Blue Bombers Forum
September 21, 2018, 01:53:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: For those who critized a suggestion to approach Orlondo Steinauer as our DC  (Read 3666 times)
Horseman

« on: February 22, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »

Hamilton wasn't afraid to ask and...The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Thursday that Steinauer will be their assistant head coach in 2018, returning to the club after a one-year stint as the Fresno State Bulldogs? defensive coordinator.
gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:24:24 PM »

Yep, I said in the other thread that this is shocking, considering the success he was having down south.  He was my number one target to replace Hall as our DC.  Too bad the Bombers couldn't pull this one off...
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »

Maybe we offered DC and he didn't want it??  Maybe we offered AHC and he didn't want it?  Maybe something happened at Fresno that changed his mind?

Lots can go into this...good for the CFL.
Horseman

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »

This is a huge missed opportunity for the Big Blue.
gbill2004

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »

Maybe we offered DC and he didn't want it??  Maybe we offered AHC and he didn't want it?  Maybe something happened at Fresno that changed his mind?

Or maybe O'Shea didn't even attempt to contact Orlondo.  Yes, lots of possible scenarios...
Horseman

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:32:31 PM »

Maybe he doesn't like his former team mate MOS, or just maybe no one from the Bombers even approached him thinking that there would be no way he would come back to the CFL. In any case the lesson learned is to ask the question and not be afraid of the answer.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 06:37:02 PM »

Maybe he doesn't like his former team mate MOS, or just maybe no one from the Bombers even approached him thinking that there would be no way he would come back to the CFL. In any case the lesson learned is to ask the question and not be afraid of the answer.

There may be no lesson at all to be learned...we don't know that we didn't ask - not sure why you have to go to the negative immediately.  When MOS or Walters comes out and says that they had no interest in him then you can certainly present this as a potential issue...You can't force someone to come here either - Orlondo maybe loves it in Hamilton, maybe he sees the path to a HC is much shorter there.
gbill2004

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 06:38:56 PM »

There may be no lesson at all to be learned...we don't know that we didn't ask - not sure why you have to go to the negative immediately.  When MOS or Walters comes out and says that they had no interest in him then you can certainly present this as a potential issue...You can't force someone to come here either - Orlondo maybe loves it in Hamilton, maybe he sees the path to a HC is much shorter there.
I know it's the mods job around here to protect Bomber management, but you're speculating just as much as Horseman is. 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 06:39:13 PM »

Or it could simply be a matter of landing HC job up here more easily by taking a AHC role in a familiar environment than by taking a DC position in a far less familiar one.

We can speculate on however many scenarios we'd like but the fact is nobody here knows what happened behind closed doors or privately between individuals.

I don't think it's reasonable to suggest the Bombers missed an opportunity or learned a lesson based on this announcement, much less justified.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
booch

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 06:39:42 PM »

Or maybe you should consider that he is going to take over the team in 2019 as Jones is old as dirt and may move to a more Administrative role...

The only way Orlando was coming up hee from that gig was for a Head Coach gig...or the agreement to be AHC and take over within a year or two

Oshea and Walter's didn't have that carrot to dangle
gbill2004

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 06:40:28 PM »

Or maybe you should consider that he is going to take over the team in 2019 as Jones is old as dirt and may move to a more Administrative role...

The only way Orlando was coming up hee from that gig was for a Head Coach gig...or the agreement to be AHC and take over within a year or two

Oshea and Walter's didn't have that carrot to dangle
That's possible, but still speculation...
Horseman

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »

No we will probably never know, but I base my response from my conversation directly with MOS about hiring Steinauer and he said, "He probably is very satisfied in being in the NCAA". So that tells me he had no intention of approaching Steinauer about coming to Wpg as a DC or AHC as he felt Steinauer was happy being in the NCAA. But, I guess not. Unless someone from the Bombers comes out and says they approached Steinauer and he declined, then we will never know for sure. I don't appreciate you implying that I immediately became negative as you clearly did not have the information that I just indicated which is why my post reflects my skepticism about the Bombers even approaching Steinauer. I don't have to wait for MOS or Walters to come out before I post my opinion on this forum, you maybe a Mod but that is what this forum is, a vehicle for people to express their opinions, even those you disagree with.
rubanski

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »

Shocking. And seems very strange he would come back to the CFL. Never thought it would happen.
GCn18

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were never in the market for a new DC. Not sure why we are getting criticized for not approaching Steinhauer about a job that was never open. Criticize the Bombers, if you wish, about their decision to keep Hall but you can't criticize them for not approaching Steinhauer. That makes zero sense.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
gbill2004

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »

No we will probably never know, but I base my response from my conversation directly with MOS about hiring Steinauer and he said, "He probably is very satisfied in being in the NCAA". So that tells me he had no intention of approaching Steinauer about coming to Wpg as a DC or AHC as he felt Steinauer was happy being in the NCAA. But, I guess not. Unless someone from the Bombers comes out and says they approached Steinauer and he declined, then we will never know for sure. I don't appreciate you implying that I immediately became negative as you clearly did not have the information that I just indicated which is why my post reflects my skepticism about the Bombers even approaching Steinauer. I don't have to wait for MOS or Walters to come out before I post my opinion on this forum, you maybe a Mod but that is what this forum is, a vehicle for people to express their opinions, even those you disagree with.
Very interesting re. your convo with O'Shea.  My guess is O'Shea never even got past the point of trying to fix the D and make it work with Richie Hall.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: