Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 08:06:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Pizza. Burgers and other Culinary Delights!  (Read 12127 times)
GCn18

« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2018, 10:29:07 AM »

For many locals up here Toms pizza is just as good as Santa Maria's......

Should be...it's the same recipe.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Chris1982
« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2018, 10:35:27 AM »

Anybody ever eat at the Marion Street Eatery....?

I have never eaten there, but I seen it on that show "You Gotta Eat Here". 

Here is a clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2tXAtaAkp0
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2018, 12:15:17 PM »

Anybody ever eat at the Marion Street Eatery....?

Been there dozens of times. It's excellent. I have never been for breakfast/brunch but I've heard nothing but good. Dishes I'd recommend are the steak bites, the onion soup, the bison chili, the stuffed meatloaf, the chicken pot pie, and the Cuban sandwich. They also make a mean Caesar.

Grin

529 Wellington - steaks and Prime Rib are some of if not the best in the City...pricey though

Keg - very good Prime Rib

Rae and Jerry's - very good Prime Rib - love their horseradish (and that is one of the best parts of Prime Rib IMO)

I am sure there are others...

Rae and Jerry's gets my vote. The Round Table is no longer around but the prime rib there was really good (the horseradish and the Yorkshire pudding were outstanding). I haven't been but I've heard good things about the prime rib at The Met and at Bailey's.

Surprised that no one has brought up the topic of the best "sushi" yet.  Seems to be what everyone is eating nowadays.

Since Edo Hei shut down back in 2012, the only places I've enjoyed for sushi are Asoyama, Edoichi, and Yuu Izakaya (also pretty good ramen there). Edo Hei was hands down the best by far, though. Ono-san's talents were (and I'm sure still are) second to none.

Ugh, I miss it so much. Cry

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »

Blue Fin is the best sushi in Winnipeg IMO...special occasion though as it can get pricey.

Marion Street Eatery is great...
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2018, 12:43:07 PM »

Blue Fin is the best sushi in Winnipeg IMO...special occasion though as it can get pricey.

Marion Street Eatery is great...

Never heard of this place before. Where is it?

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2018, 12:46:10 PM »

Never heard of this place before. Where is it?

sorry my mistake - BlueFish not Bluefin....i just know where to go - not the name of the place.. Smiley

its in the exchange

http://www.blufish.ca/
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »

sorry my mistake - BlueFish not Bluefin....i just know where to go - not the name of the place.. Smiley

its in the exchange

http://www.blufish.ca/

I know that place and have eaten there a few times. It's very good but can get awfully expensive - the tuna carpaccio is deadly.

I find it's more fusion cuisine than authentic (or traditional) Japanese, though.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »

I know that place and have eaten there a few times. It's very good but can get awfully expensive - the tuna carpaccio is deadly.

I find it's more fusion cuisine than authentic (or traditional) Japanese, though.

yah...that tuna soooo good.  You are right though it is pricey..

For "everyday" sushi we liked Utage on Regent - they changed the name to Yuu Izakaya - haven't been there since the change
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »

yah...that tuna soooo good.  You are right though it is pricey..

For "everyday" sushi we liked Utage on Regent - they changed the name to Yuu Izakaya - haven't been there since the change

It's really good and the price point is solid. I had never been there when it was Utage, though.

It's on Skip so I order from there pretty often whenever I'm craving sushi and/or ramen. Grin

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2018, 03:58:06 PM »

Sushi?  So 5 years ago... Sushi hasn't been the "in" food in a while... since it was in, we've been through BBQ, Indian and now back to Gourmet Burgers...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:49:03 PM by theaardvark » Logged

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Stretch

« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2018, 04:51:55 PM »

Sudhi?  So 5 years ago... Sushi hasn't been the "in" food in a while... since it was in, we've been through BBQ, Indian and now back to Gourmet Burgers...

You forgot hot chocolate.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2018, 09:05:11 PM »

Should be...it's the same recipe.

Same recipe how ?.....the sauce recipe ?....even if the sauces from the pizza places was originally created by the same person, they no longer taste exactly the same. Plus the toppings are slightly different giving the two pizza places their own distinct pizza experience....

.....but this is all irrelevant to me right now, right now I am getting ready to go find the Marion Eatery for some supper......and to keep trying to think what pizza place I will be trying while I am in the city 😃
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:08:03 PM by NorthernSkunk » Logged
gbill2004

« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »

I went to Red Top last night.  Their burgers are still amazing and the portions are HUGE...I took half of it home for lunch today.  They have a new "healthy" burger in honour of their son who recently passed away...it's two burger patties, an egg, with two pieces of lettuce as the buns.  I didn't try it, but it looked interesting. 
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2018, 07:14:58 PM »

I just got back from having breakfast at the red top.....all day breakfasts are a good idea. And yeh there was some huge plates of food coming outta the kitchen....real friendly staff as well..
GCn18

« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2018, 06:05:58 PM »

Same recipe how ?.....the sauce recipe ?....even if the sauces from the pizza places was originally created by the same person, they no longer taste exactly the same. Plus the toppings are slightly different giving the two pizza places their own distinct pizza experience....

.....but this is all irrelevant to me right now, right now I am getting ready to go find the Marion Eatery for some supper......and to keep trying to think what pizza place I will be trying while I am in the city 😃

The owner of Tom's and Bobby, the owner of Santa Maria's were business partners for many years and opened up Santa Maria's together. Tom and Bobby had a falling out and Tom opened up a Greek restaurant that he ran for many years before he built the current Tom's and gave up the Greek fare.
Tom and Bobby use the same recipe for the sauce and it's possible that they source toppings differently now....but the crust and sauce are the same. At Santa Maria's they just put a light brushing of garlic butter on the crust prior to adding the sauce. They build there pizzas in the same manner otherwise with the same huge amounts of toppings.
I give the nod to Santa Maria...but Tom's is pretty much it's equal. Both, I would dare say, are better than anything I have ever tried in Winnipeg.
A lot of people in Thompson's preference for Tom's is partly because Santa Maria is such a dive imo. Both have great pizza.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
  Print  

Jump to: