Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2018, 08:26:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Harris doubts he can replicate last year & Nichols on new CFL balls  (Read 1042 times)
Chris1982
« on: March 23, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »

Not that trying to match last years numbers for Harris is really that important, it is still an interesting look and perspective on the upcoming season from Harris;

Also, a little commentary from Matt Nichols on the new balls being used:

http://winnipegsun.com/contests/harris-doubts-he-can-replicate-last-years-numbers-on-more-balanced-bombers-team

He came very close to becoming the first player in CFL history to record 1,000 yards in both rushing and receiving last year but Andrew Harris isn?t expecting to put up the same type of numbers in 2018.

?It?s going to be a bit of a different dynamic this year because of all the targets we have so I don?t think getting those numbers again is going to be attainable,? Harris said Thursday at CFL Week.

?That?s OK to me. I want to see us be successful and well-rounded.?

Harris was named the CFL?s most outstanding Canadian last season after recording a league-high 1,035 rushing yards, a league-high 105 receptions and 857 receiving yards.

He admitted it was one of his goals to reach the 1,000-1,000 mark last year, but this year he has only one goal.

?Ultimately to me, the goal is to win a Grey Cup,? said Harris, a 30-year-old from Winnipeg who had the best season of his career in 2017. ?Last year, I felt the goals I set out for myself were ones I could achieve but this year with our team it?s a lot different than last year. However, I can help to get our team to the Grey Cup, I want to do it.

?If that means getting 20 carries and 10 catches a game, so be it. But I just don?t see that happening this year.?

As for Argos dynamic running back James Wilder, Jr., the CFL?s most outstanding rookie in 2017, challenging Harris to a race to 1,000-1,000 that would benefit charities, the Bombers running back was dismissive.

At one point earlier in the off-season, Wilder said he would sit out the season because the Argos were not willing to let him try his luck in the NFL and also didn?t want to renegotiate his contract. He wound up getting more money to stay in Double Blue.

Harris wasn?t impressed.

?He?s on Twitter about everything,? Harris said. ?Talking about challenging people after worrying about how much money you got paid is not really something you should be doing, I don?t think.?

-

Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols hasn?t had a chance to test out the new footballs the CFL will use this season but he thinks he?s going to like them

?The main thing for me was I heard the laces stayed the same,? Nichols said. ?The laces are raised on our ball a little bit more than the NFL ball. I was a little worried about it fully going to the NFL ball.

?I?ve thrown the NFL ball around a bit the last couple of weeks and it definitely doesn?t feel the same as ours. Since the laces are the same, I don?t think the leather changing is going to affect too much.?

The main changes with the new balls are in the type of leather used and the size ? they are slightly larger than last year.

?I?ve got decent-sized hands,? Nichols said. ?I threw it well in high school, threw it well in college, threw it well in the NFL, threw it well here. Whatever ball you are given, you get used to it and I don?t think it?s going to be any issues.?

Nichols said the broken ring finger on his throwing hand that hampered him for the last few games of the 2017 is fully healed.

?It?s really good,? he said. ?I went through the rehab process, everything feels great. I haven?t had any limitations since a couple weeks after the season ended. Good to go.?
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 12:15:51 PM »

The receiving corps has been upgraded, so if Harris' workload can be lightened and the ball can be moved around more efficiently, great.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
bluengold204

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »

lol @ harris calling out wilder
TBURGESS

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 12:36:40 PM »

I hope Harris is right that we are moving towards a more balanced offence. That would make us more dangerous and less dependant on a couple of players to make our offence work.

Being right never gets old.
booch

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:46:51 PM »

and will also make his running more effective
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 03:47:17 PM »

If anyone can help us win our next GC it would be Andrew Harris!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
theaardvark

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 07:37:00 PM »

So, with the new balls, we can use the slogan "Our Balls are now capable of being marginally larger"  or do we switch to "Our laces bulge more"

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue girl

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 09:24:22 PM »

I see it as Harris being realistic. IMO this will be good for him as there will be less wear and tear on his body. I have to say that I'm looking forward to this years offence.
gbill2004

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 09:35:55 PM »

"Our laces bulge more"
This should be the CFL's new slogan!   Cheesy
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 03:27:08 AM »

So, with the new balls, we can use the slogan "Our Balls are now capable of being marginally larger"  or do we switch to "Our laces bulge more"

Please no.....there are enough "stud" references around here all ready....add in these ball references and it might start looking kinda weird to any new people who come here....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: