Blue Bombers Forum
June 23, 2018, 07:12:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bomber fans vote yes to starting season 3-4 weeks early  (Read 2454 times)
Chris1982
« on: February 16, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »

https://globalnews.ca/news/4022032/winnipeg-blue-bombers-fans-vote-yes-to-moving-up-start-date-of-cfl-schedule/

gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 11:19:55 AM »

I attended Ambrosie?s town hall and I counted 6 people out of approximately 200 who opposed starting the season earlier. One guy said he?ll miss the nostalgia of Chris Walby playing in the freezing cold winter games  Cheesy

I actually see the back of my head in that articles pic  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:21:31 AM by gbill2004 » Logged
Chris1982
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 11:36:03 AM »

I attended Ambrosie?s town hall and I counted 6 people out of approximately 200 who opposed starting the season earlier. One guy said he?ll miss the nostalgia of Chris Walby playing in the freezing cold winter games  Cheesy

I actually see the back of my head in that articles pic  Smiley

I agree with starting it early - better weather, less competition with NFL, etc.  I can not see any drawbacks.  It should definitely also help Grey Cup and festivities revenue, with people not having to worry about sitting in -20 degree weather for 5 hours.
gbill2004

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »

I agree with starting it early - better weather, less competition with NFL, etc.  I can not see any drawbacks.  It should definitely also help Grey Cup and festivities revenue, with people not having to worry about sitting in -20 degree weather for 5 hours.
Only drawbacks are competing with the Stanley Cup playoffs especially if there are Canadian teams involved, but I think that can be mitigated by having weekend afternoon games to start the season, since NHL playoffs games are in the evenings.  or maybe TSN wants to compete with the Stanley Cup Playoffs??

The other issue is that the CFL draft would have to occur prior to the NFL draft, which most GMs won't like, but I don't think that's a deal breaker, since GMs usually know which CIS/college guys have serious NFL interest prior to the NFL draft. 
Chris1982
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »

Only drawbacks are competing with the Stanley Cup playoffs especially if there are Canadian teams involved, but I think that can be mitigated by having weekend afternoon games to start the season, since NHL playoffs games are in the evenings.  or maybe TSN wants to compete with the Stanley Cup Playoffs??

The other issue is that the CFL draft would have to occur prior to the NFL draft, which most GMs won't like, but I don't think that's a deal breaker, since GMs usually know which CIS/college guys have serious NFL interest prior to the NFL draft. 

Definitely a good point about the NHL playoffs.  Could be a conflict.

And yup, GMs always know which guys have NFL interest prior to the draft - quite often they will already know the top 20-30 college prospects for the following year, literally 12-16 months in advance.

Tehedra

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »

Apparently I am one of the few who likes the added element of having to play in the snow. Which to me sets us apart from the NFL but I'm sure I would eventually get over that.
gbill2004

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 01:23:36 PM »

At the town hall, Ambrosie made an interesting point that we are the only league where attendance decreases as the playoffs get closer.  And it's because of the weather. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:35:01 PM by gbill2004 » Logged
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:44:21 PM »

With massive HD TVs and comfortable couches/chairs, cheaper food and drink, it's easy to see why people would prefer to watch late fall CFL games indoors, either at home or at a sports bar/lounge. Moving up the playoffs by a few weeks does mitigate the chance of colder and the later into November we get, the chance increases. Weather's obviously not a guarantee but three weeks is pretty significant difference.

The competition of an early season conflicting with the NHL Playoffs is a concern but I don't think it's as big as some have claimed (like the guy at the town hall who rambled on and on about it for several minutes). June is basically the Stanley Cup Final, anyway, which means it's a game every other day for the roughly the first two weeks of the month.

I'm all for moving the season up earlier and having a Grey Cup Festival during the first week of November.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
Chris1982
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 04:07:03 PM »

Apparently I am one of the few who likes the added element of having to play in the snow. Which to me sets us apart from the NFL but I'm sure I would eventually get over that.

Have you never watched a game in Chicago, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Denver, New England in December??
theaardvark

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »

I think loss of fans/viewers early in the season/preseason vs. hockey/playoffs is far lower than the loss of fans / viewers late in the season due to weather and NFL.  The Bombers force STH's to buy preseason tix, and give away large numbers of them.   I'm sure they wouldn't mind if that game ends up opposite a Jets game...  but getting more late summer, glorious weather games that have meaning in a playoff run, to fill the stadium...

Plus, that moves Labour day / banjo bowl to weeks 15/16 in the season.  Much more likely to have direct meaning to the games...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »

I?ve always been a fan of having an earlier season start and finish....especially for the cities with open air stadiums.  I vote a big yes to the proposal and it looks like the fans do as well. 

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
blue girl

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »

I really don't care one way or the other. I'll go to a game whenever it's scheduled.
gbill2004

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »

I really don't care one way or the other. I'll go to a game whenever it's scheduled.
I love your attitude!
bustamente

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »

NHL playoffs wont bother the schedule or attendance that much considering that cities that have NHL teams rarely get that far into the playoffs lately, this year you might have 2-3 Canadian teams making the playoffs.
gbill2004

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »

NHL playoffs wont bother the schedule or attendance that much considering that cities that have NHL teams rarely get that far into the playoffs lately, this year you might have 2-3 Canadian teams making the playoffs.
It's more about TSN's ratings.  For the most part, in Canada hockey is number one, especially if a Canadian team is in the cup finals. 
Chris1982
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 09:30:26 PM »

It's more about TSN's ratings.  For the most part, in Canada hockey is number one, especially if a Canadian team is in the cup finals. 

Yup - obviously the majority of Canadians cheer for their home team first, but as long as there is a Canadian team still in the playoffs, I would guess that most hockey fans are going to continue to watch.
bluebeard

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »

How often has that happened in recent years?
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »

I vote for Saturday playoff games especially when it comes to the Grey Cup.....so much easier to recover from a hangover on a Sunday than a Monday lol. Plus it may draw even more viewers from the south if we don't insist on competing against the NFL.

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 03:30:31 PM »

Yup - obviously the majority of Canadians cheer for their home team first, but as long as there is a Canadian team still in the playoffs, I would guess that most hockey fans are going to continue to watch.

Even if there isn't a Canadian team in the SCF, Canadians still tune in to watch it. Are there numbers showing a significant difference between when a Canadian team is in and not?

All that said, I can't see the SCF hindering interest in the CFL season if the two should overlap.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 03:57:20 PM »

Even if there isn't a Canadian team in the SCF, Canadians still tune in to watch it. Are there numbers showing a significant difference between when a Canadian team is in and not?

All that said, I can't see the SCF hindering interest in the CFL season if the two should overlap.
I recall a couple years ago Sportsnet?s ratings were really down because there were no Canadian teams in the playoffs.

So you figure if the Jets were in the Stanley Cup finals and there was a Bomber game at the same time, that attendance/ratings for that Bomber game wouldn?t take a hit?  Of course it would. But like I said you could mitigate that by having the early CFL games in the season as afternoon weekend games, since NHL is in the evenings.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 04:00:07 PM by gbill2004 » Logged
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 04:03:22 PM »

I recall a couple years ago Sportsnet?s ratings were really down because there were no Canadian teams in the playoffs.

So you figure if the Jets were in the Stanley Cup finals and there was a Bomber game at the same time, that attendance/ratings for that Bomber game wouldn?t take a hit?  Of course it would. But like I said you could mitigate that by having the early CFL games in the season as afternoon weekend games, since NHL is in the evenings.

From my point of view If the Jets are in a potential Stanley Cup clinching game on the same day as a Bomber regular season game then the Jets win. Non Stanley Clup clinching games don't matter to me.

BEASTS OF THE EAST

NorthernSkunk

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »

The CFL and NHL could simply work together on a schedule that benefits both. Pretty simple.
gbill2004

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 04:13:35 PM »

From my point of view If the Jets are in a potential Stanley Cup clinching game on the same day as a Bomber regular season game then the Jets win. Non Stanley Clup clinching games don't matter to me.
Hard core Bomber fans might think the same as you do.  But for casual fans, the majority would be watching the Jets if they were in the Cup Finals.  If the Jets were in the Stanley Cup Finals, the majority of Winnipeg would be watching every game.  And I believe that the NHL playoff schedule is released near and even during the playoffs, depending on how long each series goes, so it'd be impossible for the NHL and CFL to work on a schedule together that does not conflict. 
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 04:39:16 PM »

Hard core Bomber fans might think the same as you do.  But for casual fans, the majority would be watching the Jets if they were in the Cup Finals.  If the Jets were in the Stanley Cup Finals, the majority of Winnipeg would be watching every game.  And I believe that the NHL playoff schedule is released near and even during the playoffs, depending on how long each series goes, so it'd be impossible for the NHL and CFL to work on a schedule together that does not conflict. 

It's not impossible if the NHL says they won't schedule any playoff games in the afternoon....the the cfl then says thanks...that is when we will schedule our games, at least until the NHL playoffs are over.

And as for the jets making the final.......lmao
gbill2004

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »

It's not impossible if the NHL says they won't schedule any playoff games in the afternoon....the the cfl then says thanks...that is when we will schedule our games, at least until the NHL playoffs are over.

And as for the jets making the final.......lmao
Ya that's how I said you mitigate it in an earlier post, by having weekend afternoon games to start the season that conflict with the Stanley Cup Finals. 

And I guess you don't follow the Jets...they're one of the best teams in the league this year. 
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »

You also said this....

so it'd be impossible for the NHL and CFL to work on a schedule together that does not conflict. 
gbill2004

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »

You also said this....

And that's true.  The NHL is not going to sit down with the CFL and work together on a schedule that works for both leagues.  The NHL is going to schedule game whenever work best for them.  Having said that we know that NHL Stanley Cup Finals games are in the evenings so the CFL could schedule it's early season games on weekend afternoon's so that it does not conflict with the Stanley Cup Finals. 
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 04:49:03 PM »

Ya that's how I said you mitigate it in an earlier post, by having weekend afternoon games to start the season that conflict with the Stanley Cup Finals. 

And I guess you don't follow the Jets...they're one of the best teams in the league this year. 

I haven't followed the jets since they left.
gbill2004

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »

That's pretty obvious based on your comment. 
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »

There are ways to work around the conflict with the Stanley Cup playoffs....scheduling weekend afternoon games may be one possibility.  I think the fan attendance gained later in the season will outweigh the losses earlier in the season.   Would be great attending the Grey Cup game before Halloween and not having to wear a skidoo suit! 

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »

That's pretty obvious based on your comment. 

Are you saying it's obvious the jets will be in the cup finals ?........I say the Bombers will win a grey cup well before the jets ever make a final. If they ever do.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2018, 05:12:12 PM »

Are you saying it's obvious the jets will be in the cup finals ?........I say the Bombers will win a grey cup well before the jets ever make a final. If they ever do.

They ...... better the Jets path to a finals is sure harder and has more variables than a bloody GC win!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:22:46 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2018, 05:14:49 PM »

Did some research back to the 2014 NHL season, they normally do a M/W/Sat/M/Th/Su style format for the first 6 games. So based on this years Bomber schedule we won't have any games affected by the Stanley Cup Final as our first 2 pre-season games are on Friday nights and our first regular season game is on  Thursday the 14th.  The 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs were won on a Friday the 13th. The 2013 Stanley Cup Finals didn't start till June 12th but that was the lockout season.......Fingers crossed the Jets are in the Stanley Cup but as Blake Wheeler says "we need to pump the brakes"

BEASTS OF THE EAST

66 Chevelle

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2018, 05:43:44 PM »

DVR?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Chris1982
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 08:03:38 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
3rdand1.5

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 03:19:59 PM »

I am a big fan of the earlier season.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 10:42:24 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Sorry....I was a huge WHA jet fan as a kid....then an NHL jet fan .....but when they left it was over for me. Rebadging the thrashers just isn't the same for me.....makes the jets kissin cousins to the Calgary flames as far as I am concerned.

If they were ever able to schedule an NHL game within a day of a CFL game though I know people who would be all over that. Those were fun weekends going to the peg and being able to do both.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:45:45 PM by NorthernSkunk » Logged
DM83

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2018, 10:44:31 PM »

Huh?

You want the Coyotes back instead?
Yikes!
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2018, 10:46:34 PM »

Huh?

Yikes!

Yes the coyotes are rough....but that is my NHL team now when asked.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 03:49:51 PM »

Sorry....I was a huge WHA jet fan as a kid....then an NHL jet fan .....but when they left it was over for me. Rebadging the thrashers just isn't the same for me.....makes the jets kissin cousins to the Calgary flames as far as I am concerned.

If they were ever able to schedule an NHL game within a day of a CFL game though I know people who would be all over that. Those were fun weekends going to the peg and being able to do both.

Same here, I was a fanatical Jets fan but when they left town I turned out the lights on the NHL and have probably not watched a complete game since that time. 
DM83

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 04:15:53 PM »

Wow! Do you ,have a favourite dinosaur from when you were a kid?
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 04:16:51 PM »

I'm in the same boat as a few others I see.  When the NHL waved goodbye.  That was it for me.
gbill2004

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »

Range of moving the season up could be anything from 2-3 weeks to even 4-5 weeks. - @RandyAmbrosie #CFL #Halifax via @CFL

From Drew Edwards: #CFL commissioner @RandyAmbrosie on moving the schedule up "we would never even begin a serious conversation without @CFLonTSN."
GCn17

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »

Huh?

Yikes!

At the time the Jets came back I would have gladly taken the Coyotes over the Thrashers. The Yotes were a good club back then.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
DM83

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 07:44:11 AM »

Uh-huh!
Chris1982
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2018, 07:57:14 AM »

Yes the coyotes are rough....but that is my NHL team now when asked.

I was a follower of the Coyotes for several years after the Jets move to Arizona, but that was mainly staying loyal to watching guys like Doan, Khabibulin, Numminen, Tkachuk, etc.... after all those guys called it quits, it was hard to really care much about them anymore.

GCn17

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »

I was a follower of the Coyotes for several years after the Jets move to Arizona, but that was mainly staying loyal to watching guys like Doan, Khabibulin, Numminen, Tkachuk, etc.... after all those guys called it quits, it was hard to really care much about them anymore.

I did too, out of loyalty to some of the players but mostly because I had to pick a team since we didn't have one. After a couple years I went back to my old pre-NHL jets team, the Canadiens.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Chris1982
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2018, 01:16:01 PM »

I did too, out of loyalty to some of the players but mostly because I had to pick a team since we didn't have one. After a couple years I went back to my old pre-NHL jets team, the Canadiens.

The Moose gave us a pretty good run of hockey for the missing Jets years - we easily had the best IHL - AHL atmosphere in both leagues - it was also fun watching all those NHL calibre guys going back and forth from the Canucks.
GCn17

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »

The Moose gave us a pretty good run of hockey for the missing Jets years - we easily had the best IHL - AHL atmosphere in both leagues - it was also fun watching all those NHL calibre guys going back and forth from the Canucks.

Affordable tickets too. Before I started snow birding, I had a 1/3 share in a pair of Jets season tickets and they were freaking expensive for the amount of games you get. I liked going to Moose games cause 40 bucks got you a pretty good seat and I never had a problem finding a buddy who would go because it was affordable.

DM83

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2018, 07:17:06 AM »

Those teams sucked.

Now the WHA days were where it was at.  $10.00 ice level seat, Anders, Ulf and Bobby.now that was heaven
gbill2004

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 07:48:16 AM »

Those teams sucked.

Now the WHA days were where it was at.  $10.00 ice level seat, Anders, Ulf and Bobby.now that was heaven

In junior high, I used to go to Jets 1.0 games with my friends for $7 tickets we got at 7-11. Nosebleed seats but they place was usually half empty you could sit lower down at ice level.
Chris1982
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2018, 03:52:27 PM »

I remember my Dad and I getting Jets tickets at Macs convenience stores in the early 90s for Buy One Get One free.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2018, 06:09:30 PM »

Definitely should start the season while the kids are still in school.  It will give them something to talk about and perhaps the young crowd can go to the games as a group again.  The CFL needs to have a younger fan base there is no doubt about that.
GCn17

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »

Definitely should start the season while the kids are still in school.  It will give them something to talk about and perhaps the young crowd can go to the games as a group again.  The CFL needs to have a younger fan base there is no doubt about that.

That is a very interesting observation. I concur.

lenny

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »

Love Ambrosie's pro-active approach to starting the season much earlier. Not to hijack the thread but I also hope he speaks to Vince McMahon with view to cross-over games with NFL rules with the XFL. The CFL can remain autonomous all the while expanding interest across the borders on both sides.
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2018, 06:33:30 PM »

Love Ambrosie's pro-active approach to starting the season much earlier. Not to hijack the thread but I also hope he speaks to Vince McMahon with view to cross-over games with NFL rules with the XFL. The CFL can remain autonomous all the while expanding interest across the borders on both sides.

pre-season against XFL teams ending their season would be cool.
Do like some amateur teams have done here 1 half NFL rules/ 1 half CFL rules.

BEASTS OF THE EAST

theaardvark

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »

pre-season against XFL teams ending their season would be cool.
Do like some amateur teams have done here 1 half NFL rules/ 1 half CFL rules.

Are you suggesting CFL teams play tier pre-season games against XFL teams?  What possible benefit would that be, other than hype?  Depending on the XFL cap structure, they could be very different leagues in talent scope.  And the games would all have to be in the US, because most of the XFL players wouldn't be carrying Canadian work visas...

One team will be embarrassed, either by the inability to adapt to the different rules, schemes, etc, or just to a difference in talent levels.

Unless its CFL rules, on Canadian soil, with the XFL having a similar cap structure to the CFL, Hard no.  And even then, its still a no, just not a hard no...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: