Blue Bombers Forum
July 17, 2018, 06:20:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "10 faces in new places"  (Read 2588 times)
bluebeard

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2018, 06:39:29 PM »

OK, Bond & other Messam-lovers, what does SSK do on O when Messam comes off every couple of plays to catch his breath?  How do they maintain the ratio?  No LaFrance to put in instead.  No Demski.  What NAT can they possibly put in the backfield when old-man Messam is catching his breath on the sidelines?  Or does Jones just flat out cheat the ratio?

Our O RB/REC depth means that BB won't have a similar problem with Harris.  Better yet, Harris seems to stay in for waaaay more plays than Messam does.

How about like they did last year.......they put in Spencer Moore their FB for blocking purposes.  They throw the ball way more then running it.
Chris1982
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »

I dont see how this is an issue.  If anything, its a huge benefit.

Last year they ran the majority of their season with an INT RB (Cameron Marshall or Trent Richardson).  Messam is NAT, which is only a benefit.

I havent seen the rest of their projected roster for this year, but strictly from an RB standpoint ratio, there is no issue.

I know Bond is INT, was their entire offensive line NAT last year?
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »

I know Bond is INT, was their entire offensive line NAT last year?

Nope. Campbell and Dennis are both INT.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
bluebeard

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2018, 07:26:29 PM »

Coleman (Int) played the RT spot last year and when they had injury problems on the OL they put in Bladek (Nat).  Also hearing that St John may be spelling Coleman this year to get reps.  I'm told that he should have been the 6th OL last season but got injured in training camp.  Then he couldn't get back in because of the good play of Bladek.
gbill2004

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2018, 07:32:03 PM »

Coleman (Int) played the RT spot last year and when they had injury problems on the OL they put in Bladek (Nat).  Also hearing that St John may be spelling Coleman this year to get reps.  I'm told that he should have been the 6th OL last season but got injured in training camp.  Then he couldn't get back in because of the good play of Bladek.
St John looks like a pylon from what I?ve seen of him.
RebusRankin

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2018, 07:32:32 PM »

How about like they did last year.......they put in Spencer Moore their FB for blocking purposes.  They throw the ball way more then running it.

If you put Moore in just to block, it meets the ratio requirement but also tips off the D that its a pass play. Its more likely, they take Messam out, put in an int rb and then have to put in Devon Bailey for an int receiver.
booch

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »

doesn't say much for St John then as Bladek looked pretty pedestrian and when teams disguised fronts and did twists and stunts looked hopelessly lost and over matched..
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2018, 07:41:39 PM »

Forgot about Coleman, who's also an INT. He'll be 33 this year.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
bluebeard

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2018, 08:09:34 PM »

doesn't say much for St John then as Bladek looked pretty pedestrian and when teams disguised fronts and did twists and stunts looked hopelessly lost and over matched..
Bladek only took over during injuries during the game as far as  I remember.  To me, and I'm no expert, he looked very good. He did not give up any sacks.  I wonder if you may be thinking of someone else.  The Int that they got from Calgary was a turn style, but I can not remember his name.  He is back with Calgary this year.

I believe that St. John was a OT in college and never did play guard as the Riders played him.  He did not have the upper body strength to handle that spot.  He did look bad when he played that position for Regina.  Also he missed the entire TC that year because of not wanting to sign for what they offered.  Not making excuses but transitioning from American OL to CFL at another spot........it would seem to me to be hard.
booch

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »

no...was Bladek...and yeah he came in when injuries occurred...looked over matched and confused. I sure he will progress and be better...or not....but from last years if he is expected to be a full-time starter he will struggle..as will their O-line...Bond or no Bond and from sounds of it he will be playing in a position where he is not nearly as effective
Blue In BC

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2018, 08:34:09 PM »

Isn't Coleman suspended for a few games? That in itself may result in his eventual release before TC.

No more excuses.
bluebeard

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »

Isn't Coleman suspended for a few games? That in itself may result in his eventual release before TC.
Not as far as I know.  You may be thinking of Campbell.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2018, 08:46:03 PM »

I just didn't understand his logic as to why he thinks their backup has to be NAT. There's no reason I could see.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I meant that, obviously, when Messam comes off every 3-ish plays to suck oxygen, they'll need to shuffle the O a bit to maintain ratio.  My main point was with the "big name" ("decent name"?) NAT O talent gone (LaFrance/Demski) who will they put on?  I said "backfield" to mean RB and slot (and FB), but of course they could sub a (usually ignored) WR too.

But you guys proved my point when you filled me in on SSK's options as to who they sub for those plays (which will be at least half of all O plays based on Messam's on-field time last year) and it doesn't look pretty for SSK.  Their NAT non-OL O depth is no-name and mediocre at best.

WBB are in a far better position with the wealth of NAT O talent and depth, a key focus of Walters in FA.
bluebeard

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2018, 08:46:59 PM »

no...was Bladek...and yeah he came in when injuries occurred...looked over matched and confused. I sure he will progress and be better...or not....but from last years if he is expected to be a full-time starter he will struggle..as will their O-line...Bond or no Bond and from sounds of it he will be playing in a position where he is not nearly as effective
The guy that I was thinking of was Derek Dennis.  Had a terrible season for Regina.  Started out as the LT and he could not handle that and they moved him to OG.  Did not do any better there.  Still think Bladek is a player but I have been wrong many times before.
booch

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »

he may become a player sure..totally agree but he isn't there yet to be your solid CND starter...If they go that route..then they have some thin depth and limited options if he is the best out of camp. And truthfully both Clarke and Dyakowski last year were brutal..so of 5 potential starters as it stands now..Coleman is weakest Tackle in the league..Labatte is a walking bandaid now and in decline and Bond if he plays at Tackle will be grossly mis-used...so their line for first part of season is going to be trouble...and not a formula you want to try and get Collaros back on track...and Not sure he can/will even with an excellent o-line

He has been regressing for 2-3 years now
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: