Blue Bombers Forum
December 13, 2018, 11:14:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Redblacks release Drew Tate & sign Dom Davis  (Read 2570 times)
gbill2004

« on: February 12, 2018, 02:34:55 PM »

The @REDBLACKS release QB Drew Tate and sign former #Bombers QB Dom Davis
gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »

From Herb: Redblacks have released QB Drew Tate. Wonder if #Als might have an interest?
booch

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »

Good for Dom....I bet Kavis is all over this....well...he should be
gbill2004

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »

This will free up some money for Ottawa in free agency. Might be time for Tate to call it a career. 
BlueInCgy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 02:42:23 PM »

This will free up some money for Ottawa in free agency. Might be time for Tate to call it a career. 

Nah, he's gotten used to getting paid for never having to do anything.  He'll resurface, either with Montreal immediately, or BC if they don't get Lulay signed up (or his rehab takes longer than expected).
GCn18

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »

Tate was commanding 200k+ for his services, so it's no big shocker to see him released.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
gbill2004

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 02:52:26 PM »

Nah, he's gotten used to getting paid for never having to do anything.  He'll resurface, either with Montreal immediately, or BC if they don't get Lulay signed up (or his rehab takes longer than expected).
lol yea but whenever he is called upon to play, he gets injured within a few minutes of being in the game.  Might be time for him to take a hint and realize his body wasn't made for playing football  Cheesy 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »

Tate was commanding 200k+ for his services, so it's no big shocker to see him released.

Didn't think he was making that much. I'm sure he'll resurface somewhere shortly. The Als or Lions could use him, IMO.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »

Davis gets another look. Not a bad move by Ottawa.
GCn18

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »

Tate could have been a good QB if he wasn't so deathly afraid of playing. The guy cringes when he's called upon and gets a mystery injury whenever he's touched.

the paw

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 03:58:36 PM »

You know what this suggest to me?  (at the risk of reading too much into it).

It suggests that the Bombers didn't so much give up on Davis, as they saw a one year window to pick up an experienced former starter, and take a run at a Grey Cup.  Along with the Bowman move, I think maybe Walters is going to go balls out in free agency to try and get it this year, and deal with the fiscal consequence and roster turnover next year. 

grab grass 'n growl
TBURGESS

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »

Smells like a salary dump to me.

Being right never gets old.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »

Tate could have been a good QB if he wasn't so deathly afraid of playing. The guy cringes when he's called upon and gets a mystery injury whenever he's touched.

He'd fit in well on the Riders.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
GCn18

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »

It suggests that the Bombers didn't so much give up on Davis, as they saw a one year window to pick up an experienced former starter, and take a run at a Grey Cup.  Along with the Bowman move, I think maybe Walters is going to go balls out in free agency to try and get it this year, and deal with the fiscal consequence and roster turnover next year. 

I hope you're right. It's time.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »

I don't know about that, I think you're reading into it further that you need to. I think they gave up on Davis midway through the year and found out Lefeavour wasn't any better. Other than Nichols, it's a reload at the QB spot under those circumstances so a veteran guy with a cheaper 3rd string seemed like the logical choice. I think the reason negotiations have been so tough with a number of our FAs is that we are redistributing some of the SMS so that we can go after guys.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 04:41:25 PM »

That would be known as the "Taman folly".
GCn18

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »

No. The Taman folly is backloading contracts into subsequent years until the house of cards falls down around you. Loading up for a season to take a run at the Grey Cup is not a bad thing if it's done right.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 05:04:37 PM »

glad to see Dom get another chance... hope it works out for him... hated to see both him and Dan go, but sometimes it is what it is...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »

Not when we're going into a new CBA period in 2019 and a multitude of players are signing 1 year deals. In 2019 we're potentially going to see Goosen, Loffler, Couture, Harris and some other critical Canadians headed to free agency. Certainly they could sign extentions during this season but I would expect players to be taking a wait and see what 2019 brings.

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 07:11:00 PM »

Not when we're going into a new CBA period in 2019 and a multitude of players are signing 1 year deals. In 2019 we're potentially going to see Goosen, Loffler, Couture, Harris and some other critical Canadians headed to free agency. Certainly they could sign extentions during this season but I would expect players to be taking a wait and see what 2019 brings.

The Bombers aren't the only ones who have to live with that reality though, all teams will face that challenge and if the SMS goes up, it goes up for everyone. Unless we somehow have way more NIs coming up than other teams (which I don't believe is true) we'll be just fine.
GCn18

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 07:14:59 PM »

The Bombers aren't the only ones who have to live with that reality though, all teams will face that challenge and if the SMS goes up, it goes up for everyone. Unless we somehow have way more NIs coming up than other teams (which I don't believe is true) we'll be just fine.

I think that will be a universal problem next year. However, it still leads to a lot of uncertainty about our core nucleus. Therefore, we should, imo, take a hard run at it this year.

Blue In BC

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »

I think that will be a universal problem next year. However, it still leads to a lot of uncertainty about our core nucleus. Therefore, we should, imo, take a hard run at it this year.

You said it better than I did but that was where I was going with my comment.

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 07:18:01 PM »

Yes, true, I agree. In the CFL though - pretty much every team should be making a hard run every year.
Pigskin

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »

Not much of an insurance policy for Ottawa. When we needed he last year, he could pull the trigger.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 07:34:56 PM »

Yes, true, I agree. In the CFL though - pretty much every team should be making a hard run every year.

that's why I said earlier that given the reality of 1 year contracts your best year to win the cup is always the next year...  anything beyond a year out is and you're left guessing as to who may be on the team...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 07:36:20 PM »

that's why I said earlier that given the reality of 1 year contracts your best year to win the cup is always the next year...  anything beyond a year out is and you're left guessing as to who may be on the team...

Ya - and I think even before 1-year contracts were so talked about, with 8 other teams you can go from worst to best in a hurry.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »

^^ THIS!  Spend all the leftover '17 SMS and the entire '18 SMS, and even pull some Jones' tricks to squeeze in more.  We need to be like SSK in '13, keep spending, keep acquiring, caps be damned.  That's how you win a GC.

Make it happen in '18!
dd

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 02:55:11 AM »

I don't know its so much as Walters is making a balls out run at the grey cup but he saw 2 veteran players coming off of down years and picked them up relatively cheap--it was 2 shrewd moves by Walters, he didn't back the truck up and irresponsibly dump money at these 2 guys, he got a hreat bang for his buck and didn't mortgage the farm on either move, that's just smart management
gobombersgo

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 03:06:07 AM »

And if you add Americans like Cory Johnson and Jackson Jeffcoat I think next year will be harder than this year to keep the team together. That is unless the SMS goes up by a noticeable amount.

gobombersgo

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 03:09:10 AM »

I don't know its so much as Walters is making a balls out run at the grey cup but he saw 2 veteran players coming off of down years and picked them up relatively cheap--it was 2 shrewd moves by Walters, he didn't back the truck up and irresponsibly dump money at these 2 guys, he got a hreat bang for his buck and didn't mortgage the farm on either move, that's just smart management
He did the same when he picked up Dressler. Not sure if Harris took a cut when he signed with the Bombers but he might be another example.

DM83

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 04:43:46 AM »

Tait Should not have cut his hair.  Plus any CFL QB named Drew is damned.
Davis shouldn't make the team.  Unless he just holds a clipboard.  He sure choked when given the opportunity.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:48:09 AM by DM83 » Logged
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »

Tait Tate Should not have cut his hair.  Plus any CFL QB named Drew is damned.
Davis shouldn't make the team.  Unless he just holds a clipboard.  He sure choked when given the opportunity.

Corrected. Unless you are referring to Ed Tait.  Grin
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »

Wow..  Drew Tate released for Dom Davis?  This was unseen and unpredicted.  Tate is a great backup and potential starter. 
the paw

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 07:35:30 PM »

Wow..  Drew Tate released for Dom Davis?  This was unseen and unpredicted.  Tate is a great backup and potential starter. 

2012 called. Someone reported you missing..... Grin

grab grass 'n growl
GCn18

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 07:37:45 PM »

Tate fakes an injury every time they send him on the field.

dd

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 11:59:56 PM »

Tate is a nut case on the field, too unstable to be a starter. I remember him reaming out Jon Cornish one game in Calgary and thought, that's a career move their Drew, and he was done in Calgary. Totally over rated in my books, over paid, and now out a job. I can't see anyone giving him $200 to backup, plus he's as fragile as a china doll.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 01:57:21 AM »

Funny how people roasted Davis on his exit and some sad his career was over.  Nice to see him continue the dream.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: