Humboldt Broncos - Tragic Bus Crash

Started by Ridermania, April 07, 2018, 03:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbill2004

Quote from: dd on April 08, 2018, 09:47:53 PM
Everyone handles and manages tragedy differently. The questions raised are all valid, too soon for some. Still, at the end of the day, 15 people lost their lives. Good to see how the country has reacted and supported the community, not only with the funding, heck, the Prime Minister is attending the vigil, outstanding country we live in!!!
Well said.  The vigil is at 8:00pm Winnipeg time tonight, and will be broadcast by CBC and Sportsnet.  I'll definitely be watching. 

blue_gold_84

What a terrible tragedy. There are no words to describe it.

What the Jets and the Blackhawks did last night was truly inspiring, as well as the other tributes around the NHL. The hockey community is wonderful.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Marni

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 08, 2018, 11:17:31 PM
What a terrible tragedy. There are no words to describe it.

What the Jets and the Blackhawks did last night was truly inspiring, as well as the other tributes around the NHL. The hockey community is wonderful.

It wasn?t just hockey! Every sporting event over the weekend had a moment of silence!
You are what happened when I wished upon a star  :-*

galeforce

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 08, 2018, 04:06:17 PM
Good cause but what exactly do they need this money for? 

If you have to ask, you'll never understand. After reading your comments and questions I found your overall tone to be  distasteful bordering on disrespectful, with an underlying current of distrust and cynicism. No amount of money can ever make up for the losses that so many have suffered but maybe it helps to know that they won't be burdened financially from this. Insurance doesn't cover everything and neither does our healthcare system. Lighten up.

dd

the outpouring of financial and emotional support is mind blowing. CBC's coverage was unbelievable, and to see 2 Coaches of NHL teams, along with the Prime Minister, Sheldon Kennedy,Don Cherry and Ron McLean in the arena was very moving. None of them had to do what they did, but they did anyways. We live in a truly unbelievable and caring country!!

gbill2004

Quote from: galeforce on April 09, 2018, 03:06:05 AM
If you have to ask, you'll never understand. After reading your comments and questions I found your overall tone to be  distasteful bordering on disrespectful, with an underlying current of distrust and cynicism. No amount of money can ever make up for the losses that so many have suffered but maybe it helps to know that they won't be burdened financially from this. Insurance doesn't cover everything and neither does our healthcare system. Lighten up.
The tone of your comment here suggests that perhaps you?ve experienced a tragedy like this one first hand, and if so, I offer my condolences to you. However I don?t appreciate the tone of your message and some assumptions you are making of the intent of my questions.

As stated accurately by others in this thread, everyone deals with these tragic situations differently, and the timing may be different for everyone. I?m also extremely saddened by what occurred. I watched the vigil Sunday night with my GF and I cried.  But I?m able to separate the emotional piece from the objective piece, which is why I ask the questions about the money and where it will go. Not from the perspective that it?ll be abused, but genuinely question what $4 million is needed for and what it?ll be used for. Do you think the money should be a free for all, and anyone affected should just take whatever money they want?  Of course not. The leaders will need to develop criteria to ensure the money is used in a fair and appropriate manner.  And I?m interested in that discussion.

This is a discussion board and it?s a valid question. There?s lots of discussion about the huge amount of money raised, and I agree it?s an amazing show of public support.  Along with that discussion is a logical question in the process of where that money will go to help the victims and their families.

You may not like the timing of my questions, but they?re valid questions and I don?t appreciate your comments or assumptions of why I asked them. I guarantee there are people dealing with those exact issues right now. I work in HR in a large organization where people have died on the job over the years. In those situations, you need to deal with the human element, but also need to deal with the logistics, and the difficult questions that are hard to deal with in such an emotional time. But they do need to be dealt with, so that?s my perspective. And if the timing isn?t right for you, I can understand that but I don?t think you need to use attacking language or make false assumptions like you did.  Everyone deals differently and the timing of their stages is also different.

Chris1982

Even though the mod has heavily edited this thread since yesterday and removed tons of the previous comments, from what I gathered from the all of the opinions before they were deleted, I agree that people do see the money aspect as a "valid" question - I think people in general just think that it should be an "unspoken" concern considering the circumstances.  I think the public generally trusts that the people who actually donated money and organized the fund, will ensure that the funds are spent appropriately.  There are lots of things that people wonder in life, and are valid concerns, but they are not socially acceptable to discuss at certain times.  This is just what I have gathered from reading all of the previous posters before they were deleted.

gbill2004

Quote from: Chris1982 on April 09, 2018, 09:26:09 AM
Even though the mod has heavily edited this thread since yesterday and removed tons of the previous comments, from what I gathered from the all of the opinions before they were deleted, I agree that people do see the money aspect as a "valid" question - I think people in general just think that it should be an "unspoken" concern considering the circumstances.  I think the public generally trusts that the people who actually donated money and organized the fund, will ensure that the funds are spent appropriately.  There are lots of things that people wonder in life, and are valid concerns, but they are not socially acceptable to discuss at certain times.  This is just what I have gathered from reading all of the previous posters before they were deleted.
And I?m sure it will be dealt with appropriately; not once did I question that, although some here suggested I did. I?m interested in the discussion and curious how it?ll be spent and what the criteria will be. I legitimately don?t understand where the $4 million will go so I?d like to learn what it?ll be used for.

$4 million is a lot of money and there will be decisions to make by the leaders in charge of the money. Some posters here did provide some interesting insight as to where the money will go, which I found interesting, although I think some of those posts were since deleted. Where is the $4 million going to go is a legit question that I don?t think is at all socially unacceptable. 

Timing may bother some, but thats a personal thing that varies from person to person, but doesn?t justify other posters making accusations, false assumptions or personal attacks.  It is possible to feel sad for these young men and their families, and also ask some objective questions at the same time. The people responsible for managing the money are doing that right now, as stated right on the go fund me page.

Chris1982

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 09, 2018, 09:54:40 AM
And I?m sure it will be dealt with appropriately; not once did I question that, although some here suggested I did. I?m interested in the discussion and curious how it?ll be spent and what the criteria will be. I legitimately don?t understand where the $4 million will go so I?d like to learn what it?ll be used for.

$4 million is a lot of money and there will be decisions to make by the leaders in charge of the money. Some posters here did provide some interesting insight as to where the money will go, which I found interesting, although I think some of those posts were since deleted. Where is the $4 million going to go is a legit question that I don?t think is at all socially unacceptable. 

Timing may bother some, but thats a personal thing that varies from person to person, but doesn?t justify other posters making accusations, false assumptions or personal attacks.  It is possible to feel sad for these young men and their families, and also ask some objective questions at the same time. The people responsible for managing the money are doing that right now, as stated right on the go fund me page.

Most people seem to feel that it should be left at that and not discussed on here.  That was my only point.  I will leave it at that.

gbill2004

Quote from: Chris1982 on April 09, 2018, 10:37:36 AM
Most people seem to feel that it should be left at that and not discussed on here.  That was my only point.  I will leave it at that.
I see three posters here who stated the questions are valid and who see both sides of the perspective on the timing of my questions, in that everyone deals differently.

Chris1982

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 09, 2018, 10:51:17 AM
I see three posters here who stated the questions are valid and who see both sides of the perspective on the timing of my questions, in that everyone deals differently.

I clearly stated in my original post that some people do agree that you have "valid" questions regarding the money and the timing of them.  My only point was whether those questions needed to be discussed in this forum.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Marni on April 09, 2018, 02:45:22 AM
It wasn?t just hockey! Every sporting event over the weekend had a moment of silence!

Okay.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

ModAdmin

15 lives lost, families and community in mourning, lives altered forever and a conversation ensues here about money and how it will be used.  All this on the day a vigil took place to honour the dead and injured.  Personally I find that disturbing and, out of respect, some posts were removed.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

gbill2004

Quote from: ModAdmin on April 09, 2018, 02:09:00 PM
15 lives lost, families and community in mourning, lives altered forever and a conversation ensues here about money and how it will be used.  All this on the day a vigil took place to honour the dead and injured.  Personally I find that disturbing and, out of respect, some posts were removed.
We can agree to disagree then. I am as sad as anyone...I cried a few times over the weekend thinking about these young men, and what their families are going through during this tragedy.  But I don't see why it is acceptable to discuss how much money was raised and how great that is, but we can't discuss how that money will be used.  I don't see how that is "disturbing" in any way - it is possible to pay your respects and have some difficult, mature conversations at the same time.  And I don't see it as an excuse for other posters to make false accusation, assumptions or make personal attacks.   

But I've said enough already on this topic of what started as a genuine, well intended question...but I guess some people get easily offended.  I apologize if anyone was offended, but I stand by my believe that there is nothing wrong with the question, and it is a question that must be asked; the timing is debateable depending on the person.  We can move on...