Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2018, 04:43:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 66
  Print  
Author Topic: Walters interested in Muamba  (Read 42753 times)
Lincoln Locomotive

« on: February 16, 2018, 04:23:03 AM »

Kyle Walters is taking his best shot at luring Henoc back into the Bomber fold and it sounds as if he's prepared to pay 200K or.....not sure he can convince him for 200K....??

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
TBURGESS

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:45:01 AM »

Kyle Walters is taking his best shot at luring Henoc back into the Bomber fold and it sounds as if he's prepared to pay 200K or.....not sure he can convince him for 200K....??
Source?

Being right never gets old.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:17:55 AM »

Source?
TSN article....

Walters said he's let the agent of the veteran Canadian linebacker know Winnipeg is interested.

"He's a Canadian starter, a quality Canadian starter, which in our league is at a premium," Walters said.

"Everybody right now will kind of take a look at their roster and their ratio and say, 'Can we or can we not fit Henoc in? What's the price point? How does it fit with the ratio?' "

Muamba, 28, has been in and out of the league since Winnipeg drafted him first overall in 2011.

He played three seasons with the Bombers before the pending free agent was released early in 2014 to pursue the NFL. He signed with the Indianapolis Colts, but got let go and joined the Montreal Alouettes in September 2015.

After playing the remainder of that season with the Als, he was released to try the NFL again in 2016. He signed with Dallas, but was cut and joined Saskatchewan in the fall. He played five games that season and 17 last year, recording 82 tackles, 11 special teams tackles, two interceptions and three forced fumbles.

While the six-foot, 230-pound middle linebacker is now a coveted free agent, the cost for his services is expected to be high.

The Riders released him before he was reportedly due a $35,000 bonus on Feb. 15. His price tag could be around $200,000 per season.

Walters said offers aren't even being taken yet by Muamba and his agent.

"They're not even thinking about that," he said. "Other than just saying that Henoc's been released, they're just going to take a deep breath and figure out what their next move is."

Any deal with Muamba would affect Winnipeg's roster and bank account.

"When you're talking about that kind of price point, and based on what I anticipate based on what he's been earning, I would imagine they're going to want to earn a similar dollar figure," Walters said.

"The way we're currently set up, if you're going to want to add a Henoc Muamba, then something's got to give. That's just the reality of it."

Walters said he believes the team has linebackers who can get the job done at the middle or MAC spot if Muamba doesn't pan out.

"Jovan Santos-Knox for the latter half of the year was a dynamic football player," he said. "He played the WILL linebacker spot, he played MAC in college, so he can play either. And Ian Wild, he's back under contract. Ian's played both as well."

Walters updated where the team is at after the first few days of free agency.

"The three guys we went aggressively hard after, we got," he said.

That trio included a pair of Winnipeggers ? receiver Nic Demski and backup running back Kienan LaFrance ? and American starting defensive back Chandler Fenner.

Prior to free agency, Winnipeg got deals done with quarterback Darian Durant to be a veteran backup to Matt Nichols and all-star receiver Adarius Bowman.

While the Bombers lost players such as defensive lineman Jamaal Westerman, defensive back T.J. Heath and linebacker Sam Hurl, Walters said the roster has improved and young players now have the opportunity to show their development.

That will be needed in the competitive West Division.

"Last year was tough, and everyone's changing and everyone's getting better," Walters said.

"Everybody seems strong, and who can win the tight ball games and who can stay out of injury trouble and survive those sort of things I think is going to be the difference."

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
DM83

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 07:45:28 AM »

Walters little speech smacks of loserville.
Winnioeg lost three difference makers, and signed a bunch of cuts and or backups.
To say we are better is a bold  Huh lie.

Another strike out!
GCn17

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 07:46:57 AM »

Reading between the lines I think we have a lot of interest in Muamba IF the price is right.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Chris1982
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 08:48:58 AM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/henoc-muamba-bombers-1.4537892
GCn17

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »

Reads pretty much the same as the TSN article listed above.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Tehedra

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »

I heard something completely different, I heard that Henoc would be a good player who commands a ton of salary and every team will be interested in signing but that it would be a disservice to count out players currently rostered who could also play the spot.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 01:24:13 PM »

Reading between the lines I think we have a lot of interest in Muamba IF the price is right.

It'd sure be nice if the Bombers could pick him up at the right price. Not only does it help the ratio but it really upgrades the defense.

Ed Tait's article touches on some key points: https://www.cfl.ca/2018/02/15/walters-bombers-checking-muamba/

Quite frankly, I have no idea how Walters could proclaim to be comfortable with the current group of LBers on the roster.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
'16 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab Black Out Edition

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 01:27:34 PM »

I heard something completely different, I heard that Henoc would be a good player who commands a ton of salary and every team will be interested in signing but that it would be a disservice to count out players currently rostered who could also play the spot.

asking as 'the new guy' here... who do we currently have that has proven capable of filling that role? do we have anyone that has played MLB? or, are they saying that we have defensive players that have shown the ability to play that should be given the chance?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
gbill2004

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »

asking as 'the new guy' here... who do we currently have that has proven capable of filling that role? do we have anyone that has played MLB? or, are they saying that we have defensive players that have shown the ability to play that should be given the chance?
Wild played MLB for the Bombers for most of the season a few years ago.  He was okay, but at times it was obvious he was a bit undersized, especially when trying to stop Messam.  And of course JSK played MLB in college. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:37:35 PM by gbill2004 » Logged
booch

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »

Walters little speech smacks of loserville.
Winnioeg lost three difference makers, and signed a bunch of cuts and or backups.
To say we are better is a bold  Huh lie.

Another strike out!
Who are the 3 difference makers and why...and who are the back-ups and cuts?...just curious
bunker

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »

It'd sure be nice if the Bombers could pick him up at the right price. Not only does it help the ratio but it really upgrades the defense.

Ed Tait's article touches on some key points: https://www.cfl.ca/2018/02/15/walters-bombers-checking-muamba/

Quite frankly, I have no idea how Walters could proclaim to be comfortable with the current group of LBers on the roster.

He's comfortable in the same way O'Shea always felt Hurl was doing a good job at MLB.

I don't fault him however. He's not going to throw his current players under the bus.

I also think his priorities were correct:

1. Balance the ratio by replacing Westerman with a canadian starter on offence.

2. Replace Heath

3. Bring in some veteran alternatives in the secondary

4. Upgrade at MLB if possible.

Its still too early to say how number 4 will play out.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 01:36:07 PM »

Wild played MLB for the Bombers for most of the season a few couple years ago.  He was okay, but at times it was obvious he was a bit undersized, especially when trying to stop Messam.  And of course JSK played MLB in college. 

so, if proven is the key word, the answer to 1 is no, 2 is not at the CFL level, and 3 would be maybe...  ok, thanks!  I like JSK, he's fiesty and a big hitter, I'd like to see him work his way into that position, just unsure if he's ready now or not... and I do think think the defense in some part goes as the MLB goes... meaning, the better he is the better the overall defense can be...

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »

I think it's part of Walter's 'style' of leadership... coming off as comfortable and confident, never showing a sense of urgency... good leaders do that publicly to give those around him confidence and the belief that he believes in them and their abilities... you don't want to start any self doubt in those that you already have, especially if you're unable to acquire anyone else for the position...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 66
  Print  

Jump to: