Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2018, 02:37:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers sign Adarius Bowman!  (Read 5895 times)
'16 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab Black Out Edition

« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »

You make strong statements like that...you get a strong reaction. Chevelle is acting like he wasn't stoking the fire but the proof is in the pudding. For some reason he has an axe to grind with the Bowman signing but without watching the guy play.... Huh.

you consider those to be 'strong statements'? honestly? lol... come on, you can do better than that... strong statements, lol....

I have no axe to grind here and I'm not stoking any fires... you know what they say, the fox smells his own a** first... maybe that applies here?  just sayin'

and I haven't watched Mr. Bowman play as much as everyone else here, but I assure you I have seen him play on multiple occasions. So, there you go again, misleading other members here saying that I haven't done something that I have actually done.  Yet, I'm the bad guy... sounds reasonable...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn17

« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2018, 04:44:18 PM »

like I've said before, read into it what you want.... another member straight up lied to me and you all have no problem with that what so ever... I list stats to show that he was lying and I'm the bad guy, I'm the one with an agenda... sure, whatever...

and I don't think anyone is picking on me, lol... and to be quite honest, I wouldn't care if you are... it changes nothing in my life, so, if you want, or if it makes you feel better, feel free to pick on me at will because it will not bother me in the least... it's not like we're 12...

And if Edmonton cut him for cap reasons, doesn't that translate to 'he's not worth what he's asking'? Or, that his talent that he's proven capable of providing is no longer worth to them what they are paying for it?  I doubt any team cuts players that they think are worth more than what they are paying them for the services... wouldn't seem logical to get rid of that person and bring in a lesser skilled person for the same or more money, not to me anyway...

And when I say, 'maybe he's not the bargain everyone thinks/thought he was' leaves just as great a chance that he IS... 

Maybe it some of you that are being extremely too sensitive... but long story short, if you want to lie to me and misled me, don't be surprised when you get caught in a lie...

if you can sit there and say that there is no reason at all to have any concerns, any doubts, any apprehensions, any worries about signing a 32 year old man, coming off the worse season of his career (other than his rookie year), that has yet to play an entire season in that now 10 year career, and coming off a hamstring injury... maybe it's not me that has the agenda here...

I said multiple times that I'm good with the signing, as long as it doesn't affect the needed changes for the defense. I've said that adding him has improved our offense. Then I get lied to and misled, and I'm the bad guy...

in the mean time, feel free to continue to point out how I'm wrong or how I'm playing to my agenda, or anything else you would like to do or say... I'm ok with it...

I can positively say with no agenda whatsoever that I have zero doubt that Bowman is worth every penny we are paying him. I have been critical of Walters work many, many times in the past and will call a spade a spade. This is easily one of the best signings he has ever made. Bowman is an elite receiver in this league. He was not cut because he has nothing left to give, he was cut because Ed Hervey signed him to a 265k deal and that was ridiculous for any non-QB IMP player to be making.

The Esks could have cut him last year when he was making 250k...but didn't because they had the cap room to keep him and knew he was elite. This year they realized that they needed to give the money to other players in order to chase a championship. Simple as that.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #257 on: February 12, 2018, 04:47:12 PM »

I'm confused as to what we're arguing here? Bowman is good. He's the best (or possibly second best) receiver on our team. He's had a ton of success over the last four years. If we got him for $140,000 that's a really good deal. We needed to add a big-bodied receiver. He's a big-bodied receiver. He's fantastic in the community. He doesn't come with baggage. He's a great signing and we should be happy we've got him.

« Reply #258 on: February 12, 2018, 04:53:03 PM »

I'm confused as to what we're arguing here? Bowman is good. He's the best (or possibly second best) receiver on our team. He's had a ton of success over the last four years. If we got him for $140,000 that's a really good deal. We needed to add a big-bodied receiver. He's a big-bodied receiver. He's fantastic in the community. He doesn't come with baggage. He's a great signing and we should be happy we've got him.

you and me both... my comment was in reply to a quote that someone directed at me, no more no less. I'll concede all the points you made above, other than it's still speculation as to what we got him for... how one determine success or failure is a relative thing, so everyone should feel free to come to their own determinations of it... And I'll be very happy as long as it doesn't impact our ability to improve the defense, which is still to be seen.... happy, happy, happy.... that's me, just happy!

« Reply #259 on: February 12, 2018, 04:55:27 PM »

I can positively say with no agenda whatsoever that I have zero doubt that Bowman is worth every penny we are paying him. I have been critical of Walters work many, many times in the past and will call a spade a spade. This is easily one of the best signings he has ever made. Bowman is an elite receiver in this league. He was not cut because he has nothing left to give, he was cut because Ed Hervey signed him to a 265k deal and that was ridiculous for any non-QB IMP player to be making.

The Esks could have cut him last year when he was making 250k...but didn't because they had the cap room to keep him and knew he was elite. This year they realized that they needed to give the money to other players in order to chase a championship. Simple as that.

lets just agree to, I don't know what... disagree?  Let's just agree to move along.... how about that... I'm good with that... and hopefully you are as well, because of right now, this very second, I've already moved on...

NorthernSkunk

« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »

I don't think we will see a '14-'16 version of Bowman, but I think he will put up very good numbers...something like 1200 yards, 6-8 TDs.  But more importantly he will change the entire dynamic of the offense by really opening things up. With Adams, Dressler, Bowman and Harris all on the field at the same time, defenses won't be able to key in on anyone.  I can't wait...the offence is going to be really exciting this season!  

I think 1200 yards is a bit of a stretch.....6 td's if he don't get hurt too early into the season..
Colton

« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2018, 05:10:39 PM »

like I've said before, read into it what you want.... another member straight up lied to me and you all have no problem with that what so ever... I list stats to show that he was lying and I'm the bad guy, I'm the one with an agenda... sure, whatever...

Nobody lied to you. The post you quoted said he believed his best TD total was around 10 (It's 9), and then referenced that in Bowman's last full season he had 100+ yards a game, which he did.

You're taking that post faaaaar to literally.
GCn17

« Reply #262 on: February 12, 2018, 05:13:36 PM »

Nobody lied to you. The post you quoted said he believed his best TD total was around 10 (It's 9), and then referenced that in Bowman's last full season he had 100+ yards a game, which he did.

You're taking that post faaaaar to literally.

For sure.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2018, 05:14:40 PM »

with absolutely no respect, you do realize that I was replying to a statement made by someone other than myself that claimed Bowman was a 100 yard per game receiver, right? And that he scored around 10 TD's a season? He was the one talking out the other side of his head, not me. How it is possible for me to have no clue when all I did was provide you with stats? How is it that I am bias when all I did was provide stats?  I didn't make up the stats, they came directly from the CFL. Explain to me how a stat can be bias.... I'd love to hear this.  Just because you don't like what it says, don't blame me. 

Ol' whats his name tried to feed me line of crap saying that Bowman is a 100 yard a game receiver, and he's not. It seems it's ok for others here to flat out lie and nobody says a word. And no, I didn't realize that 56 yards a game made you a superstar, I have never heard anyone ever say that. I will say that 56 does seem like an odd number, but oh well. I reported straight up facts, not opinion, verifiable, published stats and I'm bias and have no clue?  I guess I'm just not part of the good ol' boys club around here.

so, if I go and watch youtube, will it makes those stats grow? Maybe they should start putting asterisks by all these superstar's stats with a footnote that explains to us new fans that instead of looking at their stats we should just disregard them and go watch youtube?

And I didn't try to tell you anything, I just mused that maybe it wasn't the bargain that everyone thinks it is... I didn't claim that he was wash-up, beyond his prime, incapable, etc.... I merely provided everyone with his stats, you all are reading everything else into it...

buy hey, like I told ol' gbill, if you're happy, I'm elated...

Oh, this is fun.

First off, with regards to TDs, what I said was I believed his best season was around 10 TDs, I did not say he was a 10 TD a year receiver, and it was in response to your "he better at least contribute 2 TDs a game then" comment, which I was pointing out was a fairly ridiculous expectation, especially based on his best season.  I was off by 1 TD for that season, and that's why I said "around 10 TDs", so if you're going to pick a fight, start on the right foot.

To your issue with the 100+ yard comment I made, yes I was basing that on his last healthy season, 2016.  His previous two years were in fact less than that.  Now, how many other receivers in CFL history have averaged over 100 yards a game in any single season.

Allen Pitts (twice)
Terry Greer
Derrell Mitchell
Hal Patterson (who holds the record for most yards in a game that year at 338)
Milt Stegall
Geroy Simon
Derrell Smith
Brian Kelly
Jamel Richardson

(there may be a couple more, but I would have to correlate # of teams and games as the seasons have not always been 18 game seasons)

With the exception of Richardson (EDIT - and Greer and Smith, I don't want A51 66 to get mad about stats again), those are all CFL Hall of Famers.  And, important to note, is in 2016, Derrell Walker had 1610 yards in receptions, which was in no small part having to do with the fact that defenses had to plan for both receivers, hence my point about drawing extra defensive coverage.

Now, let's take a look at some other stats from recent history that you seem to be glossing over

2016 - Adarius Bowman #1 in receiving yards, #1 in receptions (good for fifth overall in CFL history)
2015 - Adarius Bowman #2 in receiving yards, #1 in receptions
2014 - Adarius Bowman #1 in receiving yards, #1 in receptions

Edmonton Eskimos Career Receptions - Fifth overall in team history (7 seasons played), 440 receptions.  325 of those receptions came in three season (14 - 16)
Edmonton Eskimos Career Receiving Yards - Seventh overall in team history (7 seasons played) 6516 yards.  4521 of those yards came in three seasons (14 - 16)
Edmonton Eskimos Career Single Game Receiving Yards - Eighth in teams history, 226 yards

Those are guaranteed first ballot HOF numbers.  Had he not been hurt last year, there's no reason to believe he would not have continued that trend.

Now, let's put some perspective on value.  In 2015, it is reported that the WBB were paying Nick Moore and Clarence Denmark around $180k each (source - http://3downnation.com/2015/04/07/decreased-salary-disparity-a-big-win-for-cfl/).  Denmark's best season (2014) was 1,080 yards, and Nick Moore's was 1,105 (2013 in BC).  We already know Bowman's stats for 2014, but in 2013, he racked up 697 yards in 9 games played.  Moore took 17 games to get to 1,105.  If we signed Adarius for $140K, that's extremely good value.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:57:21 PM by BlueInCgy » Logged
GCn17

« Reply #264 on: February 12, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »

you and me both... my comment was in reply to a quote that someone directed at me, no more no less. I'll concede all the points you made above, other than it's still speculation as to what we got him for... how one determine success or failure is a relative thing, so everyone should feel free to come to their own determinations of it... And I'll be very happy as long as it doesn't impact our ability to improve the defense, which is still to be seen.... happy, happy, happy.... that's me, just happy!

I'm glad you now agree that if we got him for 140k that it is a really good deal. It seems all this arguing has changed your opinion that he may not be worth that.

NorthernSkunk

« Reply #265 on: February 12, 2018, 05:20:13 PM »

How cute, your first fight here. Get used to it, if certain people on this forum don't like what you post they simply attack you as if you are not entitled to your opinion.

x2
GCn17

« Reply #266 on: February 12, 2018, 05:32:47 PM »

Oh, this is fun.

First off, with regards to TDs, what I said was I believed his best season was around 10 TDs, I did not say he was a 10 TD a year receiver, and it was in response to your "he better at least contribute 2 TDs a game then" comment, which I was pointing out was a fairly ridiculous expectation, especially based on his best season.  I was off by 1 TD for that season, and that's why I said "around 10 TDs", so if you're going to pick a fight, start on the right foot.

To your issue with the 100+ yard comment I made, yes I was basing that on his last healthy season, 2016.  His previous two years were in fact less than that.  Now, how many other receivers in CFL history have averaged over 100 yards a game in any single season.

Allen Pitts (twice)
Terry Greer
Derrell Mitchell
Hal Patterson (who holds the record for most yards in a game that year at 338)
Milt Stegall
Geroy Simon
Derrell Smith
Brian Kelly
Jamel Richardson

(there may be a couple more, but I would have to correlate # of teams and games as the seasons have not always been 18 game seasons)

With the exception of Richardson, those are all CFL Hall of Famers.  And, important to note, is in 2016, Derrell Walker had 1610 yards in receptions, which was in no small part having to do with the fact that defenses had to plan for both receivers, hence my point about drawing extra defensive coverage.

Now, let's take a look at some other stats from recent history that you seem to be glossing over

2016 - Adarius Bowman #1 in receiving yards, #1 in receptions (good for fifth overall in CFL history)
2015 - Adarius Bowman #2 in receiving yards, #1 in receptions
2014 - Adarius Bowman #1 in receiving yards, #1 in receptions

Edmonton Eskimos Career Receptions - Fifth overall in team history (7 seasons played), 440 receptions.  325 of those receptions came in three season (14 - 16)
Edmonton Eskimos Career Receiving Yards - Seventh overall in team history (7 seasons played) 6516 yards.  4521 of those yards came in three seasons (14 - 16)
Edmonton Eskimos Career Single Game Receiving Yards - Eighth in teams history, 226 yards

Those are guaranteed first ballot HOF numbers.  Had he not been hurt last year, there's no reason to believe he would not have continued that trend.

Now, let's put some perspective on value.  In 2015, it is reported that the WBB were paying Nick Moore and Clarence Denmark around $180k each (source - http://3downnation.com/2015/04/07/decreased-salary-disparity-a-big-win-for-cfl/).  Denmark's best season (2014) was 1,080 yards, and Nick Moore's was 1,105 (2013 in BC).  We already know Bowman's stats for 2014, but in 2013, he racked up 697 yards in 9 games played.  Moore took 17 games to get to 1,105.  If we signed Adarius for $140K, that's extremely good value.

For sure. 140k per year equates to fair market value for a 800-900 yard receiver. It's what we signed Kenny Stafford for last year and what pretty much any 3rd or 4th veteran receiver can expect to make in this league. Guys who Bowman has outperformed in the past several year, Ernest Jackson, Manny Arceneaux, Duron Carter, etc. etc. are all making 190k+...some as high as 250k.

Horseman

« Reply #267 on: February 12, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »

I dont think the ball is intended to bounce. I think its usually thrown too short unintentionally . If the ball skips off the ground five yards away from the receiver in the backfield, chances of a turnover.  Quarterback usually hucks it so quickly he underthrows the receiver. Either way its not a great play. Best is when you throw those and the player can take off himself with ball .

No, "The Bounce Pass" as it is called is intentionally thrown so it bounces off the ground to the receiver who is to the side and slightly behind the QB which makes it a lateral pass and as such a live ball. The receiver will then throw the ball after it bounces directly to him down the field to an open target hopefully after the defender stops his coverage because he thinks its an incomplete pass because his angle of view is that he sees a pass bouncing off the turf. I haven't seen it used in a number of years and never at the professional level, but it is a legal play.

Here is you tube link to the play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf5twKdd0mk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:39:29 PM by Horseman » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
  Print  

Jump to: