Blue Bombers Forum
April 23, 2018, 02:30:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheaper food ?  (Read 935 times)
blue_gold_84

Whiteout is coming.

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »

I haven?t heard of this. Can you expand?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/beer-canada-tax-prices-1.4491183

I'm no fan of more tax but this is much ado about nothing when you do the math. A lobby group for a couple of big breweries is all up in arms and trying to scare (possibly mislead) people into thinking they're going to be paying a lot more for beer (the tax is indexed to inflation so it will go up each year, hence the sensationalist headline 'escalator'). They always leave out the fact that the tax is on every 100 liters of beer. It might cut into their profits a bit - but it won't hurt you.

Essentially this year the tax will go from 10.8 cents to 11 cents per bottle. To put that into perspective, in order for it to cost you $10 dollars next year, you'd have to buy 3432 beers (or 143 cases of 24 bottles). Looking at it another way, assuming the projections are correct in terms of 1.5% increases year-over-year, the case of beer will go up by $1 in 2040 (as a result of this tax).

Here's a good article with in-depth analysis if you're really interested, it's also a good lesson not to trust industry lobby groups in the slightest:
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jordan-stjohn-/let-me-break-down-what-canadas-escalating-beer-tax-will-really-cost-you_a_23340121/

The effect on the consumer will be minimal (in the short- and long-term), but we already pay very high prices for beer, wine, and spirits in this country. I think that's part of why the beer industry is up in arms regarding this tax increase.

It is June yet?

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/beer-canada-tax-prices-1.4491183

The effect on the consumer will be minimal (in the short- and long-term), but we already pay very high prices for beer, wine, and spirits in this country. I think that's part of why the beer industry is up in arms regarding this tax increase.

Fair ball on being upset about high taxes on alcohol in Canada but don't let the lobby manipulate you. They are the group who actually lobbied for and successfully secured raising the minimum price of value brands in a number of provinces. They did this to make it harder for independent brands to compete with the mid-tier mainstream stuff that the majority buys and to shift consumers away from their own budget brands to their mid-tier mainstream product. In Ontario, one of the provinces they did this, the minimum price of beer went from just over $24 in 2009 before the change to $34.50 this year. Now they want you to be angry that a case of beer is going to cost a nickel more. It's absurd and they don't have your best interest as a consumer at heart.
blue_gold_84

Whiteout is coming.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »

Fair ball on being upset about high taxes on alcohol in Canada but don't let the lobby manipulate you. They are the group who actually lobbied for and successfully secured raising the minimum price of value brands in a number of provinces. They did this to make it harder for independent brands to compete with the mid-tier mainstream stuff that the majority buys and to shift consumers away from their own budget brands to their mid-tier mainstream product. In Ontario, one of the provinces they did this, the minimum price of beer went from just over $24 in 2009 before the change to $34.50 this year. Now they want you to be angry that a case of beer is going to cost a nickel more. It's absurd.

I remember. And that's why there's nothing to gain for the consumer to side with anyone in this fight. Beer Canada is no friend of the consumer here, despite whatever narrative it's trying to peddle.

The HuffPost link you included is something I've shared previously when people have shared the Ax The Beer Tax Petition link on FB. There's a ton of good information in that article.

It is June yet?

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »

Didn't the Atlanta Falcons have success last year when they lowered their concession prices? Do they operate their own concessions then? If so, that means they were able to staff and manage it.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
Chris1982

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »

It is one of the indisputable axioms in pro sports: Teams that open new stadiums raise prices for tickets, parking and food. After all, the owners have to recoup the hundreds of millions ? or billions ? of dollars in construction costs.

Arthur M. Blank, the owner of the N.F.L.?s Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United of Major League Soccer, has tried to break the mold, at least for food and drinks. When he opened Mercedes-Benz Stadium last year, he included concession stands selling craft beer, designer sandwiches and high-end barbecue.

But he also included a value menu, with bottomless soft drinks, $2 hot dogs, $5 cheeseburgers and other affordable items. The idea was to give fans a break while acknowledging that the price to attend games, including personal seat licenses for season-ticket holders, was more expensive than in the Falcons? previous home, the Georgia Dome.

The approach has paid dividends. Despite a 50 percent decrease in prices for food and nonalcoholic drinks compared to prices in the Georgia Dome, the amount spent per fan increased by 16 percent, Blank?s sports company, AMB Sports and Entertainment, said on Thursday.

The results suggest that fans will consume more if prices are kept at more reasonable levels, with potentially no effects on the team?s bottom line.

?I understand bringing kids to sporting events and saving up for tickets, and when you get inside you have to buy them food, and a hot dog that is $2 outside is suddenly $7 inside, and being frustrated by it,? Blank said. ?You find ways to tell fans beyond words that you really care about their interests.?

Fans in Atlanta appear to have embraced Blank?s strategy. According to surveys of fans by the N.F.L., Mercedes-Benz Stadium ranked No. 1 in terms of quality, value, speed of service and variety. The number of fans who arrived earlier before games increased by 10 percent as well, indicating that dining options inside the stadium were better than those in the surrounding area.

Part of the improvement is obvious. Mercedes-Benz Stadium is the newest venue in the N.F.L., which means the kitchens and other infrastructure are newer than those in other stadiums. The Falcons also made it to the Super Bowl last season, so fan interest was high. And new stadiums almost always draw more fans because of their novelty.

Chris Bigelow, a stadium concessions consultant, said the novelty of selling basic food items at a lower price appeared to be a hit in Atlanta. But he has not seen any specific financial figures suggesting that the approach is anything more than a loss-leader.

He added that about 70 percent of revenue for N.F.L. teams comes from leaguewide television, sponsorship and merchandise contracts, so they do not need to rely on money from food and beverage sales in their stadiums as much as teams in other leagues.

?In the grand scheme of things, you could give food away,? he said.

And while fans may welcome inexpensive food options, they may only partly offset the higher prices for tickets and personal seat licenses.

For now, no other team appears to have copied Blank?s strategy, which he said was based on his experience as a co-founder of Home Depot.

Mike Gomes, the senior vice president for fan experience at AMB Sports and Entertainment, said the teams benefited from being able to design larger and more efficient concession stands from scratch in a new stadium. But he said the key was making sure the food wasn?t just cheap, but good.

?No one wants a $2 hot dog when it?s cold,? he said, ?and no one wants a $2 hot dog when they are sold out.?

Winnipeg born and raised, Oak Park alum.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »

Quote from: blue_or_die link=topic=50144.msg1431264#msg1431264 dotta ate=1523384952
Didn't the Atlanta Falcons have success last year when they lowered their concession prices? Do they operate their own concessions then? If so, that means they were able to staff and manage it.

Yes - lots was written about it..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/sports/football/nfl-concessions.html

gotta also keep in mind that minimum wage in Atlanta is $5.15 and here its $11.15...big difference so we will likely never see a $2 hot dog here - that said you could probably do a $4 hot dog and sell a bunch.  We don't eat that often at the stadium anymore - I can go 4-5 hours without eating, do it everyday at work.

http://mercedesbenzstadium.com/food-beverage/

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 07:19:10 PM »

Yes - lots was written about it..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/sports/football/nfl-concessions.html

gotta also keep in mind that minimum wage in Atlanta is $5.15 and here its $11.15...big difference so we will likely never see a $2 hot dog here - that said you could probably do a $4 hot dog and sell a bunch.  We don't eat that often at the stadium anymore - I can go 4-5 hours without eating, do it everyday at work.

http://mercedesbenzstadium.com/food-beverage/

Easy solution: Give Costco the stadium. Hotdog and a drink would be $1.50! Tongue
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 07:29:15 PM »

Easy solution: Give Costco the stadium. Hotdog and a drink would be $1.50! Tongue

and that price has stayed the same for years!!  Pretty good quality too...
Chris1982

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »

Costco poutine is the best poutine ever.

Winnipeg born and raised, Oak Park alum.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »

i do enjoy their poutine...i get 1/2 gravy so it doesn't drown all the crispiness of the fries...
gbill2004

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 08:23:12 PM »

I agree 100%!!!  So basic and so good!! 
blue girl

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »

I'm in the minority in that I would gladly pay more if they would only offer more gluten free options. At least have fries that are gluten free. I'll even bring my own bun if I can get a bunless burger.  Smiley
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 11:57:40 PM »

I'm in the minority in that I would gladly pay more if they would only offer more gluten free options. At least have fries that are gluten free. I'll even bring my own bun if I can get a bunless burger.  Smiley

My wife would like that too!

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 12:01:31 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the majority of the food at the stadium is terrible and fast food quality.  Moving away from Ovations would be a huge plus.  At the least it could be cheaper.

Bombers can do better and I hope they do.  Wade is a good business man and I hope he figures it out.  Make it fresh, local and innovative.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 08:18:54 AM »

My main beef is that when it started getting cold the popsicle stand on W-side 200-level disappeared!  Seriously miffed I couldn't get my halftime popsicle at the WSF.

Don't they know Winnipeggers eat slurpees and ice cream even when it's -7C?

As for hot-food quality, Shawarma and Clay Oven and (usually) Dannys are all very good quality; but certainly not cheap.  Sals is always good too; well, normal Sals quality anyway.

Best food deal @IGF in '17 was the perogy/kulbesa on a stick.  $4 and you're full for a quarter at least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: