Blue Bombers Forum
September 24, 2018, 09:41:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers sign receivers Jerome Lane & Dominique Reed  (Read 1638 times)
gbill2004

« on: April 09, 2018, 07:32:30 PM »

#Bombers add two International receivers; 6?3? 225lb Jerome Lane and 6?3? 180lb Dominique Reed.

Interestingly, Lane played his first of three NCAA seasons at Akron as a linebacker.
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »

Some info on Lane: Not sure what his chances of making the roster but he seems generally athletic and versatile. Potentially could be a DI type that plays on ST's and backs up a couple of spots. A lot of ifs of course but an interesting candidate.  I wonder if he'll see some reps on defense in TC. Could be a good development candidate on the PR.

Lane wasn't a well-known football recruit coming out of high school, partially because he was expected to follow in his father's footsteps on the basketball court. Jerome Lane, Sr. was a big-bodied star forward at the University of Pittsburgh in the late 1980s, but told his son to play football. Since moving to receiver after the 2014 season, however, Lane has shown the physicality and hands that are indicative of a basketball player. He redshirted in 2013 and played 12 games at safety and linebacker on defense the following year (14 tackles, five sacks, safety). Lane played all 13 games (starting 11) at receiver as a sophomore, catching 39 passes for a team-leading 782 yards and eight scores despite having surgery on a torn ligament before the season. Coming into his own in 2016, he was a third-team All-MAC pick with 62 receptions covering 1,018 yards and six touchdowns.
Analysis
Strengths Big body usually dwarfs cornerbacks across from him. Posted eye-popping production in his two seasons as a receiver. Cornerbacks better strap it up because he is physical inside the route. Creates late separation with his hands and body. Finds deep ball and works back to underthrown balls aggressively. Is a bull with the ball in his hands and can drag tacklers down the field after the catch. Almost 75 percent of his catches over the last two seasons moved the chains. Background as a linebacker makes him a perfect candidate for early special teams coverage work.
Weaknesses Still very raw with just two years experience as a receiver. Looks slow into his routes and down the sideline on verticals. Showed very little ability to be able to get a head start on NFL caliber cornerbacks and climb over the top of them. Was often tasked with making contested catches due to a lack of separation. Athletic ability is below average. Tight-hipped runner with very little sink into his breaks or explosion coming out.
Draft Projection PFA
Bottom Line While Lane is still very raw and continuing to learn the position and the art of route-running, it is hard to imagine him gaining much more functional speed or athleticism. His hands are adequate and he has very good size and strength so it might make sense to beef Lane up and give him a shot at a move tight end spot if he fails to make it as a receiver. Lane will find his way into camp but it might be a challenge to make a roster.
-Lance Zierlein
C
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:26:48 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Jbombers

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:49:27 PM »

After looking into highlights of both these guys and reading insight from down south, I?m excited to see what both these guys can do in training camp. I have a feeling one of them will be a keeper.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:00:32 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Add Two Receivers

WINNIPEG, MB., April 9, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International receivers Jerome Lane and Dominique Reed.

Lane (6'3, 225, University of Akron, March 9, 1996 in Akron, OH) played three seasons for the Akron Zips, the first as a linebacker and the final two at wide receiver. In his two years on offense, Lane played in 25 games with 23 starts and caught 101 passes for 1,800 yards and 14 touchdowns. In 2016, he was selected third-team All-MAC after starting all 12 games and finishing with 62 catches for 1,062 yards and six scores.

Reed (6'3, 180, University of Arkansas, August 1, 1993 in Camden, AR) played two seasons for the Arkansas Razorbacks recording 44 total receptions for 791 yards and eight touchdowns. He also returned 19 kickoffs for 383 yards. Reed went undrafted in the 2017 NFL Draft.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
gbill2004

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 11:04:09 PM »

What happened to WR Corey Washington? I don?t see him on the Bombers roster.  He?s a guy I was excited about.
gobombersgo

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:24:19 PM »

What happened to WR Corey Washington? I don?t see him on the Bombers roster.  He?s a guy I was excited about.

He's listed on the Bomber's website - Jersey #6. But, he's not on their mobile app.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:26:44 PM by gobombersgo » Logged

gbill2004

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:25:56 PM »

He's there. Jersey #6.
Not on the Bombers roster on their iPhone app. No number 6.
gobombersgo

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 11:31:14 PM »

Not on the Bombers roster on their iPhone app. No number 6.

Yeah, I had a look at their app. They have 63 players listed, meanwhile there is 80 players listed on their roster via their website.

gbill2004

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 11:44:06 PM »

Yeah, I had a look at their app. They have 63 players listed, meanwhile there is 80 players listed on their roster via their website.
Oh lol...okay thanks. Guess I?ll stop relying on the app for my roster info.
gbill2004

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »

And another: The team has added receiver Tony Stevens.

#Bombers add 6-4, 215 pound Auburn receiver Tony Stevens to roster. Will be a lot of receivers in mini-camp which starts two weeks today.
Fire101

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »

It's good to see the Bombers adding size to the receiving core.
Blue In BC

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »

I think that's 8 CFL rookie receivers added to the roster. Along with Lankford, Givens and Washington returning from play in 2017.

Will be interesting to see who impresses in mini camp and leap frogs to main TC. Not all the imports will make the main TC.  Not really expecting the players from 2017 to not get another chance to show what they learned in 2017, but there will be battles.

No more excuses.
gbill2004

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 07:32:00 PM »

I think that's 8 CFL rookie receivers added to the roster. Along with Lankford, Givens and Washington returning from play in 2017.

Will be interesting to see who impresses in mini camp and leap frogs to main TC. Not all the imports will make the main TC.  Not really expecting the players from 2017 to not get another chance to show what they learned in 2017, but there will be battles.
Bowman and Dressler aren?t getting any younger. We need to start bringing in some new blood.
Blue In BC

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 08:33:29 PM »

Bowman and Dressler aren?t getting any younger. We need to start bringing in some new blood.

Yes that's true. However I'd say there is zero chance ( barring injury ) that both Bowman and Dressler won't be starters on day one.

Not sure if we'll end up with a receiver possibly as a DI or on the 2 man reserve. Flanders is a bit of a wildcard as well as a RB/receiver DI player. Basing that on the addition of LaFrance and impact of the ratio overall.

Considering the current ratio if we have an offensive player as a DI he might be a returner / receiver rather than a RB back up.

All of that could be in flux if a rookie DB beats out Fogg as an actual DB or returner.

So while I like Fogg and Flanders we could see a rookie take one or both of these positions.

Beyond that IMO we're looking at PR players.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:38:10 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
gbill2004

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »

Yes that's true. However I'd say there is zero chance ( barring injury ) that both Bowman and Dressler won't be starters on day one.
I agree. My comment was from a succession planning perspective. 
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: