Blue Bombers Forum
September 25, 2018, 11:09:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "10 faces in new places"  (Read 3118 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2018, 09:03:05 PM »

Not as far as I know.  You may be thinking of Campbell.

Ah. Yes that's the player.

No more excuses.
bluebeard

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »

I don't think that I ever said that he would be a solid starter but that he did play well as a first year player when called upon when injuries happened.  I think that he did play well being a first year player out of college.  Will he progress past that.......I don't know.  For me, his limited play last season was good but he still has to take the next step.
the paw

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2018, 09:14:45 PM »

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I meant that, obviously, when Messam comes off every 3-ish plays to suck oxygen, they'll need to shuffle the O a bit to maintain ratio.  My main point was with the "big name" ("decent name"?) NAT O talent gone (LaFrance/Demski) who will they put on?  I said "backfield" to mean RB and slot (and FB), but of course they could sub a (usually ignored) WR too.

But you guys proved my point when you filled me in on SSK's options as to who they sub for those plays (which will be at least half of all O plays based on Messam's on-field time last year) and it doesn't look pretty for SSK.  Their NAT non-OL O depth is no-name and mediocre at best.

WBB are in a far better position with the wealth of NAT O talent and depth, a key focus of Walters in FA.

I agree Messam is slowing down a bit, but he?s hardly the wheezing geriatric you are making him out to be.

Messam led the league in rushing carries last year with 215 compared to Harris at 189.  His YPC was less than usual, but hw was still caring his share of the work.

grab grass 'n growl
TecnoGenius

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2018, 03:43:14 AM »

I agree Messam is slowing down a bit, but he?s hardly the wheezing geriatric you are making him out to be.

Hehehe.  You're right, but nice thought, anyway.  I actually think Messam will fade away due to head injuries and concerns.  He's Cornish part 2.  Some RB can take the hits with zero head issues (i.e. Harris), some can't (Messam).
theaardvark

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »

Hehehe.  You're right, but nice thought, anyway.  I actually think Messam will fade away due to head injuries and concerns.  He's Cornish part 2.  Some RB can take the hits with zero head issues (i.e. Harris), some can't (Messam).

Head trauma manifests in different ways, at different rates, with different results.  Not sure if head trauma is hurting Messam, or helping, because early in his career he was not a model CFL player, but more recently, he seems to have left his baggage behind....

Or he just grew up...

Regardless, health is always an issue with players as they age.  And he has played 18 games only 33% of his years in the league... and 66% of those were years 1 and 2...  running on SSK is going to be a lot harder and more dangerous than running on CGY was...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
the paw

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2018, 02:25:11 PM »

Regardless, health is always an issue with players as they age.  And he has played 18 games only 33% of his years in the league... and 66% of those were years 1 and 2...  running on SSK is going to be a lot harder and more dangerous than running on CGY was...

This is such a distortion.  Why do you do this?

Messam has played 18 games 3 times, but he has also played 17 games in two seasons.  The only season he played fewer than 14 games was 2012, when he missed half the season because he was with the Dolphins.  He has been very durable.

You can critique his effectiveness in YPC, but not his durability or the number of carries he has been getting.

grab grass 'n growl
bluebeard

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »

Head trauma manifests in different ways, at different rates, with different results.  Not sure if head trauma is hurting Messam, or helping, because early in his career he was not a model CFL player, but more recently, he seems to have left his baggage behind....

Or he just grew up...

You're right Ards.  Messam was a hot head when he was young and fought in dressing rooms.  Broke one guys nose and believe that this was why BC let him go.  Very good football player but what I would call a wing nut.

At 6 3 and listed at 230, he is very hard to tackle head to head.  I do not recall him having concussion problems in the past and as he plays closer to 250 lbs, most teams tackle his lower body......legs hips etc.  He is a hard man to stand up and most defensive players grab on and wait for help.  If he leaves the game it probably be something like a blown out knee that will do the trick.

Believe that he went to Edmonton and they could not control him.  Sask got him from Montreal as he was not playing much and backed up.  

Marriage seems to have calmed him down and now like you said he seems to have left that baggage behind.

Age will take a toll no doubt but with careful handling, getting rest periods during a game, he may last longer then one suspects.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2018, 04:53:25 PM »

This is such a distortion.  Why do you do this?

Messam has played 18 games 3 times, but he has also played 17 games in two seasons.  The only season he played fewer than 14 games was 2012, when he missed half the season because he was with the Dolphins.  He has been very durable.

You can critique his effectiveness in YPC, but not his durability or the number of carries he has been getting.
Easy to explain Aard's approach - if they play for the bombers they be good - if they play for anyone else they be bad! Been that way in the years past and do not see much changing. Just have to take him with a sold grain of salt so to speak. If Messam were in Bomber Blue -- Aards would be singing his praise to the high heavens!
GCn18

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:23 PM »

Messam led the league in rushing carries last year with 215 compared to Harris at 189.  His YPC was less than usual, but hw was still caring his share of the work.

Messam is capable of 200 carries, but his numbers precipitously dropped off in the last half of the season. He can be a bulldozer early on for them and probably fade away in the 2nd half, but more likely they will platoon him to keep him fresh into the late stages of the season.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
DM83

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2018, 07:19:50 PM »

Hypocrites!  If the Bimners had him we would be unstoppable on Offense.  He and Harris.  What a dream. Plus fresh back even play one out of the slot and terrorize the DB who had to cover either..

Both backs are at the end of their careers.  Thirty plus year old running backs need TLC, and certainly not Winnipeg did to Harris.  He needs less time taking shots.

Managing the minutes, is key for the post season.  I want fresh legs, not some burned out shell at that time of the year.
dd

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2018, 08:41:22 PM »

I think that?s why we signed Lafrance- to give Harris a breather and still keep moving the ball. Harris or any back for that matter, can?t keep taking the repeated pounding and continue on as if nothing happened. Harris does get alot of touches as the check down receiver but he still gets his fair share of shots. Being over 30, he s nearing the end of his great career too, so all the more to manage his minutes even more wisely.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: