Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 08:06:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheaper food ?  (Read 3384 times)
Sec223

« on: April 10, 2018, 11:10:58 AM »

Wade Miller announced yesterday the Bombers will be taking over some of the game day food. He said "some items will be cheaper". Sure hope it's going to be good quality.
gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 11:55:11 AM »

I think it's a good idea for the Bombers to take over more of the game day good management.  I've called the Bombers a couple times with questions on food services at IGF and often they cannot respond and say it is managed by a third party (can't remember the companies name right now).  The Bombers did implement some cheaper options last year, which were a little hard to find, and nice to see more options will be implemented this season. 
bluengold204

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »

I'm more interested in cheaper beer prices
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »

lol don?t bet on it!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:50:30 PM »

Don't hold your breath. Especially with that stupid "escalator" tax on beer slated to start this month.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »

Don't hold your breath. Especially with that stupid "escalator" tax on beer slated to start this month.

I haven?t heard of this. Can you expand?

My wife is amazing!
gobombersgo

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »

Wade Miller announced yesterday the Bombers will be taking over some of the game day food. He said "some items will be cheaper". Sure hope it's going to be good quality.
Last year we were told that some items like chicken tenders were going to be cheaper.

Well, the price of chicken tenders and fries actually went up in price.

The company that runs the Bombers concessions is Ovations Food Services.

bluengold204

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 01:20:38 PM »

Lol I know it won't happen
Chris1982
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »

I would bet money that cheaper prices will equal cheaper quality.  It may "taste" the same, but pretty much everything tastes the same when its deep fried in lard.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »

I'm no fan of more tax but this is much ado about nothing when you do the math. A lobby group for a couple of big breweries is all up in arms and trying to scare (possibly mislead) people into thinking they're going to be paying a lot more for beer (the tax is indexed to inflation so it will go up each year, hence the sensationalist headline 'escalator'). They always leave out the fact that the tax is on every 100 liters of beer. It might cut into their profits a bit - but it won't hurt you.

Essentially this year the tax will go from 10.8 cents to 11 cents per bottle. To put that into perspective, in order for it to cost you $10 dollars next year, you'd have to buy 3432 beers (or 143 cases of 24 bottles). Looking at it another way, assuming the projections are correct in terms of 1.5% increases year-over-year, the case of beer will go up by $1 in 2040 (as a result of this tax).

Here's a good article with in-depth analysis if you're really interested, it's also a good lesson not to trust industry lobby groups in the slightest:
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jordan-stjohn-/let-me-break-down-what-canadas-escalating-beer-tax-will-really-cost-you_a_23340121/

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:33:52 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »

An interesting solution IMO would be for the Bombers to manage ~half of the concession areas and handle the most basic stuff: hot dogs, burgers, chicken fingers, fries/poutine and Inbev beer and soft drinks, and then license out the other half to established, niche brands like Clay oven, Shawarma, perogies, craft/microbrew, etc kind of like Shaw Park. The Bomber stuff could be kept at a reduced cost (relative to paying the profit margins of a third party) and they would still make a killing because of both volume and that their product is the highest demand anyway, and the other "premium outlets" could charge more for those willing to pay more for something different/higher quality. Seems win-win.
gbill2004

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »

Last year we were told that some items like chicken tenders were going to be cheaper.

Well, the price of chicken tenders and fries actually went up in price.

The company that runs the Bombers concessions is Ovations Food Services.
This is true.  My GF gets chicken fingers and fries most games, and for the first few games last season the price changed every game.  So we followed up and the Bombers could not answer our questions as to why the price changed every game.  A few months later we received a reply saying that it was an issue with training Ovations staff and they were not ringing it up in the cash register properly.  Long story short, the price did go up quite a but last year for chicken fingers and fries.  Bomber office was very nice in that they gave us a couple coupons for food in the concourse.  
gbill2004

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »

An interesting solution IMO would be for the Bombers to manage ~half of the concession areas and handle the most basic stuff: hot dogs, burgers, chicken fingers, fries/poutine and Inbev beer and soft drinks, and then license out the other half to established, niche brands like Clay oven, Shawarma, perogies, craft/microbrew, etc kind of like Shaw Park. The Bomber stuff could be kept at a reduced cost (relative to paying the profit margins of a third party) and they would still make a killing because of both volume and that their product is the highest demand anyway, and the other "premium outlets" could charge more for those willing to pay more for something different/higher quality. Seems win-win.
I agree.  All Ovations does is ad to the cost by creating a middle man.  Bombers doing it themselves would allow more control over the costs, and likely lower prices.  Downside is that Wade then needs to worry about hiring people to work in the concessions, which is probably a challenge given the limited number of hours.
theaardvark

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »

I agree.  All Ovations does is ad to the cost by creating a middle man.  Bombers doing it themselves would allow more control over the costs, and likely lower prices.  Downside is that Wade then needs to worry about hiring people to work in the concessions, which is probably a challenge given the limited number of hours.

Staffing event concessions is a huge headache, and trying to run quality control of a food service outlet is challenging at the best of time, add in the headaches of it being event based, and there is a reason it is farmed out. 

With the right staff and crew, it could be both an amazing product and an amazing profit centre.  But that would mean WFC would have to make it worthwhile and commit to some of that staff and crew year round to be available for 11 games a year.  I think the last thing WFC club wants to get into is the food service industry.  Maybe there is a strategic partnership with a soup kitchen or the university commissary...

That said, I know last year that they were venturing into it a bit, in some of the carts.  The same crew that does the Pinnacle Club was doing the tacos, and I'm pretty sure those weren't ovations people. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »

Staffing event concessions is a huge headache, and trying to run quality control of a food service outlet is challenging at the best of time, add in the headaches of it being event based, and there is a reason it is farmed out. 

With the right staff and crew, it could be both an amazing product and an amazing profit centre.  But that would mean WFC would have to make it worthwhile and commit to some of that staff and crew year round to be available for 11 games a year.  I think the last thing WFC club wants to get into is the food service industry.  Maybe there is a strategic partnership with a soup kitchen or the university commissary...

That said, I know last year that they were venturing into it a bit, in some of the carts.  The same crew that does the Pinnacle Club was doing the tacos, and I'm pretty sure those weren't ovations people. 
I noticed that the Bombers have some career fairs coming up, so maybe that's part of their plan to take over the concessions.  I believe the career fair ads said it was for seasonal part-time work. 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/beer-canada-tax-prices-1.4491183

I'm no fan of more tax but this is much ado about nothing when you do the math. A lobby group for a couple of big breweries is all up in arms and trying to scare (possibly mislead) people into thinking they're going to be paying a lot more for beer (the tax is indexed to inflation so it will go up each year, hence the sensationalist headline 'escalator'). They always leave out the fact that the tax is on every 100 liters of beer. It might cut into their profits a bit - but it won't hurt you.

Essentially this year the tax will go from 10.8 cents to 11 cents per bottle. To put that into perspective, in order for it to cost you $10 dollars next year, you'd have to buy 3432 beers (or 143 cases of 24 bottles). Looking at it another way, assuming the projections are correct in terms of 1.5% increases year-over-year, the case of beer will go up by $1 in 2040 (as a result of this tax).

Here's a good article with in-depth analysis if you're really interested, it's also a good lesson not to trust industry lobby groups in the slightest:
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jordan-stjohn-/let-me-break-down-what-canadas-escalating-beer-tax-will-really-cost-you_a_23340121/

The effect on the consumer will be minimal (in the short- and long-term), but we already pay very high prices for beer, wine, and spirits in this country. I think that's part of why the beer industry is up in arms regarding this tax increase.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/beer-canada-tax-prices-1.4491183

The effect on the consumer will be minimal (in the short- and long-term), but we already pay very high prices for beer, wine, and spirits in this country. I think that's part of why the beer industry is up in arms regarding this tax increase.

Fair ball on being upset about high taxes on alcohol in Canada but don't let the lobby manipulate you. They are the group who actually lobbied for and successfully secured raising the minimum price of value brands in a number of provinces. They did this to make it harder for independent brands to compete with the mid-tier mainstream stuff that the majority buys and to shift consumers away from their own budget brands to their mid-tier mainstream product. In Ontario, one of the provinces they did this, the minimum price of beer went from just over $24 in 2009 before the change to $34.50 this year. Now they want you to be angry that a case of beer is going to cost a nickel more. It's absurd and they don't have your best interest as a consumer at heart.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »

Fair ball on being upset about high taxes on alcohol in Canada but don't let the lobby manipulate you. They are the group who actually lobbied for and successfully secured raising the minimum price of value brands in a number of provinces. They did this to make it harder for independent brands to compete with the mid-tier mainstream stuff that the majority buys and to shift consumers away from their own budget brands to their mid-tier mainstream product. In Ontario, one of the provinces they did this, the minimum price of beer went from just over $24 in 2009 before the change to $34.50 this year. Now they want you to be angry that a case of beer is going to cost a nickel more. It's absurd.

I remember. And that's why there's nothing to gain for the consumer to side with anyone in this fight. Beer Canada is no friend of the consumer here, despite whatever narrative it's trying to peddle.

The HuffPost link you included is something I've shared previously when people have shared the Ax The Beer Tax Petition link on FB. There's a ton of good information in that article.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
blue_or_die

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »

Didn't the Atlanta Falcons have success last year when they lowered their concession prices? Do they operate their own concessions then? If so, that means they were able to staff and manage it.
Chris1982
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »

It is one of the indisputable axioms in pro sports: Teams that open new stadiums raise prices for tickets, parking and food. After all, the owners have to recoup the hundreds of millions ? or billions ? of dollars in construction costs.

Arthur M. Blank, the owner of the N.F.L.?s Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United of Major League Soccer, has tried to break the mold, at least for food and drinks. When he opened Mercedes-Benz Stadium last year, he included concession stands selling craft beer, designer sandwiches and high-end barbecue.

But he also included a value menu, with bottomless soft drinks, $2 hot dogs, $5 cheeseburgers and other affordable items. The idea was to give fans a break while acknowledging that the price to attend games, including personal seat licenses for season-ticket holders, was more expensive than in the Falcons? previous home, the Georgia Dome.

The approach has paid dividends. Despite a 50 percent decrease in prices for food and nonalcoholic drinks compared to prices in the Georgia Dome, the amount spent per fan increased by 16 percent, Blank?s sports company, AMB Sports and Entertainment, said on Thursday.

The results suggest that fans will consume more if prices are kept at more reasonable levels, with potentially no effects on the team?s bottom line.

?I understand bringing kids to sporting events and saving up for tickets, and when you get inside you have to buy them food, and a hot dog that is $2 outside is suddenly $7 inside, and being frustrated by it,? Blank said. ?You find ways to tell fans beyond words that you really care about their interests.?

Fans in Atlanta appear to have embraced Blank?s strategy. According to surveys of fans by the N.F.L., Mercedes-Benz Stadium ranked No. 1 in terms of quality, value, speed of service and variety. The number of fans who arrived earlier before games increased by 10 percent as well, indicating that dining options inside the stadium were better than those in the surrounding area.

Part of the improvement is obvious. Mercedes-Benz Stadium is the newest venue in the N.F.L., which means the kitchens and other infrastructure are newer than those in other stadiums. The Falcons also made it to the Super Bowl last season, so fan interest was high. And new stadiums almost always draw more fans because of their novelty.

Chris Bigelow, a stadium concessions consultant, said the novelty of selling basic food items at a lower price appeared to be a hit in Atlanta. But he has not seen any specific financial figures suggesting that the approach is anything more than a loss-leader.

He added that about 70 percent of revenue for N.F.L. teams comes from leaguewide television, sponsorship and merchandise contracts, so they do not need to rely on money from food and beverage sales in their stadiums as much as teams in other leagues.

?In the grand scheme of things, you could give food away,? he said.

And while fans may welcome inexpensive food options, they may only partly offset the higher prices for tickets and personal seat licenses.

For now, no other team appears to have copied Blank?s strategy, which he said was based on his experience as a co-founder of Home Depot.

Mike Gomes, the senior vice president for fan experience at AMB Sports and Entertainment, said the teams benefited from being able to design larger and more efficient concession stands from scratch in a new stadium. But he said the key was making sure the food wasn?t just cheap, but good.

?No one wants a $2 hot dog when it?s cold,? he said, ?and no one wants a $2 hot dog when they are sold out.?
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »

Quote from: blue_or_die link=topic=50144.msg1431264#msg1431264 dotta ate=1523384952
Didn't the Atlanta Falcons have success last year when they lowered their concession prices? Do they operate their own concessions then? If so, that means they were able to staff and manage it.

Yes - lots was written about it..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/sports/football/nfl-concessions.html

gotta also keep in mind that minimum wage in Atlanta is $5.15 and here its $11.15...big difference so we will likely never see a $2 hot dog here - that said you could probably do a $4 hot dog and sell a bunch.  We don't eat that often at the stadium anymore - I can go 4-5 hours without eating, do it everyday at work.

http://mercedesbenzstadium.com/food-beverage/

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 07:19:10 PM »

Yes - lots was written about it..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/sports/football/nfl-concessions.html

gotta also keep in mind that minimum wage in Atlanta is $5.15 and here its $11.15...big difference so we will likely never see a $2 hot dog here - that said you could probably do a $4 hot dog and sell a bunch.  We don't eat that often at the stadium anymore - I can go 4-5 hours without eating, do it everyday at work.

http://mercedesbenzstadium.com/food-beverage/

Easy solution: Give Costco the stadium. Hotdog and a drink would be $1.50! Tongue
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 07:29:15 PM »

Easy solution: Give Costco the stadium. Hotdog and a drink would be $1.50! Tongue

and that price has stayed the same for years!!  Pretty good quality too...
Chris1982
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »

Costco poutine is the best poutine ever.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »

i do enjoy their poutine...i get 1/2 gravy so it doesn't drown all the crispiness of the fries...
gbill2004

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 08:23:12 PM »

I agree 100%!!!  So basic and so good!! 
blue girl

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »

I'm in the minority in that I would gladly pay more if they would only offer more gluten free options. At least have fries that are gluten free. I'll even bring my own bun if I can get a bunless burger.  Smiley
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 11:57:40 PM »

I'm in the minority in that I would gladly pay more if they would only offer more gluten free options. At least have fries that are gluten free. I'll even bring my own bun if I can get a bunless burger.  Smiley

My wife would like that too!

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 12:01:31 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the majority of the food at the stadium is terrible and fast food quality.  Moving away from Ovations would be a huge plus.  At the least it could be cheaper.

Bombers can do better and I hope they do.  Wade is a good business man and I hope he figures it out.  Make it fresh, local and innovative.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 08:18:54 AM »

My main beef is that when it started getting cold the popsicle stand on W-side 200-level disappeared!  Seriously miffed I couldn't get my halftime popsicle at the WSF.

Don't they know Winnipeggers eat slurpees and ice cream even when it's -7C?

As for hot-food quality, Shawarma and Clay Oven and (usually) Dannys are all very good quality; but certainly not cheap.  Sals is always good too; well, normal Sals quality anyway.

Best food deal @IGF in '17 was the perogy/kulbesa on a stick.  $4 and you're full for a quarter at least.
Jesse

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 10:32:31 AM »

IMO, and we certainly have a wide range of them across just the few people talking here (much less the thousands at the actual games), the game and beer are expensive enough. I usually don?t eat at games unless it?s an emergency (had to go straight from work and haven?t eaten since lunch) and it?s entirely because of the cost of the food.

I don?t need high quality at a football game, I need something to fill the void. I like the suggestion of the WBB partially taking over some lower-priced food options. I think basic economic principles tell us that different price points don?t cut into each other?s profits, it simply allows more people to spend.

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »

There was a burrito stand at IGF for the first two seasons (IIRC) but I can't recall seeing it the last two or three seasons. It was reasonably priced and pretty tasty from what I remember.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
bryan35

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »

Do they still run out of product before half time? When I questioned why the don't have stock they told me that they are volunteers....
I try to bring my own snacks now.
drahgon

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 05:20:44 PM »

My regular stops for food were either shwarma-khan or clay oven. The regular stuff from the ovation  stands was really poor quality imo. It was worth the extra buck or two to get something I would actually enjoy.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 06:23:52 PM »

I have purchased food only a couple times, I think it has always been Shwarma Khan...and have purchased beer, but only a few a game when I do drink due to the incredibly high costs.
I have done the Pinnacle lounge a few times.. but that's when it's not directly out of my pocket....I think the last time the bill was around $800.
It would be nice to have a cheap "snack' for kids. Adults well they can choose to eat/drink at games if they want, but at current prices it's insane to buy a "snack" for the kids. a cheaper option for something for the kids would go a long way IMO. Why not have "kids" size slushie for a couple bucks, or something along those lines. The more kids we get there the more of the next generation we can "hook"
bluengold204

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 06:33:56 PM »

I find most of the food options at the stadium to be garbage, even shwarma khan.  I like the restaurant but at the stadium it seems their wraps are smaller, as in not filled enough, and their beef lamb mixtures seems to be ground meat vs cut right off spit in the restaurant.  I am sure there are valid reasons for this but to me I am not getting the same quality as the restaurant and paying a higher price.
blue_or_die

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2018, 07:04:27 PM »

I find most of the food options at the stadium to be garbage, even shwarma khan.  I like the restaurant but at the stadium it seems their wraps are smaller, as in not filled enough, and their beef lamb mixtures seems to be ground meat vs cut right off spit in the restaurant.  I am sure there are valid reasons for this but to me I am not getting the same quality as the restaurant and paying a higher price.

Ladies and gentlemen, the definition of eating/drinking at a live sporting event. Nailed it.
blue girl

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 07:14:54 PM »

Do they still run out of product before half time? When I questioned why the don't have stock they told me that they are volunteers....
I try to bring my own snacks now.
Well there's one concession stand on the eastside 200 level that always seems to run out of hot chocolate at the first cold game.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 08:30:33 PM »

Well there's one concession stand on the eastside 200 level that always seems to run out of hot chocolate at the first cold game.

Don't tell Aards Wink
CoryB

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 03:29:47 PM »

With the right staff and crew, it could be both an amazing product and an amazing profit centre.  But that would mean WFC would have to make it worthwhile and commit to some of that staff and crew year round to be available for 11 games a year.

Keep in mind the majority of the front line people staffing concessions at Bomber games are getting paid absolutely nothing currently. They are there are volunteers to earn a group they support/are part of an honourium in lieu of being paid a wage and that is far below what someone would earn as minimum wage. Even if you look past the challenges of retaining quality staff for 11 sporadic events over a six month period, having to pay those people minimum wage (or better) would result in higher costs for food and beer to the end customer.

In terms of "cheaper" food one of strategies is to say serve 4 chicken fingers instead of 6, a 33% reduction, while cutting the price to the customer by 10%. End of the day you might be out of pocket less cash but you are also getting less food for your dollar. Part of that is also the cost of food purchased for sale at the stadium is going up too, it isn't as if those escalating prices are just so the Bombers can earn some extra revenue.

In terms of hot chocolate and coffee for cold weather games. I am shocked that years after the move to IGF this is still an issue. It isn't isolated to one stand but an issue across the whole building. How hard is it to have lots of portable coffee containers and get them filled up before the game and keep filling them on demand in some backroom. You then have runners taking them to each concession stand as needed. It is a bad joke that they are trying to make hot chocolate on demand in the concession stands. It is even worse when they are trying to pre-pour them so the "hot" chocolate is sitting on the counter in the below zero weather for 5-10 minutes (or longer) before it is even served. I might be a bit of a jerk of it but when I order I always tell them make me a fresh cup instead of one of those counter ones. That isn't even getting into how the open cups on the counter is a potential food safety violation.

As a serious suggestion in terms of cheaper food options, why not sell a normal sized hot dog instead of the foot long hot dogs that are sold now. Same idea as a burger, keep in simple and basic. Try to do something like a bag of chips, a normal size hot dog and a bottle drink for $5. Speaking of pop, the prices are just stupid. The cost to purchase those, in bulk, from Pepsi is under $2 a bottle. That they are being sold for $5 is a complete joke. It is almost as bad as the markup on beer.
blue_or_die

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »

In terms of "cheaper" food one of strategies is to say serve 4 chicken fingers instead of 6, a 33% reduction, while cutting the price to the customer by 10%. End of the day you might be out of pocket less cash but you are also getting less food for your dollar. Part of that is also the cost of food purchased for sale at the stadium is going up too, it isn't as if those escalating prices are just so the Bombers can earn some extra revenue.

As a serious suggestion in terms of cheaper food options, why not sell a normal sized hot dog instead of the foot long hot dogs that are sold now. Same idea as a burger, keep in simple and basic. Try to do something like a bag of chips, a normal size hot dog and a bottle drink for $5. Speaking of pop, the prices are just stupid. The cost to purchase those, in bulk, from Pepsi is under $2 a bottle. That they are being sold for $5 is a complete joke. It is almost as bad as the markup on beer.

I want nothing of these "ideas".
66 Chevelle

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2018, 03:46:21 PM »

I made the mistake of not converting my US cash to Canadian and all I had on me at the game was $100 bills... I'm not sure how much those 2 cups of hot chocolate actually cost me because I received Canadian dollars in change, lol... lesson learned...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Norm W

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »

We actually paid you for ordering the hot chocolate, I'm guessing you walked away (or you should have) with more than $100.00 in Cdn currency  Roll Eyes

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
66 Chevelle

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2018, 04:24:22 PM »

We actually paid you for ordering the hot chocolate, I'm guessing you walked away (or you should have) with more than $100.00 in Cdn currency  Roll Eyes

no, he treated my $100 US the same as a $100 C and gave me change in Canadian as well...  So I lost at least $20US just by handing him my bill, lol...

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »

no, he treated my $100 US the same as a $100 C and gave me change in Canadian as well...  So I lost at least $20US just by handing him my bill, lol...

Try doing the reverse. Go to most states (especially southern ones) and try to pay with Canadian. The cashier will look at the bill like it's going to kill them just by touching it and then tell you they can't accept it.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2018, 04:37:24 PM »

Try doing the reverse. Go to most states (especially southern ones) and try to pay with Canadian. The cashier will look at the bill like it's going to kill them just by touching it and then tell you they can't accept it.

lol, I bet so... but your money is so much prettier than ours... my daughter wanted to keep the bills as souvenirs, lol... I was like, no way, we have to find a way to spend these before we go home... so we proceeded to go over to the Bombers Store and spent all of that and more, but on my debit card where the remaining was converted for me...

The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »

Keep in mind the majority of the front line people staffing concessions at Bomber games are getting paid absolutely nothing currently. They are there are volunteers to earn a group they support/are part of an honourium in lieu of being paid a wage and that is far below what someone would earn as minimum wage. Even if you look past the challenges of retaining quality staff for 11 sporadic events over a six month period, having to pay those people minimum wage (or better) would result in higher costs for food and beer to the end customer.

In terms of hot chocolate and coffee for cold weather games. I am shocked that years after the move to IGF this is still an issue. It isn't isolated to one stand but an issue across the whole building. How hard is it to have lots of portable coffee containers and get them filled up before the game and keep filling them on demand in some backroom. You then have runners taking them to each concession stand as needed. It is a bad joke that they are trying to make hot chocolate on demand in the concession stands. It is even worse when they are trying to pre-pour them so the "hot" chocolate is sitting on the counter in the below zero weather for 5-10 minutes (or longer) before it is even served. I might be a bit of a jerk of it but when I order I always tell them make me a fresh cup instead of one of those counter ones. That isn't even getting into how the open cups on the counter is a potential food safety violation.

I don't think it is correct that Ovations (the concession provider) uses just volunteers or volunteers for a specific cause - they pay the staff.  Salisbury House - pays their staff at IGF and I am sure the other vendors like Danny's Whole Hog, Sharwma etc all pay their workers.

These folks are paid
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »

lol, I bet so... but your money is so much prettier than ours... my daughter wanted to keep the bills as souvenirs, lol... I was like, no way, we have to find a way to spend these before we go home... so we proceeded to go over to the Bombers Store and spent all of that and more, but on my debit card where the remaining was converted for me...

That's a better way to do it. You still likely paid a fee but it's still better than a straight exchange for you, I'm sure. We have US dollar credit cards here for when we travel, I'm not sure if the US has Canadian dollar cards for Americans but if you're planning on coming up a couple times a year you could look into it. We do have pretty cool money. I always say ours looks nicer but US money feels more powerful. If you come up this year try and snag our new $10, your daughter might find it cool since it features a female human rights activist (sometimes referred to as Canada's Rosa Parks) that actually lived long enough to see herself on the bill: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/cmhr-10-dollar-bill-1.4567809
66 Chevelle

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2018, 04:55:56 PM »

That's a better way to do it. You still likely paid a fee but it's still better than a straight exchange for you, I'm sure. We have US dollar credit cards here for when we travel, I'm not sure if the US has Canadian dollar cards for Americans but if you're planning on coming up a couple times a year you could look into it. We do have pretty cool money. I always say ours looks nicer but US money feels more powerful. If you come up this year try and snag our new $10, your daughter might find it cool since it features a female human rights activist (sometimes referred to as Canada's Rosa Parks) that actually lived long enough to see herself on the bill: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/cmhr-10-dollar-bill-1.4567809

how cool, thanks for the info... I'll be more prepared as well next tiime... last time our original flight got canceled and we were behind the eight ball from the get go, lol. And I'm positive my daughter will be interested in that $10 spot, her grandfather on her mother's side travel a lot abroad and always brought her back paper money from destinations all over the globe...  however, I did tip my waitresses with US currency, they were very appreciative of the gesture, truth be told it was just easier for me to figure an appropriate tip amount, lol, so they got tip plus the 20% bump from the currency...

gobombersgo

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »

Viola Desmond passed away in 1965, it was her sister that was at the unveiling of the new bill.

CoryB

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »

I don't think it is correct that Ovations (the concession provider) uses just volunteers or volunteers for a specific cause - they pay the staff.  Salisbury House - pays their staff at IGF and I am sure the other vendors like Danny's Whole Hog, Sharwma etc all pay their workers.

These folks are paid

I know for fact there are volunteers and that Sals is one of the places with volunteers. A co-worker of mine has a strong connection to Sals outside of work and was telling me about how when their job was volunteering in the concession stands at IGF they got to work at the Sals.

I also know from having actually talked to the people beyond placing an order and paying that most of the concession stands are staffed by volunteers. The people cooking the hot food might be made but the people on cash and getting your order are the volunteers. It is why you often get a stunned look from them as if they don't know what they are doing. They often show up about two hours before kick off and are giving a real quick run through of their roll. As breaks set it they can even be moved around to different concession so say you spent the first half learning how Sals is operating you might suddenly be over in one of the other booths learning a completely different menu/system for the second half.

I think some of the stands, ie Mini Donuts and Sharwma come to mind, are not run under Ovation foods and are exempt from the volunteers but Sals definitely was under that umbrella as are most of the house brand stalls and beer vendors.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2018, 06:37:08 PM »

I know for fact there are volunteers and that Sals is one of the places with volunteers. A co-worker of mine has a strong connection to Sals outside of work and was telling me about how when their job was volunteering in the concession stands at IGF they got to work at the Sals.

I also know from having actually talked to the people beyond placing an order and paying that most of the concession stands are staffed by volunteers. The people cooking the hot food might be made but the people on cash and getting your order are the volunteers. It is why you often get a stunned look from them as if they don't know what they are doing. They often show up about two hours before kick off and are giving a real quick run through of their roll. As breaks set it they can even be moved around to different concession so say you spent the first half learning how Sals is operating you might suddenly be over in one of the other booths learning a completely different menu/system for the second half.

I think some of the stands, ie Mini Donuts and Sharwma come to mind, are not run under Ovation foods and are exempt from the volunteers but Sals definitely was under that umbrella as are most of the house brand stalls and beer vendors.

Must be a mix of paid and volunteer cause my sons friend works at sals at IGF and I know he gets paid. He wouldn?t be doing it otherwise
CoryB

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2018, 07:10:13 PM »

I think the vendors roaming the stands might be paid.
Jesse

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2018, 07:17:57 PM »

Why would anyone volunteer to work concessions?

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2018, 07:26:14 PM »

Why would anyone volunteer to work concessions?

They are supporting a charity, usually pee wee football, and sometimes other causes. The club makes a donation to the cause rather than pay employees.

I feel for the volunteers who face the wrath of grumpy customers who don't understand that they are not being paid and are not trained. You can easily tell when you're being served by a volunteer, as CoryB said, because they look a little overwhelmed. I'm always extra nice because I know how much that would suck.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »

Viola Desmond passed away in 1965, it was her sister that was at the unveiling of the new bill.

You're correct! Thank you for pointing that out.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2018, 10:32:16 PM »

They are supporting a charity, usually pee wee football, and sometimes other causes. The club makes a donation to the cause rather than pay employees.

I feel for the volunteers who face the wrath of grumpy customers who don't understand that they are not being paid and are not trained. You can easily tell when you're being served by a volunteer, as CoryB said, because they look a little overwhelmed. I'm always extra nice because I know how much that would suck.

kind of like we did for my daughters graduating class, we bought and then sold concessions at football and basketball games for Project Graduation, all volunteer parent work force...  I was a heck of a peanut saleman! sold out each game!

CoryB

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2018, 03:51:45 PM »

My impression is the front line people are all (or mostly) volunteers which each stand having one or two front end supervisors that are likely paid. Also it would appear where food is being cooked the people preparing the food are also paid which makes sense as they would  normally have food handlers training. Odds are the person that takes your order, takes your payment and hands over your food is a volunteer. If you don't believe me ask them. It also explains why the front end of the concession side is often run so poorly.
drahgon

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2018, 08:47:25 PM »

^ I didn't realize the "workers" were volunteers, that explains a lot!
gbill2004

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2018, 08:51:49 PM »

My impression is the front line people are all (or mostly) volunteers which each stand having one or two front end supervisors that are likely paid. Also it would appear where food is being cooked the people preparing the food are also paid which makes sense as they would  normally have food handlers training. Odds are the person that takes your order, takes your payment and hands over your food is a volunteer. If you don't believe me ask them. It also explains why the front end of the concession side is often run so poorly.
My impression is that the kids selling stuff in the stand, walking up and down the aisles are volunteers. But that all Ovations staff are paid employees. 
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2018, 08:54:10 PM »

Are the beer workers paid ?.....I would tip more but it's so **** hard at the prices
CoryB

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2018, 02:30:03 PM »

My impression is that the kids selling stuff in the stand, walking up and down the aisles are volunteers. But that all Ovations staff are paid employees. 

Honestly we rarely get the walking vendors coming by our seats I haven't had much chance to interact with them. One of the benefits of being below the break is you don't get them constantly blocking your sight lines.

In terms of Ovations, yes their staff would be paid. The question is which stands is Ovations running and how many people operating it are volunteers v paid staff.
bluengold204

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »

Are the beer workers paid ?.....I would tip more but it's so **** hard at the prices

I think most of them are volunteers actually.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »

I think most of them are volunteers actually.

is free beer considered pay?  Grin

gbill2004

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2018, 03:06:30 PM »

Honestly we rarely get the walking vendors coming by our seats I haven't had much chance to interact with them. One of the benefits of being below the break is you don't get them constantly blocking your sight lines.

In terms of Ovations, yes their staff would be paid. The question is which stands is Ovations running and how many people operating it are volunteers v paid staff.
The concession stands I go it's pretty obvious which staff are with Ovations. 
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2018, 10:01:47 PM »

So getting back on topic with there be cheaper food choices in IGF?

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: