Blue Bombers Forum
July 17, 2018, 06:45:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which current roster player will be the most pleasant surprise in 2018
Ekakitie - 4 (26.7%)
Branning - 1 (6.7%)
Corney - 7 (46.7%)
Spooner - 1 (6.7%)
Wolitarisky - 2 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bomber 2018 : NI's ( back up's or rookie's )  (Read 498 times)
Blue In BC

« on: April 12, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »

Couldn't list all of them. Which player will be the best surprise in 2018?  Could be a player that makes a huge contribution on ST's or sees more and more time in rotation.

I have high hopes for Ekakitie in year 2. But also looking forward to see what Branning and Wolitarsky bring to the team.

Anybody else on your mind prior to the those we add in the draft?

EDIT: We all expect Ekakitie to develop this season and have a good year. In that sense it's hard not to pick him. OTOH the question is who does better than the current expectation. Gauging whether Ekakitie performs at a higher level than my expectation will make it difficult to interpret " surprise " per se.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:30:36 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 04:09:33 PM »

I think its tough to predict because most of these guys will need an injury before they have an opportunity to make an impact.  Corney and probably Ekakitie has the clearest path to playing time.  I voted for Corney because I think Ekakitie is another year away form making a significant impact. 
Jesse

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 04:12:19 PM »

I said Ekakitie. I think he will have the most opportunity and, because he wasn't involved much last year, he counts as a 'surprise'.

Spooner would be my next pick. But he may or may not even play. He's certainly next man up, I think though.

Corney, unless he is very successful, doesn't really count as a surprise pick for me. I expect him to continue to develop and hopefully start finishing more.

The rest I can't see being more than ST'rs.
Pigskin

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »

I think Spooner will start on the OL 5 games into the season after Neufled gets injured for the 100th time and Neufled will never see the field again.
gbill2004

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »

I think Spooner will start on the OL 5 games into the season after Neufled gets injured for the 100th time and Neufled will never see the field again.
I think Couture is next man up if/when Neufeld gets injured. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »

I said Ekakitie. I think he will have the most opportunity and, because he wasn't involved much last year, he counts as a 'surprise'.

Spooner would be my next pick. But he may or may not even play. He's certainly next man up, I think though.

Corney, unless he is very successful, doesn't really count as a surprise pick for me. I expect him to continue to develop and hopefully start finishing more.

The rest I can't see being more than ST'rs.

Yeah it's a complicated question because it will often take an injury for a player to see playing time.

However: I'll use Wolitarsky as an example. Does he start pushing Coates for playing time and begin seeing more time on the field as the season progresses?

This question might be better answered during TC when we see some actual practice reps. But it's a slow day and was curious who posters were looking forward to seeing take the next step.

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 05:09:34 PM »

1.  I expect Ekakitie to get reps and be visible this year, and continue in his progression.

2.  I think Couture will definitely get playing time, and am anxious to see if he lives up to his billing.

3.  I am hoping that they use Coates more this year, based on the strength of his playoff game and some very nice catches last year, I think he could be a very reliable 400 yard guy for us. 

grab grass 'n growl
Curling4Me

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 05:38:51 PM »

Wolitarksy for me because we have an unknown asset really, I think everyone expects him to be a backup but I can see him getting some playing time.

"Nobody sitting now in Winnipeg. Mcmanus for Amerson PICKED OFF ITS OVER NOW JURAN BOLDEN TOUCHDOWN WINNIPEG."
Chris Cuthbert
theaardvark

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 08:16:19 PM »

As exciting as all the vets we have returning are, and the FA's we signed will be, it is in teh rookies, both Nat and Int that we should see the most excitement.  I really hope that it is a truly open competition for most jobs, and that the best player ends up on the field.  I really don't want to lose any of the guys we've come to love, but if they get outplayed, then its a good thing. 

My only concern is that a new player comes in a rips out a huge TC, knocks a vet off the roster, and then forgets how to play. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: