Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2018, 08:27:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Offensive Coaching Staff Visit to Purdue  (Read 565 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« on: March 10, 2018, 04:08:01 AM »

Offensive Coaching Staff Visit to Purdue - Ed Tait

They arrived with their eyes and ears wide open, ready to soak up every nugget of information ranging from the most complicated concept to the simplest, most basic of ideas.

And after spending a day with the Purdue Boilermakers coaching staff in West Lafayette, Indiana this week, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive coaching staff left as energized as ever to apply some newfound principles to what they do daily here.

The idea behind all this is simple: as the old saying goes, 'If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.'

"This is our professional development," began Bombers offensive coordinator Paul LaPolice in a chat with bluebombers.com. "We go to try and get new ideas or new plays, a new way to teach. It was all about what we could learn from them."

The head coach of the Boilermakers is Jeff Brohm, with former Bombers quarterback Brian Brohm now Purdue's co-offensive coordinator. Bombers QB coach Buck Pierce reached out to Brian - a former teammate - and got the thumbs up for Winnipeg's offensive staff, also including offensive line coach Marty Costello and running backs coach Kevin Bourgoin, to sit in on some of their coaching sessions.

Jeff Brohm just completed his first year at Purdue, where the Boilermakers averaged 25.2 points per game. Prior to that, he was the head coach at Western Kentucky, where the Hilltoppers went 30-10 and averaged a whopping 44.6 points per game over three seasons.

"They're a good offensive team," said LaPolice. "And you would like got to go to a place where somebody knows you. You can go to a place where you don't have any connections and they'll at least let you watch their film, but we were able to sit in their coaches' meetings. They were going over their practice film and so we sat in the back and just listened and took notes.

"In the afternoon, we sat in on the meetings with the players being coached, too."

The Boilermakers were also holding their Pro Day when the Bombers visited and after taking in the sessions with the entire coaching staff, LaPolice, Pierce, Costello and Bourgoin also sat in on the meetings of the Purdue positional coaches......

Read the entire article at:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/03/09/offensive-coaching-staff-visit-purdue/

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 05:14:22 AM »

Great story....I hope we got some mileage out of their trip....sounds like it was a mutual win for both parties which is very positive....I have a good feeling about our offence this year....

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Tiger

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 04:21:12 AM »

Interesting.  I wonder what principles they learned.  I guess we will find out.

I?m not sure if prospects are at Purdue but watching a pro day is never a bad thing. I just watched the Auburn pro day today.  RB and DB prospects look great but look NFL bound.  Interestingly enough some players placed multiple better times than when they were at the NFL combine.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: