Blue Bombers Forum
October 20, 2018, 07:27:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Demski likely to sign per Bauming  (Read 4493 times)
thunderNlightning

« on: February 12, 2018, 01:15:40 AM »

Darrin Bauming
@DarrinBauming
Hearing strong indications that Nic Demski will sign with the #Bombers this week. The #Riders receiver and 2015 first-round pick will hit free agency on Tuesday. Just imagine, two Oak Park High School grads on Winnipeg's starting offence.

1:42 PM - Feb 11, 2018

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/11/strong-indications-riders-nic-demski-headed-bombers-free-agency-report/
kkc60

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:22:41 AM »

I know this was brought up in another thread, but anyways Demski would be a great signing. I still really like Wolitarsky and I think Henry could be a good STer for us, so hopefully Demski doesn't make us lose one of em
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 01:23:28 AM »

Should help sell some tickets. Better get the ones I want early.
gbill2004

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 01:24:01 AM »

I know this was brought up in another thread, but anyways Demski would be a great signing. I still really like Wolitarsky and I think Henry could be a good STer for us, so hopefully Demski doesn't make us lose one of em
I?d say Wolitarsky is definitely still in the plans. Not sure about Henry; he?s probably competing for a PR spot in TC.
kkc60

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:26:14 AM »

I?d say Wolitarsky is definitely still in the plans. Not sure about Henry; he?s probably competing for a PR spot in TC.
I watched his 19 catch game vs the Bisons. He's not big, but I think the kid could be an intriguing player. He's got nothing too outstanding, but I could see him being similar to JFG  if given a bit of time
TecnoGenius

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:51:25 AM »

With Bowman on board, why the impetus (and where the money) to get Demski?  I would have thought he had fallen off the radar.  We could only get him if he's dirt cheap and I don't see why he would be.  That said, I'd love to see him here.

After the Bowman signing my thinking changed to "ok, O is complete, let's concentrate on D".  We need to get some D signings!  I hope we don't stand pat on D, or all this O is for naught.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 01:52:21 AM »

I watched his 19 catch game vs the Bisons. He's not big, but I think the kid could be an intriguing player. He's got nothing too outstanding, but I could see him being similar to JFG  if given a bit of time

yet we have JFG, at least until Tuesday, but we should let him go and acquire Demski and hope that in time he can have JFG like numbers?  doens't that sound just a bit odd to you?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
gbill2004

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 01:56:50 AM »

yet we have JFG, at least until Tuesday, but we should let him go and acquire Demski and hope that in time he can have JFG like numbers?  doens't that sound just a bit odd to you?
It?s about managing the SMS. Plus Demski is a Winnipeg boy who will help sell tickets, probably a similar cap hit as JFG, is younger, and arguably more talented than JFG.
kkc60

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 02:04:04 AM »

I was talking about Tylor Henry, not Demski. Demski isn't similar to JFG at all.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:05:17 AM »

I was talking about Tylor Henry, not Demski. Demski isn't similar to JFG at all.

my bad, I honestly thought you were referring to Demski...

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 02:15:48 AM »

I'm expecting them to roll with one Natl. receiver and it will probably be Demski over Coates or JFG if this signing is true.  A receiving corp. with Adams and Bowman on the outside and Demski, Flanders and Dressler inside would be very interesting. 
booch

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 02:18:57 AM »

bowman will be a slot
66 Chevelle

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 02:23:35 AM »

bowman will be a slot

agreed, Bowman will be a slot... hopefully his speed won't be too much an issue, if any...

gbill2004

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 02:24:30 AM »

bowman will be a slot
Lapo likes to move his receivers around. Dressler and Demski will play in the slot as well.
GCn18

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 02:35:41 AM »

I know the Demskis well and they don't know what Tuesday will bring but are hoping the Bombers are interested. I could say more about Demski not re-signing with the Riders but i was told some details in confidence. In short tbough , unless something goes 180, Demski will be a FA on Tuesday and will be hoping the Bombers want him and make a reasonable offer.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 02:40:29 AM »

Lapo likes to move his receivers around. Dressler and Demski will play in the slot as well.

Some people seem to forget that Flanders was not spelling Harris at RB but was taking hand-offs out of the slot position with Harris still on the field, the beautiful thing about LaPo's offence is that it's fluid and assigned positions mean very little.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:44:00 AM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
66 Chevelle

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 02:45:36 AM »

Some people seem to forget that Flanders was not spelling Harris at RB but was taking hand-offs out of the slot position with Harris still on the field, the beautiful thing about LaPo's offence is that it's fluid and assigned positions mean very little.

great point, and one that seems to never really be discussed at any length around here, at least in my memory it hasn't....

bustamente

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 02:47:24 AM »

As long as the O line does it's job the O is rounding out quite nicely, now maybe fill in some pieces on the D
66 Chevelle

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 02:53:22 AM »

Throw Long, I'm not trying to be a butt here, but was 'spelling' a typo or does it have a different meaning that I'm unaware of when used in this context? I believe that I've seen it used similarly in at least one other post...  And again, I am respectfully asking... so thanks in advance for any info you'd like to share...

gobombersgo

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 03:26:52 AM »

It?s about managing the SMS. Plus Demski is a Winnipeg boy who will help sell tickets, probably a similar cap hit as JFG, is younger, and arguably more talented than JFG.

Hopefully this doesn't play into the decision on whether to sign him or not. I want to Bombers to sign players based on who they think will help them on the field and not the stands.

Jets
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 03:28:52 AM »

Throw Long, I'm not trying to be a butt here, but was 'spelling' a typo or does it have a different meaning that I'm unaware of when used in this context? I believe that I've seen it used similarly in at least one other post...  And again, I am respectfully asking... so thanks in advance for any info you'd like to share...

spell
verb NORTH AMERICAN
allow (someone) to rest briefly by taking their place in some activity.
"I got sleepy and needed her to spell me for a while at the wheel"
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 03:32:21 AM »

v. spelled, spelling, spells
v.tr.
1. To relieve (someone) from work temporarily by taking a turn.
2. To allow (someone) to rest a while.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 03:37:44 AM »

Hopefully this doesn't play into the decision on whether to sign him or not. I want to Bombers to sign players based on who they think will help them on the field and not the stands.

X2
66 Chevelle

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 03:42:19 AM »

thanks guys! as an American from the midwest I've not heard it used in such manner...  some of the other differences I've encountered were easier for me to relate based on context of use, this one was a little less obvious to me. But now, thanks to you guys, I'm better prepared to understand comments moving forward... but it is funny to me at least, that I find myself using terms that I've learned here that are not part of my regular day to day vocabulary, lol... 'bang on' is my favorite that sometimes garners me funny looks from those around me, lol...

also, when I googled it for alternative meanings, this is what I got:

the process or activity of writing or naming the letters of a word.
        the way a word is spelled.
        plural noun: spellings
        "the spelling of his name was influenced by French"
        a person's ability to spell words.
        "her spelling was deplorable"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:45:02 AM by 66 Chevelle » Logged

buckzumhoff

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 03:47:41 AM »

Id go with LaFrance. Demski dropped quite a few balls and didnt break many tackles. Saskatchewan is not signing him for a reason. They are looking for better talent in that position. I think Matt Coates is better. And with Lafrance and Flanders can give Harris a break when he needs it.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 03:53:27 AM »

Id go with LaFrance. Demski dropped quite a few balls and didnt break many tackles. Saskatchewan is not signing him for a reason. They are looking for better talent in that position. I think Matt Coates is better. And with Lafrance and Flanders can give Harris a break when he needs it.

plus it makes sense from the view of giving us better options to maintain ratio, effectively overall...

thunderNlightning

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 04:55:37 AM »

Could you throw in packages where Lafrance/Flanders are the RB's and Harris moves up into a receiver position?
DM83

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 05:16:07 AM »

Semiskilled started off last year very strong.  Then he. Got injured. Then he was never back in the rotation.. Winnioeg. Has a need for a starting SB.  He has to,produce though.  Coates outside or JFG are fine as the WR. I am not sold in Adams. I don't think he makes any outstanding catches.  But that's just me. He. Did have a couple, I know. Just not enough.

We are still missing an outstanding WR.
But yes now we need some DBS who are for real, not dreams.
Plus a Middle Linebacker.
If we get those we have a chance to challenge.  Should we continue employing DBS as LBs, we won't win.

A,couple,days for some,vets, and of course infinite years for our poor scouts to get some rookie Amercs.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 05:21:20 AM »

Semiskilled started off last year very strong.  Then he. Got injured. Then he was never back in the rotation.. Winnioeg. Has a need for a starting SB.  He has to,produce though.  Coates outside or JFG are fine as the WR. I am not sold in Adams. I don't think he makes any outstanding catches.  But that's just me. He. Did have a couple, I know. Just not enough.

If we get those we have a chance to challenge.  Should we continue employing DBS as LBs, we won't win.

A,couple,days for some,vets, and of course infinite years for our poor scouts to get some rookie Amercs.

Wow.  Can't let your comment about Adams go without another opinion.  Adams is a YAC threat.  He is reliable. He is a long ball threat.  He made several outstanding catches this past season.  He is held in high regard by other teams.  He is held in high regard by his teammates and coaches.  Just saying....I think you have not carefully considered what he brings to the team.  Injuries have hampered - certainly.  But when he is on the field he is a force.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
thunderNlightning

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 05:25:39 AM »

Adams might be the most underrated receiver in this league!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 05:30:28 AM »

Our offence will be good to great this year.  LaPolice has done a great job as OC.  I worry that we have focused too much money on offence with all the big signings though. Our D was why we lost many games last season.  Sure we can score a ton of points and keep the other teams offences off the field, but it is defences that win championships.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 05:33:35 AM »

Keep the faith.  Gotta feeling we will be focusing on defence in free agency this year.  Only a guess....nothing I really know.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
kkc60

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »

Adams is a top receiver in the league. Health is his issue.
GCn18

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »

thanks guys! as an American from the midwest I've not heard it used in such manner...  some of the other differences I've encountered were easier for me to relate based on context of use, this one was a little less obvious to me. But now, thanks to you guys, I'm better prepared to understand comments moving forward... but it is funny to me at least, that I find myself using terms that I've learned here that are not part of my regular day to day vocabulary, lol... 'bang on' is my favorite that sometimes garners me funny looks from those around me, lol...

also, when I googled it for alternative meanings, this is what I got:

the process or activity of writing or naming the letters of a word.
        the way a word is spelled.
        plural noun: spellings
        "the spelling of his name was influenced by French"
        a person's ability to spell words.
        "her spelling was deplorable"

That is it's alternate meaning when used as a noun. Us Canucks love words with dual meanings. lol

gbill2004

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »

I read an interview with Demski he says he's also played RB and QB in his career.  I wonder if he'd be open to playing some RB if Harris were to go down during a game?  His experience at QB could also be useful too in some of Lapo's trick plays. 
GCn18

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »

Demski wasn't good enough at RB to win the job with the Bisons.

GCn18

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »

Adams is a top receiver in the league. Health is his issue.

Health is not his issue. He got served up a suicide pass by Dan Lefevour that ended his season. There is no player alive that doesn't get injured in that scenario.

BlueInCgy

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »

I don't see a significant increase between JFG and Demski, so if they're the same price, I guess it's a swap.
gbill2004

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »

I don't see a significant increase between JFG and Demski, so if they're the same price, I guess it's a swap.
Agreed, except I'd say Demksi has more upside and is younger.  Downside is that Demski has had some durability issues recently.  He did look like a stud the first 2 games of 2017 tough. 
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 02:20:19 PM »

A lot of people thought Demski was going to have a breakout year last year and it's probably good for us that he didn't. I would say he's a pretty decent upgrade. At 24, we probably haven't seen the best of him yet and he's quick. He is could also return kicks in a pinch and is an all-around better athlete.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 03:16:50 PM »

Health is not his issue. He got served up a suicide pass by Dan Lefevour that ended his season. There is no player alive that doesn't get injured in that scenario.

Hey now, that's not on LeFevour that was a Nichols pass.

First play of the highlights.

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2438/bc-lions-vs-winnipeg-blue-bombers/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:11:54 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
kkc60

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 05:13:01 PM »

Both the past 2 seasons hes had injury issues
GCn18

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »

Hey now, that's not on LeFevour that was a Nichols pass.

First play of the highlights.

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2438/bc-lions-vs-winnipeg-blue-bombers/

My mistake. That was a terribly thrown ball.

GCn18

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »

Both the past 2 seasons hes had injury issues

I just don't equate contact injuries as being health issues. More of a luck thing. He has broken his collarbone being slammed to the turf in 2016, and had an upper body injury after a suicide pass last year. This is not a re-occurring injury, just separate times he was hit very hard. Maybe he needs to learn how to avoid contact more I guess, but I wouldn't call it a health issue.

kkc60

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2018, 05:53:01 PM »

I just don't equate contact injuries as being health issues. More of a luck thing. He has broken his collarbone being slammed to the turf in 2016, and had an upper body injury after a suicide pass last year. This is not a re-occurring injury, just separate times he was hit very hard. Maybe he needs to learn how to avoid contact more I guess, but I wouldn't call it a health issue.
Im not holding it against him. Im just saying he hasnt played a full season in awhile
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2018, 06:10:29 PM »

Hopefully, the addition of Bowman and a healthy Dressler can mitigate this by taking some of the attention off Adams.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 06:18:25 PM »

Hopefully, the addition of Bowman and a healthy Dressler can mitigate this by taking some of the attention off Adams.

or, hopefully he doesn't get thrown anymore suicide balls that sidelines him for the remainder of the year...

booch

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 06:18:41 PM »

yeah his injuries could have happened to anyone and were more a matter of bad luck then anything.

Now if he was pulling hammies all the time...or had a shoulder that was always being dislocated...or ankle sprains...then that would be more of an issue on going
66 Chevelle

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 06:23:43 PM »

yeah his injuries could have happened to anyone and were more a matter of bad luck then anything.

Now if he was pulling hammies all the time...or had a shoulder that was always being dislocated...or ankle sprains...then that would be more of an issue on going

com'on booch... you send your #1 across the middle and throw high and behind him and that's a matter of bad luck? com'on...

booch

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:23 PM »

no no no...bad luck in being injured....not him being injury prone.
That was a total suicide pass and when I played...the QB would have heard about it from within...Smiley
gbill2004

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 06:31:26 PM »

I don't agree. Adams is pretty skinny for his size at 6'2", and 191 pounds.  He even acknowledged after the 2016 season that he needed to put on some weight in the offseason to help prevent injuries.  He could use a little extra natural padding in my opinion. 
booch

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 06:32:33 PM »

skinny ness though doesn't make you more susceptible to broken bones though...especially a collar bone
GCn18

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »

There is no doubt that putting on 20 lbs wouldn't hurt Adams at all, but on that pass that Nichols threw him even a brick outhouse like Arceneaux would likely have been injured. It was a brutally thrown ball that left him completely prone. Really he should have just protected himself and knocked it down.

gbill2004

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »

skinny ness though doesn't make you more susceptible to broken bones though...especially a collar bone
A little extra natural padding would help.  Not every player who took that hit would automatically get a broken collarbone.  I've seen players take hits like those before and get right back up.  
66 Chevelle

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 06:38:51 PM »

no no no...bad luck in being injured....not him being injury prone.
That was a total suicide pass and when I played...the QB would have heard about it from within...Smiley

whew! got it! I thought for a minute there I had entered into Bizarr-O World or something.... but I'm good now, everything is as it should be...  Wink

booch

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »

that hit wasn't the broken collar bone...it was a disclocation...the collar bone was being bull dawged into the turf.

I played at anywhere from 255 to 278...and broke several bones (arm...hand...nose)...blew my knew out twice...separated a shoulder...lost a molar....and my extra weight didn't help one bit.

Injuries nine times out of ten are luck of the draw
GCn18

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 06:42:26 PM »

Padding very rarely protects a collarbone. I've seen guys that are twigs take hellacious hits and bounce back up and I've seen guys built like Hulk Hogan break them on innocent looking plays in my time coaching. The ground has the same amount of give to a big guy as it does to a small guy.

gbill2004

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 06:44:03 PM »

that hit wasn't the broken collar bone...it was a disclocation...the collar bone was being bull dawged into the turf.

I played at anywhere from 255 to 278...and broke several bones (arm...hand...nose)...blew my knew out twice...separated a shoulder...lost a molar....and my extra weight didn't help one bit.

Your body is different than everyone else's body. Talking about your injury experiences doesn't mean the same applies to all athletes.  For all we know, maybe you have weak bones.  But there are things athletes can do to help lessen the likelihood of getting an injury and that's why Adams said he wanted to add some weight after the 2016 season, likely because the trainers told him to do so.  
booch

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2018, 06:44:25 PM »

exactly...even in a big fat fatty you still see a collar bone sticking out hahaha
GCn18

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 06:45:53 PM »

Yea...I remember that one. He got slammed off the turf at a real bad angle. With 20 or 30 more pounds he still breaks that collar bone because no matter how much weight you put on your bones remain the same size and have the same amount of give.

booch

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »

Your body is different than everyone else's body. Talking about your injury experiences doesn't mean the same applies to all athletes.  For all we know, maybe you have weak bones.  But there are things athletes can do to help lessen the likelihood of getting an injury and that's why Adams said he wanted to add some weight after the 2016 season, likely because the trainers told him to do so.  
Never said it applies to all athletes...but bones are pretty much the same strength wise and if you had a condition with brittle/weak bones you would never had made it to the professional level...let alone high level university

The point I was making was that injuries for the most part happen just randomly and noting you can do to really prevent them or predict them...most times just a matter of being unlucky...I said 9 times out of 10 is usually fate and bad luck..and the other time is playing scared and not to get hurt...or a blatant attempt to injure somebody.

booch

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »

and sometimes the extra weight contributes to in juries...my surgeon told me that 30 pounds lighter and my knee doesn't blow apart the 2nd time...so like i say...injuries just happen because...noting u can really do about it other than not play.

You can minimize tears and pulls though with proper training and stretching and post game maintenance...but once something is maxed to it's limit...away she blows
GCn18

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2018, 06:52:27 PM »

I recall Adams suggesting he would like to add weight because he felt it would benefit him as a player. I could be wrong but I don't recall him saying it was to help prevent injury.

booch

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »

yeah he said that...i think he meant it more as being stronger..able to take bumps better and dish them out...I don't think he meant it as injury prevention
66 Chevelle

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2018, 06:54:10 PM »

I know what you mean, 2 summers ago I fell and landed full weight on my right elbow, snapped my humerus bone right in half... when I first started to get up I went to raise my right arm and all I could get was a little nub from my right should to move, everything else just laid there, lol...  took over 7 months for that to heal, sucks getting old...

GCn18

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2018, 06:57:46 PM »

yeah he said that...i think he meant it more as being stronger..able to take bumps better and dish them out...I don't think he meant it as injury prevention

Not for broken bone prevention. Just read an article on BB.com from last year and he said he wanted a sturdier frame so he could play a more physical game without getting injured or outmuscled. Apparently he has a bad shoulder from his days in college and he wanted to really make sure it was strengthened up.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:00:37 PM by GCn17 » Logged

gbill2004

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2018, 07:00:12 PM »

There are a few things that have Darvin Adams geeked up and ready to go this weekend.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers deep threat receiver wants to channel the fidgety energy he?s built up from watching Week 1 from the couch, the Bombers opening the year with a bye. He?s stoked to see what some other receivers have done already and is determined to match if not outdo them all. He wants a mulligan on the 2016 season, when he got off to a very good start but was taken out of the picture for ten weeks, suffering a broken left collarbone.

Adams is primed to launch for all these reasons and more. He is bringing, he hopes, a more sturdy body into the fray, counting on a little extra upper body strength to keep him healthy and give him an edge in those one-on-one battles that occur when he?s chasing down a deep ball from quarterback Matt Nichols.

?I think I really kinda pounded on the weight to bulk it up a little,? Adams said after emerging from a post-practice meeting earlier this week, the Bombers prepping for Saturday?s clash with the Saskatchewan Roughriders at new Mosaic Stadium. ?Most definitely I did.?

At 27-years-old and looking forward to his fifth CFL season, Adams signed a new three-year deal with Winnipeg during the off-season and set about ensuring he would be as durable as possible in 2017, with an eye to making certain that he didn?t lose any of his explosive speed and leaping ability, the stuff that he used to pull in 56 receptions for 690 yards and six touchdowns over the course of just eight games last year.

Adams? left shoulder had already been damaged back in college and then again as a pro when he launched his CFL career with the Toronto Argonauts. ?My shoulder was kinda messed up already,? he said, noting that he?d torn ligaments around his rotator cuff when he suited up for the NCAA?s Auburn Tigers. The collarbone break ? which happened late during a Week 6 contest in Edmonton ? was bad enough that it required surgery to repair, forcing Adams to the sidelines until the second-to-last game of the regular season.

?I?ve broken a couple of things on my body before but that?s, by far, the worst I think,? said Adams, who healed, re-habbed and made it through the end of the regular season and the Bombers? loss to BC in the Western Semi-Final. The memories of sitting out more than half a season weighed on his mind and he became determined to do what he could to try and keep it from happening again. ?That?s why I attacked the off-season like I did,? he said. ?Re-strengthen it and try to get a stronger upper body.?

?I took the time to go and train more,? he further explained. ?I would say I lifted more weight instead of normally what I?ve been doing, (which is) trying to train on speed and explosiveness. I just really took the time out this year to focus on trying to bulk up and try to get a little more weight on me so I could be able to play the style that I play.?

So it wasn?t all about that left shoulder of his, as you can gather from that last sentence. Durability for that shoulder was one goal, sure.

Another was to add to Adams? already impressive array of abilities, to make him more combat ready when it comes to contested balls in tight coverage. A more powerful upper body can come in handy when another guy?s trying to rip a football out of your arms on the way down to the ground.

I can?t wait to go out there and play. I think we?re ready for the moment and I think we will show it.

Darvin Adams on this week?s game vs Saskatchewan

?It?s not like I?m just focusing on the spot that I hurt,? he said. ?I?m just trying to get my whole body (ready). Taking the time to do the small, simple things.?

Extra time is something Adams and his teammates have had, seeing as they were the group that started the season with a bye. While that bonus prep time had its upside ? like extra study for their game against the ?Riders and a team-building trip to a paintball facility for some steam-releasing fun ? Adams says a guy can get a little stir crazy, craving some action, especially when he?s plunked in a chair, watching the likes of Toronto?s S.J. Green put together an incredible highlight reel.

?Coming off that injury, it was a great thing to see,? said Adams of Green?s return to action after the devastating knee damage he suffered in 2016. ?It?s a great thing to watch other receivers ball out,? he added, admitting that a game like Green?s can really bring one?s competitive nature out.

?It boosts the way other people play,? he said. ?It boosts up their game.?

?Watching all the other games it kind of makes you anxious and want to play,? Adams continued. ?But you take that wanting to play and you put it into your workout, you put it into your training and your on the field actions (at practice). I think it was a good thing. Gave us a little more time to get our bodies right from camp and be prepared for the first game.?

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/06/28/darvin-adams-energized-return-last-seasons-injury/
GCn18

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:55 PM »

Pretty much just wanted to get stronger so he could be a better player and to strengthen his shoulder is what I get out of that article. Didn't work...although Matt Nichols didn't help his cause.

gbill2004

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »

counting on a little extra upper body strength to keep him healthy
GCn18

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »

That's the article writers opining, his direct quotes don't mention that other than speaking about his shoulder. At any rate, he definitely made the effort to get stronger last offseason so that he would be more effective and hopefully stay healthy. I think we can agree on that. It didn't work...I think we can agree on that as well. Why? Mostly bad luck and a poorly thrown ball.

canadaguy2112

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2018, 12:04:16 AM »

That pass was like a Hell in the Cell moment
Tiger

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2018, 05:49:17 AM »

Quit running a thoroughbred wide receiver over the middle - it is a misuse and waste of talent and a down.  It also puts him at risk of injury. All receivers know that running this route is dangerous and you will take a hit. That is why so many easy passes are dropped because they look downfield and for the train.

Stop throwing suicide balls high and behind.

Teach Nichols how to throw an accurate long ball.  Call the long ball.  Have the QB and receivers practice passing to spots.  Then you will burn opposing Ds.

Ugh ....really .....arguing over Adams getting 20 lbs of muscle?   Same crap two years in a row got him injured. Stop already.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
GCn18

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »

Quit running a thoroughbred wide receiver over the middle - it is a misuse and waste of talent and a down.  It also puts him at risk of injury. All receivers know that running this route is dangerous and you will take a hit. That is why so many easy passes are dropped because they look downfield and for the train.

Teach Nichols how to throw an accurate long ball.  Call the long ball.  Have the QB and receivers practice passing to spots.  Then you will burn opposing Ds.

Ugh ....really .....arguing over Adams getting 20 lbs of muscle?   Same crap two years in a row got him injured. Stop already.

I have no issue with the route, or play call. He catches it and it's a key first down in that game. I do have a problem with the throw though, and with the suggestion that the injury suffered from it is because the receiver is injury prone.

gbill2004

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »

Adams has a long history of injuries, going back to college. He?s injury prone.
GCn18

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »

Sure...sure...you believe what you want to believe. Roll Eyes I guess by your definition that makes Matt Nichols injury prone too. Maybe we should look for a new QB. While we are at it, Dressler is injury prone too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:37:28 PM by GCn17 » Logged

kkc60

« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »

Sure...sure...you believe what you want to believe. Roll Eyes I guess by your definition that makes Matt Nichols injury prone too. Maybe we should look for a new QB. While we are at it, Dressler is injury prone too.
Overreaction. Nice.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »

Adams has a long history of injuries, going back to college. He?s injury prone.

He does? He seemed like a real standout in college, hauling in passes from Cam Newton at Auburn*, and then tested the NFL waters as a pretty raw prospect. I haven't come across any information showing he has a history of injuries dating back to college, though. His CFL injury history isn't too good, that's for sure: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/whatever_happened_to_darvin_ad.html
 - shoulder injury in TC in 2013
 - knee injury in practice in 2014

We know his injuries since he became a Blue Bomber.

There's no mention of injuries in his NFL combine analysis: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/darvin-adams?id=2495444

Overview

Adams is a guy who brings enough to the table to develop into a nice sub-package receiver. Possesses the height and long speed to make some plays vertically, has the mentality to make tough catches in traffic, and has the work ethic and desire to refine his route-running on short-to-intermediate patterns. Good hands and a crafty route-runner. Needs to add some weight to his frame and is susceptible to the press and doesn't have the great short-area burst to consistently get open against man coverage at this time. Adams will attract interest with his competitiveness and intangibles. Mid-round prospect.

Analysis

Strengths: Adams has pretty good speed for a taller receiver. Does a good job getting open against zone coverage. Reliable hands. Is a speed-builder who can run under the deep ball. Willing to roam the middle of the field. Hard-worker who maximizes his physical tools.

Weaknesses: Lacks bulk. Can be jammed and re-routed at the line of scrimmage. Will mis-time jumps and body catch on occasion. Doesn't possess good initial quickness and burst, doesn't eat up cushions quickly, or pose much of a threat in the open field. Run blocking technique needs some work.

*he owns a SEC Championship Game record for most receiving yards (217)

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2018, 02:02:54 PM »

That?s 4 significant injuries going back to his college days.  Plus one he suffered in 2015 that?s listed as an upper body injury but I can?t find the specifics. That?s a pretty significant injury every year since 2013.

Edit: read the article on the previous page where he talks about his college injuries.

I consider that a long list.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:06:47 PM by gbill2004 » Logged
GCn18

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2018, 03:02:16 PM »

Overreaction. Nice.

LOL...touche

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: