Blue Bombers Forum
June 23, 2018, 07:09:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL voids contract of Euclid Cummings  (Read 3953 times)
the paw

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 07:24:15 PM »

Aren't publication bans also often used when a minor is involved?  

yeah, it is almost certainly child abuse for a publication ban to exist and the league to act so quickly.  Maybe a particularly heinous case of domestic violence, but I would bet the former. 

grab grass 'n growl
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 07:30:26 PM »

Dan Ralph

Verified account

@danralphcp
Follow Follow @danralphcp
More
Have been told Cummings' deal with B.C. was worth $150,000 that included a $70,000 signing bonus which the Lions can't recoup and will have to include on their cap. #CFL

maybe they will be given some special leeway if they go over the cap??
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 07:34:37 PM »

Dunk said earlier that BC was an option, presumably with Muamba at WIL. 

Like I said: not a good fit at WIL. I'll add IMO if that's a better position to take. Also, while you might pay a MLB $200K, I'm also not sure you'd pay a WIL that amount let alone have 2 LB's on the same team making that much.

Without knowing what's going on with Cummings, it's possible he may be re-instated before TC.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 07:36:04 PM »

Dan Ralph

Verified account

@danralphcp
Follow Follow @danralphcp
More
Have been told Cummings' deal with B.C. was worth $150,000 that included a $70,000 signing bonus which the Lions can't recoup and will have to include on their cap. #CFL

maybe they will be given some special leeway if they go over the cap??

Interesting. Since the league voided the contract it would seem reasonable they would take the bonus out of the Lions SMS spend.

No more excuses.
blueraid

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 08:01:44 PM »

As far as Muamba heading to the west coast...I think Wally and company are keeping the door open for Bighill IF he shakes loose...No way they're going to commit to Muamba with that possibility still out there
rubanski

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »

Interesting. Since the league voided the contract it would seem reasonable they would take the bonus out of the Lions SMS spend.

Why? If the league voided his contract 2 weeks in to the year because he was charged with abusing children, those two weeks would count against the lions cap. The lions chose to structure the deal the way they did. This is one of several risks with paying these bonuses out.

bluengold204

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 08:52:44 PM »

Why? If the league voided his contract 2 weeks in to the year because he was charged with abusing children, those two weeks would count against the lions cap. The lions chose to structure the deal the way they did. This is one of several risks with paying these bonuses out.

Can we not accuse him of being a child abuser until the facts are in?
Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »

Because the Lions had no way to know the league would void the contract.  The league must approve all contracts in the 1st place.

No more excuses.
rubanski

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 09:05:12 PM »

Can we not accuse him of being a child abuser until the facts are in?

My apologies if that choice of words offends.

I did not accuse him of that. It's reasonable to assume he did something fairly heinous to warrant a publication ban.

rubanski

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 09:08:26 PM »

Because the Lions had no way to know the league would void the contract.  The league must approve all contracts in the 1st place.

If you can't make him pay the money back, it's money that was spent on players and should count against the cap. The cap represents the limit the Lions are allowed to spend on players.
gobombersgo

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 09:09:22 PM »

So do the Lions try to get their signing bonus back as Cummings didn't negotiate in good faith. Or is it buyer beware?

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 09:11:36 PM »

So do the Lions try to get their signing bonus back as Cummings didn't negotiate in good faith. Or is it buyer beware?

There was a source somewhere on Twitter that seemed to suggest the Lions were on the hook for the 70K bonus. Not sure how accurate that is though.
booch

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »

You can actually request to the court to have a publication ban...even if it is a petty offence...so not necessarily his charge is a heinous one...but could be
lenny

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 09:40:04 PM »

Aren't publication bans also often used when a minor is involved?  

Has nothing to do with publication of the fact of the charge. Merely protects the complainant from being named.
gbill2004

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 09:47:18 PM »

Has nothing to do with publication of the fact of the charge. Merely protects the complainant from being named.
Yes I understand that. But they are typically used when a minor is involved.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: