Blue Bombers Forum
September 21, 2018, 01:53:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: For those who critized a suggestion to approach Orlondo Steinauer as our DC  (Read 3667 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »

No we will probably never know, but I base my response from my conversation directly with MOS about hiring Steinauer and he said, "He probably is very satisfied in being in the NCAA". So that tells me he had no intention of approaching Steinauer about coming to Wpg as a DC or AHC as he felt Steinauer was happy being in the NCAA. But, I guess not. Unless someone from the Bombers comes out and says they approached Steinauer and he declined, then we will never know for sure. I don't appreciate you implying that I immediately became negative as you clearly did not have the information that I just indicated which is why my post reflects my skepticism about the Bombers even approaching Steinauer. I don't have to wait for MOS or Walters to come out before I post my opinion on this forum, you maybe a Mod but that is what this forum is, a vehicle for people to express their opinions, even those you disagree with.

Hey if you have info from a direct conversation with MOS about the topic then you have more info than me...implying as you did that this was a "missed opportunity" is a negative slant...it may have been no opportunity and nothing missed.

I was only presenting another potential side of the discussion - that the Bombers tried and couldn't make it work - as I stated above personally I think that this is a path to a HC job that likely is much longer in Winnipeg than Hamilton.
Horseman

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 06:57:23 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were never in the market for a new DC. Not sure why we are getting criticized for not approaching Steinhauer about a job that was never open. Criticize the Bombers, if you wish, about their decision to keep Hall but you can't criticize them for not approaching Steinhauer. That makes zero sense.

I criticize them for both decisions, everyone knows our defence was the worst in the CFL, and not firing Hall will probably cost again this year. If you approached Steinauer about taking over as the DC/AHC or keeping Hall, who would you choose?
GCn18

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »

No we will probably never know, but I base my response from my conversation directly with MOS about hiring Steinauer and he said, "He probably is very satisfied in being in the NCAA". So that tells me he had no intention of approaching Steinauer about coming to Wpg as a DC or AHC as he felt Steinauer was happy being in the NCAA. But, I guess not. Unless someone from the Bombers comes out and says they approached Steinauer and he declined, then we will never know for sure. I don't appreciate you implying that I immediately became negative as you clearly did not have the information that I just indicated which is why my post reflects my skepticism about the Bombers even approaching Steinauer. I don't have to wait for MOS or Walters to come out before I post my opinion on this forum, you maybe a Mod but that is what this forum is, a vehicle for people to express their opinions, even those you disagree with.

Again, why would we approach him if there was no job available? Fire Hall and don't approach Steinhauer you've got a valid point....but we never fired Hall...therefore, no reason to approach Steinhauer.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Jesse

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »

I know it's the mods job around here to protect Bomber management, but you're speculating just as much as Horseman is. 

That's why he said, "may", and  "We don't know".
gbill2004

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »

That's why he said, "may", and  "We don't know".
Yes, but he was criticizing Horseman for speculating. 
GCn18

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 07:00:04 PM »

I criticize them for both decisions, everyone knows our defence was the worst in the CFL, and not firing Hall will probably cost again this year. If you approached Steinauer about taking over as the DC/AHC or keeping Hall, who would you choose?

Based on what I know, Steinhauer. However, I don't have the same information that MOS and Walters do so it would just be an opinion based on watching some football on TV.

Jesse

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »

For my part, and I was one of those saying approaching Steinauer was ridiculous, I am shocked.

I have no idea about what he was offered to come back or what his situation was at Fresno State, but the optics of this are he left a successful NCAA program - where opportunities are limitless - to a CFL position that cannot compete with dollars.

But yes, whether you agree with the Bombers or not, we weren't looking for a DC.
bunker

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »

Or maybe you should consider that he is going to take over the team in 2019 as Jones is old as dirt and may move to a more Administrative role...

The only way Orlando was coming up hee from that gig was for a Head Coach gig...or the agreement to be AHC and take over within a year or two

Oshea and Walter's didn't have that carrot to dangle

This was my immediate thought (speculation) also.
GCn18

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »

Yes, but he was criticizing Horseman for speculating. 

Was he really? I don't think he was. I think he was reacting to the suggestion that the Bombers were asleep at the wheel and that we missed a big opportunity.

Horseman

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 07:02:14 PM »

Very interesting re. your convo with O'Shea.  My guess is O'Shea never even got past the point of trying to fix the D and make it work with Richie Hall.  

Yes, I also said to MOS, so we will be stuck with Ritchie Hall again and MOS replied, "I hope so".
GCn18

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »

Yes, I also said to MOS, so we will be stuck with Ritchie Hall again and MOS replied, "I hope so".

There you go. MOS is going to live and die with Hall. Criticize that if you want but you can't say not contacting Steinhauer is a mistake. You say both decisions are bad. No they're not, because one decision didn't exist.

theaardvark

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 07:08:39 PM »

Or Young gave Austin a blank cheque and Jones was someone Stenihauer wanted to come work with, knowing Jones may not be in the league long...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue72

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 07:09:03 PM »

By offering Steinauer an AHC/DC job and a chance to work with MOS might have worked BUT what would Lapo have said about it. As of right now we don't have an assist. HC so maybe Lapo was hoping that they would give that title to him to keep him around longer.

If things don't work out with Hall this year what else could we offer Steinauer to get him here next year other then a HC spot? Maybe assist GM because coaches can't move to another team unless its an up grade to what they have or there contract is done.

But anything could happen between this year and next if we don't make the playoffs or our other coaches move on. Are most coaches just a 1 year contract?
GCn18

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »

Can't believe Steinhauer moved on from the NCAA....but I'm pretty sure there are only a couple CFL teams he would have went to without a HC title.

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »

I predicted Hamilton will be representing the East in the GC....this signing makes them a better team imho!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: