Blue Bombers Forum
December 14, 2018, 07:58:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 66
  Print  
Author Topic: Walters interested in Muamba  (Read 59389 times)
gbill2004

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 01:42:34 PM »

I think it's part of Walter's 'style' of leadership... coming off as comfortable and confident, never showing a sense of urgency... good leaders do that publicly to give those around him confidence and the belief that he believes in them and their abilities... you don't want to start any self doubt in those that you already have, especially if you're unable to acquire anyone else for the position...
He also doesn't want to look desperate because that would hurt him in negotiations. 
66 Chevelle

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 01:45:42 PM »

He also doesn't want to look desperate because that would hurt him in negotiations. 

exactly! good point... that sense of urgency comes off as desperation, hence weakening your bargaining position as well...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »

We were all salivating over Larry Dean...a few years ago nobody really knew who he was (he bounced around the NFL for a bit) who is to say that JSK can't be the same quality.  Walters is correct that at some point you do have to develop players and that involves having them play.  You just always can't land all the big free agents - that said I would hope they take a serious run at Muamba - but if they don't land him we may get the opportunity to see JSK emerge as a great CFL LB.
gbill2004

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »

We were all salivating over Larry Dean...a few years ago nobody really knew who he was (he bounced around the NFL for a bit) who is to say that JSK can't be the same quality.  Walters is correct that at some point you do have to develop players and that involves having them play.  You just always can't land all the big free agents - that said I would hope they take a serious run at Muamba - but if they don't land him we may get the opportunity to see JSK emerge as a great CFL LB.
Great point and I agree 100%.  I think JSK could be the CFL's next stud MLB. 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 01:53:44 PM »

He's comfortable in the same way O'Shea always felt Hurl was doing a good job at MLB.

I don't fault him however. He's not going to throw his current players under the bus.

I also think his priorities were correct:

1. Balance the ratio by replacing Westerman with a canadian starter on offence.

2. Replace Heath

3. Bring in some veteran alternatives in the secondary

4. Upgrade at MLB if possible.

Its still too early to say how number 4 will play out.

I should rephrase: I have no idea how he's comfortable and actually means it. Wink

Obviously, he wouldn't throw any player under the bus but this team hasn't had quality MLBing since Muamba went south in 2014. For four consecutive seasons, we've had to endure this experimentation process at a key defensive position and the results have been mostly disastrous.

I'm not sure if I agree on that priorities list, either. Well, I agree on the points listed but all of the them could be addressed on equal terms, IMO. And with Muamba becoming a free agent, 1 and 4 could've been addressed in one fell swoop. Two birds with one stone and whatnot.

An important trait for any GM. Walters does that very well, IMO.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »

my only thing is this, given the reality of 1 year contracts that you have to strike when you can. They have done a very good job at addressing team needs, pretty much all areas they have improved. That this team could become a very, very good team and contend for a cup this year that may not be able to do so in the years to come.

booch

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »

All great players start as unknowns...or don't become great until a change of scenery...we shall see but I agree on JSK...He has all the things you want to be a real good one...That being said..let him develop even more onto his great work last year in the same spot...Beside a Muamba...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 02:02:27 PM »

I don't see that he did balance the ratio, in fact I think now we have more of a challenge than before...  if he would have kept the starting national for defense at 2, and then added the extra offensive option, then yeah, he addressed it...  He still can, but options are starting to run out...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 02:06:56 PM »

All great players start as unknowns...or don't become great until a change of scenery...we shall see but I agree on JSK...He has all the things you want to be a real good one...That being said..let him develop even more onto his great work last year in the same spot...Beside a Muamba...

dilly! dilly!

but seriously, I agree, he has an upside for sure... but, even if he can this year, what happens if he gets injured?  If we get Muamba, they can rotate as and when need be, and have some depth as well....

Blue In BC

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »

Part of my thought is how long can we wait for an answer. Is there another player at MLB or elsewhere that is still available that we could still get NOW. Free agency is a matter of timing. Players available today may not be available by Monday.

My alternative suggestion is that if we don't spend this extra SMS shortly we try and extend some of our top Canadians before the start of the season. That isn't the norm for those not going to be potential free agents.

However with a new CBA coming in 2019 I'd like to ensure we lock up Loffler for example. A bit afraid he might bolt to Vancouver.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »

dilly! dilly!

but seriously, I agree, he has an upside for sure... but, even if he can this year, what happens if he gets injured?  If we get Muamba, they can rotate as and when need be, and have some depth as well....

JSK will be on year 2 of a 2 year entry contract. It's catch 22: he may become a free agent in 2019.

Even if we sign Muamba he probably also only signs a 1 year deal.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 02:23:42 PM »

JSK will be on year 2 of a 2 year entry contract. It's catch 22: he may become a free agent in 2019.

Even if we sign Muamba he probably also only signs a 1 year deal.

true, but we appear to have all of the other pieces in place to make a run for the cup this year... next year we may not be in that same position regardless. so, if there's a chance to get him now, we should in my opinion...

blueraid

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »

I think that's a very good point...we are Cup ready..so to speak...Henoc is 28 and nearing an age where he probably wants to settle down in one spot....I'm sure IF this season pans out and we are Cup bound, then Muamba's future and last stop could be here...He certainly would be earning more (Cup win or even appearances) than with another club..If it is truly about money and or accolades it could be here where he started...If we're comfortable with him in all respects and he is comfortable with us, then this is a no-brainer.  I hope Walters can get it done.
Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »

true, but we appear to have all of the other pieces in place to make a run for the cup this year... next year we may not be in that same position regardless. so, if there's a chance to get him now, we should in my opinion...

I'm not disagreeing just saying a lot of players are only taking 1 year deals due to impending new CBA in 2019.

No more excuses.
Blue72

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 03:09:38 PM »

Hebert released from Montreal opens another door for Maumba, I know it was where he left unhappy but Reed loves throwing money around or it may take another MLB off the FA list.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 66
  Print  

Jump to: