Blue Bombers Forum
July 17, 2018, 06:53:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheaper food ?  (Read 2290 times)
Jesse

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 10:32:31 AM »

IMO, and we certainly have a wide range of them across just the few people talking here (much less the thousands at the actual games), the game and beer are expensive enough. I usually don?t eat at games unless it?s an emergency (had to go straight from work and haven?t eaten since lunch) and it?s entirely because of the cost of the food.

I don?t need high quality at a football game, I need something to fill the void. I like the suggestion of the WBB partially taking over some lower-priced food options. I think basic economic principles tell us that different price points don?t cut into each other?s profits, it simply allows more people to spend.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »

There was a burrito stand at IGF for the first two seasons (IIRC) but I can't recall seeing it the last two or three seasons. It was reasonably priced and pretty tasty from what I remember.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
bryan35

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »

Do they still run out of product before half time? When I questioned why the don't have stock they told me that they are volunteers....
I try to bring my own snacks now.
drahgon

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 05:20:44 PM »

My regular stops for food were either shwarma-khan or clay oven. The regular stuff from the ovation  stands was really poor quality imo. It was worth the extra buck or two to get something I would actually enjoy.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 06:23:52 PM »

I have purchased food only a couple times, I think it has always been Shwarma Khan...and have purchased beer, but only a few a game when I do drink due to the incredibly high costs.
I have done the Pinnacle lounge a few times.. but that's when it's not directly out of my pocket....I think the last time the bill was around $800.
It would be nice to have a cheap "snack' for kids. Adults well they can choose to eat/drink at games if they want, but at current prices it's insane to buy a "snack" for the kids. a cheaper option for something for the kids would go a long way IMO. Why not have "kids" size slushie for a couple bucks, or something along those lines. The more kids we get there the more of the next generation we can "hook"
bluengold204

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 06:33:56 PM »

I find most of the food options at the stadium to be garbage, even shwarma khan.  I like the restaurant but at the stadium it seems their wraps are smaller, as in not filled enough, and their beef lamb mixtures seems to be ground meat vs cut right off spit in the restaurant.  I am sure there are valid reasons for this but to me I am not getting the same quality as the restaurant and paying a higher price.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2018, 07:04:27 PM »

I find most of the food options at the stadium to be garbage, even shwarma khan.  I like the restaurant but at the stadium it seems their wraps are smaller, as in not filled enough, and their beef lamb mixtures seems to be ground meat vs cut right off spit in the restaurant.  I am sure there are valid reasons for this but to me I am not getting the same quality as the restaurant and paying a higher price.

Ladies and gentlemen, the definition of eating/drinking at a live sporting event. Nailed it.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
blue girl

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 07:14:54 PM »

Do they still run out of product before half time? When I questioned why the don't have stock they told me that they are volunteers....
I try to bring my own snacks now.
Well there's one concession stand on the eastside 200 level that always seems to run out of hot chocolate at the first cold game.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 08:30:33 PM »

Well there's one concession stand on the eastside 200 level that always seems to run out of hot chocolate at the first cold game.

Don't tell Aards Wink
CoryB

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 03:29:47 PM »

Staffing event concessions is a huge headache, and trying to run quality control of a food service outlet is challenging at the best of time, add in the headaches of it being event based, and there is a reason it is farmed out. 

With the right staff and crew, it could be both an amazing product and an amazing profit centre.  But that would mean WFC would have to make it worthwhile and commit to some of that staff and crew year round to be available for 11 games a year.

Keep in mind the majority of the front line people staffing concessions at Bomber games are getting paid absolutely nothing currently. They are there are volunteers to earn a group they support/are part of an honourium in lieu of being paid a wage and that is far below what someone would earn as minimum wage. Even if you look past the challenges of retaining quality staff for 11 sporadic events over a six month period, having to pay those people minimum wage (or better) would result in higher costs for food and beer to the end customer.

In terms of "cheaper" food one of strategies is to say serve 4 chicken fingers instead of 6, a 33% reduction, while cutting the price to the customer by 10%. End of the day you might be out of pocket less cash but you are also getting less food for your dollar. Part of that is also the cost of food purchased for sale at the stadium is going up too, it isn't as if those escalating prices are just so the Bombers can earn some extra revenue.

In terms of hot chocolate and coffee for cold weather games. I am shocked that years after the move to IGF this is still an issue. It isn't isolated to one stand but an issue across the whole building. How hard is it to have lots of portable coffee containers and get them filled up before the game and keep filling them on demand in some backroom. You then have runners taking them to each concession stand as needed. It is a bad joke that they are trying to make hot chocolate on demand in the concession stands. It is even worse when they are trying to pre-pour them so the "hot" chocolate is sitting on the counter in the below zero weather for 5-10 minutes (or longer) before it is even served. I might be a bit of a jerk of it but when I order I always tell them make me a fresh cup instead of one of those counter ones. That isn't even getting into how the open cups on the counter is a potential food safety violation.

As a serious suggestion in terms of cheaper food options, why not sell a normal sized hot dog instead of the foot long hot dogs that are sold now. Same idea as a burger, keep in simple and basic. Try to do something like a bag of chips, a normal size hot dog and a bottle drink for $5. Speaking of pop, the prices are just stupid. The cost to purchase those, in bulk, from Pepsi is under $2 a bottle. That they are being sold for $5 is a complete joke. It is almost as bad as the markup on beer.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »

In terms of "cheaper" food one of strategies is to say serve 4 chicken fingers instead of 6, a 33% reduction, while cutting the price to the customer by 10%. End of the day you might be out of pocket less cash but you are also getting less food for your dollar. Part of that is also the cost of food purchased for sale at the stadium is going up too, it isn't as if those escalating prices are just so the Bombers can earn some extra revenue.

As a serious suggestion in terms of cheaper food options, why not sell a normal sized hot dog instead of the foot long hot dogs that are sold now. Same idea as a burger, keep in simple and basic. Try to do something like a bag of chips, a normal size hot dog and a bottle drink for $5. Speaking of pop, the prices are just stupid. The cost to purchase those, in bulk, from Pepsi is under $2 a bottle. That they are being sold for $5 is a complete joke. It is almost as bad as the markup on beer.

I want nothing of these "ideas".

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
66 Chevelle

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2018, 03:46:21 PM »

I made the mistake of not converting my US cash to Canadian and all I had on me at the game was $100 bills... I'm not sure how much those 2 cups of hot chocolate actually cost me because I received Canadian dollars in change, lol... lesson learned...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Norm W

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »

We actually paid you for ordering the hot chocolate, I'm guessing you walked away (or you should have) with more than $100.00 in Cdn currency  Roll Eyes
66 Chevelle

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2018, 04:24:22 PM »

We actually paid you for ordering the hot chocolate, I'm guessing you walked away (or you should have) with more than $100.00 in Cdn currency  Roll Eyes

no, he treated my $100 US the same as a $100 C and gave me change in Canadian as well...  So I lost at least $20US just by handing him my bill, lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »

no, he treated my $100 US the same as a $100 C and gave me change in Canadian as well...  So I lost at least $20US just by handing him my bill, lol...

Try doing the reverse. Go to most states (especially southern ones) and try to pay with Canadian. The cashier will look at the bill like it's going to kill them just by touching it and then tell you they can't accept it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: