Blue Bombers Forum
September 24, 2018, 09:40:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: No Muamba or Mulumba  (Read 9703 times)
Pigskin

« on: March 23, 2018, 01:41:35 PM »

Two Canadians that could have made a difference for this team. Would have been nice to land one of them.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »

Muamba would've been a difference maker on defense, IMO. And he's got a proven track record in the CFL.

Mulumba was just a terrible decision by Sleepy Joe, though. Jury's out on whether or not he'd have been a difference maker in the CFL.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »

Muamba would've been a difference maker on defense, IMO. And he's got a proven track record in the CFL.

Mulumba was just a terrible decision by Sleepy Joe, though. Jury's out on whether or not he'd have been a difference maker in the CFL.

From Walters full interview you get a sense of the depth they look into a player's character and how important locker-room culture is to this organization, just wasn't the case in the past when they focused more on the measurables and little on a player's motivation points.
bunker

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »

So Bilukidi, Mulumba, Muamba....
Next up: Geoff Gray
gbill2004

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »

So Bilukidi, Mulumba, Muamba....
Next up: Geoff Gray
I think the longer he's in the NFL, the less likely he plays in the CFL. 
Pigskin

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 04:26:17 PM »

I think Gray will be back either after labor day, or TC next year.
the paw

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 04:43:59 PM »

That's a bit of revisionist history/hindsight IMHO.  Mulumba was a highly regarded prospect in the CFL draft that year, but was seen as a long shot to stick in the NFL, certainly much less likely than Sewell, Gaydosh and others who were seen as having a decent chance.  Pretty much everyone thought he would get a free agent signing to a mini-camp and probably be available to the CFL by the start of the season, with a small chance that it might take a year for him to exhaust possibilities.  The dude just exceeded expectations.   

I guess you can call the Mulumba pick a bust if you want, but Sewell, Gaydosh and Craighead were all picked in the first round that year, and none of them has amounted to much.  It's just the uncertainty of drafts....

And although Mulumba only rostered for 3 seasons in the NFL, he appeared in 22 games, started 3, and logged 35 tackles.  By comparison, Westerman appeared in 58 games over 5 seasons, started 3 , and logged 62 tackles.   So Mulumba's per game productivity is very similar, maybe a little better.  He may not have been the difference maker in the CFL that Westerman has been, but all the evidence suggests he would have performed at a very high level. 

grab grass 'n growl
gbill2004

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 04:55:21 PM »

The pick the bothers me the most of Garrett Waggoner.  If we didn't take him, we would have drafted Alex Singleton instead the following year. Walters wanted him. 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »

That's a bit of revisionist history/hindsight IMHO.  Mulumba was a highly regarded prospect in the CFL draft that year, but was seen as a long shot to stick in the NFL, certainly much less likely than Sewell, Gaydosh and others who were seen as having a decent chance.  Pretty much everyone thought he would get a free agent signing to a mini-camp and probably be available to the CFL by the start of the season, with a small chance that it might take a year for him to exhaust possibilities.  The dude just exceeded expectations.   

I guess you can call the Mulumba pick a bust if you want, but Sewell, Gaydosh and Craighead were all picked in the first round that year, and none of them has amounted to much.  It's just the uncertainty of drafts....

And although Mulumba only rostered for 3 seasons in the NFL, he appeared in 22 games, started 3, and logged 35 tackles.  By comparison, Westerman appeared in 58 games over 5 seasons, started 3 , and logged 62 tackles.   So Mulumba's per game productivity is very similar, maybe a little better.  He may not have been the difference maker in the CFL that Westerman has been, but all the evidence suggests he would have performed at a very high level. 

It isn't revisionist history. He should've taken an O-lineman, IMO. D'Aguilar, Watman, or Steward could've been upgrades to what was mostly a pitiful O-line during Sleepy Joe's tenure.

Mack's history in CFL drafts speaks for itself and 2013 was perhaps his worst year. Not one selection amounted to anything in the CFL.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
the paw

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 05:21:56 PM »

It isn't revisionist history. He should've taken an O-lineman, IMO. D'Aguilar, Watman, or Steward could've been upgrades to what was mostly a pitiful O-line during Sleepy Joe's tenure.

Mack's history in CFL drafts speaks for itself and 2013 was perhaps his worst year. Not one selection amounted to anything in the CFL.

Well, I agree that the 2013 draft was a bit of a travesty, I'm just saying that Muluamba was probably the most defensible of those picks.  He wasn't off the board on that one.

The pick from that year that galled me was Kris Robertson, who was a "sleeper" from one of the regional combines and never amounted to anything more than a fast 40 time 2 week in a row....

grab grass 'n growl
buckzumhoff

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »

I think someone else other than Walters should pick and he doesn't get input. Every no.1 he chooses moves on to another team.
theaardvark

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »

I think someone else other than Walters should pick and he doesn't get input. Every no.1 he chooses moves on to another team.

Do you mean Mack?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
PurpleReign

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 02:23:24 AM »

I think Gray will be back either after labor day, or TC next year.

I highly doubt that. 
GCn18

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 11:34:54 AM »

I agree that Waggoner turned out to be a colossal bust for what we gave up to get him. Walters is as much to blame for Mulumba being a bust as Mack is. Why? Because last year Mulumba became available and Walters could not close on a contract with him. That's on Walters....not on Mack.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
rubanski

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 12:05:14 PM »

Re Waggoner, it's tough. This team's CDN content was putrid at the time, and Walters spent a future pick on trying to shore it up.

Who knew he'd be more interested in selling health food products than working out and being a football player.

I know Walters wanted it him, but it's not a slam dunk we would have gotten Singleton, and even if we did, we likely wouldn't have Loffler then.

I'm more disappointed in supplemental K Pooblah...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: