Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2018, 02:34:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Walters presser  (Read 2848 times)
gbill2004

« on: February 09, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »

I'm watching it live right now so will update as I hear items of interest:

He confirmed that Denmark, Lefevour and Bond won't be back.

Still negotiating with Heath and Westerman. 

Hurl is a guy they are also looking at possibly bringing back, but right now, how he might fit in is uncertain. 

At LB he says both Wild and Santos-Knox can both play WIL or MLB, and they are comfortable with both playing either position since Santos-Knox played MLB in college.  Gives them flexibility. 

Paul Friesnen obviously doesn't do his homework.  He just asked Walters if Bowman is still the highest paid non-QB in the league  Roll Eyes  Walters said no. 

Walters says he is looking at upgrading in free agency across the board, but tough to know who will be available, as free agency is unpredictable. 

Walters says the trend around the league is that more money is spent on the offensive side of the ball, so there is a need to rely on younger, cheaper players on D. 

Says Gaitor and Clarke can both start in the secondary if needed. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:31:55 PM by gbill2004 » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 05:47:53 PM »

Any mention of Finch or signing a proven MLB?

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »

Nothing new in those comments expect possibly the Hurl comment.  He only fits as an ST guy that takes a very large pay cut.

No more excuses.
GCn17

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:52:08 PM »

Pretty much signals we are not going to spend on a MLBer imo.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 05:53:48 PM »

I'm watching right now so will update as I hear items of interest:

He confirmed that Denmark, Lefevour and Bond won't be back. As expected

Still negotiating with Heath and Westerman.  Well that's positive

Hurl is a guy they are also looking at possibly bringing back, but right now, how he might fit in is uncertain.  Dear Tom Cruise's Gawd, please, please don't let this happen.  I will give up bacon if that's what it takes to please you in this regard

At LB he says both Wild and Santos-Knox can both play WIL or MLB, and they are comfortable with both playing either position since Santos-Knox played MLB in college.  Gives them flexibility. Meh, with three proven MLBs about to hit the market, this seems like a fall back position more than anything

Paul Friesnen obviously doesn't do his homework.  He just asked Walters if Bowman is still the highest paid non-QB in the league  Roll Eyes  Walters said no. 

bluengold204

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »

Gross
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 06:08:49 PM »

I'm watching right now so will update as I hear items of interest:

He confirmed that Denmark, Lefevour and Bond won't be back.

Still negotiating with Heath and Westerman. 

Hurl is a guy they are also looking at possibly bringing back, but right now, how he might fit in is uncertain. 

At LB he says both Wild and Santos-Knox can both play WIL or MLB, and they are comfortable with both playing either position since Santos-Knox played MLB in college.  Gives them flexibility. 

Walters says he is looking an upgrading in free agency across the board, but tough to know who will be available, as free agency is unpredictable. 

Walters says the trend around the league is that more money is spent on the offensive side of the ball, so there is a need to rely on younger, cheaper players on D. 

Says Gaitor and Clarke can both start in the secondary if needed. 

Where are you watching this presser?  I wish the Bombers would live-stream from their website more often.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 06:09:02 PM »

That?s what I got out of his response as well. Disappointing.
He also said he felt Alexander had a great first year.
Thinking we?re going to have to outscore to win this year!
gbill2004

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 06:09:45 PM »

Where are you watching this presser?  I wish the Bombers would live-stream from their website more often.
It?s over now. Lasted about 30 minutes.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »

I hope you're wrong.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
kkc60

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 06:14:32 PM »

If Walters fails to build a somewhat repectable defense, changes gotta be made
gbill2004

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 06:16:12 PM »

That?s not how I took it at all. He said he wants to upgrade everywhere, but free agency is unpredictable so if he can?t upgrade there, he?s comfortable with Santos-Knox and Wild.
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »

What I get from this is that we still have money to spend in free agency. I'm not happy with his slant on spending on the defensive side of the roster. Could just be a smoke and mirrors comment but that's where we really needed the most improvement on our roster.

Adding Durant and Bowman certainly solve some offensive issues we did have.

EDIT: Looking forward to see what we do in free agency next week.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:30:21 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 06:35:40 PM »

On the plus side it sounds like Hurl will not be our starting MLB.

On the m'eh side it sounds like JSK will be our starting MLB, unless a new recruit totally lights it up in camp (doubtful).

I like JSK but this reminds me of when we put Bass to MLB instead of where he excelled, at WIL. For the same reason, too: that we have Wild.

I don't know how JSK will handle MLB, he might be very good, but for now this feels underwhelming.

"Two wrongs don't a make a #ride" -don

"Pain is temporary; #ride lasts forever" -don also

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
jeremy q public

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 06:39:51 PM »

That's... um... that's the only way to win.

By definition.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 06:45:33 PM »

I know they?re high on Ian Wild but he?s injury prone....we need a wrecking ball MLB not a gap filler which apparently Hurl is good at.  So then it boils down to defensive scheming and coaching.....thoughts?

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Horseman

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »

Must sign one of Dean, Taylor or Woods, hopefully in that order and another strong DB for us to be considered a GC contender. Sad to say, but it looks like Sask maybe a valid concern in the west this year.
blue_or_die

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 07:31:58 PM »

Must sign one of Dean, Taylor or Woods, hopefully in that order and another strong DB for us to be considered a GC contender. Sad to say, but it looks like Sask maybe a valid concern in the west this year.

They were a valid concern last year. How have they gotten better?

"""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott" -me
thunderNlightning

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »

That's... um... that's the only way to win.

By definition.

I think you understood what i meant.
Horseman

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 08:06:16 PM »

They were a valid concern last year. How have they gotten better?

Not making the playoffs in the west does not make you a contender in the west. They have gotten better through the signings of Hughes, Zack C., DC, they will be a legitimate contender in the west (not eastern crossover) and may challenge for second place in the west. I can see Edmonton, Sask, Cal, and Wpg/BC fighting for the crossover. The Bombers need to upgrade their defence to much and by retaining Hall we will see a repeat of last year. Even with MOS having more to do with the defence this year, if he and Hall knew how to fix the defence they would have done it during last year.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »

Not making the playoffs in the west does not make you a contender in the west. They have gotten better through the signings of Hughes, Zack C., DC, they will be a legitimate contender in the west (not eastern crossover) and may challenge for second place in the west. I can see Edmonton, Sask, Cal, and Wpg/BC fighting for the crossover. The Bombers need to upgrade their defence to much and by retaining Hall we will see a repeat of last year. Even with MOS having more to do with the defence this year, if he and Hall knew how to fix the defence they would have done it during last year.

How does signing Zach "Epic Yips" Collaros and retaining Carter - who's now dealing with off-field legal issues - make them better, much less a contender in the West? Both came at a substantial cost, much likes Hughes. He makes their D-line better but it means something has to give elsewhere on the roster.

I have absolutely no idea how a team retaining a player at a higher price makes it better. That's just a baffling comment.

It's weird how you pump the Riders tires over two FA signings but have absolutely no issue trashing the Bombers. You sound like a homered out flatbilly.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
blue_or_die

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »

Hughes I guess, but a DE isn't going to make or break you.

Duron Carter was with them last year, and he may not be with them or anyone this year depending on how his two charges go.

Zach Collaros. lol. Yeah, real upgrade there. A guy who hasn't been good in two years, with health issues and a case of the yips. Based on that alone I can see the Riders getting worse.

pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 08:49:43 PM »

If Walters fails to build a somewhat repectable defense, changes gotta be made

But I thought is was all schemes like many have ranted about on here for years nonstop  Tongue   Roll Eyes

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
booch

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »

I think they have regressed...I would say that Glenn last year will have been better than the big question mark Zack is this year.
They gained Hughes, but still have no bonafide DT option or depth for that matter, as well as zero Canadian depth on their dline signed..Mackena Henry is a joke and only one they have...and are going to be tight against the cap addressing it.

They lost Knox JR...Kacey Rogers...The Canadian Bouka and doubt Brouilette is back..even so he sucked

bagg is older and trending down..Demski good as gone..OTackle Campbell too I bet...possibly Dennis too....Dyakowski and Clarke are another year older..and closer to being less than average than average....not to mention as it sits they have 35% of their cap tied up in what..8 or 9 guys?/

Yeah...bigtime getting better

Horseman

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 08:56:32 PM »

How does signing Zach "Epic Yips" Collaros and retaining Carter - who's now dealing with off-field legal issues - make them better, much less a contender in the West? Both came at a substantial cost, much likes Hughes. He makes their D-line better but it means something has to give elsewhere on the roster.

I have absolutely no idea how a team retaining a player at a higher price makes it better. That's just a baffling comment.

It's weird how you pump the Riders tires over two FA signings but have absolutely no issue trashing the Bombers. You sound like a homered out flatbilly.

You seem to have difficulty understanding things, I know now from your past comments that you are truly benighted and again, I say if you don't like what I post, please feel free to not read it. When someone posts something you don't like to read, you go on the attack. If Zack C. can have a good season from a change of scenery, then as much as it will make me sick, the Riders will be a strong contender in the west whether you want to admit it or not.
kkc60

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »

But I thought is was all schemes like many have ranted about on here for years nonstop  Tongue   Roll Eyes

So? If our defence costs us another season, I am saying changes will need to be made, which could include Walters scouting department if we still have holes at various positions that have existed for awhile 
Blue72

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »

I hope if MOS/Walters brings in Hurl only as a STer if at all ( hope not at all) that they don't plan on also using him as a backup MLB because we don't know how good JSK would be at that spot in the CFL. JSK played it before but not here in the CFL, and we all know that MOS and Hall are still in charge. There are 3 proven MLB available this year in FA so we will see what happens on Tuesday.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 11:04:43 PM »

You seem to have difficulty understanding things, I know now from your past comments that you are truly benighted and again, I say if you don't like what I post, please feel free to not read it. When someone posts something you don't like to read, you go on the attack. If Zack C. can have a good season from a change of scenery, then as much as it will make me sick, the Riders will be a strong contender in the west whether you want to admit it or not.

LOL Cheesy

Nice job getting defensive. You sure get upset easily.

It's hilarious how I contested your opinion and made a joke, and the best you can do is go full-blown ad hominen, and tell me to just ignore the content you post. That really says a lot about a person.

So, Collaros gets a change of scenery. Big deal. The Riders' O-line still isn't that good. Carter's legal issues are a distraction the team doesn't need, and this coming barely a month after he signed a contract extension worth more money. Hughes, as I said already, is a good acquisition to the D-line. But he didn't come cheap.

Sorry you're in such a foul mood, Horsie.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
GCn17

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 11:21:30 PM »

The Riders have not fixed any of their weaknesses. They spent bucket loads of cash fixing problems they didnt have. Will Collaros pass for 6000 yards like Glenn/Bridges did? Doubtful. Will Hughes be better than Antigha without a middle to the DL. Doubtful. They have shed talent to the NFL and have done nothing to fix a porous OL. They have not improved at all...theyve just changed players.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
the paw

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 11:22:53 PM »

I think they have regressed...I would say that Glenn last year will have been better than the big question mark Zack is this year.
They gained Hughes, but still have no bonafide DT option or depth for that matter, as well as zero Canadian depth on their dline signed..Mackena Henry is a joke and only one they have...and are going to be tight against the cap addressing it.

They lost Knox JR...Kacey Rogers...The Canadian Bouka and doubt Brouilette is back..even so he sucked

bagg is older and trending down..Demski good as gone..OTackle Campbell too I bet...possibly Dennis too....Dyakowski and Clarke are another year older..and closer to being less than average than average....not to mention as it sits they have 35% of their cap tied up in what..8 or 9 guys?/

Yeah...bigtime getting better

If Zack returns to form this year, the Riders are going to be tough.  they started slow last year, but really came on. They will start this year off with real running backs and a very good set of receivers.

now they are going to lose a couple of guys, as you point out, but they are going to have a chance to replace them in free agency.  Unless they muff it, they should be able to get a good DB or two.

I think they have a hole at DT, and they may be relying on Bladek to step up and start instead of Clark and that could be a vulnerability.  Bagg is another year older, and if they don't re-sign Demski, their NI content is thinned out a bit.  And of course, if Zack doesn't return to form, they will have problems.

I am not saying they are winning the division, but at this stage I don't see any dogs in the West.  Any of the 5 teams could finish first or last.  Even the Stamps.  They are turning over some key veterans, and if Bo were to bust an ankle their QB options are scary.  

grab grass 'n growl
'16 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab Black Out Edition

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 11:25:58 PM »

LOL Cheesy

It's hilarious how I contested your opinion and made a joke, and the best you can do is go full-blown ad hominen, and tell me to just ignore the content you post. That really says a lot about a person.

So, Collaros gets a change of scenery. Big deal. The Riders' O-line still isn't that good. Carter's legal issues are a distraction the team doesn't need, and this coming barely a month after he signed a contract extension worth more money. Hughes, as I said already, is a good acquisition to the D-line. But he didn't come cheap.

not going to lie, I had to look that word up, lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Pigskin

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »

If we don't get a true MLB. I hope we can put up a lot of points.
Horseman

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2018, 08:11:48 PM »

LOL Cheesy

Not getting defensive, I am just choosing now to ignore you. If you think the Riders are going to be the free spot on the bingo card, you are in for a big surprise. With Hall as our DC we will see more of the same defence as last year. It maybe sad to watch our defence again this year. Horsie out! Tongue
Jesse

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2018, 11:49:14 PM »

Listening to the Walters presser, it doesn?t sound like his top priority.
theaardvark

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 12:49:01 AM »

Listening to the Walters presser, it doesn?t sound like his top priority.

Pretty sure he's not going to release his plans for free agency in a presser.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn17

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »

Pretty sure he's not going to release his plans for free agency in a presser.

His pre-FA pressers from the past several years have not been misleading in any way. I think we sign one player on day one and go bargain shopping on day 2.

bunker

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 02:22:17 PM »

I will be surprised if we don't go after a real MLB. Its the biggest hole on our roster. Relying upon Wild to last the season, or either JSK or Wild to be above average at MLB is bad planning. Wild was just OK at WIL, (I think he is in decline), and JSK was good. Get a real MLB, start JSK at WIL, and let Wild be a DI. I get that Walter's has to have a default plan, but I really hope its a last resort.
the paw

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2018, 02:48:36 PM »

I will be surprised if we don't go after a real MLB. Its the biggest hole on our roster. Relying upon Wild to last the season, or either JSK or Wild to be above average at MLB is bad planning. Wild was just OK at WIL, (I think he is in decline), and JSK was good. Get a real MLB, start JSK at WIL, and let Wild be a DI. I get that Walter's has to have a default plan, but I really hope its a last resort.

I think he is going to get a linebacker, and I think it plays out one of two ways.   If he doesn't think he can land Westerman, and Konar hits free agency, I could see a play there to keep a NI starter on defence.  Losing Westerman is the only likely way we can afford Konar. 

The other way, IMHO, is that he won't necessarily go for Woods, Reed or any of the bigger MLB names.  I think he would look to start Wild and Santos-Knox, and fill in behind them with a Tony Burnett type of role.  An up and comer, special teams killer, who is still affordable.  I could see Reggie Northrup from the Als, Cam Ontko from the Riders, Maleki Harris from the Stamps or Hoffman-Ellis from the Esks being possible fits. 

grab grass 'n growl
Pigskin

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »

Konar would be a very nice pickup.
bunker

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »

I think he is going to get a linebacker, and I think it plays out one of two ways.   If he doesn't think he can land Westerman, and Konar hits free agency, I could see a play there to keep a NI starter on defence.  Losing Westerman is the only likely way we can afford Konar. 

The other way, IMHO, is that he won't necessarily go for Woods, Reed or any of the bigger MLB names.  I think he would look to start Wild and Santos-Knox, and fill in behind them with a Tony Burnett type of role.  An up and comer, special teams killer, who is still affordable.  I could see Reggie Northrup from the Als, Cam Ontko from the Riders, Maleki Harris from the Stamps or Hoffman-Ellis from the Esks being possible fits. 
Thanks for that. My understanding is that Konar played WIL last year. Can he play MLB? Or is it then JSK?

As an aside, I came across this quote, and it made me shudder:

?I described Adam to most scouts this year as the next Sam Hurl in the CFL,? Nill told TSN in March, 2015.

Hopefully, he's exceeding those expectations.

Horseman

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »

Walters needs to sign either Dean from Hamilton or Reed from Ottawa as our new MLB.
gbill2004

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »

Walters needs to sign either Dean from Hamilton or Reed from Ottawa as our new MLB.
Agreed.  I have a feeling that Dean re-signs with Hamilton though.  I read this morning they are making Laurent and Dean priority. 
Horseman

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2018, 03:59:02 PM »

Agreed.  I have a feeling that Dean re-signs with Hamilton though.  I read this morning they are making Laurent and Dean priority. 

Well if that happens, then if I was Walters I would make Reed my first choice and Bear Woods would become my defaulted second option.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »

Thanks for that. My understanding is that Konar played WIL last year. Can he play MLB? Or is it then JSK?

As an aside, I came across this quote, and it made me shudder:

?I described Adam to most scouts this year as the next Sam Hurl in the CFL,? Nill told TSN in March, 2015.

Hopefully, he's exceeding those expectations.

Konar most likely heading for BC, especially with Hervey in place.
gbill2004

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2018, 04:25:37 PM »

Konar most likely heading for BC, especially with Hervey in place.
I heard that rumor as well. 
gbill2004

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »

From Bauming:

All four East Division clubs have announced signings of pending free agents this morning. I don't expect the #Bombers to join the party, but... if they did with one, it may be a reconsideration from Jamaal Westerman.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 04:49:20 PM »

From Bauming:

All four East Division clubs have announced signings of pending free agents this morning. I don't expect the #Bombers to join the party, but... if they did with one, it may be a reconsideration from Jamaal Westerman.

Sounds like we've given Jamaal our best offer. If he waits until free agency begins that money might not be there anymore.

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 04:58:18 PM »

hate to sound stupid, but... what does 'a reconsideration from Jamaal Westerman' mean?

did we give another offer? or did he counter a previous offer? I'm just not sure what is meant there...

gbill2004

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 04:59:44 PM »

hate to sound stupid, but... what does 'a reconsideration from Jamaal Westerman' mean?

did we give another offer? or did he counter a previous offer? I'm just not sure what is meant there...
Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe reconsider raising their last offer a little? 

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 05:02:17 PM »

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe reconsider raising their last offer a little? 

thank god it isn't just me... the way it's worded makes it hard to know just exactly what did happen there, lol...

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 05:05:25 PM »

Sounds as if we reached the point in negotiations where Walters said this is our best and final offer. Jamaal and his agent said no thank you, we'll try free agency. The reconsideration is if Jamaal blinks and agrees to terms of our final offer. If he doesn't, he may or may not get more money and Walters might spend his money elsewhere leaving Jamaal looking for a new home. I am aware that this is me seriously reading between the lines, but that's my interpretation. Yours could certainly vary.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:09:48 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »

Sounds as if we reached the point in negotiations where Walters said this is our best and final offer. Jamaal and his agent said no thank you, we'll try free agency. The reconsideration is if Jamaal blinks and agrees to terms of our final offer. If he doesn't, he may or may not get more money and Walters might spend his money elsewhere leaving Jamaal for a new home. I am aware that this is me seriously reading between the lines, but that's my interpretation. Yours could certainly vary.

no, that makes sense... if nothing else its a heck of a lot better than what I had to offer up, lol...  and just so you know, I won't hold you to this in the event there is some little variation of the theory down the road, lol...

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 05:10:30 PM »

no, that makes sense... if nothing else its a heck of a lot better than what I had to offer up, lol...  and just so you know, I won't hold you to this in the event there is some little variation of the theory down the road, lol...

You can hold me to it; I'm wrong all the time. I don't mind.  Tongue

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »

You can hold me to it; I'm wrong all the time. I don't mind.  Tongue

you'd think by now that I would have learned that I am as well... my skull is probably a little thicker than yours...  Grin

GCn17

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 06:49:23 PM »

I would think it means that our offer made him think about it a lot before he passed it up, but he really wants to be here.

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 06:57:09 PM »

I would think it means that our offer made him think about it a lot before he passed it up, but he really wants to be here.

interesting, I could see that as well... I do know one thing, sure makes for a tense 22 hours to come...  Smiley

booch

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:09 PM »

knowing that this is most likely his last contract...I bet he wants to weigh the Winnipeg offer against what free-agency gives him...the pro's and con's of the new city..chance for success...play-off cash...etc..and then choose...or say hey if u can meet such and such dollar figure that team X has offered I will stay in the Peg.

and don't blame him for that....it's from my understanding too that we offered to extend him prior to the season being over but he wanted to wait so declined...don't quote me on that, but I think that is generally how it went
GCn17

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 07:04:07 PM »

Can't blame a guy for wanting to test his worth.

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »

I'd rather take a beating than have to move though, lol... just sayin'...

Horseman

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »

knowing that this is most likely his last contract...I bet he wants to weigh the Winnipeg offer against what free-agency gives him...the pro's and con's of the new city..chance for success...play-off cash...etc..and then choose...or say hey if u can meet such and such dollar figure that team X has offered I will stay in the Peg.

and don't blame him for that....it's from my understanding too that we offered to extend him prior to the season being over but he wanted to wait so declined...don't quote me on that, but I think that is generally how it went

The problem with doing that is Walters will not hold the money that was quoted to him after FA starts, as the Bombers will spend that money on another player and Westerman will be SOL. This happened to Johhny Sears one year, he wanted to wait and test free agency rather than accept the offer the Bombers made to him. When he realized the Bombers offer wasn't as bad as he thought and he came back wanting the amount that was previously offered, it wasn't there as we spent it on another player. You have to either accept the money offered prior to FA or be committed to moving or possibly signing for less with your original team as the money from the original offer will be gone.
GCn17

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 07:31:24 PM »

I'd rather take a beating than have to move though, lol... just sayin'...

That may be what gets him to reconsider. I guess it all depends what our offer is.

Pigskin

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »

If Walters is letting JW walk, he has a plan to replace him. Love JW but sometimes these guys want why more then a team can afford to pay.
GCn17

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2018, 07:39:43 PM »

If Walters is letting JW walk, he has a plan to replace him. Love JW but sometimes these guys want why more then a team can afford to pay.

Sometimes other team want a player more. It happens.

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »

so, who else is out there that wouldn't be taking a step backwards with a proper passport?

the paw

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2018, 08:00:13 PM »

so, who else is out there that wouldn't be taking a step backwards with a proper passport?

Well, if you are talking apples to apples, there isn't another Canadian DE at Westerman's level, full stop.   If Tristan O. stays healthy all year and Jeffcoat continues to improve, then I think our DE situation is a little weaker but still good.  It's more the ratio replacement.

Ted Laurent could play DT at a level comparable to the way Westerman plays DE. But expensive.  Konar had a great year last year at WIL, hard to say if he continues to play at that level, but he could definitely be a defensive starter.  Zack Evans at DT would be okay, but will get good coin as well.  After that, I would say we are downgrading our talent noticeably. 

Gbill's theory is that we will replace him with ratio on the offensive side, but I'm not convinced. 

grab grass 'n growl
gbill2004

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »

Well, if you are talking apples to apples, there isn't another Canadian DE at Westerman's level, full stop.   If Tristan O. stays healthy all year and Jeffcoat continues to improve, then I think our DE situation is a little weaker but still good.  It's more the ratio replacement.

Ted Laurent could play DT at a level comparable to the way Westerman plays DE. But expensive.  Konar had a great year last year at WIL, hard to say if he continues to play at that level, but he could definitely be a defensive starter.  Zack Evans at DT would be okay, but will get good coin as well.  After that, I would say we are downgrading our talent noticeably. 

Gbill's theory is that we will replace him with ratio on the offensive side, but I'm not convinced. 
It's a theory, but I'm not married to it  Wink  I do see some issues with starting 6 Canadians on offense.  Hopefully things become more clear tomorrow.  Ideally Westerman returns, but it's not looking likely. 
TBURGESS

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »

Westerman is an NI who plays at an import level. Assuming he's moving on, he'll be greatly missed from a ratio and a good to great player perspective. Any NI that we bring in to replace him will cost a lot or won't be anywhere near as good.

Being right never gets old.
gbill2004

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »

Westerman is an NI who plays at an import level. Assuming he's moving on, he'll be greatly missed from a ratio and a good to great player perspective. Any NI that we bring in to replace him will cost a lot or won't be anywhere near as good.
In theory Demski could replace him and will cost close to half what Westerman was making. Now Westerman is elite and Demski is not.
TBURGESS

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 08:20:01 PM »

In theory Demski could replace him and will cost close to half what Westerman was making. Now Westerman is elite and Demski is not.
Cheaper, but not as good and we'd have to go with 2 NI receivers for Demski to replace Westerman, which downgrades our offence.

BlueInCgy

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2018, 08:21:01 PM »

We'd have to elevate Coates or Wolitarsky to starting line up as well as Demski, providing it's an either/or scenario with Demski and JFG, or is my math wrong?  And Hurl (hopefully) isn't starting at MLB, so we're running short there as well.
gbill2004

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »

We'd have to elevate Coates or Wolitarsky to starting line up as well as Demski, providing it's an either/or scenario with Demski and JFG, or is my math wrong?  And Hurl (hopefully) isn't starting at MLB, so we're running short there as well.
Exactly...Demski and Coates as starters with Wolitarsky as their backup. 
gbill2004

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2018, 08:23:38 PM »

Cheaper, but not as good and we'd have to go with 2 NI receivers for Demski to replace Westerman, which downgrades our offence.
But with Harris, Bowman, Adams, Dressler, do we really need to start another American receiver?  Maybe not since there's only so many targets to go around, and Demski is no slouch.  Just trying to put myself in Walters shoes...
BlueInCgy

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2018, 08:24:02 PM »

Nevermind, I forgot Neufeld for Bond, so we can still hurl Hurl.
gbill2004

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »

Nevermind, I forgot Neufeld for Bond, so we can still hurl Hurl.
Correct.  Walters said we will be staring 3 Canadians on the OL this year. 
BlueInCgy

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »

Will feel better if we sign Steele or Mrabure at the very least as insurance in case Neufeld hits the tub early in the season (ratio reasons, not positional).
gbill2004

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2018, 08:31:16 PM »

Will feel better if we sign Steele or Mrabure at the very least as insurance in case Neufeld hits the tub early in the season (ratio reasons, not positional).
If/when Neufeld hits the tub, I assume Couture or Spooner will be starting. 
BlueInCgy

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »

If/when Neufeld hits the tub, I assume Couture or Spooner will be starting. 

Me too.  I just want there to be zero chance that Hurl ends up being the prettiest girl at the bar at closing time if we keep him around for any reason.
TBURGESS

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2018, 08:46:23 PM »

But with Harris, Bowman, Adams, Dressler, do we really need to start another American receiver?  Maybe not since there's only so many targets to go around, and Demski is no slouch.  Just trying to put myself in Walters shoes...
Demski has 725 total yards receiving in his 3 year career, so I wouldn't put him up there with import receivers. He's actually been a better returner than receiver so far.

Coates is just OK and Wolitarsky is completely untested (Hint: He's got Jade Etienne numbers so far, 1 catch for 15 yards). I'd much rather upgrade Coates with Demski and sign/start Westerman. We'd be in a better spot talent and ratio wise and would still be able to handle losing a staring NI.

gbill2004

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2018, 08:50:15 PM »

Demski has 725 total yards receiving in his 3 year career, so I wouldn't put him up there with import receivers. He's actually been a better returner than receiver so far.

Coates is just OK and Wolitarsky is completely untested (Hint: He's got Jade Etienne numbers so far, 1 catch for 15 yards). I'd much rather upgrade Coates with Demski and sign/start Westerman. We'd be in a better spot talent and ratio wise and would still be able to handle losing a staring NI.
Of course that?s the ideal. But replacing Westerman with Demski as a Canadian starter saves ~$60-80k in cap room, and we still have 2 stud DEs in Okpalaugo and Jeffcoat.
TBURGESS

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2018, 09:03:20 PM »

Of course that?s the ideal. But replacing Westerman with Demski as a Canadian starter saves ~$60-80k in cap room, and we still have 2 stud DEs in Okpalaugo and Jeffcoat.
I doubt that Demski saves that much cap room, and quite frankly, what's a better use of the SMS than signing good to great starting Canadians?

gbill2004

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:35 PM »

I doubt that Demski saves that much cap room, and quite frankly, what's a better use of the SMS than signing good to great starting Canadians?
Westerman at $180k and Demski at $100-120k. Westerman made $175k last year and is reportedly looking for a raise.
TBURGESS

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »

Westerman at $180k and Demski at $100-120k. Westerman made $175k last year and is reportedly looking for a raise.
Fair enough, if those are the numbers.

There are always opportunities to save money by reducing the talent level on the team. We could draft a guy and expect him to play year one. We could pick up some players on day 2 or 3 who no one else really wants. We could bring in some young guys to replace some of our vets. All of those save money and most likely reduce the talent level.

Westerman is going to get his money. Either we pay it or someone else will. He may even find out that no one wants to pay him more than Winnipeg and still sign with us. My point is that we're better with him than without him and saving 60K of SMS space doesn't really matter that much. Heck, I'm sure we can make it work SMS wise to sign both of them.

gbill2004

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2018, 09:44:23 PM »

Fair enough, if those are the numbers.

There are always opportunities to save money by reducing the talent level on the team. We could draft a guy and expect him to play year one. We could pick up some players on day 2 or 3 who no one else really wants. We could bring in some young guys to replace some of our vets. All of those save money and most likely reduce the talent level.

Westerman is going to get his money. Either we pay it or someone else will. He may even find out that no one wants to pay him more than Winnipeg and still sign with us. My point is that we're better with him than without him and saving 60K of SMS space doesn't really matter that much. Heck, I'm sure we can make it work SMS wise to sign both of them.

Plus Walters had to give some guys raises, like Nichols, Bryant, Randle, Hardrick.  Bowman costs more than Denmark.  Plus he still has other spots to fill.  And for all I know, maybe Westerman wants $200k+.  I just know he wants a raise on his $175k from last year.     
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:48:44 PM by gbill2004 » Logged
BlueInCgy

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2018, 09:49:59 PM »

I agree we can probably make it work, and it's not solely the WBB that aren't getting the deal done.  Both Heath and Westerman (rightfully) want to see who the highest bidder will be, and without actually getting to FA, there's no way of knowing that (neither one of the has deep ties to the community, and realize that their career choice is somewhat nomadic).  And they might be in for a shock (unlikely, but possible) when the offers that come in aren't the numbers their agents told them they'd get, or lands them on a team like Montreal, and then decisions must be made. 

I actually respect Huff for what he said to Messam - Go out and find out what the market deems your value at, and if you want to talk after that, come back and we will see what we can do, but otherwise, thanks for your efforts, and best of luck.  
TBURGESS

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »

Plus Walters had to give some guys raises, like Nichols, Bryant, Randle, Hardrick.  Bowman costs more than Denmark.  Plus he still has other spots to fill.  And for all I know, maybe Westerman wants $200k+.  I just know he wants a raise on his $175k from last year.     
We reduced the SMS (At the time of typing) by the cost of: Bond, Davis, Denmark, JFG, Heath, Hurl, Knox, LeFevour, Normand, Thomas and Westerman . (That's a lot of NI talent BTW)

Bond, Heath and Westerman will all be highly sought after and well paid.

gbill2004

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2018, 10:02:30 PM »

We reduced the SMS (At the time of typing) by the cost of: Bond, Davis, Denmark, JFG, Heath, Hurl, Knox, LeFevour, Normand, Thomas and Westerman . (That's a lot of NI talent BTW)

All the guys you listed as reducing the SMS cost, still need to be replaced somehow.  It's not like that's just free money to give to Westerman.  Walters needs to offset the salary increases by finding some cheaper players. 
GCn17

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »

When you have a NAT that is as good or better than his ?MP peers you gotta make him a priority. I would think we gave Westerman a very good offer, he just wants to test what his market value is imo.

NorthernSkunk

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2018, 11:27:46 PM »

They are saving the Westerman and Heath signings for tomorrow to get everyone excited for the season.....
theaardvark

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2018, 12:09:02 AM »

Most of those guys may actually raise SMS as they are on affordable contracts...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: