Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 08:04:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers sign receivers Jerome Lane & Dominique Reed  (Read 1970 times)
123James321

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 11:33:37 AM »

This is why I was hoping for another legit NI starter on defense. we have a much better pool of American receivers this season to pick from, these new guys look awesome, plus Washington and Myles White....

It would be better IMO if we could have 5 canadians on offence,3OL, RB and 1receiver so that we can rotate the best new guy with Flanders.
Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »

This is why I was hoping for another legit NI starter on defense. we have a much better pool of American receivers this season to pick from, these new guys look awesome, plus Washington and Myles White....

It would be better IMO if we could have 5 canadians on offence,3OL, RB and 1receiver so that we can rotate the best new guy with Flanders.

Well the rookie receivers always look interesting going into TC.  It's always possible we find the next rising star. It's also possible we have found a talent in the past that we didn't keep and released too soon.

It's still early enough that we may find a solution to having a 2nd NI starter on defense. That might happen in the draft or some trade during TC.

Early days and there are many things that may happen.

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »

That was my first thought as well, but I just don't see where another defensive starter comes from, or where they fit.  I think the notion of drafting a day 1 starter is extremely remote, especially given our draft spot.

I don't know if any of these guys are better receivers than the many we have looked at in recent years, but they are certainly bigger. 

This might be recruiting with a longer view.  Dressler and Bowman are both 32, and I think Bowman is on a one year contract. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 02:57:55 PM »

The best option for another NI starter at the moment might be if Ekakitie shows enough to become a starter in lieu of Cory Johnson.

That would require enough confidence in Marouf to also be a rotational guy on defense. Or we draft  another DT that becomes that player.

I think we all like Cory Johnson and expect him to progress in 2018. Ratio is always an issue. We're paying Ekakitie more as a high draft pick and he needs to get on the field. Does that happen with a push to start or just rotation?

Johnson could be a DI although I'm expecting Roh as the more probably DL DI. So IMO Johnson would be retained on either the 1 game IR or 2 man reserve. He's still on an ELC and shown great promise.

It's not a matter of needing to replace Johnson, just a matter of ratio balance, development of Ekakitie etc etc.  I see him as the better choice as a potential starter than Corney and we have a chance at depth behind him in Marouf.

Our import DE's are very good and IMO it would be more difficult to replace 1 with Corney as a starter. Especially considering the acquisition of Roh during the off season.

That said I believe the best way a rookie receiver makes the 44 man AR is to show excellent return skills as well as receiver skills. ST skills gets you on the roster.

Longer view is likely with aging receivers , potential shorter contracts and new CBA in 2019.

I expect a couple of receivers to make the PR at the very least. Whether they are rookies or returning back ups for last year is the question.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »

That was my first thought as well, but I just don't see where another defensive starter comes from, or where they fit.  I think the notion of drafting a day 1 starter is extremely remote, especially given our draft spot.

I don't know if any of these guys are better receivers than the many we have looked at in recent years, but they are certainly bigger. 

This might be recruiting with a longer view.  Dressler and Bowman are both 32, and I think Bowman is on a one year contract. 

I dunno, the decision to discard Jake Thomas at this time when there is a need to find a Natl. to fill in on D doesn't make much sense to me.  Jake wasn't an all-star but he wasn't a liability either.
gbill2004

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 03:03:43 PM »

I dunno, the decision to discard Jake Thomas at this time when there is a need to find a Natl. to fill in on D doesn't make much sense to me.  Jake wasn't an all-star but he wasn't a liability either.
Maybe the coaching staff felt Thomas was a liability.
booch

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 03:22:24 PM »

The best option for another NI starter at the moment might be if Ekakitie shows enough to become a starter in lieu of Cory Johnson.

That would require enough confidence in Marouf to also be a rotational guy on defense. Or we draft  another DT that becomes that player.

I think we all like Cory Johnson and expect him to progress in 2018. Ratio is always an issue. We're paying Ekakitie more as a high draft pick and he needs to get on the field. Does that happen with a push to start or just rotation?

Johnson could be a DI although I'm expecting Roh as the more probably DL DI. So IMO Johnson would be retained on either the 1 game IR or 2 man reserve. He's still on an ELC and shown great promise.

It's not a matter of needing to replace Johnson, just a matter of ratio balance, development of Ekakitie etc etc.  I see him as the better choice as a potential starter than Corney and we have a chance at depth behind him in Marouf.

Our import DE's are very good and IMO it would be more difficult to replace 1 with Corney as a starter. Especially considering the acquisition of Roh during the off season.

That said I believe the best way a rookie receiver makes the 44 man AR is to show excellent return skills as well as receiver skills. ST skills gets you on the roster.

Longer view is likely with aging receivers , potential shorter contracts and new CBA in 2019.

I expect a couple of receivers to make the PR at the very least. Whether they are rookies or returning back ups for last year is the question.

I would think that it would be in replacing Nevis as opposed to Johnson...Johnson has more upside and I think is the better player...as well would free up more money if Nevis was deemed expendable and released..I can actually see that scenario come camp if Ekakite and Corney have progressed enough to have either one..on the field at any given time..I could see Corney as well being used as a guy lined up all over on the d-line..

the paw

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 03:26:43 PM »

Maybe the coaching staff felt Thomas was a liability.

I don't think so, I just think they feel Ekakitie is going to be better.  There is at least a chance Ekakitie becomes a starter, and we know that Fatboi's ceiling was a little short of full-time starter. 

grab grass 'n growl
gbill2004

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 03:30:13 PM »

I don't think so, I just think they feel Ekakitie is going to be better.  There is at least a chance Ekakitie becomes a starter, and we know that Fatboi's ceiling was a little short of full-time starter. 
Personally, I think the fans thought Thomas was better than he actually was.  He did make some plays at times, but he was not a starting calibre player.  I do agree that the coaching staff has high hopes for Ekakitie. 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 03:30:56 PM »

Not re-signing a player is not discarding him. He's a rotational NAT at best and the fact no other team has even given him a sniff is pretty telling, IMO. While I agree he wasn't a liability, my best guess is the organization is expecting more from both Corney and Ekakitie going into 2018. First rounders should have a higher ceiling than a fourth rounder.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
booch

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »

yes it is very telling he is still unsigned...He wasn't a liability all the time...but at times he was overmatched and basically just a place holder out there...and it happened more often than not...couple that with Hurl's uselessness, and Heath's rogue running around looking for self-gratifying stats...well you see why the last few years we got lit up a lot
Blue In BC

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »

I would think that it would be in replacing Nevis as opposed to Johnson...Johnson has more upside and I think is the better player...as well would free up more money if Nevis was deemed expendable and released..I can actually see that scenario come camp if Ekakite and Corney have progressed enough to have either one..on the field at any given time..I could see Corney as well being used as a guy lined up all over on the d-line..

Can't disagree about Nevis is a bigger SMS hit and I think we were all impressed by Johnson. That said Nevis has more experience. An interior of Ekakitie and Johnson in their 2nd year with potentially a 1st year player in backup could be a risk / issue?

I think Corney has some upside but our 2 imports from 2017 were so good. Looking forward to seeing Jeffcoat progress even more this season. Now that we've added Roh I don't think there is  much chance we don't have 3 imports on the 44 AR. Could even be a rookie pushing Roh for a DI spot.

Corney's still going to add value on defense. Just not sure how much and how quickly he'll get more playing time considering the talent at DE. Of course there may be sets where we have 3 DE's and ratio will require a NI when we may insert another import LB as a DI.

We did that last year when we took out a DT in place of an extra LB.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 03:54:51 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: