Blue Bombers Forum
September 25, 2018, 11:09:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: McDuffie  (Read 2513 times)
Blue72

« on: April 04, 2018, 02:20:41 PM »

Ottawa has released McDuffie, any thoughts of bringing him back. He could do both punt and kickoffs plus be there for backup receiver/RB. They seem to be bringing in a lot of DB and receivers so will this be the end of Fogg and Lankford?
Jesse

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:23:56 PM »

I don't really see the need.
the paw

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »

Ottawa has released McDuffie, any thoughts of bringing him back. He could do both punt and kickoffs plus be there for backup receiver/RB. They seem to be bringing in a lot of DB and receivers so will this be the end of Fogg and Lankford?

His returns for Ottawa last year were very average.  His work as a receiver was below average, much as it was here.  

I think Fogg is a good returner who has more value as a dimeback DB than McDuffie does as a spare receiver.  

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »

No to McDuffie. His time has come and gone for the Bombers.

I like Fogg as a returner but he could get beat out by a rookie. He's not strong enough as the back up DB and with all the new DB's being signed he could be on the bubble. Would save a little on SMS as well.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:16:09 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Bond

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »

I don't really see the need.

McDuffie > Langford
gbill2004

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 04:41:18 PM »

McDuffie > Langford
No one expects Lankford to make the team this season. 

And, it's spelled Lankford, not Langford. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:06:40 PM by ModAdmin » Logged
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 04:47:09 PM »

And, it's spelled Lankford, not Langford. 

Lol

I thought there was a rule about members here not allowed to use players names as user names.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:07:03 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
Bond

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »

Nobody expected Lankford to make the team last year either.  Until Walters & company can show an ability to unearth someone better, nothing suggests Lankford won?t be around. 
Bond

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »

Lol

I thought there was a rule about members here not allowed to use players names as user names.

007 plays in the CFL?
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 05:30:44 PM »

Nobody expected Lankford to make the team last year either.  Until Walters & company can show an ability to unearth someone better, nothing suggests Lankford won?t be around. 

Jam-packed at receiver with plenty of returners. The value Lankford brings combined as both a receiver and returner is too small. It's a forgone conclusion us Bomber fans have come to.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 05:47:24 PM »

McDuffie > Langford Lankford

McDuffie: 6 GP, 3 REC for 19 yards, 5 KOR for 105 yards
Lankford: 15 GP, 20 REC for 260 yards and 3 TDs, 17 PR for 132 yards, 50 KOR for 1,223 yards and 1 TD, 3 missed FG returns for 102 yards

Extrapolating the former's stats to match games played, his production is still inferior: ~7 REC for ~48 yards, ~12 KOR for ~262 yards

You really aren't a fan of the Bombers making such ignorant statements. And you've never heard of Chris Givens, apparently.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »

Langford aside from returning kicks and receiving was also our back up punter.  Who else on our roster is there that can also punt, or PK for that matter in the event Medlock gets injured?

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
gbill2004

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »

Langford aside from returning kicks and receiving was also our back up punter.  Who else on our roster is there that can also punt, or PK for that matter in the event Medlock gets injured?
I asked O'Shea that last year and he said there were a few guys who could do those duties, as a backup in a worst case scenario. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »

McDuffie: 6 GP, 3 REC for 19 yards, 5 KOR for 105 yards
Lankford: 15 GP, 20 REC for 260 yards and 3 TDs, 17 PR for 132 yards, 50 KOR for 1,223 yards and 1 TD, 3 missed FG returns for 102 yards

Extrapolating the former's stats to match games played, his production is still inferior: ~7 REC for ~48 yards, ~12 KOR for ~262 yards

You really aren't a fan of the Bombers making such ignorant statements. And you've never heard of Chris Givens, apparently.

You're going to use Givens as the " better " example? Yikes. I'm not convinced he makes the roster either.

Ratio suggests only 3 import receivers and Bowman has got that locked down.

Lankford, Givens, L'Damian Washington return from 2017; Brown, Coney, C.Washington and White are in the mix. Mostly for a possible DI spot and spots on the PR.

IMO Lankford is as good as gone. Givens and L'Damian Washington will face competition and realistically we're looking for PR players. Will either of those two be willing to spend another season essentially on the PR? Are we willing to carry 1 o both on 1 game or 2 man reserve?

Not sure but I'm guessing these spots are open for the taking by rookies.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:42:43 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Chris1982
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »

007 plays in the CFL?

Just pure coincidence that you are a new member to the board and call yourself "Bond", just weeks after Travis Bond signs with Sask?
Bond

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 06:49:27 PM »

Is that the same Chris Given?s who caught about 4 or 5 passes last season?
Noeller

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »

Fogg will return punts as an extra DB, and Flanders and Demski likely return kicks as SBs.....tough to get a designated returner on the roster.
Bond

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 06:52:40 PM »

Just pure coincidence that you are a new member to the board and call yourself "Bond", just weeks after Travis Bond signs with Sask?

Huge 007 fan & an even bigger fan of Travis Bond.  He made enough time last season to spend over half an hour after a game with a friend of ours disabled son who?s a big Bombers fan.   What?s your issue?
Bond

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 06:55:52 PM »

Fogg will return punts as an extra DB, and Flanders and Demski likely return kicks as SBs.....tough to get a designated returner on the roster.

I?ve always hated plucking a valuable starter into returning kicks.  Would love to have a guy like Finch or Thigpen whom you know is a threat to take it to the house each & every time they touch the ball.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »

You're going to use Givens as the " better " example? Yikes. I'm not convinced he makes the roster either.

Ratio suggests only 3 import receivers and Bowman has got that locked down.

Lankford, Givens, L'Damian Washington return from 2017; Brown, Coney, C.Washington and White are in the mix. Mostly for a possible DI spot and spots on the PR.

IMO Lankford is as good as gone. Givens and L'Damian Washington will face competition and realistically we're looking for PR players. Will either of those two be willing to spend another season essentially on the PR? Are we willing to carry 1 o both on 1 game or 2 man reserve?

Not sure but I'm guessing these spots are open for the taking by rookies.

What I'm saying is considering Givens actually played more than Lankford as the season neared its ending, it's not an unreasonable guess the coaches see him as the better player. He was only added to the roster in late September, so I would say it's premature to write him off at this point in time. I think he's got the higher upside.

Is that the same Chris Given?s who caught about 4 or 5 passes last season?

In 3GP, 5 REC for 48 yards, as well as 9 KOR for 184 yards. Over 15 GP, that's 25 REC for 240 yards and 45 KOR for 920 yards.

Would love to have a guy like Finch or Thigpen whom you know is a threat to take it to the house each & every time they touch the ball.

Finch isn't a free agent. And Thigpen? Thigpen the doper? When was he a threat last season? Cheesy

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Bond

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 08:08:21 PM »

What I'm saying is considering Givens actually played more than Lankford as the season neared its ending, it's not an unreasonable guess the coaches see him as the better player. He was only added to the roster in late September, so I would say it's premature to write him off at this point in time. I think he's got the higher upside.

In 3GP, 5 REC for 48 yards, as well as 9 KOR for 184 yards. Over 15 GP, that's 25 REC for 240 yards and 45 KOR for 920 yards.

Finch isn't a free agent. And Thigpen? Thigpen the doper? When was he a threat last season? Cheesy

I said find a player like Roy Finch.   Although Thigpen is an established returner, I mispoke as I was thinking about a Christion Jones type player
Blue In BC

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 08:54:52 PM »

Lankford played 15 games. Givens played 3 games, 5 receptions for 48 yards.  I don't think the WHEN he played those games is significant. They were injury replacements rotated into games.

Bombers are said to be very high on Lankford but IMO neither has shown a significant value to the team.

Regardless. The hope is that the marginal non full time starters can be upgraded by rookies in TC.

Considering we may not have room on the 44 AR for a returner or receiver, this becomes even more pressing to find PR guys that have more upside.

Is it too soon to give up on Givens? Perhaps but that's not exactly the point.

None of Givens, Lankford, Washington were able to take and keep a starting position.

Also heard the Bombers say they were high on Myles White.

It's typical stuff we hear during the off season. Check back and you'll probably find similar comments about the part time PR guys from the end of 2016 that were quickly replaced going into 2017 TC.

On the roster in 2016 and accounted for about 100 total receptions: Mayo, Jace Davis, Sheppard,McDuffie, Gurley, Kris Adams. None of them played for the Bombers in 2017.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:15:14 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 12:50:11 AM »

pass unless we have injuries

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
dd

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 03:58:40 AM »

We ve moved on from this guy, Walters won't bring him back, he's going to stick with his current roster
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 04:36:42 AM »

I asked O'Shea that last year and he said there were a few guys who could do those duties, as a backup in a worst case scenario. 
Thanks....I was hoping so just in case Medlock goes down to injury....he is getting older and kickers pull hamstrings on occasion.....I mean if that happened we might be screwed but we?ve been lucky so far.   I don?t think he has much of an injury record but these things start haunting you in time.

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
GCn18

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 06:06:59 AM »

I said find a player like Roy Finch.   Although Thigpen is an established returner, I mispoke as I was thinking about a Christion Jones type player

Soooo...emulate Saskatchewan's model for success? No thanks.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Bond

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 11:21:41 AM »

Soooo...emulate Saskatchewan's model for success? No thanks.

Considering the Riders are emulating a lot of the Stamps model for success perhaps you should rethink that statement.  Going into the 5th season of this regime & still no playoff wins I think it?d be wise for us to use a template that works.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »

Considering the Riders are emulating a lot of the Stamps model for success perhaps you should rethink that statement.

LOL Cheesy

Hufnagel took a 7-10-1 team, and as a rookie GM/HC went 13-5 in 2008 and won a championship. He also won CFL Coach of the Year. How have the Jonestown Riders emulated anything similar to what Hufnagel's Stampeders have done?

Get a grip on reality.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Pigskin

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 12:49:10 PM »

I would go after Kenny Shaw before McDuffie.
gbill2004

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 12:57:39 PM »

I would go after Kenny Shaw before McDuffie.
Stangby is interesting too. 
BlueInCgy

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »

Stangby is interesting too. 

That was my first thought as well when I saw the releases posted.
Duckman118

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 03:34:34 PM »

Considering the Riders are emulating a lot of the Stamps model for success perhaps you should rethink that statement.  Going into the 5th season of this regime & still no playoff wins I think it?d be wise for us to use a template that works.
Sooooo aim for a crossover spot to play against the weak east to attain a cheap victory in the semi finals. Got it.

"There is a conviction,
when you believe above,
absence leaks from inside,
and brings you back to life again,
I fear an emptiness,
so I just seek the truth,
then I just find myself,
coming back to you."

-Texas In July
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 03:58:15 PM »

Sooooo aim for a crossover spot to play against the weak east to attain a cheap victory in the semi finals and then choke in the final minute of the East Final. Got it.

Fixed it for you. Wink

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Bond

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 04:08:03 PM »

LOL Cheesy

Hufnagel took a 7-10-1 team, and as a rookie GM/HC went 13-5 in 2008 and won a championship. He also won CFL Coach of the Year. How have the Jonestown Riders emulated anything similar to what Hufnagel's Stampeders have done?

Get a grip on reality.

I was referring to how to build a team.  I never once said anything about immediate results.  Heck they even hired one of the guys responsible for the Stamps success over the years, John Murphy.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 04:33:10 PM »

I was referring to how to build a team.  I never once said anything about immediate results.  Heck they even hired one of the guys responsible for the Stamps success over the years, John Murphy.

How is what Jones has done so far in any way similar to what Hufnagel has done? Huh

Mediocre to downright piss-poor drafting. Building heavily through free agency/trades, and overpaying for players. That's not how Hufnagel operates.

Murphy was a solid hire but you seem to be exaggerating the importance of it to then feebly compare on equal terms two organizations that operate quite differently.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »

Riders recent drafts have been disasterous.  I?d prefer Joe Mack being in charge of my drafts. 
theaardvark

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 05:18:23 PM »

Huff trades away overpriced players at the end of a career (Hughes)... Jones trades for them.

Huff cuts players that are a locker room problem (McDaniels)... Jones recruits them (McDaniels, Carter)

And drafting.. well... nuff said.

But other than that, sure, they are twins.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2018, 10:12:35 PM »

I'd rather bring in Josh Stangby  if we pick up a recently cut RedBlack
Bond

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2018, 11:08:37 PM »

Huff trades away overpriced players at the end of a career (Hughes)... Jones trades for them.
Who have the Riders traded for that?s overpriced?  Have you seen how reasonable Hughes contract is?

Huff cuts players that are a locker room problem (McDaniels)... Jones recruits them (McDaniels, Carter)
When did Huff cut McDaniel?  When did Jones recruit McDaniel?  Carter is loved in the Riders lockerroom.

And drafting.. well... nuff said.

But other than that, sure, they are twins.

Jones? drafting has been average in my opinion.   StJohn is like Ekakitie, first overall player who needs more development.  Cameron Judge looked good on teams & was starting to be inserted on the Riders defence just when he got hurt.  Bladek looked very good last year & a recent article on the Riders webpage suggests he may already be challenging for starting position.   Jones has only had 2 drafts & considering that Canadian draftees usually take a couple years to develop into starters it?s still to be determined how Jones?s draft record pans out.
Bond

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2018, 11:12:44 PM »

I'd rather bring in Josh Stangby  if we pick up a recently cut RedBlack

The last thing we need is another smaller receiver.   We need to recruit or trade for a big body type receiver to step in if Bowman gets injured or if he struggles like he did last season.
GCn18

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2018, 02:44:06 AM »

Who have the Riders traded for that?s overpriced?  Have you seen how reasonable Hughes contract is?
When did Huff cut McDaniel?  When did Jones recruit McDaniel?  Carter is loved in the Riders lockerroom.

Jones? drafting has been average in my opinion.   StJohn is like Ekakitie, first overall player who needs more development.  Cameron Judge looked good on teams & was starting to be inserted on the Riders defence just when he got hurt.  Bladek looked very good last year & a recent article on the Riders webpage suggests he may already be challenging for starting position.   Jones has only had 2 drafts & considering that Canadian draftees usually take a couple years to develop into starters it?s still to be determined how Jones?s draft record pans out.

LOL...I would bet a million dollars that there is a significant amount of players in the locker room that don't really like him. Or maybe they were just fighting him for fun last year.

GCn18

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2018, 02:47:21 AM »

This may be the most grossly incorrect statement I have heard from you yet. There is literally nothing in the way Chris Jones builds his roster that emulates the way Hufnagel does it. Chris Jones is more comparable to Jim Popp or Brendan Taman than to Hufnagel. Jones has been, by far, the most active GM in FA the past couple years and his success rate at doing so is poor.

RebusRankin

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2018, 03:37:59 AM »

So Chris Jones takes the following players in 2016:
Josiah St John-who can't get on the roster many weeks, is a deep reserve at best so far and who looked terrible when he plays first overall
Elie Bouka-Currently with the Eagles
Quinn Van Gylswyk- With the Als
David Onyemata- With the Saints
Alex Ogbongbemiga-With BC
Alex McKay-Not in the CFL
Joshua Stanford-With the team

So two guys with the team.

Cameron Judge-Ster
Bladek-Played, looked overwhelmed
Auclair-NFL
Eddie Meridith-meh
Picton-depth wr
Sprukulis-meh

Look up Calgary the past two years, Migs, oh I mean Bond and tell us again how Jones is following the Calgary plan.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2018, 03:49:53 AM »

Maybe because he's the team's official weed supplier?  Always smuggling the good stuff up from the USA.  Cheesy

One more time, DC... does Canada have a "three strikes" law?  Bet he gets extra special attention every time he passes through security at YWG  Grin
GCn18

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2018, 04:03:39 AM »

So Chris Jones takes the following players in 2016:
Josiah St John-who can't get on the roster many weeks, is a deep reserve at best so far and who looked terrible when he plays first overall
Elie Bouka-Currently with the Eagles
Quinn Van Gylswyk- With the Als
David Onyemata- With the Saints
Alex Ogbongbemiga-With BC
Alex McKay-Not in the CFL
Joshua Stanford-With the team

So two guys with the team.

Cameron Judge-Ster
Bladek-Played, looked overwhelmed
Auclair-NFL
Eddie Meridith-meh
Picton-depth wr
Sprukulis-meh

Look up Calgary the past two years, Migs, oh I mean Bond and tell us again how Jones is following the Calgary plan.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. His drafting of players is poor, he builds his team primarily through FA and not recruitment, has zero continuity and extremely high player turnover, and has a reputation around the league of treating vets shabbily and not being a man of his word. Yea that sounds a lot like Hufnagel. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:05:21 AM by GCn17 » Logged

theaardvark

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 01:46:11 PM »

That's just the tip of the iceberg. His drafting of players is poor, he builds his team primarily through FA and not recruitment, has zero continuity and extremely high player turnover, and has a reputation around the league of treating vets shabbily and not being a man of his word. Yea that sounds a lot like Hufnagel. Roll Eyes

And his first acts as GM?  Cut heart and soul guys like Chick, Dressler, Durant...

(PSA:  don't google "riders cut chick")
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:06:34 PM by theaardvark » Logged

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: