Blue Bombers Forum
February 24, 2018, 01:13:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Demski likely to sign per Bauming  (Read 1957 times)
booch

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »

Your body is different than everyone else's body. Talking about your injury experiences doesn't mean the same applies to all athletes.  For all we know, maybe you have weak bones.  But there are things athletes can do to help lessen the likelihood of getting an injury and that's why Adams said he wanted to add some weight after the 2016 season, likely because the trainers told him to do so.  
Never said it applies to all athletes...but bones are pretty much the same strength wise and if you had a condition with brittle/weak bones you would never had made it to the professional level...let alone high level university

The point I was making was that injuries for the most part happen just randomly and noting you can do to really prevent them or predict them...most times just a matter of being unlucky...I said 9 times out of 10 is usually fate and bad luck..and the other time is playing scared and not to get hurt...or a blatant attempt to injure somebody.

booch

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »

and sometimes the extra weight contributes to in juries...my surgeon told me that 30 pounds lighter and my knee doesn't blow apart the 2nd time...so like i say...injuries just happen because...noting u can really do about it other than not play.

You can minimize tears and pulls though with proper training and stretching and post game maintenance...but once something is maxed to it's limit...away she blows
GCn17

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2018, 06:52:27 PM »

I recall Adams suggesting he would like to add weight because he felt it would benefit him as a player. I could be wrong but I don't recall him saying it was to help prevent injury.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
booch

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »

yeah he said that...i think he meant it more as being stronger..able to take bumps better and dish them out...I don't think he meant it as injury prevention
66 Chevelle

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2018, 06:54:10 PM »

I know what you mean, 2 summers ago I fell and landed full weight on my right elbow, snapped my humerus bone right in half... when I first started to get up I went to raise my right arm and all I could get was a little nub from my right should to move, everything else just laid there, lol...  took over 7 months for that to heal, sucks getting old...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn17

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2018, 06:57:46 PM »

yeah he said that...i think he meant it more as being stronger..able to take bumps better and dish them out...I don't think he meant it as injury prevention

Not for broken bone prevention. Just read an article on BB.com from last year and he said he wanted a sturdier frame so he could play a more physical game without getting injured or outmuscled. Apparently he has a bad shoulder from his days in college and he wanted to really make sure it was strengthened up.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:00:37 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
gbill2004

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2018, 07:00:12 PM »

There are a few things that have Darvin Adams geeked up and ready to go this weekend.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers deep threat receiver wants to channel the fidgety energy he?s built up from watching Week 1 from the couch, the Bombers opening the year with a bye. He?s stoked to see what some other receivers have done already and is determined to match if not outdo them all. He wants a mulligan on the 2016 season, when he got off to a very good start but was taken out of the picture for ten weeks, suffering a broken left collarbone.

Adams is primed to launch for all these reasons and more. He is bringing, he hopes, a more sturdy body into the fray, counting on a little extra upper body strength to keep him healthy and give him an edge in those one-on-one battles that occur when he?s chasing down a deep ball from quarterback Matt Nichols.

?I think I really kinda pounded on the weight to bulk it up a little,? Adams said after emerging from a post-practice meeting earlier this week, the Bombers prepping for Saturday?s clash with the Saskatchewan Roughriders at new Mosaic Stadium. ?Most definitely I did.?

At 27-years-old and looking forward to his fifth CFL season, Adams signed a new three-year deal with Winnipeg during the off-season and set about ensuring he would be as durable as possible in 2017, with an eye to making certain that he didn?t lose any of his explosive speed and leaping ability, the stuff that he used to pull in 56 receptions for 690 yards and six touchdowns over the course of just eight games last year.

Adams? left shoulder had already been damaged back in college and then again as a pro when he launched his CFL career with the Toronto Argonauts. ?My shoulder was kinda messed up already,? he said, noting that he?d torn ligaments around his rotator cuff when he suited up for the NCAA?s Auburn Tigers. The collarbone break ? which happened late during a Week 6 contest in Edmonton ? was bad enough that it required surgery to repair, forcing Adams to the sidelines until the second-to-last game of the regular season.

?I?ve broken a couple of things on my body before but that?s, by far, the worst I think,? said Adams, who healed, re-habbed and made it through the end of the regular season and the Bombers? loss to BC in the Western Semi-Final. The memories of sitting out more than half a season weighed on his mind and he became determined to do what he could to try and keep it from happening again. ?That?s why I attacked the off-season like I did,? he said. ?Re-strengthen it and try to get a stronger upper body.?

?I took the time to go and train more,? he further explained. ?I would say I lifted more weight instead of normally what I?ve been doing, (which is) trying to train on speed and explosiveness. I just really took the time out this year to focus on trying to bulk up and try to get a little more weight on me so I could be able to play the style that I play.?

So it wasn?t all about that left shoulder of his, as you can gather from that last sentence. Durability for that shoulder was one goal, sure.

Another was to add to Adams? already impressive array of abilities, to make him more combat ready when it comes to contested balls in tight coverage. A more powerful upper body can come in handy when another guy?s trying to rip a football out of your arms on the way down to the ground.

I can?t wait to go out there and play. I think we?re ready for the moment and I think we will show it.

Darvin Adams on this week?s game vs Saskatchewan

?It?s not like I?m just focusing on the spot that I hurt,? he said. ?I?m just trying to get my whole body (ready). Taking the time to do the small, simple things.?

Extra time is something Adams and his teammates have had, seeing as they were the group that started the season with a bye. While that bonus prep time had its upside ? like extra study for their game against the ?Riders and a team-building trip to a paintball facility for some steam-releasing fun ? Adams says a guy can get a little stir crazy, craving some action, especially when he?s plunked in a chair, watching the likes of Toronto?s S.J. Green put together an incredible highlight reel.

?Coming off that injury, it was a great thing to see,? said Adams of Green?s return to action after the devastating knee damage he suffered in 2016. ?It?s a great thing to watch other receivers ball out,? he added, admitting that a game like Green?s can really bring one?s competitive nature out.

?It boosts the way other people play,? he said. ?It boosts up their game.?

?Watching all the other games it kind of makes you anxious and want to play,? Adams continued. ?But you take that wanting to play and you put it into your workout, you put it into your training and your on the field actions (at practice). I think it was a good thing. Gave us a little more time to get our bodies right from camp and be prepared for the first game.?

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/06/28/darvin-adams-energized-return-last-seasons-injury/
GCn17

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:55 PM »

Pretty much just wanted to get stronger so he could be a better player and to strengthen his shoulder is what I get out of that article. Didn't work...although Matt Nichols didn't help his cause.

gbill2004

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »

counting on a little extra upper body strength to keep him healthy
GCn17

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »

That's the article writers opining, his direct quotes don't mention that other than speaking about his shoulder. At any rate, he definitely made the effort to get stronger last offseason so that he would be more effective and hopefully stay healthy. I think we can agree on that. It didn't work...I think we can agree on that as well. Why? Mostly bad luck and a poorly thrown ball.

canadaguy2112

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2018, 12:04:16 AM »

That pass was like a Hell in the Cell moment
Tiger

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2018, 05:49:17 AM »

Quit running a thoroughbred wide receiver over the middle - it is a misuse and waste of talent and a down.  It also puts him at risk of injury. All receivers know that running this route is dangerous and you will take a hit. That is why so many easy passes are dropped because they look downfield and for the train.

Stop throwing suicide balls high and behind.

Teach Nichols how to throw an accurate long ball.  Call the long ball.  Have the QB and receivers practice passing to spots.  Then you will burn opposing Ds.

Ugh ....really .....arguing over Adams getting 20 lbs of muscle?   Same crap two years in a row got him injured. Stop already.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
GCn17

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »

Quit running a thoroughbred wide receiver over the middle - it is a misuse and waste of talent and a down.  It also puts him at risk of injury. All receivers know that running this route is dangerous and you will take a hit. That is why so many easy passes are dropped because they look downfield and for the train.

Teach Nichols how to throw an accurate long ball.  Call the long ball.  Have the QB and receivers practice passing to spots.  Then you will burn opposing Ds.

Ugh ....really .....arguing over Adams getting 20 lbs of muscle?   Same crap two years in a row got him injured. Stop already.

I have no issue with the route, or play call. He catches it and it's a key first down in that game. I do have a problem with the throw though, and with the suggestion that the injury suffered from it is because the receiver is injury prone.

gbill2004

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »

Adams has a long history of injuries, going back to college. He?s injury prone.
GCn17

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »

Sure...sure...you believe what you want to believe. Roll Eyes I guess by your definition that makes Matt Nichols injury prone too. Maybe we should look for a new QB. While we are at it, Dressler is injury prone too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:37:28 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: