-former-riders-canadian-rb-kienan-lafrance/
Yep I heard Lafrance got $85k from the Bombers.
gobombersgo

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 09:18:47 PM »

Jeff Hamilton   @jeffkhamilton   
The one-year deal for Kienan LaFrance is said to be around 80K. Nice little insurance plan behind @andrewharris33. Putting WIN back in Winnipeg for an offence that looks even better than 2017. #wfp
https://twitter.com/jeffkhamilton/status/963500078823550976

theaardvark

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 09:29:41 PM »

So we add another DB (already have about 100) and cut a QB that looked promising so we could roll into TC with exactly 3 QBs. Hope we add another QB.

Did we "cut" Straughan, or was there another consideration?  He was "released", does not say at whose behest.  Maybe he got another opportunity...

gobombersgo

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »

Did we "cut" Straughan, or was there another consideration?  He was "released", does not say at whose behest.  Maybe he got another opportunity...

Darren Cameron  @Darren_Cameron 30 minutes ago
We were informed recently that Josh had suffered an injury that would keep him out for months.  This is why he was released.

theaardvark

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 10:19:40 PM »

We were informed recently that Josh had suffered an injury that would keep him out for months.  This is why he was released.

Or there's that...

SSC

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 12:08:34 AM »

I like the trend of bringing in some size at DB.
Tevin Homer 6-2 190
Travis Howard 6-1 200
Cody Prewitt 6-2 210
and now,
Earl Wolff 5-11 210

No harm in having a few fire hydrants flying around out there.
kkc60

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 01:40:43 AM »

Hopefully we still bring in another camp arm. Have an actual competition for the #3 spot
GCn18

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2018, 11:27:46 AM »

Ok...that's a better number and I'm glad to hear it, but my point remains the same. I dislike the way Walters had built the ratio this year.

123James321

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »

I'm thinking Wolff is a candidate for WLB. Prewitt has more potential to play DB though

Ok...that's a better number and I'm glad to hear it, but my point remains the same. I dislike the way Walters had built the ratio this year.

You gotta build with whats available to you in your means.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »

Our defence will not improve if we do that. We don't have the depth. Whether you like it or not, a team is much stronger the more ratio breakers they have.

If only it were as simple as just signing every ratio-breaking NAT you want. Reality says otherwise.

Outside of not getting Muamba, what's there to dislike?

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 12:30:42 PM »

If only it were as simple as just signing every ratio-breaking NAT you want. Reality says otherwise.

I think he wanted the pick up of a FA "ratio breaker" to not be Demski in the 4th rec spot.  He'd rather have Muamba, Laurent, Westerman, Waud on D, even though most would have cost us more than Demski.  He wanted to have 4 Int WR's running around for Nichols to choose from when he's throwing, and not have 2 Nats in the checkdown...

Other than that, I can't see an issue with our ratio, especially the depth part of it...

Chris1982
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 12:41:41 PM »

http://3downnation.com/2018/04/16/bombers-sign-db-earl-wolff-nfl-experience/

Strengths
Solidly built defender able to make plays against the run and pass. Physical tackler coming downhill to attack ballcarriers, not afraid to bring intensity to the stop. Diagnoses and attacks. Breaks down quickly and wraps up the legs of receivers effectively to bring them down quickly after the catch. Uses relentless hustle to reach plays, even if on the opposite sideline. Flashes quickness to move from two-deep to a single-high look after the snap, as well as pick up vertical routes and stay with receivers in deep coverage. Displays sound footwork and technique in coverage. Aware zone defender who watches the quarterback and keeps an eye out for targets in his area. Has physical nature and athleticism to contribute on special teams immediately.

Weaknesses
Only average height for the position. Stronger backs can run through his tackles, especially when he leaves his feet. Fails to make the more difficult interception where he needs to go low or extend from his frame to bring in the ball. Must prove himself able to get off blocks when playing around the line of scrimmage.

-NFL.com
theaardvark

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2018, 12:48:36 PM »

Wow... that sounds pretty good.  Love the "Physical tackler" part, and "wraps the legs of the receiver".  Also, "physical nature and athleticism to contribute on special teams immediately." sound perfect for an MOS coached team.

Going to be some tough battles in TC... I don't think we'll be scrounging other teams cuts this year, but wouldn't be surprised if our discards land elsewhere...

blue_or_die

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »

If Demski plays to potential, he is a ratio-breaker. If he's either catching balls because defenses have to be overly focussed on Adams/Bowman/Dress, or has to be focussed on leaving the others exposed to do their thing, AND is returning, then that sounds like $150k to me.

There's a big difference between 4th and 5th receiver. He's not going to be Rory Kohlert.

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 04:36:46 PM »

If Demski plays to potential, he is a ratio-breaker. If he's either catching balls because defenses have to be overly focussed on Adams/Bowman/Dress, or has to be focussed on leaving the others exposed to do their thing, AND is returning, then that sounds like $150k to me.

There's a big difference between 4th and 5th receiver. He's not going to be Rory Kohlert.

100% agree.  I think Denski's style in our 4 spot is really going to work well.
GCn18

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »

6 NATs on offence and 1 on defence will stress our depth on one side of the ball.

GCn18

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2018, 06:18:37 PM »

I think he wanted the pick up of a FA "ratio breaker" to not be Demski in the 4th rec spot.  He'd rather have Muamba, Laurent, Westerman, Waud on D, even though most would have cost us more than Demski.  He wanted to have 4 Int WR's running around for Nichols to choose from when he's throwing, and not have 2 Nats in the checkdown...

Other than that, I can't see an issue with our ratio, especially the depth part of it...

Not at all. I like Demski. I feel very strongly that we need 4 IMP receivers or 3 IMP RB hybrid receiver (Flanders) on the field. That would likely mean that Coates sits down not Demski. I see little value in Lafrance at all and the difference between him and a rookie NAT would have bridged the difference we needed to get Muamba and not only solve our MLBer issue but spread the ratio a bit more between offence and defence. But if you're asking...I think we overpaid for Demski.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2018, 07:00:45 PM »

Not at all. I like Demski. I feel very strongly that we need 4 IMP receivers or 3 IMP RB hybrid receiver (Flanders) on the field. That would likely mean that Coates sits down not Demski. I see little value in Lafrance at all and the difference between him and a rookie NAT would have bridged the difference we needed to get Muamba and not only solve our MLBer issue but spread the ratio a bit more between offence and defence. But if you're asking...I think we overpaid for Demski.

we don't always agree but I do have to say... I agree with 100% of what you said... we COULD be fine if we are lucky enough to go all year without injuries or players needing a break, otherwise, unless something changes, we could be in trouble...  as I've said many times before, it's going to be tough to justify keeping Flanders because it's going to hard to get him on the field...

above someone alluded to Demski being a return guy as well... then why did we pick Fogg back up?  We would have been in a much better position if we would have had passed on LaFrance and resigned Westerman, or picked up Muamba, or any other Canadian defensive player that could do more than just 'plug a hole'. But no, we had to get LaFrance because otherwise Harris has to play every down... Unless you plan on sitting Bowman/Dressler and bringing in a 3rd national receiver as well...  then we have LaFrance at back and 3 national receivers on the field... doesn't spook me at all...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue72

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2018, 07:30:05 PM »

Maybe before the regular season starts we might try Neufeld in Hardrick spot and thus opens a spot for an extra IMP receiver or we trade/pick up a Nat cut from another team. Another way is to find another Nat DT in place of Nevis.

I would like to see what Wolltarsky brings to the table this year as he has been here a year already plus he has good size.

I also think that there will be a few vets or surprise cuts because of SMS from other teams which might help.
blue_or_die

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »

we don't always agree but I do have to say... I agree with 100% of what you said... we COULD be fine if we are lucky enough to go all year without injuries or players needing a break, otherwise, unless something changes, we could be in trouble...  as I've said many times before, it's going to be tough to justify keeping Flanders because it's going to hard to get him on the field...

above someone alluded to Demski being a return guy as well... then why did we pick Fogg back up?  We would have been in a much better position if we would have had passed on LaFrance and resigned Westerman, or picked up Muamba, or any other Canadian defensive player that could do more than just 'plug a hole'. But no, we had to get LaFrance because otherwise Harris has to play every down... Unless you plan on sitting Bowman/Dressler and bringing in a 3rd national receiver as well...  then we have LaFrance at back and 3 national receivers on the field... doesn't spook me at all...

Demski for KR, Foggy for PR (not sure if that's how it will actually shake out, but it's a possibility).

So if Demski or Coates gets hurt, Wolitarsky steps in, who is being lauded as a 4th/5th option. Obviously that puts more pressure on the other receivers, but that happens in all situations when your depth guy steps in.

Harris goes down, we have LaFrance.

Neufeld, Chungh, Goose go down and we have Couture and/or Spooner

Loffler goes down and we have Jones.

I don't see the panic, and I was huge on signing Muamba. But, I don't fault Walters' plan. Now had Muamba been available before FA, it would be a different story.

I don't think we were gonna pay Westerman the 8 million dollars or whatever Montreal offered him anyway, so that wasn't a huge surprise.

the paw

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2018, 08:11:56 PM »

I get your point, but I would say that the combination of Demski and Lafrance makes Flanders largely redundant, and he is a health scratch until needed.  I think Demski is as good as Flanders as a receiver, and I think Lafrance is more than adequate to back up Harris.  (barring longer term injuries).

In terms of having a fourth import receiver, I think that is a lot less necessary when Dressler, Adams and Bowman are your top 3. 

I think Walters has moved ratio more to the offensive side of the ball, but I don't think we have given up any potency, we may have actually improved.

I would have liked Muamba too, but that ship has sailed.  I think the ratio can work this way.  I think Calgary used to run with a single NI on defence back when Cornish was in the backfield. 

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2018, 08:12:50 PM »

Demski is too good to be a 5th WR... and Coates is perfect as a 5th WR.  

What is the difference in having Demski at 4th Rec, vs. Muamba at MLB?  It means a Nat at a much less important position that can still contribute, and in case of injury, is much easier to replace with less downside.  And less SMS.  And hopefully, a better MLB, which we all know is paramount this year.

Having 6 Nats on O does mean that depth can be an issue, but also could be a benefit.  It means we should have more Nat's on O capable of Next Man Up,  if you lose a WR, you can swap Neufeld out to RT is you want...  and there is no reason you can't flop to a 2 Nat D the next series.. and have the same situation that would happen if you had a 2 Nat D with a D starter injured...  so I don't really see your point.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2018, 09:06:41 PM »

because if we had 2 quality national starters on Defense we could still start 6 nationals on offense if we choose to, but, when Harris needed a breather we could trot Flanders out there, a player that did so through out 2017 with acceptable results and be able to show 'run' still... I think anytime we send LaFrance out there we'll be tipping our hand to pass... Plus, it would have eliminated the need to pick up LaFrance and gave us more cap room to sign a quality national defensive player...  And, if we have to sub a defensive national to maintain ratio moving forward, it sounds to me like it weakens our defensive position, which is what really needed the upgrade from last year in the first place... If they were good enough to be a starter they would already be one...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2018, 09:12:42 PM »

Demski is too good to be a 5th WR... and Coates is perfect as a 5th WR.  

What is the difference in having Demski at 4th Rec, vs. Muamba at MLB?  It means a Nat at a much less important position that can still contribute, and in case of injury, is much easier to replace with less downside.  And less SMS.  And hopefully, a better MLB, which we all know is paramount this year.

Having 6 Nats on O does mean that depth can be an issue, but also could be a benefit.  It means we should have more Nat's on O capable of Next Man Up,  if you lose a WR, you can swap Neufeld out to RT is you want...  and there is no reason you can't flop to a 2 Nat D the next series.. and have the same situation that would happen if you had a 2 Nat D with a D starter injured...  so I don't really see your point.

What has Demski done period? Shown potential is what I hear but hasn't played a complete season in 3 years and has a total of 69 career catches, I believe, with only 19 last year of which only 5 catches over the last 7 games...  If you were handing out players, I'd take Muamba over Demski, all things being equal... Sure, there's a chance Demski blossoms into a great receiver... there's also a chance he's peaked... but you're entitled to your opinion...

theaardvark

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2018, 09:36:09 PM »

What has Demski done period? Shown potential is what I hear but hasn't played a complete season in 3 years and has a total of 69 career catches, I believe, with only 19 last year of which only 5 catches over the last 7 games...  If you were handing out players, I'd take Muamba over Demski, all things being equal... Sure, there's a chance Demski blossoms into a great receiver... there's also a chance he's peaked... but you're entitled to your opinion...

Demski at rec #4 and Muamba at MLB have two completely different responsibilities and contribution levels.  Muamba didn't really start contributing until year 3...  who knows what Demski's upside is.  I'm betting Lapo might...

With an Oline, a consistent QB to throw to him, an OC with a plan and 3 top notch receivers (and a top RB coming out of the backfield) ahead of him in the checkdown,  I'm guessing the WFC is expecting a decent return on investment from him.  He and Coates will fill the 4 and 5 spots quite well.  Sorry it doesn't leave a lot of room for LDW barring injury.. 

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2018, 11:19:41 PM »

because if we had 2 quality national starters on Defense we could still start 6 nationals on offense if we choose to, but, when Harris needed a breather we could trot Flanders out there, a player that did so through out 2017 with acceptable results and be able to show 'run' still... I think anytime we send LaFrance out there we'll be tipping our hand to pass... Plus, it would have eliminated the need to pick up LaFrance and gave us more cap room to sign a quality national defensive player...  And, if we have to sub a defensive national to maintain ratio moving forward, it sounds to me like it weakens our defensive position, which is what really needed the upgrade from last year in the first place... If they were good enough to be a starter they would already be one...

I expect Demski will be attempting to duplicate Flander's role from last season, contributing as a receiver and adding variation to the running game from the SB position.  I'm not convinced Demski has Flanders power to break tackles so that might be misguided thinking but he is a very good open field runner so he should be able to contribute plenty of YAC.  LaPo already mentioned that LaFrance is being groomed for this position as well so he will be able to back up both Harris as well as Demski.  To get Harris, Demski and LaFrance on the field for the occasional snap at F.B. they would have to pull Coates, which could be a deadly set to defend against within the red-zone.
DM83

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2018, 12:08:40 AM »

If the Bombers do that with those three guys, it would make defending them more difficult as each have slightly different skills  On their own, not so much a threat.  But if they switch them, differentndefendersnhabe to play them differently.  I could see that as beneficial to the Bombers.  All ya need is half a step, and that would give advantage Bombers.  Glad you pointed this out.
blue_or_die

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »

When used in situations, Lafrance has shown the ability to make huge plays. So that's what I expect.

GCn18

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »

When used in situations, Lafrance has shown the ability to make huge plays. So that's what I expect.

The only situation Lafrance has shown the ability to make huge plays is during a snowstorm. Other than one game in inclement whether he has not shown any ability to be a productive player in this league. I get he's a Winnipeg boy, but people around here are seriously pumping him up when he has not demonstrated any ability to be a starter or even a decent back up.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2018, 12:50:41 PM »

The only situation Lafrance has shown the ability to make huge plays is during a snowstorm. Other than one game in inclement whether he has not shown any ability to be a productive player in this league. I get he's a Winnipeg boy, but people around here are seriously pumping him up when he has not demonstrated any ability to be a starter or even a decent backup.

He's not a feature back. There are very few people saying he's going to carry the mail. He's not. He will be an adequate gameday backup. He will be able to step in and allow Harris a series off. He will hopefully be effective in a Flanders type role enjoying the mismatches that come with playing beside Harris in the backfield. That's going to be his role.
the paw

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »

He's not a feature back. There are very few people saying he's going to carry the mail. He's not. He will be an adequate gameday backup. He will be able to step in and allow Harris a series off. He will hopefully be effective in a Flanders type role enjoying the mismatches that come with playing beside Harris in the backfield. That's going to be his role.

I agree with this.  LaFrance is not a Harris/Cornish/Messam, nor even in the conversation.

In terms of ability I would put him above guys like Darryl Stephenson, Woodson, Greg Morris, and Shaq Murray-Lawrence, and a little below a guy like Matt Walters.  He has the ability to be an effective role player.

grab grass 'n growl
booch

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2018, 01:46:46 PM »

I don't expect Lafrance to be a vital part of the offence, nor should he be put in that spot...he is an in game depth guy and a rotational piece at best for I would assume certain looks.

Demski tho, I actually think if used right and and in the mold of how Drury was, and similar to Coombs now with looks out of the back field with, mix in some sweeps/runs/pitch=outs where teams have to contend with either him or Harris getting the ball....opening up a lot of space for others, as well as him used soley as a slot (not a wideout) I think he can be very effective in the Lapolice system....only "if" is hopefully he can become durable...

I think he was not used effectively to his strong suits in Saskatchewan and hence this label he is a mini-bust...or not worth the $$

I can see him if used right, getting somewhere in the hood of 600 yards receiving, 250 on the ground...and whatever yards he gains as a returner...if he plays all 18...does that and tosses in some TD'S then I think his salary can be justified
blueraid

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »

[/quote

AND all the while picking up nuances of Andrew's game...Harris has already said he will be taking Lafrance 'under his wing' so to speak and 'enlarge' his game...You never know where that could lead...Lafrance has talent and potential
theaardvark

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »

Harris, LaFrance, and Demski should be an interesting group with an interesting geographic component, both during and off-season.  Not sure how much they work out together, but it sounds like they are fairly familiar, and with Nichols and Lapo here full time too, seems like a fairly unique situation / opportunity.

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »

Definitely worth pursuing....like the fact he is a character guy and intelligent!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
theaardvark

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »

There seem to be a few real "keepers" coming to camp, and a lot of flyers... which is great, because you never know when you're going to find that diamond in the rough that has never progressed into the NFL but just "fits" the CFL game.

Probably some serious weeding before main camp still.  I'm guessing there is no real outlay of funds on these guys through training camp?  Do they get a PR type of wage though camp?

New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2018, 11:29:16 PM »

There seem to be a few real "keepers" coming to camp, and a lot of flyers... which is great, because you never know when you're going to find that diamond in the rough that has never progressed into the NFL but just "fits" the CFL game.

Probably some serious weeding before main camp still.  I'm guessing there is no real outlay of funds on these guys through training camp?  Do they get a PR type of wage though camp?

So what your saying is its the same as every year and what every team in the CFL does.

Its the same as every year.    Roll Eyes

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
theaardvark

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2018, 11:49:32 PM »

So what your saying is its the same as every year and what every team in the CFL does.

Its the same as every year.    Roll Eyes

Yeah... that's exactly what I'm saying...

Except that we have a pretty set roster, and there are a lot fewer spots available than probably any time this decade.  We have retained the players we liked, and recruited some pretty important pieces. 

So, any players that manage to get a roster spot will be improving our squad...  which is a pretty darned good squad as it stands.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2018, 04:53:04 AM »

Do all the new receivers we're bringing in from FA and US scouting mean that Givens and LDW are going to have a hard time sticking around?  LDW was solid and Givens looks ok but needs more time, but if any of the new "maybe" guys jump out in camp it may be tough on LDW/Givens.  I guess they'll have to step up their game, sink or swim.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2018, 06:39:22 AM »

Yep exactly. His size looks ideal for a CFL MLB.
He is similar to Elimimian who is listed at 6? 0? and 225 pounds....Gause is slightly heavier but has tremendous speed and vertical.   I?m excited to see what he can do for us! 

3rdand1.5

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »

Gause has me excited....hopefully I didn't just curse him...lol....I am very excited to see what a "true" IMO MLB can do.
theaardvark

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »

Do all the new receivers we're bringing in from FA and US scouting mean that Givens and LDW are going to have a hard time sticking around?  LDW was solid and Givens looks ok but needs more time, but if any of the new "maybe" guys jump out in camp it may be tough on LDW/Givens.  I guess they'll have to step up their game, sink or swim.

They will have the advantage of a year with Lapo's playbook...  so they will be able to compete stronger in TC from the get go.  But yeah, its not going to be a cakewalk for anyone this year, especially players that weren't starters last year.  And even they will be looking over thier shoulders, which is a good thing...

DM83

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »

Gauges video looks outstanding.  If not a football player, how about anything else?.  Great attitude.

Here is what I would,do,with LaFrance and Harris. Rotate them at RB

Flamders  would start at RB If Harris doessn't.
Otherwise I stick him in at SB, and rotate him whatwver, he is a situational,guy,,and defenses will have to account for him.

Demski has the position, and it is his to lose.  One of the slot backs,will,have,to replace Denmark on that corner route where he scored at least ten TDs in two,years.  Also, that SB will have to be a possession receiver,,and be good at and be satisfied making those tough drive extending catches.  Is Demski that guy? Or perhaps Bowman, and his inconsistent hands?

Whoever can perform that skill will earn a job and start in the Grey Cup,for,us.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2018, 04:05:56 PM »

Gause has me excited....hopefully I didn't just curse him...lol....I am very excited to see what a "true" IMO MLB can do.
That makes two of us....his video highlights are impressive however we shall evaluate his play after TC and hopefully it?s not a bust.   We desperately need a stud MLB for this team to advance to the dance!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:10:44 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2018, 04:08:40 PM »

Gauges video looks outstanding.  If not a football player, how about anything else?.  Great attitude.

Here is what I would,do,with LaFrance and Harris. Rotate them at RB

Flamders  would start at RB If Harris doessn't.
Otherwise I stick him in at SB, and rotate him whatwver, he is a situational,guy,,and defenses will have to account for him.

Demski has the position, and it is his to lose.  One of the slot backs,will,have,to replace Denmark on that corner route where he scored at least ten TDs in two,years.  Also, that SB will have to be a possession receiver,,and be good at and be satisfied making those tough drive extending catches.  Is Demski that guy? Or perhaps Bowman, and his inconsistent hands?

Whoever can perform that skill will earn a job and start in the Grey Cup,for,us.

You're missing the key fact that we may not be able to have Flanders on the 44 AR roster due to the ratio issue. Our DI's are Medlock, Fogg, Roh ( or rookie ) and a LB.

We don't have a 2nd Canadian DE to help in rotation and injury situation so an import DE makes the most sense. It's why we signed Roh even if a rookie provides TC competition. Someone like Casher for example.

It's possible that we don't find an import LB to keep as a DI / rotation player. Or they choose to rely on the Canadians in Briggs, Gauthier and Miles etc.

Not my preference but I suppose it's possible. Normally we do have an import LB as a DI.

I think we'd all like Flanders on the 44 AR but even if he was it would still be an issue. In order for him to start in game where Harris was injured it would require pulling an import receiver as well.

Also not a great in game option or longer term. Hence the problem with not being able to re-sign Westerman or someone like Muamba or Laurent.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2018, 10:11:02 PM »

Interesting  article by Earl Wolff https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/09/nfl-jacksonville-jaguars-earl-wolff-tale-of-survival-armed-robbery-kidnapping
the paw

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2018, 12:12:23 AM »

well, we know hes mentally tough, now lets see if he can still run...

grab grass 'n growl
DM83

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2018, 03:54:56 AM »

Roh isn't Canadian?
Oh my God! He's not good enough if he's American.  I thought he was.
Yes if He isn't then that limits Flanders on the AR each game.
That makes us weak

I am not impressed if those guys except Harris have to play full time.  Maybe Bowman comes in and regains his MOP status(. I doubt it)

I have to emphasize again, I am not impressed with the players brought in at receiver. No MLB and the lack of restating one of the. Big three FA.( Heath in particular, or Bond.

Maybe he has some univ player still to announce.
I don't see the team as improved at all.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2018, 04:47:29 AM »

Roh isn't Canadian?
Oh my God! He's not good enough if he's American.  I thought he was.
Yes if He isn't then that limits Flanders on the AR each game.
That makes us weak

I am not impressed if those guys except Harris have to play full time.  Maybe Bowman comes in and regains his MOP status(. I doubt it)

I have to emphasize again, I am not impressed with the players brought in at receiver. No MLB and the lack of restating one of the. Big three FA.( Heath in particular, or Bond.

Maybe he has some univ player still to announce.
I don't see the team as improved at all.
We are improved if someone in TC steps up and fills a key role as a starter.   We have never had a better QB stable with the acquisition of Durant.   I think our offence is improved with the addition of Bowman and Demski could give us a lot of options and not put as much load on Harris.   My question mark Is still on D and we need LB depth and a legit stud MLB which we haven?t had for awhile now....too long.   IF we can find that stud and that is a pretty big IF, I think our D will be ok as we can then actually stop the run putting less pressure on our DBs. 
The thing with Muamba was him  being Canadian and a legit starter....and we didn?t sign him and....even if he wasn?t as good as Singleton he was still a solid ratio breaking addition to any defence.   So my optimism was tempered somewhat when he signed with Montreal....yet we have to move on and make the best of the cards we have on the table. 

Nichols is a driven QB with a burning desire to win and he could have a very good year quite possibly carrying this team to a Grey Cup championship.

I just have a hunch we will be playing in Edmonton this November...that?s all it is.   Eventually after 28 Cup-Less years....the team and the fans have to seriously start believing you will win it all....that?s the mindset of Nichols and Harris and that can take us a long way.   These guys including Demski and LaFrance have a burning desire to bring the Cup home to Winnipeg and I really believe they will play a major role in our success as a team. 

Our fans can help carry this team as well just like the Jets fans are doing right now.   The last game of the series the fans were incredible and Bomber fans can be equally incredible.  I?m not that much into X and O analytics regarding our roster.....but overall I?m feeling quite positive about this season.

I hope I?m right.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:53:46 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »

I'm guessing that JSK is our starting MLB on day 1. Part of that is partially due to O'Shea's comments last year about Hurl. " He knows the system " and that does give JSK a step up against all comers.

Santos Knox is going to make the roster and I can't see any rookie pushing him enough to push him to a DI spot in the early going.

So IMO the more interesting questions are two fold.

1.  Does JSK push Wild to a DI spot.
2.  Does another LB looks better at MLB creating the domino effect in step 1.

Although these are the options I'm expecting but I concede it's possible JSK doesn't win either the MLB or WIL spots and does end up as the DI.

It's all just a guess at the moment. Coaches and fans are high on JSK and they may be right. OTOH it's always possible we sign the 2018 rookie of the year tomorrow or have already added him to the roster.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:33:55 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2018, 03:14:25 PM »

I think JSK is a stud and a baller and will be more than a competent and will only get better the more time he has to settle into the position. My concern is still with ratio... other than that I think we'll be ok...

Blue In BC

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2018, 06:27:37 PM »

I think JSK is a stud and a baller and will be more than a competent and will only get better the more time he has to settle into the position. My concern is still with ratio... other than that I think we'll be ok...

Quite possibly he's the answer we've been looking for at MLB. Like I said, I think he starts out as the #1 candidate at MLB in TC. Hopefully there is no early TC injury to slow him down etc.

OTOH, also interested to see if Jevaris Jones fits in somewhere. Several posters were high on him although not sure if he's  best suited to MLB or WIL. Perhaps he's another LB that could play either. At the moment I'm thinking he might be the early projected LB that becomes the DI.

We'll see who gets looks where in early days of main TC.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: