Bombers Re-sign Jackson Jeffcoat

Started by ModAdmin, January 16, 2023, 09:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 18, 2023, 01:47:40 PM
I have no idea the cash involved which is why it's really hard to evaluate. After 2021, he talked about getting paid and moving on from the team. He ended up being the first pending free agent signed and said that the Bombers took care of him. In short, he got paid in 2022. If he's getting near the same money for 2023 I think it's a poor gamble. Certainly he is not getting a bump. If he's back on a more friendly deal it makes sense.

Jeffcoat is probably making around $185k which is about $25k less than Jefferson, good deal for one of the very best in the league IMO.   

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 18, 2023, 04:26:12 PM
Jeffcoat is probably making around $185k which is about $25k less than Jefferson, good deal for one of the very best in the league IMO.   

According to this, last year he was the 5th highest paid defense player which was a very bad deal in hindsight.

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/20/the-cfls-ten-highest-paid-defensive-ends-for-the-2022-season/

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 18, 2023, 05:14:05 PM
According to this, last year he was the 5th highest paid defense player which was a very bad deal in hindsight.

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/20/the-cfls-ten-highest-paid-defensive-ends-for-the-2022-season/

That's harsh. Any player can be injured during the season.  When he's healthy he's a monster on the field. His sacks, tipped passes, strips let to turnovers and changes of momentum in games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Much of his salary was deducted from the cap by being 6-gamed last season, Bombers coffers are flush with cash from the best attendance ever, no sweat.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 18, 2023, 05:23:05 PM
That's harsh. Any player can be injured during the season.  When he's healthy he's a monster on the field. His sacks, tipped passes, strips let to turnovers and changes of momentum in games.

A tad harsh, sure. But he has never played 18 games. He played 16, 12, 12, 12 and 12, since 2017. Last year he had 4 sacks in 12 games. Again, it's a good signing if he has taken a pay cut. It's not our finest move if he's still payed in the top 5 or so defensive players in the league.

And to respond to someone else, just because he's 6-gamed and SMS exempt for a stretch of the season doesn't make it much better. There is an opportunity cost to consider with the choice to begin with.

Pigskin

JJ94 has never played a full season for the Bombers.

2017- 16 games.
2018- 12 games
2019- 12 games.
2021- 12 games
2022- 12 games.

64 games.   126DT, 30 Sacks, 2Int, 10 FF. The 10 FF is pretty impressive, and he knocks down a lot of footballs.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on January 18, 2023, 09:05:23 PM
64 games.   126DT, 30 Sacks, 2Int, 10 FF. The 10 FF is pretty impressive, and he knocks down a lot of footballs.

The FF/recovery in the '22 GC, and other FF's in post-season games, really count for a lot in my books.  He lives up to his father's mantra.  Those mega-plays are what allow us to win sometimes.  (We should have won that '22 GC if our O had not been asleep (and the D made a couple more plays)).

Is it worth huge bucks when JJ plays around 12 games a season?  My counter-question is: how good would Willie be without JJ's help?  The games where we get to find out it does appear Willie is quieter.  And it makes sense.

I'm ok with the deal, and so it seems is KW/MOS/RH.  Now that you guys laid out the games-played stats, it could be his injuries are often NOT 6-gamers, it's just that we plan around the savings of having him on the 6-game.  I'm ok with that too.

And yet we still don't have satisfactory explanations of what ails him year after year... All the while Willie keeps trucking on and never misses any game...
Never go full Rider!

Pete

I like the signing but it really requires that we sign/find a good rotational de in order to manage workload or come in if Jeffcoat does get hurt, something we weren't able to  do last year

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on January 19, 2023, 01:37:08 AM
I like the signing but it really requires that we sign/find a good rotational de in order to manage workload or come in if Jeffcoat does get hurt, something we weren't able to  do last year

Yes, whether we get another solid rookie NAT like Kongbo, or some solid NAT vet, or just get an easier-to-find (read: cheaper) IMP.... but the trick is getting one who doesn't mind sitting a lot, yet is still good enough to be effective (or good enough to waste a DI).  In the best case, we already have such a guy on the roster, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Maybe the IMP VET (FAKENAT) rule will change the calculus a bit, for the "easier".
Never go full Rider!

blueandgoldguy

I really hope it's for less pay than last year.  As already stated here, he misses several games each season, and when he did play this year, I found he wasn't as impactful.  Maybe that was partially due to our interior d-line being less impactful than the previous 2 seasons with the loss of Stove and kongbo?

Pigskin

He actually only missed 2 games in 2021. 14 game season.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

I don't think we bring Jeffcoat back by lowballing him. He probably got very similar to last year.

And I am fine with that.
My wife is amazing!