Blue Bombers Forum
December 11, 2018, 04:53:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: For those who critized a suggestion to approach Orlondo Steinauer as our DC  (Read 4455 times)
Horseman

« on: February 22, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »

Hamilton wasn't afraid to ask and...The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Thursday that Steinauer will be their assistant head coach in 2018, returning to the club after a one-year stint as the Fresno State Bulldogs? defensive coordinator.
gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:24:24 PM »

Yep, I said in the other thread that this is shocking, considering the success he was having down south.  He was my number one target to replace Hall as our DC.  Too bad the Bombers couldn't pull this one off...
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »

Maybe we offered DC and he didn't want it??  Maybe we offered AHC and he didn't want it?  Maybe something happened at Fresno that changed his mind?

Lots can go into this...good for the CFL.
Horseman

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »

This is a huge missed opportunity for the Big Blue.
gbill2004

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »

Maybe we offered DC and he didn't want it??  Maybe we offered AHC and he didn't want it?  Maybe something happened at Fresno that changed his mind?

Or maybe O'Shea didn't even attempt to contact Orlondo.  Yes, lots of possible scenarios...
Horseman

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:32:31 PM »

Maybe he doesn't like his former team mate MOS, or just maybe no one from the Bombers even approached him thinking that there would be no way he would come back to the CFL. In any case the lesson learned is to ask the question and not be afraid of the answer.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 06:37:02 PM »

Maybe he doesn't like his former team mate MOS, or just maybe no one from the Bombers even approached him thinking that there would be no way he would come back to the CFL. In any case the lesson learned is to ask the question and not be afraid of the answer.

There may be no lesson at all to be learned...we don't know that we didn't ask - not sure why you have to go to the negative immediately.  When MOS or Walters comes out and says that they had no interest in him then you can certainly present this as a potential issue...You can't force someone to come here either - Orlondo maybe loves it in Hamilton, maybe he sees the path to a HC is much shorter there.
gbill2004

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 06:38:56 PM »

There may be no lesson at all to be learned...we don't know that we didn't ask - not sure why you have to go to the negative immediately.  When MOS or Walters comes out and says that they had no interest in him then you can certainly present this as a potential issue...You can't force someone to come here either - Orlondo maybe loves it in Hamilton, maybe he sees the path to a HC is much shorter there.
I know it's the mods job around here to protect Bomber management, but you're speculating just as much as Horseman is. 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 06:39:13 PM »

Or it could simply be a matter of landing HC job up here more easily by taking a AHC role in a familiar environment than by taking a DC position in a far less familiar one.

We can speculate on however many scenarios we'd like but the fact is nobody here knows what happened behind closed doors or privately between individuals.

I don't think it's reasonable to suggest the Bombers missed an opportunity or learned a lesson based on this announcement, much less justified.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
booch

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 06:39:42 PM »

Or maybe you should consider that he is going to take over the team in 2019 as Jones is old as dirt and may move to a more Administrative role...

The only way Orlando was coming up hee from that gig was for a Head Coach gig...or the agreement to be AHC and take over within a year or two

Oshea and Walter's didn't have that carrot to dangle
gbill2004

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 06:40:28 PM »

Or maybe you should consider that he is going to take over the team in 2019 as Jones is old as dirt and may move to a more Administrative role...

The only way Orlando was coming up hee from that gig was for a Head Coach gig...or the agreement to be AHC and take over within a year or two

That's possible, but still speculation...
Horseman

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »

No we will probably never know, but I base my response from my conversation directly with MOS about hiring Steinauer and he said, "He probably is very satisfied in being in the NCAA". So that tells me he had no intention of approaching Steinauer about coming to Wpg as a DC or AHC as he felt Steinauer was happy being in the NCAA. But, I guess not. Unless someone from the Bombers comes out and says they approached Steinauer and he declined, then we will never know for sure. I don't appreciate you implying that I immediately became negative as you clearly did not have the information that I just indicated which is why my post reflects my skepticism about the Bombers even approaching Steinauer. I don't have to wait for MOS or Walters to come out before I post my opinion on this forum, you maybe a Mod but that is what this forum is, a vehicle for people to express their opinions, even those you disagree with.
rubanski

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »

Shocking. And seems very strange he would come back to the CFL. Never thought it would happen.
GCn18

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were never in the market for a new DC. Not sure why we are getting criticized for not approaching Steinhauer about a job that was never open. Criticize the Bombers, if you wish, about their decision to keep Hall but you can't criticize them for not approaching Steinhauer. That makes zero sense.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
gbill2004

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »

No we will probably never know, but I base my response from my conversation directly with MOS about hiring Steinauer and he said, "He probably is very satisfied in being in the NCAA". So that tells me he had no intention of approaching Steinauer about coming to Wpg as a DC or AHC as he felt Steinauer was happy being in the NCAA. But, I guess not. Unless someone from the Bombers comes out and says they approached Steinauer and he declined, then we will never know for sure. I don't appreciate you implying that I immediately became negative as you clearly did not have the information that I just indicated which is why my post reflects my skepticism about the Bombers even approaching Steinauer. I don't have to wait for MOS or Walters to come out before I post my opinion on this forum, you maybe a Mod but that is what this forum is, a vehicle for people to express their opinions, even those you disagree with.
Very interesting re. your convo with O'Shea.  My guess is O'Shea never even got past the point of trying to fix the D and make it work with Richie Hall.  
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »

Hey if you have info from a direct conversation with MOS about the topic then you have more info than me...implying as you did that this was a "missed opportunity" is a negative slant...it may have been no opportunity and nothing missed.

I was only presenting another potential side of the discussion - that the Bombers tried and couldn't make it work - as I stated above personally I think that this is a path to a HC job that likely is much longer in Winnipeg than Hamilton.
Horseman

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 06:57:23 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were never in the market for a new DC. Not sure why we are getting criticized for not approaching Steinhauer about a job that was never open. Criticize the Bombers, if you wish, about their decision to keep Hall but you can't criticize them for not approaching Steinhauer. That makes zero sense.

I criticize them for both decisions, everyone knows our defence was the worst in the CFL, and not firing Hall will probably cost again this year. If you approached Steinauer about taking over as the DC/AHC or keeping Hall, who would you choose?
GCn18

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »

Again, why would we approach him if there was no job available? Fire Hall and don't approach Steinhauer you've got a valid point....but we never fired Hall...therefore, no reason to approach Steinhauer.

Jesse

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »

I know it's the mods job around here to protect Bomber management, but you're speculating just as much as Horseman is. 

That's why he said, "may", and  "We don't know".

My wife is amazing!
gbill2004

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »

That's why he said, "may", and  "We don't know".
Yes, but he was criticizing Horseman for speculating. 
GCn18

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 07:00:04 PM »

I criticize them for both decisions, everyone knows our defence was the worst in the CFL, and not firing Hall will probably cost again this year. If you approached Steinauer about taking over as the DC/AHC or keeping Hall, who would you choose?

Based on what I know, Steinhauer. However, I don't have the same information that MOS and Walters do so it would just be an opinion based on watching some football on TV.

Jesse

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »

For my part, and I was one of those saying approaching Steinauer was ridiculous, I am shocked.

I have no idea about what he was offered to come back or what his situation was at Fresno State, but the optics of this are he left a successful NCAA program - where opportunities are limitless - to a CFL position that cannot compete with dollars.

But yes, whether you agree with the Bombers or not, we weren't looking for a DC.

My wife is amazing!
bunker

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »

This was my immediate thought (speculation) also.
GCn18

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »

Yes, but he was criticizing Horseman for speculating. 

Was he really? I don't think he was. I think he was reacting to the suggestion that the Bombers were asleep at the wheel and that we missed a big opportunity.

Horseman

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 07:02:14 PM »

Very interesting re. your convo with O'Shea.  My guess is O'Shea never even got past the point of trying to fix the D and make it work with Richie Hall.  

Yes, I also said to MOS, so we will be stuck with Ritchie Hall again and MOS replied, "I hope so".
GCn18

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »

Yes, I also said to MOS, so we will be stuck with Ritchie Hall again and MOS replied, "I hope so".

There you go. MOS is going to live and die with Hall. Criticize that if you want but you can't say not contacting Steinhauer is a mistake. You say both decisions are bad. No they're not, because one decision didn't exist.

theaardvark

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 07:08:39 PM »

Or Young gave Austin a blank cheque and Jones was someone Stenihauer wanted to come work with, knowing Jones may not be in the league long...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue72

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 07:09:03 PM »

By offering Steinauer an AHC/DC job and a chance to work with MOS might have worked BUT what would Lapo have said about it. As of right now we don't have an assist. HC so maybe Lapo was hoping that they would give that title to him to keep him around longer.

If things don't work out with Hall this year what else could we offer Steinauer to get him here next year other then a HC spot? Maybe assist GM because coaches can't move to another team unless its an up grade to what they have or there contract is done.

But anything could happen between this year and next if we don't make the playoffs or our other coaches move on. Are most coaches just a 1 year contract?
GCn18

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »

Can't believe Steinhauer moved on from the NCAA....but I'm pretty sure there are only a couple CFL teams he would have went to without a HC title.

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »

I predicted Hamilton will be representing the East in the GC....this signing makes them a better team imho!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Duckman118

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:49 PM »

By offering Steinauer an AHC/DC job and a chance to work with MOS might have worked BUT what would Lapo have said about it. As of right now we don't have an assist. HC so maybe Lapo was hoping that they would give that title to him to keep him around longer.

If things don't work out with Hall this year what else could we offer Steinauer to get him here next year other then a HC spot? Maybe assist GM because coaches can't move to another team unless its an up grade to what they have or there contract is done.

But anything could happen between this year and next if we don't make the playoffs or our other coaches move on. Are most coaches just a 1 year contract?
Lapo is currently our Asst hc

"There is a conviction,
when you believe above,
absence leaks from inside,
and brings you back to life again,
I fear an emptiness,
so I just seek the truth,
then I just find myself,
coming back to you."

-Texas In July
GCn18

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 07:16:20 PM »

I predicted Hamilton will be representing the East in the GC....this signing makes them a better team imho!

Toronto looks pretty good too.

gbill2004

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 07:22:10 PM »

Lapo is currently our Asst hc
No he's not. 

https://www.bluebombers.com/football-operations/ 
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 07:38:38 PM »

Toronto looks pretty good too.
well yes and if Ray can stay healthy they have a strong nucleus....Hamilton came on strong last season and towards the end of the season and seem to be putting the righ pieces together

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
BlueInCgy

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 07:57:00 PM »

East isn't going to be the stinker it was last year.  Well, except for the Als. 
gbill2004

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 07:58:03 PM »

Yep, right now I see the East like this:

Hamilton
Toronto
Ottawa
Montreal
BlueInCgy

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 08:04:32 PM »

Hamilton
Toronto
Ottawa
Schooners (Yeah, I know, Ambroisie's announcement isn't until the Town Hall in Halifax tomorrow, but even a team that won't exist for at least three more seasons is still better than the Als).
Montreal

I suspect it will be close between Toronto and Hamilton.  I would also suspect Ottawa becomes victim of the crossover, not necessarily based on a bad season, but that all 5 teams in the West are better.
Jesse

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 08:05:58 PM »

I?ve heard that before.

My wife is amazing!
Horseman

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 08:12:46 PM »

There you go. MOS is going to live and die with Hall. Criticize that if you want but you can't say not contacting Steinhauer is a mistake. You say both decisions are bad. No they're not, because one decision didn't exist.

The point being MOS appears to not have even considered approaching Steinauer to offer him the DC/AHC position because he thought Steinauer was entrenched in the NCAA. One could argue that if MOS would have considered approaching Steinauer to see what he thought and if Steinauer would have indicated he would be interested then he could have considered firing Hall. If MOS wasn't interested in Steinauer at all and was committed to keeping Hall regardless of who was available, then MOS has made a very poor decision (to try to improve our team) that will lead to another year with no GC. This is all speculation of course, but it is still my opinion that MOS did not approach Steinauer because, like a lot of people, thought Steinauer was committed to the NCAA and would never leave to return to the CFL. Again, if you assume something it only makes an *** of u and me. Never be afraid of approaching someone to enquire of their availability.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:25:06 PM by Horseman » Logged
Horseman

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 08:14:16 PM »

The door to get Steinauer here has closed on the Bombers, hence a missed opportunity.
gbill2004

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 08:22:25 PM »

I suspect it will be close between Toronto and Hamilton.  I would also suspect Ottawa becomes victim of the crossover, not necessarily based on a bad season, but that all 5 teams in the West are better.
I gave the edge to Hamilton because the Argos appear to be losing both of their coordinators.
Horseman

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 08:23:08 PM »

Hamilton
Toronto
Ottawa
Montreal

Good call, I agree with this ranking.
theaardvark

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 09:11:36 PM »

Steinauer and O'Shea played on the Argos for 8 years together, and then coached for the Argo together for 3, pretty sure they know who each other is. 

Conjecturing is just that.  Did MOS call OS and ask if he was interested?  Did OS call MOS?  Do they even like or respect each other, or have a desire to work for/with each other? 

Pretty sure MOS didn't wake up this morning and see OS signing with the Argos and say "Darn, I missed out". 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Horseman

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »

Steinauer and O'Shea played on the Argos for 8 years together, and then coached for the Argo together for 3, pretty sure they know who each other is. 

Conjecturing is just that.  Did MOS call OS and ask if he was interested?  Did OS call MOS?  Do they even like or respect each other, or have a desire to work for/with each other? 

Pretty sure MOS didn't wake up this morning and see OS signing with the Argos and say "Darn, I missed out". 

No, he woke up and said, "I knew I should have asked him". Grin
theaardvark

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »

You also have to take into account Hall was under contract, and replacing him would have meant paying for 2 DC's...

bomb squad

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2018, 09:51:16 PM »

I can't imagine O'Shea being the type to go sneaking around making inquiries behind a coaches back while they're still on his team. Stuff like that can get out too and then really backfire on you. I think you have to make your decision whether you in with your deputies or your not. 
rubanski

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2018, 09:53:03 PM »

I corrected this for you.

Hamilton
Toronto
Ottawa

Montreal
gbill2004

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2018, 11:28:25 PM »

I corrected this for you.

Their D looks not bad. But the offence looks scary. It appears either Drew Willy on Josh Freeman will be their starting QB  Shocked
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2018, 12:22:41 AM »

We have a defensive coach, made some tweaks to our other staff.

Some of these comments are sickening.

Three things:
1. Be positive
2. Have hope
3. Trust the approach our management and coaching are going in

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
kkc60

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2018, 12:49:03 AM »

You also have to take into account Hall was under contract, and replacing him would have meant paying for 2 DC's...
Are you serious? "Oh man, our defence has sucked for the past 2 years under Richie. I'd love to hire one of the brightest young defensive minds, at least CFL-wise, but then I'd still have to pay Hall. Oh well, maybe next year". The things you say to defend or reason with MOS...
kkc60

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2018, 12:50:53 AM »

We have a defensive coach, made some tweaks to our other staff.

Some of these comments are sickening.

Three things:
1. Be positive
2. Have hope
3. Trust the approach our management and coaching are going in
If people being realistic and making assumptions based off of what our D has done the past 2 years makes you sick, maybe stay off the threads for a lil, or don't get so emotionally invested in what some say on an Internet forum
dd

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2018, 01:36:15 AM »

MOS played and co-captained the Argos to a grey cup victory with OS during his playing days and knows him better than anyone . If MOS thought OS would move the club forward and over the hump defensively, he'd be have made a play to get him here, which may have happened, or OS wanted to stay in southern Ontario and decided to sign on with the tabbies. Either way, life goes on
pjrocksmb

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2018, 01:41:46 AM »

If people being realistic and making assumptions based off of what our D has done the past 2 years makes you sick, maybe stay off the threads for a lil, or don't get so emotionally invested in what some say on an Internet forum

pessimism isn't how I role when it comes to the big blue

i will continue my hope and we shall see if Hall and his new merry men can deliver

Tiger

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 02:23:54 AM »

Darn.  That boat has passed

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2018, 07:11:20 AM »

Ritchie Hall is still a good DC if given the right tools... 
Horseman

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2018, 01:16:38 PM »

To improve our team/defence I would take that in a minute.
Horseman

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2018, 01:19:26 PM »

Ritchie Hall is still a good DC if given the right tools... 

Said no one ever!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »

I suspect he would never go west

He never ever has

No worries

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
gbill2004

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »

He never ever has

No worries
Yep, water under the bridge now, but it's nice to dream of what could have been  Grin  Lapo and Steinauer would be powerhouse coaching staff. 
GCn18

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »

He never ever has

No worries

I think it was Hamilton or NCAA. Those were the only options in Steinhauer's head.

dd

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2018, 02:10:37 PM »

I agree. He's used to a metro centre environment, it was never in the cards to come out here
Horseman

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »

I agree. He's used to a metro centre environment, it was never in the cards to come out here

Pure speculation, truth is unless someone asks Steinauer if he considered a move out west, we will never know.
GCn18

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2018, 03:32:43 PM »

Pure speculation, truth is unless someone asks Steinauer if he considered a move out west, we will never know.

Maybe we did ask him and he said no. We literally have no idea what our level of interest/disinterest was in Steinhauer or whether he was spoken to or not. Edwards did mention that Steinhauer's family really wanted to be back in Oakville.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:37:11 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Jesse

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »

I don't think we'll be able to convince you otherwise, and I don't know for sure, but it really seems liek the only reason OS would come back to the league is because of his family. If he wanted to uproot his family, or if he was comfortable being away from them, he would have stayed in the NCAA.

My wife is amazing!
GCn18

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »

I don't think we'll be able to convince you otherwise, and I don't know for sure, but it really seems liek the only reason OS would come back to the league is because of his family. If he wanted to uproot his family, or if he was comfortable being away from them, he would have stayed in the NCAA.

Edwards also stated that he was offered buckets of money, and a clear succession plan to the HCing job. Neither of which we had to offer.

gbill2004

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2018, 04:00:55 PM »

From 3 Down Nation:

Why Orlondo Steinauer is returning to the Ticats (we think)

Orlondo Steinauer is returning to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and that?s good news ? even if it doesn?t make complete sense.

Steinauer, a former Ticat player who won a championship with the team in 1999, was the defensive coordinator for four seasons under head coach Kent Austin starting in 2013, an integral part of the coaching staff that led the club to two straight Grey Cup appearances. He is universally respected around the CFL and was thought to be a leading candidate for a head coaching job in the not-too-distant future.

Then last December, with his Ticats? contract expiring, Steinauer took a job as the defensive coordinator at Fresno State under Jeff Tedford, former head coach of the B.C. Lions. The thought was that Steinauer had essentially jumped career tracks, eschewing the CFL for American college football.

That made sense, given his age (44), his American roots (born in Seattle) and that U.S. college coaches make quite a bit of money, particularly at the highest levels (think millions). After Fresno State had an excellent first season under Tedford and Steinauer, going 10-4 and playing in a bowl game, it looked like he was well on his way.

So what?s changed? Well, Steinauer wasn?t available on Thursday due to travel issues but there are some hints.

In the release from the club, Steinauer alluded to the fact that his family ? he has three daughters, two of whom are still living at home ? has spent ?the vast majority of our lives in Southern Ontario? and that the move ?aligned with my personal and professional priorities.?

Living in Canada again may have been appealing, especially given that his kids were born and raised in Oakville. Professionally? well, so much of that will depend on what happens next but it raises some interesting questions.

Steinauer?s title is officially ?assistant head coach,? a designation that, most notably, does not include his former title as defensive coordinator. The Ticats haven?t announced their staff but there are persistent rumours that the role will be filled by Jerry Glanville, a confidant of head coach June Jones dating back to their NFL days. Glanville is 76, however, with no previous CFL experience and Steinauer could be vital in filling in the gaps.

But Jones is also 65-years-old and though he said when he signed his contract extension in December that it included a three-year term, one gets the sense that both he and the Ticats see this as a year-to-year thing. Grooming Steinauer, with whom he does not have a previous coaching relationship, as a successor may have just become part of the deal.

Both Jones and Steinauer would have to be comfortable with the arrangement and the Cats would be crazy to do it otherwise. Jones has played mentor before ? ask Jeff Reinebold ? and Steinauer will get a Masters class in offensive football from one of the game?s pioneers.

There were already a lot of cooks in the Ticats? kitchen: Austin as vice-president of football operations, general manager Eric Tillman, a head coach with considerable clout in Jones and, as always, president Scott Mitchell ? who almost certainly played a role in Thursday?s move. Where, exactly, Steinauer fits in all of this remains to be seen but the players don?t seem to care: several Ticats? social media feeds were downright giddy after the announcement.

While there?s still some unanswered questions about Steinauer?s motivations, role and future, this much is for sure: it?s hard to go wrong adding a young, supremely-talented coach who is beloved by the players. And the Ticats have done just that.

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/22/orlondo-steinauer-returning-ticats-think/
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2018, 04:03:37 PM »

I find it funny when posters say they are just speculating when their posts get trashed.........yet some of them can't stand it when others speculate about the team.

Maybe the team asked OS if he wanted a job, maybe they didn't. And Hall has won it all has he not (?)....so with the right tools he has done well. What a wasted read this 5 pages was this morning...
GCn18

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2018, 04:24:27 PM »

I find it funny when posters say they are just speculating when their posts get trashed.........yet some of them can't stand it when others speculate about the team.

Maybe the team asked OS if he wanted a job, maybe they didn't. And Hall has won it all has he not (?)....so with the right tools he has done well. What a wasted read this 5 pages was this morning...

Thanks we try our best to ruin your morning.  Grin

NorthernSkunk

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2018, 04:25:34 PM »

Thanks we try our best to ruin your morning.  Grin

Lol...
pjrocksmb

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2018, 05:57:53 PM »

To improve our team/defence I would take that in a minute.

this makes zero "cents"

pjrocksmb

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2018, 05:58:50 PM »

Said no one ever!

yeah those grey cups were a complete fluke and any success he has had in a career is just random and lucky  Huh Roll Eyes

Horseman

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2018, 06:10:59 PM »

this makes zero "cents"

No, it makes perfect sense...if by having to pay Hall for 1 year by replacing him with an upgrade at DC it is worth it.
Horseman

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »

yeah those grey cups were a complete fluke and any success he has had in a career is just random and lucky  Huh Roll Eyes

Since Hall has been with the Bombers, our defence = garbage.
kkc60

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2018, 06:35:51 PM »

Because regression apprentley doesnt exist Roll Eyes Jeff Fisher and Jim Caldwell took teams to Super Bowls, does that mean they are great coaches?
kkc60

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »

this makes zero "cents"
You do 90% of the time a coach gets fired, they still get paid, right?
SSC

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2018, 05:19:22 PM »

Wanting a new DC when the club hasn't even signed an experienced MLB.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2018, 09:44:52 PM »

Steinauer want to work "close to home".
jeremy q public

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2018, 07:32:02 AM »

And he added, ?that Horseman guy sure was right! I should spend more time listening to randomly opinionated fans!?

Then he drove down to your work and brought you a cake for having selflessly contributed your great ideas for the betterment of the team.
rubanski

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »

His playing career and grey cups were not a fluke. The game has changed and his D are not anything near cutting edge or dominant anymore. Perhaps his D only works with certain personnel and he's trying to put the proverbial square peg into a round hole. I imagine the game has changed and he isn't keeping up.

Don't forget en route to a Grey Cup in SK, Chamblain took play calling duties away from Hall...

Don Matthews stunk in his final Argos coaching stint. Being a great coach once, doesn't mean you are a great coach forever.
Horseman

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »

And he added, ?that Horseman guy sure was right! I should spend more time listening to randomly opinionated fans!?

Then he drove down to your work and brought you a cake for having selflessly contributed your great ideas for the betterment of the team.

Thank you for acknowledging my contributions.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2018, 03:26:39 PM »

especially if that randomly opinionated fan is right...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
pjrocksmb

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2018, 05:34:13 PM »

His playing career and grey cups were not a fluke. The game has changed and his D are not anything near cutting edge or dominant anymore. Perhaps his D only works with certain personnel and he's trying to put the proverbial square peg into a round hole. I imagine the game has changed and he isn't keeping up.

Don't forget en route to a Grey Cup in SK, Chamblain took play calling duties away from Hall...

Don Matthews stunk in his final Argos coaching stint. Being a great coach once, doesn't mean you are a great coach forever.

interesting points and perspectives

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: