Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 08:03:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: No Muamba or Mulumba  (Read 11642 times)
blue_or_die

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »

Re Waggoner, it's tough. This team's CDN content was putrid at the time, and Walters spent a future pick on trying to shore it up.

Who knew he'd be more interested in selling health food products than working out and being a football player.

I know Walters wanted it him, but it's not a slam dunk we would have gotten Singleton, and even if we did, we likely wouldn't have Loffler then.

I'm more disappointed in supplemental K Pooblah...

Pretty sure Poblah contributed more than Waggoner.
gbill2004

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »

Re Waggoner, it's tough. This team's CDN content was putrid at the time, and Walters spent a future pick on trying to shore it up.

Who knew he'd be more interested in selling health food products than working out and being a football player.

I know Walters wanted it him, but it's not a slam dunk we would have gotten Singleton, and even if we did, we likely wouldn't have Loffler then.

I'm more disappointed in supplemental K Pooblah...
We had first overall pick that year so yes, if Walters wanted Singleton, he could have had him.  And I don't see how getting Singleton is related to not getting Loffler. 
bluengold204

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »

We had first overall pick that year so yes, if Walters wanted Singleton, he could have had him.  And I don't see how getting Singleton is related to not getting Loffler. 

not that it matters but we had the second overall pick not first
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 01:42:02 PM »

I agree that Waggoner turned out to be a colossal bust for what we gave up to get him. Walters is as much to blame for Mulumba being a bust as Mack is. Why? Because last year Mulumba became available and Walters could not close on a contract with him. That's on Walters....not on Mack.

Absolutely not. Walters wasn't the one who drafted him.

And furthermore, a contract requires two parties to agree. Mulumba's camp seemed to want way more than what Walters was comfortable with and the two sides couldn't agree to a contract. What has Mulumba done to make such demands, anyway?

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 01:47:11 PM »

not that it matters but we had the second overall pick not first
Thanks, you are correct, but we still could have had Singleton as he was drafted 6th by Calgary. 
SSC

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »

Oh well life goes on. This team has done pretty well without them.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 02:11:54 PM »

Thanks, you are correct, but we still could have had Singleton as he was drafted 6th by Calgary

Agreed. Forfeiting that first round pick proved costly (and yes, I say that in hindsight).

Singleton, Corney, Loffler... That's one hell of a draft day!

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
sweep the leg

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 03:11:46 PM »

I think the longer he's in the NFL, the less likely he plays in the CFL. 

Really going out on a limb with that prediction.
GCn18

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 04:42:52 PM »

Absolutely not. Walters wasn't the one who drafted him.

And furthermore, a contract requires two parties to agree. Mulumba's camp seemed to want way more than what Walters was comfortable with and the two sides couldn't agree to a contract. What has Mulumba done to make such demands, anyway?

FACT: Mulumba was available last year and willing to sign a contract
FACT: Walters did not get the deal done

You can't blame Mack for that. If he signs with us, it is not a wasted pick. Had he been an NFL lifer...sure..that would have been a blown pick by Mack. You cannot, however, fault him for when a futures pick is actually available and the current GM cannot come to terms with him. This was absolutely not a blown pick by Mack. The exact scenario that he, and the Bombers hoped for, when they selected him as a futures pick came to pass. He drafted a legit NFL talent, and he became available at a young age to us. We could have signed him and didn't. That's not on Mack. It might not be on Walters either....but people gotta quit calling Mulumba a bad pick by sleepy Joe....it really wasn't.

Jade Etienne otoh....

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 06:44:11 PM »

You can't blame Mack for that. If he signs with us, it is not a wasted pick. Had he been an NFL lifer...sure..that would have been a blown pick by Mack. You cannot, however, fault him for when a futures pick is actually available and the current GM cannot come to terms with him. This was absolutely not a blown pick by Mack. The exact scenario that he, and the Bombers hoped for, when they selected him as a futures pick came to pass. He drafted a legit NFL talent, and he became available at a young age to us. We could have signed him and didn't. That's not on Mack. It might not be on Walters either....but people gotta quit calling Mulumba a bad pick by sleepy Joe....it really wasn't.

Jade Etienne otoh....

He wanted to sign a one-year, pro-rated contract for the remainder of the 2017 season and then be a free agent. That's a pretty ridiculous demand to make.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/04/andy-mulumba-moves-football/

...a tumultuous few months in his dealings with the Bombers: He turned his attention to the CFL after his NFL options had apparently been exhausted last fall, but Mulumba's agent made some disparaging public comments about the CFL in the media and then asked for his client to be traded when he didn't like the team's first contract offer.

That rankled Bombers GM Kyle Walters, who said this when asked about the status of Mulumba at his season-ending media availability last November:

"We've called him for two years and he had zero interest in coming to the CFL. Zero interest. This year they decide that they'll listen, but they only want to come for one year. It really doesn't work like that, truth be told. If you want to come up here for a couple of games this year and be a free agent after next year, here's the offer. This is standard procedure. Do your research, this is the way it works."

Not only were Mulumba's demands apparently unreasonable, his ignorant bozo of an agent had to take shots at the CFL. Walters made a reasonable offer, so I'm curious to learn what more you think Walters could've or should've done to lure a player who had yet to suit up for a practice in this league.

From a talent/skill set standpoint, it wasn't a bad pick. However, Mack should've understood the importance of trying to improve the NAT roster right away, rather than select a futures player as a luxury, especially with a first round selection. The Bombers back in 2013 needed immediate NAT talent and O-line talent like D'Aguilar, Watman, or Steward would've been more helpful.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
sweep the leg

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »

It feels like we've talked about this approx. a million times, but I didn't mind the pick at the time. If Green Bay wasn't hit with a string of injuries in that tc, Mulumba likely would have been a Bomber. That's just how she goes.

It seems like a stretch to throw blame at Walters though...

rubanski

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 12:13:36 PM »

FACT: WRONG

I'd sign a contract to play for the BB for $1,000,000 a year, Walters just won't get the deal done.

Walters was protecting the team by not signing an unknown quantity to ridiculous contract demands.
rubanski

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »

Calgary is a very good drafting team. Purely my speculation, but I imagine they might have taken Loffler if Singleton was off the board. Or maybe another team would have if Calgary took "their" pick.
GCn18

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 01:57:27 PM »

FACT: WRONG

I'd sign a contract to play for the BB for $1,000,000 a year, Walters just won't get the deal done.

Walters was protecting the team by not signing an unknown quantity to ridiculous contract demands.

He may very well have done the right thing, we'll never know, but at the end of the day it's his job to negotiate contracts with players and get them under contract. Some failures to do so may be entirely his fault, or completely none of his fault, but at the end of the day as a GM you wear the final result just the same. It's not fair but it's life.

Walter could have signed him and chose not too. End of story. Doesn't matter why.

I'm not blaming Walters for walking away from Mulumba, I'm just saying that blaming Mack for him not playing a down in Winnipeg is completely false narrative. Mulumba was available last year, Walters walked away from him. Don't care why...it's irrelevant. He had his opportunity to sign him. It didn't work out. That's not on Mack.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:59:51 PM by GCn17 » Logged

GCn18

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »

He wanted to sign a one-year, pro-rated contract for the remainder of the 2017 season and then be a free agent. That's a pretty ridiculous demand to make.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/04/andy-mulumba-moves-football/

Not only were Mulumba's demands apparently unreasonable, his ignorant bozo of an agent had to take shots at the CFL. Walters made a reasonable offer, so I'm curious to learn what more you think Walters could've or should've done to lure a player who had yet to suit up for a practice in this league.

From a talent/skill set standpoint, it wasn't a bad pick. However, Mack should've understood the importance of trying to improve the NAT roster right away, rather than select a futures player as a luxury, especially with a first round selection. The Bombers back in 2013 needed immediate NAT talent and O-line talent like D'Aguilar, Watman, or Steward would've been more helpful.

I totally agree. However, that doesn't make Mulumba a blown pick by Mack. It boils down to is a failure to come to terms with a very good player. You can't blame Mack for that. You can't blame Walters either. It just is what it is. Hindsight is 20/20. I'd love to be able to go back in time and change Mack or Walters minds on some the massive eggs they've laid with high picks. However, at the time, based on the knowledge of the day the picks seemed reasonable and most of us praised them.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:07:11 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: