Humboldt Broncos - Tragic Bus Crash

Started by Ridermania, April 07, 2018, 03:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 08, 2018, 04:06:17 PM
Good cause but what exactly do they need this money for? 

There are 15 people that will need special care for the next while, or their entire lives... there are hundreds of people directly affected, lost family members, etc, who will benefit from support that is not government funded.  

Even just knowing that there are resources available should someone be in need will make recovery easier.  

Donated money will find its way into the lives of the victims.  

Now, if you want to ask what a "donated touchdown" is needed for, I'm all ears...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 08, 2018, 04:14:55 PM
I mean like it?s a good nice thing to do, but what do they need the money for?  Where is the $3.3 million going to go? Is it just money to make the families feel better?  They won?t have medical expenses because we live in Canada. What exactly is the money for?

Funerals, Bus. The players were from all over Western Canada so theres expence of flying familys around and then bringing their kids home.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

gbill2004

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on April 08, 2018, 04:19:12 PM

Funerals, Bus. The players were from all over Western Canada so theres expence of flying familys around and then bringing their kids home.
Funerals and airfare that makes sense. Bus will be covered by insurance. I?m curious how it is decided what is legitimate use of the money. I assume they will need to develop criteria and have someone objective to oversee the money.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 08, 2018, 04:22:30 PM
Funerals and airfare that makes sense. Bus will be covered by insurance. I?m curious how it is decided what is legitimate use of the money. I assume they will need to develop criteria and have someone objective to oversee the money.

From my understanding the goal is 4 mil. So im sure they know what they will need the money for.

gbill2004

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on April 08, 2018, 04:30:27 PM

From my understanding the goal is 4 mil. So im sure they know what they will need the money for.
The initial goal was $10k and they just keep increasing the goal based on the amount of money coming in. The goal has been increased a number of times.

Chris1982

I fully agree with giving the families of this tragedy all of the money possible.  At least the money going to the families is generously and voluntarily donated by citizens out of the goodness of their heart, and not an illegitimate cash grab by some people who sue for ridiculous amounts of money for "pain and suffering".

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 08, 2018, 04:33:38 PM
The initial goal was $10k and they just keep increasing the goal based on the amount of money coming in. The goal has been increased a number of times.

Im not sure...... Saturday morning i read the goal was 4mil.

The Jets 50/50 donated 136k and Then the Hawks and the Jets donated another 25k each. Im not positive but i think all Canadian teams donated 25k. Im not sure thats even counted in the 3.3mil.

gbill2004

Quote from: Chris1982 on April 08, 2018, 04:41:54 PM
I fully agree with giving the families of this tragedy all of the money possible.  At least the money going to the families is generously and voluntarily donated by citizens out of the goodness of their heart, and not an illegitimate cash grab by some people who sue for ridiculous amounts of money for "pain and suffering".
I agree with helping the families, I'm just curious how the money will be managed.  How did they determine $4 million is needed?  What if only $1 million is needed, then what happens to the remaining $3 million?  Who decides what is a valid expense and what is not?  It's a lot of money so it will need to be managed by someone to ensure it is used in a fair and transparent manner. 

Chris1982

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 08, 2018, 04:47:38 PM
I agree with helping the families, I'm just curious how the money will be managed.  How did they determine $4 million is needed?  What if only $1 million is needed, then what happens to the remaining $3 million?  Who decides what is a valid expense and what is not?  It's a lot of money so it will need to be managed by someone to ensure it is used in a fair and transparent manner. 

Not sure of the specifics.  If it concerns you that much, then here is the direct link to the gofundme site of the lady who started it.

https://ca.gofundme.com/funds-for-humboldt-broncos

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 08, 2018, 04:47:38 PM

Im sure there is a valid reason.

Id also think that the arena they play in will take a huge loss without them playing the remaining playoff games. I would also think other arenas that they play in will also take a huge hit.

The money these teams make does not just go to them. It goes to unies and all kinds of things for the younger teams and players in these small towns. These places and arenas dont run for free. Even billit familys are payed.

gbill2004

Quote from: Chris1982 on April 08, 2018, 04:53:40 PM
Not sure of the specifics.  If it concerns you that much, then here is the direct link to the gofundme site of the lady who started it.

https://ca.gofundme.com/funds-for-humboldt-broncos
Ya they give some info there but not a lot of details.  I'm just curious how they came up with $4 million.  Would be nice to see them give any remaining money to another cause that may occur in the future.  

Chris1982

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 08, 2018, 04:58:14 PM
Ya they give some info there but not a lot of details.  I'm just curious how they came up with $4 million.  Would be nice to see them give any remaining money to another cause that may occur in the future.  

There appears to be a link where you can directly mail Sylvie Kellington on the right side of the page.

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 08, 2018, 04:41:42 PM
How is it classless?  It's a valid question. 

Tragedy and grief are things people react to differently.  Timing is also something that is perspective specific. 

Each person has their own definition of "too soon".  And each may have a different opinion on what is an appropriate question, and what is not, regardless timing.

For example, I see a lot of posts about organ donations.  An incredible cause, with an extremely short window for timing.  Does it get done privately, and then discussed publicly later?  Far too few people have filled in their donor cards (I have mine prominently in my wallet, and have discussed it with family and made known my wishes).  From a tragedy like this, there can come some positive, if the timing is right.  And in weeks to come, I hope that we find out some of those stories, how these brave young men who were taken from us far too early live on though others.  And hopefully it inspires even one more donor card to be filled in.

Is it classless to discuss?  Is it too soon?  I don't think so, but others might.

Asking where money we donate is going to be spent, I can see both sides to that.  Building a huge pile of money on the outpouring of helplessness people are feeling in dealing with the tragedy, and not having any idea what is going to be done with it could be seen as a very cynical viewpoint, sure.  But this is Canada, and you know that it is not going to be squandered on paying huge salaries to the fund's directors, and funding junkets and meetings to discuss disbursements of the funds, like many "charities" do.  This is money that will find its way back into the community, you know that.  Whether it be for a wheelchair ramp at the home or arena for a victim that was disabled in the crash, or covering non-insured services during re-hab, or grief counseling for the community,  or even setting up memorial scholarships for the victims or for their families, no one will allow the funds to be squandered.

I understand your question, and agree that is one that is valid, but I don't think that there is an issue.  The question is, at least in Canada and more specifically the prairies, moot.  This is not someone faking cancer to raise money so they don't have to work for a living.   

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

NorthernSkunk

dd

Everyone handles and manages tragedy differently. The questions raised are all valid, too soon for some. Still, at the end of the day, 15 people lost their lives. Good to see how the country has reacted and supported the community, not only with the funding, heck, the Prime Minister is attending the vigil, outstanding country we live in!!!