Blue Bombers Forum
September 21, 2018, 01:54:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bomber fans vote yes to starting season 3-4 weeks early  (Read 2951 times)
Chris1982
« on: February 16, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »

https://globalnews.ca/news/4022032/winnipeg-blue-bombers-fans-vote-yes-to-moving-up-start-date-of-cfl-schedule/

gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 11:19:55 AM »

I attended Ambrosie?s town hall and I counted 6 people out of approximately 200 who opposed starting the season earlier. One guy said he?ll miss the nostalgia of Chris Walby playing in the freezing cold winter games  Cheesy

I actually see the back of my head in that articles pic  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:21:31 AM by gbill2004 » Logged
Chris1982
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 11:36:03 AM »

I attended Ambrosie?s town hall and I counted 6 people out of approximately 200 who opposed starting the season earlier. One guy said he?ll miss the nostalgia of Chris Walby playing in the freezing cold winter games  Cheesy

I actually see the back of my head in that articles pic  Smiley

I agree with starting it early - better weather, less competition with NFL, etc.  I can not see any drawbacks.  It should definitely also help Grey Cup and festivities revenue, with people not having to worry about sitting in -20 degree weather for 5 hours.
gbill2004

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »

I agree with starting it early - better weather, less competition with NFL, etc.  I can not see any drawbacks.  It should definitely also help Grey Cup and festivities revenue, with people not having to worry about sitting in -20 degree weather for 5 hours.
Only drawbacks are competing with the Stanley Cup playoffs especially if there are Canadian teams involved, but I think that can be mitigated by having weekend afternoon games to start the season, since NHL playoffs games are in the evenings.  or maybe TSN wants to compete with the Stanley Cup Playoffs??

The other issue is that the CFL draft would have to occur prior to the NFL draft, which most GMs won't like, but I don't think that's a deal breaker, since GMs usually know which CIS/college guys have serious NFL interest prior to the NFL draft. 
Chris1982
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »

Only drawbacks are competing with the Stanley Cup playoffs especially if there are Canadian teams involved, but I think that can be mitigated by having weekend afternoon games to start the season, since NHL playoffs games are in the evenings.  or maybe TSN wants to compete with the Stanley Cup Playoffs??

The other issue is that the CFL draft would have to occur prior to the NFL draft, which most GMs won't like, but I don't think that's a deal breaker, since GMs usually know which CIS/college guys have serious NFL interest prior to the NFL draft. 

Definitely a good point about the NHL playoffs.  Could be a conflict.

And yup, GMs always know which guys have NFL interest prior to the draft - quite often they will already know the top 20-30 college prospects for the following year, literally 12-16 months in advance.

Tehedra

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »

Apparently I am one of the few who likes the added element of having to play in the snow. Which to me sets us apart from the NFL but I'm sure I would eventually get over that.
gbill2004

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 01:23:36 PM »

At the town hall, Ambrosie made an interesting point that we are the only league where attendance decreases as the playoffs get closer.  And it's because of the weather. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:35:01 PM by gbill2004 » Logged
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:44:21 PM »

With massive HD TVs and comfortable couches/chairs, cheaper food and drink, it's easy to see why people would prefer to watch late fall CFL games indoors, either at home or at a sports bar/lounge. Moving up the playoffs by a few weeks does mitigate the chance of colder and the later into November we get, the chance increases. Weather's obviously not a guarantee but three weeks is pretty significant difference.

The competition of an early season conflicting with the NHL Playoffs is a concern but I don't think it's as big as some have claimed (like the guy at the town hall who rambled on and on about it for several minutes). June is basically the Stanley Cup Final, anyway, which means it's a game every other day for the roughly the first two weeks of the month.

I'm all for moving the season up earlier and having a Grey Cup Festival during the first week of November.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Chris1982
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 04:07:03 PM »

Apparently I am one of the few who likes the added element of having to play in the snow. Which to me sets us apart from the NFL but I'm sure I would eventually get over that.

Have you never watched a game in Chicago, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Denver, New England in December??
theaardvark

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »

I think loss of fans/viewers early in the season/preseason vs. hockey/playoffs is far lower than the loss of fans / viewers late in the season due to weather and NFL.  The Bombers force STH's to buy preseason tix, and give away large numbers of them.   I'm sure they wouldn't mind if that game ends up opposite a Jets game...  but getting more late summer, glorious weather games that have meaning in a playoff run, to fill the stadium...

Plus, that moves Labour day / banjo bowl to weeks 15/16 in the season.  Much more likely to have direct meaning to the games...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »

I?ve always been a fan of having an earlier season start and finish....especially for the cities with open air stadiums.  I vote a big yes to the proposal and it looks like the fans do as well. 

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
blue girl

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »

I really don't care one way or the other. I'll go to a game whenever it's scheduled.
gbill2004

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »

I really don't care one way or the other. I'll go to a game whenever it's scheduled.
I love your attitude!
bustamente

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »

NHL playoffs wont bother the schedule or attendance that much considering that cities that have NHL teams rarely get that far into the playoffs lately, this year you might have 2-3 Canadian teams making the playoffs.
gbill2004

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »

NHL playoffs wont bother the schedule or attendance that much considering that cities that have NHL teams rarely get that far into the playoffs lately, this year you might have 2-3 Canadian teams making the playoffs.
It's more about TSN's ratings.  For the most part, in Canada hockey is number one, especially if a Canadian team is in the cup finals. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: