Blue Bombers Forum
April 23, 2018, 02:30:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Muamba or Mulumba  (Read 6321 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #195 on: April 14, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »

In hindsight, Walters hasn't done a good job in adding new pieces that we need.
Durant is done.  Maybe as a backup play a few games if needed ...ok.....for a,reasonable amount. Sure.

Bowman Huh I hope isn't done.  He looked done last year in Edm.
Demski ?  Sure u of M Bison perfect.  Not for $170,000.00. Is that what we think he is getting?

The other. Guy? He had one good game in Ottawa in the rain  or snow.  He did zilch in Regina.  There are hundreds of Canadian football players out there not on a roster, as good as he is.

Defenders?  Who are they?  A fee agent DB who is supposed to be good.,and two BC lions cuts as DBS Huh Oh yeah?

We lost Heath and Westerman And Bond.  Their replacements are Definitly underwhelming.
IF the new signees play above what they have  shown, last year, then ok.  However,......the replacements for those we have lost, don't equate to performing at the same level.

Finally, our receiving Corp is underwhelming.  Dressler is interested in surviving.  Bowman is crippled, Adams will get hurt by August, Demski has never played as a starter for more than three games, and that leaves Coates, who is in the prime of his career,,as the fifth or sixth option.  Does this mean we are satisfied.  I am not.  This still is the worst receiver Corp in the league.  Ten years ago, maybe. Good.  Now?Huh I don't think they scare anyone.

Boys and girls!!! No middle linebacker, loss of nest pass rusher and best DB,,coupled with a decrepit receiving Corp.....equals........not a playoff appearance.

Walters hasn't got it done.  Zero new talent! Retreads yes. New stars? Nope!

Poppycock, just from last year's squad Jeffcoat, JSK, Flanders and Poop established themselves as recruits that have the potential to be future stars in the CFL, as did Bond.  You could even argue that Nichols stepped up firmly into the "star" category last year based on his consistent performance over the last two seasons, changing the opinion of many non-believers league-wide.  I don't think anyone could continue to argue that Nichols has not established himself as a QB capable of leading the Bombers to a G.C.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:44:48 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
dd

« Reply #196 on: April 14, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »

In hindsight, Walters hasn't done a good job in adding new pieces that we need.
Durant is done.  Maybe as a backup play a few games if needed ...ok.....for a,reasonable amount. Sure.

Bowman Huh I hope isn't done.  He looked done last year in Edm.
Demski ?  Sure u of M Bison perfect.  Not for $170,000.00. Is that what we think he is getting?

The other. Guy? He had one good game in Ottawa in the rain  or snow.  He did zilch in Regina.  There are hundreds of Canadian football players out there not on a roster, as good as he is.

Defenders?  Who are they?  A fee agent DB who is supposed to be good.,and two BC lions cuts as DBS Huh Oh yeah?

We lost Heath and Westerman And Bond.  Their replacements are Definitly underwhelming.
IF the new signees play above what they have  shown, last year, then ok.  However,......the replacements for those we have lost, don't equate to performing at the same level.

Finally, our receiving Corp is underwhelming.  Dressler is interested in surviving.  Bowman is crippled, Adams will get hurt by August, Demski has never played as a starter for more than three games, and that leaves Coates, who is in the prime of his career,,as the fifth or sixth option.  Does this mean we are satisfied.  I am not.  This still is the worst receiver Corp in the league.  Ten years ago, maybe. Good.  Now?Huh I don't think they scare anyone.

Boys and girls!!! No middle linebacker, loss of nest pass rusher and best DB,,coupled with a decrepit receiving Corp.....equals........not a playoff appearance.

Walters hasn't got it done.  Zero new talent! Retreads yes. New stars? Nope!
Oh my gosh, you?re more negative than usual and that?s saying something cause you?re always negative!!

Ok, we lost Westerman, big deal. I won?t miss his 30 yds in UR s every game and Roh is no slouch coming in. We ll be fine there.

Heath was great in zone -that?s where he got his picks from, but was not a physical player at all. Fenner to me is an upgrade

Bowman is a huge plus for us on offense

Durant is a huge upgrade from Dom Davis , at least he knows how to read a defense and distribute the ball

Demski is an upgrade from JFG, Lafrance gives us productive NAT depth at RB

Best off season move we did was we got rid of Hurl!! I don?t care who?s coming in, but they will be better than that sad sack

So our team is better than last years team

Calm down , the sky isn?t falling, in fact it?s sunny out!!!
theaardvark

« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2018, 12:44:34 AM »

The 3 year term for Muamba is interesting. Gives him a chance to settle in with the Als and be a team-mate for once. Probably he was looking for that kind of "security" - if such a thing exists in the CFL. I did not want Muamba here because he strikes me as a "me first" kind of player and therefore maybe not such a great character fit for us. But then, you kind of have to be "me first" when you're playing under those 1+1 deals all the time.

Pretty sure all his contracts have been 3 year deals so far, and only Winnipeg kept him the whole 3...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2018, 07:32:23 AM »

That said it seems almost written in stone that JSK and Wild start.

I think part of Wild's problem the last few years is he's never on the field enough.  He always gets injured and ends up only playing a couple of games at the start of the season and a few at the end.  Then when he is put on it's only throwing downs or alternative-look formations.

I've been rewatching the '13-'16 games and Wild is crazy good when he's in for whole games.  So he's 2-4 years older now, is that his problem or is it just he never gets the rust shaken off?  Has he lost it due to sitting on the bench too many games, or does he just need consistent full-season reps?

I'm wondering where/when Wild will be played.  Is he going to be the main guy finally (again)?  MLB or WIL?  Most downs or just throwing?  Can you go Wild WIL and JSK MLB and Leggett SAM?  That sounds very promising to me.  Not '16 Lions LB corps good, but certainly serviceable.
Doublezero

« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »

Pretty sure all his contracts have been 3 year deals so far, and only Winnipeg kept him the whole 3...
Ah OK - thought he was released from a 1+1 in Sask.

Just gimme the rock.
Blue In BC

« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »

I think part of Wild's problem the last few years is he's never on the field enough.  He always gets injured and ends up only playing a couple of games at the start of the season and a few at the end.  Then when he is put on it's only throwing downs or alternative-look formations.

I've been rewatching the '13-'16 games and Wild is crazy good when he's in for whole games.  So he's 2-4 years older now, is that his problem or is it just he never gets the rust shaken off?  Has he lost it due to sitting on the bench too many games, or does he just need consistent full-season reps?

I'm wondering where/when Wild will be played.  Is he going to be the main guy finally (again)?  MLB or WIL?  Most downs or just throwing?  Can you go Wild WIL and JSK MLB and Leggett SAM?  That sounds very promising to me.  Not '16 Lions LB corps good, but certainly serviceable.

Wild has had some freak injuries. I'm not convinced he won't play 18 games.  However, many felt JSK was as good or had more potential. So that's question # 1. Are we best playing JSK at WIL or is he going to be an outstanding MLB?

To some degree I'm against moving JSK to MLB and think leaving him at WIL is the best option. This assumes we have an answer at MLB not named JSK.

This would leave Wild as the DI since he is the most experienced and could come in as the rotation and 34 LB sets.

Now if the brain trust feels Wild is the better WIL then of course the logic is to move JSK to MLB and see if he is the answer there?

It's possible either of JSK or Wild end up as a DI if we find a new stud MLB. A few posters were really high on Jervais Jones??

OTOH, it's remotely possible we don't use a DI spot on a LB which is our norm the past few seasons. A few posters have shown confidence in Briggs backing up at WIL, Miles at MLB and / or in 34 sets? I'm not in favor of either being primary in game back ups though. OTOH we can't have DI's for every situation.

It's going to depend on the performances of the rookies at several positions. Do we find a receiver / returner so good we can't keep him off the roster? Do we find a LB too good to keep off the roster?

Watching which LB's are getting 1st string reps in early days of TC will be interesting. IMO that will be a clear indication of who they WANT to start where.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:20:45 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »

From Muamba's perspective.

http://3downnation.com/2018/04/14/henoc-muamba-sensed-his-riders-release-coming/

Henoc Muamba sensed his Riders release coming.

Posted on April 14, 2018 by Justin Dunk // 105 Comments

Henoc Muamba had an inkling he wouldn?t be in Saskatchewan for the 2018 CFL season.

The Riders gave Muamba his $35,000 off-season payment in January, but the 29-year-old has been in pro football since 2011 and knew that didn?t guarantee playing out the final year of his contract in Regina, especially with another large bonus due in February.

?I wasn?t thinking that I got my first one and my second one is coming that means I?m going to stay here. I really take it day by day, week to week and year to year. I?ve been in the league for long enough to know the language that general managers, so I have a good feel for the industry, the business,? Muamba, who recently signed with the Alouettes, said.

?I kind of saw it coming. So it wasn?t the biggest shock to me. People were more shocked when they heard about the actual announcement. But I was shocked way before the announcement when that process kind of started. The announcement itself was not a shock to me.?

Despite being released by two teams with off-season bonuses looming ? Montreal let him go in February 2016 to avoid making a payment ? Muamba believes those (potential) payments are important.

?I have a great agent in Johnathon Hardaway, I would even say the best agent out there. I could be biased but he?s the one who negotiates my contracts and I?ve been with him from the beginning of my professional career until now and I really trust him and I know that he wants the best for me,? Muamba said. ?I love the way he does business as well, I love how he structures my contracts, but it?s not just how you structure the contract it?s also the value of the player that you?re structuring the contract for. You have to know your value and the more you can bring to the table the more you can negotiate and ask for when it comes time to it.?

The Riders shopped Muamba in advance of cutting him loose, never an easy process for a player.

?I heard about the trade rumours around the same time I had the feeling where this was headed. Another reason why I knew is because I?ve been in the business long enough and in the league long enough to know when and how certain things will happen. I also have the right perspective of what this business and what this league is about and how it operates,? Muamba said

?I?m actually very interested in business when I?m done [playing] I plan on getting involved in a lot of business, not necessarily in football, but running a business. So having that mentality as well I see and understand some GMs perspectives and mentalities ? you have to understand supply and demand. It?s good to have that mentality as well to know when people want to negotiate certain things or want to change certain things with respect to the contract and the business side of things. That?s one of the reasons why I wasn?t too shocked.?

Last season with the Riders, Muamba had his best year since the CFL all-star campaign he put together in 2013, playing in 17 games making 82 tackles, three forced fumbles and two interceptions to earn the Riders Most Outstanding Canadian award. He would?ve made around $220,000 in 2018 under the original three-year pact signed with Saskatchewan if he stayed in green and white.

?I?ve always approached this game, especially at this level you have to understand ? as fun as the game is and as good as it is to me and my family ? there is a business side to it. I understand that I am my own business. With that being said, I know my worth, I know what I offer as well, what I bring to the table to a team. Understanding that with respect to the market and understanding yourself is important moving forward when you talk about business,? Muamba said.

The St. Francis Xavier University product played parts of two seasons in Riderville and Muamba will always remember opening new Mosaic Stadium and the passionate fanbase.

?It was a great atmosphere to be able to open up a new stadium out there was amazing. I had a good time in Saskatchewan and I have a lot of love for a lot of the guys in that locker room. I made some great friends, probably some friends that I?ll have for the rest of my life. The fans in Saskatchewan were definitely one of the best fans in the CFL,? Muamba said.

?Some tough decisions have to be made when it comes to business. And if that?s what happened, one of the reasons you don?t hear any anger in my voice, part of being a professional is understanding it is what it is.?
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »

Wild has been a very good WIL when he's been healthy and as stated most of his injuries have been "freak" occurrences like broken bones.  In that regard he's been no worse than Leggett who has also missed significant game time over the last two seasons, both need to be on the field for every snap when able.  I think Walters alluded to this a few months ago when he mentioned cutting down on the positional rotations.
theaardvark

« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2018, 01:21:25 AM »

Wild has been a very good WIL when he's been healthy and as stated most of his injuries have been "freak" occurrences like broken bones.  In that regard he's been no worse than Leggett who has also missed significant game time over the last two seasons, both need to be on the field for every snap when able.  I think Walters alluded to this a few months ago when he mentioned cutting down on the positional rotations.

Heck, WIL is his middle name... well, actually 3/4's of his last name.... 

Yes, Wild is one of the best WIL LB's in the league when healthy, and a dynamo on teams.  Fingers crossed he stays out of the tub...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
theaardvark

« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »

Bombers chose not to choose me: Muamba

http://3downnation.com/2018/04/16/bombers-chose-not-to-choose-me-muamba/

The lack of patience was a major reason for Henoc Muamba electing to turn his focus towards other franchises and cross Winnipeg off the list of potential landing spots.

?Some of the teams that did leave or were not in contention when it came down to it at the end, part of the reason was because they were impatient. To me, it really helped my decision process to be honest,? Muamba said.

?I didn?t not choose Winnipeg, they chose not to choose me.?

He goes on to say that the  "Muamba Tour" situations were instigated by the teams, not him, and that they weren't just fun trips, but business trips, because he has a baby at home he dearly wants to be with...  and I can see that this time, but not the other times... and that teams, like ours, did it this time because we knew what was expected from past experience.

the paw

« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »

Walters had a shorter time line because he had a firm figure in mind for his budget, and knew that the longer he waited, the less likely it was that we would get him at $170k.  So he pushed for a quick decision.  Makes sense. 

Muamba and his agent slow-played the deal, because they knew that the longer there were more teams in the process, the higher price they could command.  Waiting it out got them $15k more than the Bombers offer.  Makes sense. 

No good guys, no bad guys, just some people doing business where there wasn't a meeting of the minds. 

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2018, 09:32:39 PM »

Walters had a shorter time line because he had a firm figure in mind for his budget, and knew that the longer he waited, the less likely it was that we would get him at $170k.  So he pushed for a quick decision.  Makes sense. 

Muamba and his agent slow-played the deal, because they knew that the longer there were more teams in the process, the higher price they could command.  Waiting it out got them $15k more than the Bombers offer.  Makes sense. 

No good guys, no bad guys, just some people doing business where there wasn't a meeting of the minds. 

Not sure it got them any more... MTL would have been happy to pay what they did day one... maybe even more...

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »

Bombers chose not to choose me: Muamba

http://3downnation.com/2018/04/16/bombers-chose-not-to-choose-me-muamba/

The lack of patience was a major reason for Henoc Muamba electing to turn his focus towards other franchises and cross Winnipeg off the list of potential landing spots.

?Some of the teams that did leave or were not in contention when it came down to it at the end, part of the reason was because they were impatient. To me, it really helped my decision process to be honest,? Muamba said.

?I didn?t not choose Winnipeg, they chose not to choose me.?

He goes on to say that the  "Muamba Tour" situations were instigated by the teams, not him, and that they weren't just fun trips, but business trips, because he has a baby at home he dearly wants to be with...  and I can see that this time, but not the other times... and that teams, like ours, did it this time because we knew what was expected from past experience.

Good to know Montreal is a patient group. So patient, they out patient-ed the rest of the GMs. Perhaps not coincidentally, Henoc, Kavis and Montreal fans are going to have to have a lot more patience this year.
theaardvark

« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »

Good to know Montreal is a patient group. So patient, they out patient-ed the rest of the GMs. Perhaps not coincidentally, Henoc, Kavis and Montreal fans are going to have to have a lot more patience this year.

Ummm... I think the patience is going to last more than this year...

Pigskin

« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2018, 07:05:17 PM »

I would have like to have had HM on our team this year. With Westerman gone, he would have been a nice pickup for us. But I think HM comments show that he is only interested in one person. Walters gave him 2 weeks which is more than enough time to make up his mind. I think he was only using Winnipeg to get Montreal to pay more money. However in the end Walters didn't bite.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  

Jump to: