Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2018, 11:04:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Walters presser  (Read 2844 times)
gbill2004

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2018, 08:31:16 PM »

Will feel better if we sign Steele or Mrabure at the very least as insurance in case Neufeld hits the tub early in the season (ratio reasons, not positional).
If/when Neufeld hits the tub, I assume Couture or Spooner will be starting. 
BlueInCgy

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »

If/when Neufeld hits the tub, I assume Couture or Spooner will be starting. 

Me too.  I just want there to be zero chance that Hurl ends up being the prettiest girl at the bar at closing time if we keep him around for any reason.
TBURGESS

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2018, 08:46:23 PM »

But with Harris, Bowman, Adams, Dressler, do we really need to start another American receiver?  Maybe not since there's only so many targets to go around, and Demski is no slouch.  Just trying to put myself in Walters shoes...
Demski has 725 total yards receiving in his 3 year career, so I wouldn't put him up there with import receivers. He's actually been a better returner than receiver so far.

Coates is just OK and Wolitarsky is completely untested (Hint: He's got Jade Etienne numbers so far, 1 catch for 15 yards). I'd much rather upgrade Coates with Demski and sign/start Westerman. We'd be in a better spot talent and ratio wise and would still be able to handle losing a staring NI.

Being right never gets old.
gbill2004

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2018, 08:50:15 PM »

Demski has 725 total yards receiving in his 3 year career, so I wouldn't put him up there with import receivers. He's actually been a better returner than receiver so far.

Coates is just OK and Wolitarsky is completely untested (Hint: He's got Jade Etienne numbers so far, 1 catch for 15 yards). I'd much rather upgrade Coates with Demski and sign/start Westerman. We'd be in a better spot talent and ratio wise and would still be able to handle losing a staring NI.
Of course that?s the ideal. But replacing Westerman with Demski as a Canadian starter saves ~$60-80k in cap room, and we still have 2 stud DEs in Okpalaugo and Jeffcoat.
TBURGESS

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2018, 09:03:20 PM »

Of course that?s the ideal. But replacing Westerman with Demski as a Canadian starter saves ~$60-80k in cap room, and we still have 2 stud DEs in Okpalaugo and Jeffcoat.
I doubt that Demski saves that much cap room, and quite frankly, what's a better use of the SMS than signing good to great starting Canadians?

gbill2004

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:35 PM »

I doubt that Demski saves that much cap room, and quite frankly, what's a better use of the SMS than signing good to great starting Canadians?
Westerman at $180k and Demski at $100-120k. Westerman made $175k last year and is reportedly looking for a raise.
TBURGESS

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »

Westerman at $180k and Demski at $100-120k. Westerman made $175k last year and is reportedly looking for a raise.
Fair enough, if those are the numbers.

There are always opportunities to save money by reducing the talent level on the team. We could draft a guy and expect him to play year one. We could pick up some players on day 2 or 3 who no one else really wants. We could bring in some young guys to replace some of our vets. All of those save money and most likely reduce the talent level.

Westerman is going to get his money. Either we pay it or someone else will. He may even find out that no one wants to pay him more than Winnipeg and still sign with us. My point is that we're better with him than without him and saving 60K of SMS space doesn't really matter that much. Heck, I'm sure we can make it work SMS wise to sign both of them.

gbill2004

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2018, 09:44:23 PM »

Fair enough, if those are the numbers.

There are always opportunities to save money by reducing the talent level on the team. We could draft a guy and expect him to play year one. We could pick up some players on day 2 or 3 who no one else really wants. We could bring in some young guys to replace some of our vets. All of those save money and most likely reduce the talent level.

Westerman is going to get his money. Either we pay it or someone else will. He may even find out that no one wants to pay him more than Winnipeg and still sign with us. My point is that we're better with him than without him and saving 60K of SMS space doesn't really matter that much. Heck, I'm sure we can make it work SMS wise to sign both of them.

Plus Walters had to give some guys raises, like Nichols, Bryant, Randle, Hardrick.  Bowman costs more than Denmark.  Plus he still has other spots to fill.  And for all I know, maybe Westerman wants $200k+.  I just know he wants a raise on his $175k from last year.     
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:48:44 PM by gbill2004 » Logged
BlueInCgy

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2018, 09:49:59 PM »

I agree we can probably make it work, and it's not solely the WBB that aren't getting the deal done.  Both Heath and Westerman (rightfully) want to see who the highest bidder will be, and without actually getting to FA, there's no way of knowing that (neither one of the has deep ties to the community, and realize that their career choice is somewhat nomadic).  And they might be in for a shock (unlikely, but possible) when the offers that come in aren't the numbers their agents told them they'd get, or lands them on a team like Montreal, and then decisions must be made. 

I actually respect Huff for what he said to Messam - Go out and find out what the market deems your value at, and if you want to talk after that, come back and we will see what we can do, but otherwise, thanks for your efforts, and best of luck.  
TBURGESS

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »

Plus Walters had to give some guys raises, like Nichols, Bryant, Randle, Hardrick.  Bowman costs more than Denmark.  Plus he still has other spots to fill.  And for all I know, maybe Westerman wants $200k+.  I just know he wants a raise on his $175k from last year.     
We reduced the SMS (At the time of typing) by the cost of: Bond, Davis, Denmark, JFG, Heath, Hurl, Knox, LeFevour, Normand, Thomas and Westerman . (That's a lot of NI talent BTW)

Bond, Heath and Westerman will all be highly sought after and well paid.

gbill2004

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2018, 10:02:30 PM »

We reduced the SMS (At the time of typing) by the cost of: Bond, Davis, Denmark, JFG, Heath, Hurl, Knox, LeFevour, Normand, Thomas and Westerman . (That's a lot of NI talent BTW)

All the guys you listed as reducing the SMS cost, still need to be replaced somehow.  It's not like that's just free money to give to Westerman.  Walters needs to offset the salary increases by finding some cheaper players. 
GCn17

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »

When you have a NAT that is as good or better than his ?MP peers you gotta make him a priority. I would think we gave Westerman a very good offer, he just wants to test what his market value is imo.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2018, 11:27:46 PM »

They are saving the Westerman and Heath signings for tomorrow to get everyone excited for the season.....
theaardvark

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2018, 12:09:02 AM »

Most of those guys may actually raise SMS as they are on affordable contracts...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: