Blue Bombers Forum
July 17, 2018, 06:29:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheaper food ?  (Read 2288 times)
Sec223

« on: April 10, 2018, 11:10:58 AM »

Wade Miller announced yesterday the Bombers will be taking over some of the game day food. He said "some items will be cheaper". Sure hope it's going to be good quality.
gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 11:55:11 AM »

I think it's a good idea for the Bombers to take over more of the game day good management.  I've called the Bombers a couple times with questions on food services at IGF and often they cannot respond and say it is managed by a third party (can't remember the companies name right now).  The Bombers did implement some cheaper options last year, which were a little hard to find, and nice to see more options will be implemented this season. 
bluengold204

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »

I'm more interested in cheaper beer prices
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »

lol don?t bet on it!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:50:30 PM »

Don't hold your breath. Especially with that stupid "escalator" tax on beer slated to start this month.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »

Don't hold your breath. Especially with that stupid "escalator" tax on beer slated to start this month.

I haven?t heard of this. Can you expand?
gobombersgo

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »

Wade Miller announced yesterday the Bombers will be taking over some of the game day food. He said "some items will be cheaper". Sure hope it's going to be good quality.
Last year we were told that some items like chicken tenders were going to be cheaper.

Well, the price of chicken tenders and fries actually went up in price.

The company that runs the Bombers concessions is Ovations Food Services.

bluengold204

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 01:20:38 PM »

Lol I know it won't happen
Chris1982
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »

I would bet money that cheaper prices will equal cheaper quality.  It may "taste" the same, but pretty much everything tastes the same when its deep fried in lard.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »

I haven?t heard of this. Can you expand?

I'm no fan of more tax but this is much ado about nothing when you do the math. A lobby group for a couple of big breweries is all up in arms and trying to scare (possibly mislead) people into thinking they're going to be paying a lot more for beer (the tax is indexed to inflation so it will go up each year, hence the sensationalist headline 'escalator'). They always leave out the fact that the tax is on every 100 liters of beer. It might cut into their profits a bit - but it won't hurt you.

Essentially this year the tax will go from 10.8 cents to 11 cents per bottle. To put that into perspective, in order for it to cost you $10 dollars next year, you'd have to buy 3432 beers (or 143 cases of 24 bottles). Looking at it another way, assuming the projections are correct in terms of 1.5% increases year-over-year, the case of beer will go up by $1 in 2040 (as a result of this tax).

Here's a good article with in-depth analysis if you're really interested, it's also a good lesson not to trust industry lobby groups in the slightest:
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jordan-stjohn-/let-me-break-down-what-canadas-escalating-beer-tax-will-really-cost-you_a_23340121/

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:33:52 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »

An interesting solution IMO would be for the Bombers to manage ~half of the concession areas and handle the most basic stuff: hot dogs, burgers, chicken fingers, fries/poutine and Inbev beer and soft drinks, and then license out the other half to established, niche brands like Clay oven, Shawarma, perogies, craft/microbrew, etc kind of like Shaw Park. The Bomber stuff could be kept at a reduced cost (relative to paying the profit margins of a third party) and they would still make a killing because of both volume and that their product is the highest demand anyway, and the other "premium outlets" could charge more for those willing to pay more for something different/higher quality. Seems win-win.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
gbill2004

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »

Last year we were told that some items like chicken tenders were going to be cheaper.

Well, the price of chicken tenders and fries actually went up in price.

The company that runs the Bombers concessions is Ovations Food Services.
This is true.  My GF gets chicken fingers and fries most games, and for the first few games last season the price changed every game.  So we followed up and the Bombers could not answer our questions as to why the price changed every game.  A few months later we received a reply saying that it was an issue with training Ovations staff and they were not ringing it up in the cash register properly.  Long story short, the price did go up quite a but last year for chicken fingers and fries.  Bomber office was very nice in that they gave us a couple coupons for food in the concourse.  
gbill2004

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »

An interesting solution IMO would be for the Bombers to manage ~half of the concession areas and handle the most basic stuff: hot dogs, burgers, chicken fingers, fries/poutine and Inbev beer and soft drinks, and then license out the other half to established, niche brands like Clay oven, Shawarma, perogies, craft/microbrew, etc kind of like Shaw Park. The Bomber stuff could be kept at a reduced cost (relative to paying the profit margins of a third party) and they would still make a killing because of both volume and that their product is the highest demand anyway, and the other "premium outlets" could charge more for those willing to pay more for something different/higher quality. Seems win-win.
I agree.  All Ovations does is ad to the cost by creating a middle man.  Bombers doing it themselves would allow more control over the costs, and likely lower prices.  Downside is that Wade then needs to worry about hiring people to work in the concessions, which is probably a challenge given the limited number of hours.
theaardvark

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »

I agree.  All Ovations does is ad to the cost by creating a middle man.  Bombers doing it themselves would allow more control over the costs, and likely lower prices.  Downside is that Wade then needs to worry about hiring people to work in the concessions, which is probably a challenge given the limited number of hours.

Staffing event concessions is a huge headache, and trying to run quality control of a food service outlet is challenging at the best of time, add in the headaches of it being event based, and there is a reason it is farmed out. 

With the right staff and crew, it could be both an amazing product and an amazing profit centre.  But that would mean WFC would have to make it worthwhile and commit to some of that staff and crew year round to be available for 11 games a year.  I think the last thing WFC club wants to get into is the food service industry.  Maybe there is a strategic partnership with a soup kitchen or the university commissary...

That said, I know last year that they were venturing into it a bit, in some of the carts.  The same crew that does the Pinnacle Club was doing the tacos, and I'm pretty sure those weren't ovations people. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »

Staffing event concessions is a huge headache, and trying to run quality control of a food service outlet is challenging at the best of time, add in the headaches of it being event based, and there is a reason it is farmed out. 

With the right staff and crew, it could be both an amazing product and an amazing profit centre.  But that would mean WFC would have to make it worthwhile and commit to some of that staff and crew year round to be available for 11 games a year.  I think the last thing WFC club wants to get into is the food service industry.  Maybe there is a strategic partnership with a soup kitchen or the university commissary...

That said, I know last year that they were venturing into it a bit, in some of the carts.  The same crew that does the Pinnacle Club was doing the tacos, and I'm pretty sure those weren't ovations people. 
I noticed that the Bombers have some career fairs coming up, so maybe that's part of their plan to take over the concessions.  I believe the career fair ads said it was for seasonal part-time work. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: