Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2018, 09:04:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Kate  (Read 581 times)
Pigskin

« on: February 13, 2018, 03:23:33 PM »

How about Kate. Back to back Olympic gold medals.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 04:01:35 PM »

Pretty awesome. The whole mixed double thing is sort of a newfangled idea but it was alright - I watched the semi-final. Apparently, they only practiced once before the Canadians trails so I'm not sure if that adds to the accomplishment or takes away from it. I thought the powerplay was a kind of odd idea. Either way, awesome for her and good for Canada.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:48:36 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:17:41 AM »

Laws?

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
BomberPride

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 02:01:01 PM »

Everyone made Jones the villain when she brought Lawes in after dropping Cathy O from the squad. Skips make changes all the time, and how Cathy O went crying to the media was sour grapes. Lawes was young, but very talented. She matured so well and just a solid player.

Another gold medal to her resume - haters can suck it.

Pretty awesome. The whole mixed double thing is sort of a newfangled idea but it was alright - I watched the semi-final. Apparently, they only practiced once before the Canadians trails so I'm not sure if that adds to the accomplishment or takes away from it. I thought the powerplay was a kind of odd idea. Either way, awesome for her and good for Canada.

Lawes and Morris have played together before - they usually get paired up for the mixed doubles event for the Continental Cup.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:41:09 PM by BomberPride » Logged

What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »

Everyone made Jones the villain when she brought Lawes in after dropping Cathy O from the squad. Skips make changes all the time, and how Cathy O went crying to the media was sour grapes. Lawes was young, but very talented. She matured so well and just a solid player.

Another gold medal to her resume - haters can suck it.

Lawes and Morris have played together before - they usually get paired up for the mixed doubles event for the Continental Cup.

It's almost unfathomable to consider that, just two months ago, Lawes and Morris weren't even a team. They were so focused on their respective four-person rinks' Olympic pursuits that they hadn't really prepared for mixed doubles.

They practised once, for about 30 minutes in Winnipeg, before the Canadian mixed doubles trials in Portage la Prairie, Man., last month. It didn't start well there. They were 2-3 after five games. But after that, they would only lose one more time in the trials ? in the non-elimination 1 vs. 2 playoff game.

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/morris-and-lawes-kept-their-heads-and-made-canadian-curling-history.html
Pigskin

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 04:43:17 PM »

Homan and Morris were paired up for the last year. Homan is 0-3 at the O. Jennifer and Kate are at the O, maybe they should jump in. lol
theaardvark

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 05:09:34 PM »

Hmmm.. maybe we can get Tonya Harding's contact list, and get Kate inserted as an injury replacement...

Just kidding, but its really looking dark for a medal already, 3 games in and no wins.  Sure, Homan is elite, but her game is way off right now.  Maybe we can blame Norovirus...

A poker buddy has a 9-1 bet for Canada gold in all three curling disciplines... he wasn't too happy last night watching the game...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »

I think Homan did herself a lot of damage in the curling world by removing Denmark's rock.

BomberPride

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »

I think Homan did herself a lot of damage in the curling world by removing Denmark's rock.

Eh - its not against the rules, what she did.

What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?
Pigskin

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 02:16:36 PM »

It not against the rules, but it was cheap. And then karma, no medal.
theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »

Its a stupid rule to leave it up to the opponent to decide the rock's fate.  I would declare, ahead of any ruling, that any infraction will result in the removal of the rock.  State it up front, and there is no issue.  Leaving it for an in game decision, and this is the controversy.

Its like in poker.  I play some home games where they like to "run it twice" or more, to even out variance.  The hand goes from only one result to having the pot split into two or more pots, and run out the cards for each pot separately.   I always declare that I only run it once at the start of the game, so as to take the opponents factoring in of that variable out of his decision making process.  If they think I'll run it three times, they may call with a hand that they can get paid off a partial pot with on one of the runs.  If they know that I will only run it once, that decision may change.

Knowing Homan will only ever remove a burnt stone makes that a fact, a rule, and not a decision.  You declare a rock burnt and out it goes.  No bad guy.  Just enforcement of the rules.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: