Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2018, 11:05:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg Blue Bombers sign Winnipeg-born running back Kienan LaFrance  (Read 4056 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« on: February 13, 2018, 06:47:48 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers sign Winnipeg-born running back Kienan LaFrance

WINNIPEG, MB., February 13, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed national running back Kienan LaFrance to a one-year contract. The Winnipeg-born, University of Manitoba Bisons product spent last season with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

LaFrance (5-9, 205, Manitoba, June 16, 1991 in Winnipeg, MB) was originally selected in the sixth round, 45th overall, by Ottawa in the 2015 CFL Draft. LaFrance enters his fourth CFL season in 2018 and has recorded 111 carries for 453 yards and two touchdowns, while also registering 28 receptions for 200 yards and two touchdowns.

LaFrance was crucial in Ottawa's Grey Cup run in 2016. He rushed 25 times for 157 yards with a touchdown and a two-point convert to help the REDBLACKS defeat the Edmonton Eskimos 35-23 in the East Division Final, and followed up his East Final performance by carrying the ball 11 times for 42 yards while adding six receptions for 31 yards in the Grey Cup win.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
the paw

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:49:38 PM »

Hope it wasn't for crazy money.

But I have to think Timothy Flanders is looking around and wondering ***....  Demski and LaFrance basically put him out of business. 

grab grass 'n growl
'16 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab Black Out Edition

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:06 PM »

I would assume that this means Normand is probably gone... how much do you think LaFrance cost?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn17

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:14 PM »

I'm willing to give him a chance but I hope he came really cheap.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »

Sweet. Another signing that makes sense for us. Walters is really committing to NIs on offense. LaFrance can spell off Harris or platoon with Flanders for short stretches. From an insurance standpoint, If Harris gets hurt, Flanders becomes the feature back and LaFrance becomes the new Flanders. That's better than last year's solution.
GCn17

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:51:06 PM »

I would assume that this means Normand is probably gone... how much do you think LaFrance cost?

I'm hoping league minimum.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
kkc60

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 06:51:08 PM »

According to Jeff Hamilton, it's 80k. Not bad
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 06:51:33 PM »

That's great value.
GCn17

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »

A touch too high but I can live with it I guess.

bluengold204

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »

*** is walters doing?
TBURGESS

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 06:52:23 PM »

80K seems about right for a backup NI RB.

Being right never gets old.
GCn17

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 06:53:43 PM »

80K seems about right for a backup NI RB.

Yeah...I guess if you're going to sign one that's about what it will cost you. Just not sure why we signed one. He better be a ST demon for us this year.

kkc60

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 06:55:01 PM »

*** is walters doing?
If Walters doesn't bring in a premier or above average DB, my thoughts will align with yours. That being said, NAT receivers and RBs are far from easy to obtain
Curling4Me

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 06:55:06 PM »

Hope it wasn't for crazy money.

But I have to think Timothy Flanders is looking around and wondering ***....  Demski and LaFrance basically put him out of business. 

Demski replaces Feoli-Gudino and Lafrance takes over for Normand. All this does is give the Bombers a dedicated tailback backup on the depth chart.

"Nobody sitting now in Winnipeg. Mcmanus for Amerson PICKED OFF ITS OVER NOW JURAN BOLDEN TOUCHDOWN WINNIPEG."
Chris Cuthbert
the paw

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 06:55:41 PM »

Sweet. Another signing that makes sense for us. Walters is really committing to NIs on offense. LaFrance can spell off Harris or platoon with Flanders for short stretches. From an insurance standpoint, If Harris gets hurt, Flanders becomes the feature back and LaFrance becomes the new Flanders. That's better than last year's solution.

I think this pushes Flanders to the PR.  Lafrance can back up Harris, and Demski will be the new slot receiver.  

I think this allows us 6 legit starters on O, which reduces the need to sign a NI DT.  That frees up cash for a MLB.  

grab grass 'n growl
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »

He can learn a lot from Harris. I like this signing at this price.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 06:56:46 PM »

This resolves the ratio issue of starting 2 Canadian receivers.  If Harris gets injured in-game, we are now covered.  
kkc60

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 06:57:22 PM »

I think this pushes Flanders to the PR.  Lafrance can back up Harris, and Demski will be the new slot receiver.  

I think this allows us 6 legit starters on O, which reduces the need to sign a NI DT.  That frees up cash for a MLB.  
I think it just makes Flanders a scratch. I would be surprised if he would accept a PR spot
bigbuff33

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 06:58:59 PM »

Two good signings so far...

But...MLB and DB...gotta sign one or both...
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »

I think it just makes Flanders a scratch. I would be surprised if he would accept a PR spot

He could just go to 2 man reserve.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 07:05:51 PM »

I can't see it, signing Demski and LeFrance changes little except improving Natl. talent over Normand and JFG.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 07:08:40 PM »

I'd be really surprised if it pushed Flanders off the roster. This is more of a depth signing which gives us someone who can spell off Harris. I don't think LaFrance is capable of starting but he could certainly play the role of Flanders if Flanders suddenly finds himself the lead dog in the backfield.
booch

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 07:09:11 PM »

pretty much....Lafrance takes Normands spot...and will probably get more touches in a game than he ever did...Demski has replaced Coates/JFG as our 1A option for a Canadian receiver.

I fully expect us to have only 1 starting Canadian receiver and 2 Canadians on defese...just who it is yet has to be decided...I still think we land Westerman....and if he bolts Mraubre
GCn17

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 07:09:59 PM »

I can't see it, signing Demski and LeFrance changes little except improving Natl. talent over Normand and JFG.

Definitely an upgrade with Demski over JFG but it came at a cost....LaFrance being an upgrade over Normand is highly debateable.
I'm not a big fan of Walters FA strategy thus far.

the paw

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 07:12:49 PM »

You really can't see it?  They are paying Demski $150k to start, he is the #4 receiver.  So, not room in the slot for Flanders.  JFG had already lost his job to Coates, he's irrelevant.  They are going to start Demski and Coates.  

Lafrance is going to back up Harris, which Flanders used to do.  If they are paying Lafrance $80k (at least $20k more than Normand) then he better be the first man off the bench if Harris goes down.  

I don't see much room for Flanders on the active roster.

grab grass 'n growl
gbill2004

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 07:14:06 PM »

You really can't see it?  They are paying Demski $150k to start, he is the #4 receiver.  So, not room in the slot for Flanders.  JFG had already lost his job to Coates, he's irrelevant.  They are going to start Demski and Coates.  

Lafrance is going to back up Harris, which Flanders used to do.  If they are paying Lafrance $80k (at least $20k more than Normand) then he better be the first man off the bench if Harris goes down.  

Flanders might be the 5th receiver if we re-sign Westerman.
GCn17

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 07:15:05 PM »

Yep...it's why I hate the idea of going 2 NAT receivers.

Jesse

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »

pretty much....Lafrance takes Normands spot...and will probably get more touches in a game than he ever did...Demski has replaced Coates/JFG as our 1A option for a Canadian receiver.

I fully expect us to have only 1 starting Canadian receiver and 2 Canadians on defese...just who it is yet has to be decided...I still think we land Westerman....and if he bolts Mraubre

I don?t know why we?d be willingly downgrading our offence if it wasn?t to make up for the ratio loss in losing Westerman. Demski makes sense, but signing LaFrance looks to me like they?re committing to keeping an extra Canadian on offence (which I hate, btw).

gbill2004

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 07:17:37 PM »

I don?t know why we?d be willingly downgrading our offence if it wasn?t to make up for the ratio loss in losing Westerman. Demski makes sense, but signing LaFrance looks to me like they?re committing to keeping an extra Canadian on offence (which I hate, btw).

In theory it allows us to improve the D with more Americans. But I?m not seeing those improvements yet.
GCn17

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 07:19:23 PM »

Losing Flanders will be a big blow. I really can't see Walters not signing a NAT for our defence.

gbill2004

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 07:20:22 PM »

More from Derek Taylor: With the Bombers signing @KDidely, does that mean @TFlanders405 starts at receiver? Flanders at the Field-3 spot with Dressler at 2 maybe?
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 07:20:41 PM »

LaFrance would be an improvement over Flanders.  Good money well spent.
the paw

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 07:21:20 PM »

Flanders might be the 5th receiver if we re-sign Westerman.

Where would he line up?  You aren't going to stick Flanders way out on the boundary.  I don't want to bump Bowman, Dressler, Demski or Adams out there either. And if you keep Flanders dressed, you want to play him.  If he is going to spell Harris, why would we increase our costs $20k by picking up Lafrance over Normand?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see how he gets used.    

grab grass 'n growl
GCn17

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »

More from Derek Taylor: With the Bombers signing @KDidely, does that mean @TFlanders405 starts at receiver? Flanders at the Field-3 spot with Dressler at 2 maybe?

It could mean that if we sign another NAT starter on D.

gbill2004

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »

Flanders is miles more talented than Lafrance.
Jesse

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 07:22:20 PM »

In theory it allows us to improve the D with more Americans. But I?m not seeing those improvements yet.

I don?t think D has taken a hit at all. We have replacements for Westerman, they?re just American. I think our DL will be as good or better without Thomas and Westerman. It?s simply a ratio thing. Not to mention no Sam Hurl (still the potential that he is signed as a rotational guy).

It?s like you?ve never seen either of them play....
Jesse

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 07:23:19 PM »

Where would he line up?  You aren't going to stick Flanders way out on the boundary.  I don't want to bump Bowman, Dressler, Demski or Adams out there either. And if you keep Flanders dressed, you want to play him.  If he is going to spell Harris, why would we increase our costs $20k by picking up Lafrance over Normand?

Flanders never played every snap. He can rotate in like he always has.
gbill2004

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 07:23:59 PM »

I don?t think D has taken a hit at all. We have replacements for Westerman, they?re just American. I think our DL will be as good or better without Thomas and Westerman. It?s simply a ratio thing. Not to mention no Sam Hurl (still the potential that he is signed as a rotational guy).

It?s like you?ve never seen either of them play....
Our D talent wise right now is status quo. Minus Heath. That?s worse. But I?m optimistic there will be some signings.
the paw

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 07:30:55 PM »

Flanders never played every snap. He can rotate in like he always has.

No offence, but that's a kind of specious answer. 

Rotate in for who?  If he is a DI, he has to take off an INT.  That means you are sitting Bowman, Dressler or Adams.  It was no big deal if he would come in for Washington or Givens, but if you are taking one of the big three off for Flanders, that's a tactical error.

The only way he rotates in freely is if we start 8 Cdns, which means 2 on D.  It doesn't look like Westerman is coming back, and Laurent, Evans and Konar are all gone.  That leaves Sam Hurl, Murabe or maybe Steele as your second starter.  I'm not crazy about that.   

grab grass 'n growl
TBURGESS

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 07:33:44 PM »

Our D talent wise right now is status quo. Minus Heath. That?s worse. But I?m optimistic there will be some signings.
Status Quo? Health's an all star. Westerman was the western MOC candidate in 2015 and a NI who plays like an import in  2016/17. Hurl - We could be better without him. Gaitor and Clark are additions. Sounds like a bunch of changes to me.

GCn17

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 07:35:23 PM »

No offence, but that's a kind of specious answer. 

Rotate in for who?  If he is a DI, he has to take off an INT.  That means you are sitting Bowman, Dressler or Adams.  It was no big deal if he would come in for Washington or Givens, but if you are taking one of the big three off for Flanders, that's a tactical error.

The only way he rotates in freely is if we start 8 Cdns, which means 2 on D.  It doesn't look like Westerman is coming back, and Laurent, Evans and Konar are all gone.  That leaves Sam Hurl, Murabe or maybe Steele as your second starter.  I'm not crazy about that.   

Yea...or if we get lucky in the draft I guess, but right now it's not looking good.

TBURGESS

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 07:38:46 PM »

Bombers add Chandler Fenner... Darrin Bauming #Bombers add a talented defensive back in 6?1? 190lb American Chandler Fenner. Two-year deal for the two-year @CFL vet.

kkc60

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »

Bombers add Chandler Fenner... Darrin Bauming #Bombers add a talented defensive back in 6?1? 190lb American Chandler Fenner. Two-year deal for the two-year @CFL vet.
Not my first choice, but definitely a good signing. We need as much experience and depth as possible heading into TC
thunderNlightning

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 07:42:31 PM »

Lets be realistic here, Harris has been seeing a lot of action past couple  years and is not getting any younger. I think spelling him off at times with Lafrance is going to help keep him fresher and healthy for a full season.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »

The point has been argued repeatedly but I don't see them starting 2 Natl. receivers.  They probably will eventually sign at least one more Natl. for the D-line with the default option being Thomas. 
Horseman

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 08:30:33 PM »

The point has been argued repeatedly but I don't see them starting 2 Natl. receivers.  They probably will eventually sign at least one more Natl. for the D-line with the default option being Thomas. 

I would like to see Ese Mrabure or Darryl Waud signed for the DL before Thomas.
the paw

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »

I don't agree that's the way the tea leaves read, but yes, if they want to sit Coates they would have to have another NI starter on D, and DT is the most likely place. 

Personally, I think that Murabe is too light, and Waud's injury is a question mark.  And if they were happy with Ekakitie/Thomas rotation, they would never have let Thomas get to free agency.  I mean, we had those two guys last year, and we are losing Westerman.  That is a net loss to the D-line.  I also think we would not have extended Nevis if we were looking to go NI at the DT spot.  But, I could be wrong, I'm just not following the logic....

grab grass 'n growl
gbill2004

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »

I don't agree that's the way the tea leaves read, but yes, if they want to sit Coates they would have to have another NI starter on D, and DT is the most likely place. 

Personally, I think that Murabe is too light, and Waud's injury is a question mark.  And if they were happy with Ekakitie/Thomas rotation, they would never have let Thomas get to free agency.  I mean, we had those two guys last year, and we are losing Westerman.  That is a net loss to the D-line.  I also think we would not have extended Nevis if we were looking to go NI at the DT spot.  But, I could be wrong, I'm just not following the logic....
Eddie Steele is still available.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 08:42:21 PM »

All of the Winnipeggers!
Horseman

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »

You can also add Evan Gill.
gbill2004

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 08:44:19 PM »

You can also add Evan Gill.
Is Gill ever not injured?  No thanks.
Horseman

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »

Is Gill ever not injured?  No thanks.

No I didn`t say I wanted him here, my point was he is a Winnipegger who is available.
gbill2004

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 08:46:01 PM »

No I didn`t say I wanted him here, my point was he is a Winnipegger who is available.
Gotcha. I was suggesting Steele because he?s a legit option as a Canadian starter.
RebusRankin

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 08:55:47 PM »

So you get the heir apparent to Harris, who gives you excellent insurance, plus a guy who can lessen Harris's load so he's fresh for the playoffs and people are ********?
gbill2004

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »

So you get the heir apparent to Harris, who gives you excellent insurance, plus a guy who can lessen Harris's load so he's fresh for the playoffs and people are ********?
Lafrance is a plodder, but I guess it helps with the ratio.
booch

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 08:58:38 PM »

he won't be the heir apparent...he is an adequate in game back-up....but when it comes time for Harris to hang em up...or maybe switch to a slotback role later in his career then we switch ratio and go import at RB
blue girl

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 10:27:16 PM »

IMO this is a depth signing. LaFrance can backup Harris if he gets injured in a game. Good signing.

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 10:34:41 PM »

IMO this is a depth signing. LaFrance can backup Harris if he gets injured in a game. Good signing.

and maintain ratio if Harris needs a breather from time to time during a game...

Blue In BC

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 10:36:12 PM »

and maintain ratio if Harris needs a breather from time to time during a game...

I think it more likely that would be when Flanders goes in at RB and we use a 2nd Canadian receiver.

Of course this suggests we're only already starting 1 Canadian receiver and that may not be the case.

Flanders has proven to be a threat as a RB & receiver whereas any current choice of 2nd Canadian receiver not so much.

Part of the question becomes whether Flanders is a DI or even makes the 44 AR. Initially I would have expected a pure receiver: White, Givens, Lankford, JSW, a rookie in that order.

Of course they may plan to give Flanders more reps at SB so he could be an either or sort of player.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:39:33 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »

I think it more likely that would be when Flanders goes in at RB and we use a 2nd Canadian receiver.

Of course this suggests we're only already starting 1 Canadian receiver and that may not be the case.

Probably both options could be correct. Part of Walters' job is to give the coaching staff options. The 2nd Canadian receiver will be an option but it doesn't mean it will be our only.
gbill2004

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 10:39:22 PM »

Probably both options could be correct. Part of Walters' job is to give the coaching staff options. The 2nd Canadian receiver will be an option but it doesn't mean it will be our only.
Yes this would be ideal.
Blue In BC

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »

Except it's appearing we will start 2 Canadian receivers which eliminates that rotation change. At the moment it's the ratio option due to losing Westerman. Also a better current option to having to start the possible Canadians on defense.

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »

Flanders has proven to be a threat as a RB & receiver whereas any current choice of 2nd Canadian receiver not so much.

Part of the question becomes whether Flanders is a DI or even makes the 44 AR. Initially I would have expected a pure receiver: White, Givens, Lankford, JSW, a rookie in that order.

Of course they may plan to give Flanders more reps at SB so he could be an either or sort of player.

I just don't see the need for Flanders anymore. LaFrance is a NAT, gives us NAT depth and ratio insurance in the event others go down, plus will greatly benefit from the reps at RB development wise. He and Flanders have similar styles and stats. I think this may be the most underrated signing today.
gbill2004

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 11:53:39 PM »

I just don't see the need for Flanders anymore. LaFrance is a NAT, gives us NAT depth and ratio insurance in the event others go down, plus will greatly benefit from the reps at RB development wise. He and Flanders have similar styles and stats. I think this may be the most underrated signing today.
Flanders and Lafrance are not similar. Flanders is much more dynamic and talented. Lafrance is a plodder. Have you actually watched them play in a game?
dd

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »

Yes I have. Seem to recall LaFrance running wild a year ago in the playoffs.

Are you going to take of Bowman, Adams or Dressler for Flanders---not a chance. Harris needs a breather, LaFrance is going in and our big receiving guns remain on the field and we roll on. If we get injuries, different story, but as it stands, I don't see him bumping anyone off the field.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2018, 12:20:01 AM »

Yes I have. Seem to recall LaFrance running wild a year ago in the playoffs.

Are you going to take of Bowman, Adams or Dressler for Flanders---not a chance. Harris needs a breather, LaFrance is going in and our big receiving guns remain on the field and we roll on. If we get injuries, different story, but as it stands, I don't see him bumping anyone off the field.

And that was one game. One. Aside from that, when else has he ran wild?

I'm excited about the LaFrance signing, too. But pump the brakes and realize Flanders is still the better tailback.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2018, 12:27:40 AM »

I'm excited about the LaFrance signing, too. But pump the brakes and realize Flanders is still the better tailback.

It's not even close in talent between the two.  Lafrance in the playoffs was in a snowstorm too.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2018, 01:55:54 AM »

great depth signing and good for the future

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
dd

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 01:57:45 AM »

He is the better back, but I'd rather have Bowman and LaFrance on the field vs Coates and Flanders. We'll see what the coaches sort out, nice problem to have just the same, shows the depth and options we have now.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 02:52:22 AM »

Talent-wise it's not even close, there is almost no drop off in ability between Flanders and Harris.  Harris is established as "the man" and he does not come off the field unless he is unable to walk.  The last time he was subbed regularly was in BC and he sure din't like it, that's one of the reasons he now plays for Wpg.  F.A. is not over, they would be foolish not to carry enough Natl. depth on the D side to plug in another Natl. to better balance the ratio.  My guess would be on the D-line.
Pigskin

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2018, 02:56:14 AM »

Lafrance is an insurance policy for Harris.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »

You guys are all wrong on LaFrance.  I'll bet in 2-3 years he'll be a top-5 RB, and top-3 NAT RB in the CFL.  Harris says he has big potential, I believe Harris.  I predict he has a better-than-average '18, definitely a personal record year.  Give the kid a chance.  Lots of room for growth, and you can't ask for a better mentor than Harris.

Love this signing.  And $80k?  Complete steal.  Hope they lock him in for 2 years when he's proven himself by mid-season.
GCn17

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »

You guys are all wrong on LaFrance.  I'll bet in 2-3 years he'll be a top-5 RB, and top-3 NAT RB in the CFL.  Harris says he has big potential, I believe Harris.  I predict he has a better-than-average '18, definitely a personal record year.  Give the kid a chance.  Lots of room for growth, and you can't ask for a better mentor than Harris.

Love this signing.  And $80k?  Complete steal.  Hope they lock him in for 2 years when he's proven himself by mid-season.

We can only base our opinions on what we have seen with our own eyes, if you want to base yours on a hunch...be my guest...but don't say we're all wrong until your hunch actually comes to fruition.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »

I doubt it. That would be an odd trajectory for a running back. He'll be 27 this spring. In 2 or 3 years, he'll be 30. It's now or never for his effectiveness I think.
gbill2004

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »

I doubt it. That would be an odd trajectory for a running back. He'll be 27 this spring. In 2 or 3 years, he'll be 30. It's now or never for his effectiveness I think.
He's a plodder. He had one good game a couple years ago in the playoffs where there was a ton of snow on the field.  The Riders paid a premium for that one game an they now realized who he really is, and released him.  I hear he plays some special teams, so he adds some value there, and as an in-game replacement if Harris gets injured. 
GCn17

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »

Yea...I doubt the Bombers master plan is for LaFrance to take over from Harris someday. I hope he proves us all wrong and goes on to be a great NAT RB...but like SBG says...it's now or never for that.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »

He's a plodder. He had one good game a couple years ago in the playoffs where there was a ton of snow on the field.  The Riders paid a premium for that one game an they now realized who he really is, and released him.  I hear he plays some special teams, so he adds some value there, and as an in-game replacement if Harris gets injured. 

I agree, and I'll add, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's a role we really needed filled.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »

Sure he has that potential, especially if Harris is his mentor and he's highly motivated but he's not going to break out this year.  Good addition and a great weapon to add to the O in certain situations, hopefully he has good hands.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2018, 03:17:50 PM »

My guess.

Demski, will be the starter at SB. May get some touches on the wideout and some touches as a RB/trick plays.
Flanders, will be a DI on the depth chart behind Demski. He will play as an RB or SB.

I like that Harris, Flanders and Demski will keep opposing D guessing who's running the ball.

LaFrance will be on the roster as backup RB and may get limited touches (like Normand). He may get a look as KR and play ST.
If Normand re-signs, LaFrance might see himself on the PR or hidden on the IR.

GCn17

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »

My guess.

Demski, will be the starter at SB. May get some touches on the wideout and some touches as a RB/trick plays.
Flanders, will be a DI on the depth chart behind Demski. He will play as an RB or SB.

I like that Harris, Flanders and Demski will keep opposing D guessing who's running the ball.

LaFrance will be on the roster as backup RB and may get limited touches (like Normand). He may get a look as KR and play ST.
If Normand re-signs, LaFrance might see himself on the PR or hidden on the IR.

Demski fits our offence perfectly. Another outlet for our ball control game.

The Doctor of All Things Football

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »

What are the chances more winnipegers join the team? I saw Evan gill is a free agent. Has barely played in the CFL due to injuries but he was drafted high. He was great for the bisons and almost went to the NFL. I think it might be worth it bringing him in for a non expensive contract.
gbill2004

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2018, 08:43:27 PM »

What are the chances more winnipegers join the team? I saw Evan gill is a free agent. Has barely played in the CFL due to injuries but he was drafted high. He was great for the bisons and almost went to the NFL. I think it might be worth it bringing him in for a non expensive contract.
Practice roster at most.  Guy can?t stay healthy.
The Doctor of All Things Football

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2018, 08:45:46 PM »

I agree. Give him a chance on the practice roster and if he succeeds we could sign him to the main roster.
Blue72

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2018, 08:51:47 PM »

Thomas Miles is from Winnipeg our backup MLB
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:54:46 PM by Blue72 » Logged
gbill2004

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2018, 09:12:24 PM »

Thomas Miles is from Winnipeg our backup MLB
I'm a big fan of Miles. He's probably better than Hurl. 
TecnoGenius

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2018, 12:48:12 AM »

The EPSN Classic (I think) channel (whatever is included with the TSN packages on the new Shaw BlueSky) had the GC '16 game on 1-2 weeks back.  I just had a chance to watch it for the first time in over a year...

I have no idea why some guys here write off LaFrance as a "plodder".  I carefully watched his play in the game, and he seemed quite good.  Got a number of conversions on medium/long, good 1st down production.  He struck me as a skinnier Harris.  He also seemed more like a hole-finder than a (Harris) demon plower.  There were a couple of times he did the NFL-esque pause & look, then cut into the hole; somewhat unique for CFL.

He was quite fast, quite nimble, and seemed talented at picking the best path.  He's more like a Flanders than a Harris in that regard.

On the downside, he didn't seem to be much of a spinner or shaker or pinballer; so he either had to elude first contact or minimize its impact by getting smaller and out of the way.  I'm sure he could improve this though, if he starts beefing up his legs to Harris level and learning Harris' baby-steps-when-being-tackled tricks.  And spins.

All in all I was quite impressed.  He didn't win the game for them, but he did chip in his non-insignificant part to get the win.

I don't think he was a flash-in-the-pan in the snow '16 EF game.  The GC proves it, and you can bet CGY D was keeping close tabs on him after the EF performance, so it's not like he was ignored and had it easy.  Not sure what happened to him in '17, probably just not used properly or given enough reps.  But now I'm quite confident that he's more than a "plodder" and will be quite an asset for WBB, hopefully for many years to come, and I firmly believe he will become The Heir To Harris.

P.S. Love love love the comments LaPo has been making about 2 or 3 RB/TB formations.  We are going to destroy D's if they get the play action / RPO working with 3 backs, especially if they master the deception on the handoffs.  Heck, with Dress back there in the slot you can essentially have 4 "backs" 2 on opposite sweeps, 1 up the gut, and one play action for a dump pass.  LaPo must be lovin' it!!!

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2018, 04:49:41 AM »

how do you think that will effect Harris' game? from what I've gathered here, Harris likes a lot of touches. Do you think that it could hurt his game overall if running these 2 and 3 back formations results in a significant reduction in his touches? Because with this, coupled with the more than likely reduction in pass touches as well... he could be looking at a lot fewer opportunities.

Now granted, I think that serves him well, especially if he wants to squeeze more than a couple of meaningful years out of his body. Because that man runs violently, lol... I'm not sure he can withstand another 300 touch year to be quite honest.

I'm glad to hear what you had to say about LaFrance, because I was really concerned that if we have to cut Flanders, the drop off I would have expected with LaFrance was huge. Maybe with a little mentoring and a good offensive line in front of him he plays out well.  Still a little worried, especially given the fact that Flanders has proven to be a good, productive back... But, I don't see how we keep him if we don't create some flexibility with the ratio. Even then, it may be difficult...

Another thing, I'm on one of ESPN's channel daily and they do a ton of cross promoting programming... never once did I hear about that game being broadcast... ESPN does a terrible job of promoting the CFL games they do show...  My biggest pet peeve with them though, they are even worse at scheduling... big fan of the 30 for 30 films, and they never start on time, and usually because they are airing some other show that they aired 6 times already that day because a game ran over earlier... ugh!

TecnoGenius

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2018, 05:19:03 AM »

how do you think that will effect Harris' game? from what I've gathered here, Harris likes a lot of touches. Do you think that it could hurt his game overall if running these 2 and 3 back formations results in a significant reduction in his touches? Because with this, coupled with the more than likely reduction in pass touches as well... he could be looking at a lot fewer opportunities.

I would suspect Harris will love sharing the touches.  This can only help Harris, and the team.  Sure, Harris will probably never see 1k/1k, but that's not what he (or anyone) is after.  He has his eye on the GC ring(s!).

You are completely right in that it'll be easier on Harris' body.  And not just because it reduces his touches; It'll help by opening holes for him because it'll be hard to key in on him like they did in 2nd half of '17. It'll be so funny to watch LaPo exploiting this.  They'll key on Harris for 5 plays while you give the ball to the other runners/sweepers.  Then when they relax on Harris, you hand it to him to pound twice and it'll be a piece of cake, maybe one man to make miss.  Then they key on Harris again and you rinse & repeat.  It'll be fun to watch.

I think Harris is a lifer here.  And I think Harris doesn't have to worry about taking a pay cut because his stats may be lower: everyone will know what value he provides in the new role and he'll keep the monster payday.  It'll be like Cornish in his last year (though hopefully Harris does it for 2-3+).

Also, Harris wouldn't have championed getting LaFrance here if he didn't think it was best for him & the team.

I'm glad to hear what you had to say about LaFrance, because I was really concerned that if we have to cut Flanders, the drop off I would have expected with LaFrance was huge. Maybe with a little mentoring and a good offensive line in front of him he plays out well.  Still a little worried, especially given the fact that Flanders has proven to be a good, productive back... But, I don't see how we keep him if we don't create some flexibility with the ratio. Even then, it may be difficult...

Well, since everyone's convinced Muamba is coming, I think that means Flanders is likely staying.  In fact, even if Henoc doesn't put on Blue&Gold, I'd give even money Flanders is staying.  Now how often he's on the field... his reps will certainly increase if Muamba is our MLB.  I so love the idea of 4 or 5 of the 5 Harris/LaFrance/Demski/Flanders/Dressler in the backfield/slot simultaneously, with Adams/Bowman/LDW wide/deep.  The backfield guys mostly run, with some short passes, and a few mid-passes to keep them guessing.  The big guys do the deep balls and a few mid-passes.  I think we play to our new strengths and become a run/shortpass/deeppass focussed team, with much less in the dangerous middle which never worked too well for us anyhow.

Another thing, I'm on one of ESPN's channel daily and they do a ton of cross promoting programming... never once did I hear about that game being broadcast... ESPN does a terrible job of promoting the CFL games they do show...  My biggest pet peeve with them though, they are even worse at scheduling... big fan of the 30 for 30 films, and they never start on time, and usually because they are airing some other show that they aired 6 times already that day because a game ran over earlier... ugh!

It was on 2 or 3 times over a week, my PVR caught the first one (just program it to record anything with *CFL* using wildcards, if yours can do that, and have it re-record repeats).  It was the first time a) I saw ESPN on my cable package, and b) I saw CFL on ESPN  Cheesy  Strange, but for some reason the ESPN version of it had the audio such that the crowd was very loud compared to the announcers, who 50% of the time weren't audible.

While I have your ear, after watching the NFL playoffs & SB, I find it very odd that the NFL shows about 1/5 the number of replays the CFL shows.  CFL will replay anything remotely good (catch/run/etc), and almost everything controversial (penalties, etc), and even boring plays when there's time (during injuries, ref conference, etc).

The NFL really only replays spectacular plays and challenges/reviews.  The difference is really noticeable.  And the NFL commentator guys will almost never contradict a bad call or even say it's iffy.  The CFL guys do this all the time.

Watching the NFL playoffs I'd sit there thinking "hold? show me the hold!", and they never did.  CFL always shows the hold, and then comments on if it's real or bunk.

It's doubly odd because the NFL has 30s playclock and so should have theoretically more time to put in replays, but they don't!  The commercials are definitely longer and more numerous, so maybe that's the cause.

I just find it strange, and think the CFL does it waaay better.
dd

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2018, 04:52:42 PM »

I think the CFL goes further to trying to get the play right than the NFL, and has implemented and adapted its famous challenge system. The concept is good---get the play right, but it was a shame that some coaches used it for fishing for calls away from the play and it slowed the pace down to a snails pace.

I think the CFL has got it right now, or close to right. Officials miss calls all the time---and the NFL officials are just as inconsistent/bad as the CFL officials (remember the Green Bay/Seahawks game when one official signalled TD the other interception?!?!), its just the CFL holds the officials more accountable than the NFL does---they think their officials don't miss calls, they're mistaken.
bluengold204

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2018, 08:30:58 PM »

I think the CFL goes further to trying to get the play right than the NFL, and has implemented and adapted its famous challenge system. The concept is good---get the play right, but it was a shame that some coaches used it for fishing for calls away from the play and it slowed the pace down to a snails pace.

I think the CFL has got it right now, or close to right. Officials miss calls all the time---and the NFL officials are just as inconsistent/bad as the CFL officials (remember the Green Bay/Seahawks game when one official signalled TD the other interception?!?!), its just the CFL holds the officials more accountable than the NFL does---they think their officials don't miss calls, they're mistaken.

Not 100% sure but I believe that was when NFL refs were on strike and they had replacement officials.  If memory serves correctly the NFL and the refs settled the day after that call was made.
DM83

« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2018, 12:23:16 AM »

I am also an amateur football ref. One of the things emphasized is that it is one guys primary call. (Back judge. Has dead ball end line of the End zone)  the Headlinesman has the sideline) Now if the BJ is watching something else ( receivers in fron. Of him, or is blocked out) and doesn't get there in time, the sideline guy,,also has responsibility to be in position to make a call.

Correct protocol is for both refs,to,make Eye,contact , nod the call as a catch or not and make the signal.  If the one guy had not seen it, he lets the other ref know, and then they go with the guy who saw it.

What happened in the NFL game was b.s.
PurpleReign

« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2018, 12:59:46 AM »

LaFrance was cheap and a descent pickup. He is okay but not spectacular, he is not Harris's future replacement. I would love for Alex Taylor to get drafted by the Bombers.  Much better upside than LaFrance.  I hear Alex has some NFL interest.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:01:19 AM by PurpleReign » Logged
dd

« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2018, 02:17:46 AM »

I am also an amateur football ref. One of the things emphasized is that it is one guys primary call. (Back judge. Has dead ball end line of the End zone)  the Headlinesman has the sideline) Now if the BJ is watching something else ( receivers in fron. Of him, or is blocked out) and doesn't get there in time, the sideline guy,,also has responsibility to be in position to make a call.

Correct protocol is for both refs,to,make Eye,contact , nod the call as a catch or not and make the signal.  If the one guy had not seen it, he lets the other ref know, and then they go with the guy who saw it.

What happened in the NFL game was b.s.
Check your mechanics son. Your Headlinesman is back at the LOS in a 7 man crew, and its  your side judge or field judge that has the sideline in the end zone. Amateur ref indeed.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: