Blue Bombers Forum
October 23, 2018, 10:56:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Must increase the Salary cap!  (Read 6658 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 07:02:49 PM »

there shouldn't be any reason why the CFL couldn't perform as well and have as big of draw as a college conference does here in the states. And no, I know that there isn't enough interest north to support it, so don't even go there. However, if the CFL were to do something similar to what the SEC did, create their own channel/network, with proper marketing I believe they could pull similar numbers. You have to remember that the majority of the SEC viewership is the south east portion of the states. While the CFL wouldn't be as concentrated it could pull viewership from all states.  Here's the kind of money the SEC Conference pulled in 2016-17 fiscal year, and this excludes ticket sales and direct university revenues, this is just the conference for redistribution...

From RockMNation.com

"The SEC generated $596.9 million in revenue for the 2016-17 fiscal year and distributed an average of approximately $40.9 million to 14 members, the league announced Thursday.

The average distribution from the league does not include bowl revenue retained by participating schools, which totals $23.1 million. The SEC?s payout for the most recent fiscal year, which ended Aug. 31, represents a slight increase from fiscal year 2015-16, when the league generated $584.2 million and distributed approximately $40.4 million to its members, excluding bowl money. [...]

The SEC currently distributes the most revenue, on average, to its members. The Big Ten is second after distributing $34.8 million to its fully vested members in its 2016 fiscal year, the most recent to be reported."

and before all of the Debbie Doubters say it's not possible, image if they could secure just half of this, $20M per team... you could raise the SMS to $20M and they, each team, could keep the $30M they already generate for operating expense. This would mean that the entry level salary could be somewhere around $200K-$225K, enough to get and keep talented players. If you can pay a player like that, there is less interest to go south, some may even have no interest, who knows...

SEC Network is carried on DirecTV, Dish, Cox, Google Fiber, and then select games are carried on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and some regular Networks. If the NFL Network, which would be another prime candidate to carry additional programming, can keep year round viewership, just think what they could do program wise if they had the CFL to fill in the non stop reruns of daily programming they do now.

Someone with vision needs to be running this league...

CFL ahead of the times - maybe too early...give this a read Chevelle:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_Network
Tehedra

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 07:23:53 PM »

I don't disagree with chevelle, I think a more concentrated expansion of a airing the shows would help. You might not even need to expand the teams, just getting our game in front of an audience might be enough. He does have a point, all it might take is the CFL network to be ran the right way.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 07:29:14 PM »

CFL ahead of the times - maybe too early...give this a read Chevelle:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_Network

great read and very informational as well... and you are right, ahead of their time... however, things have changed dramatically in last 30 years, both in technology and available avenues to market and present your product. Plus, tape delayed anything is pointless, in this world of the internet you can be updated by the second, viewing has to have the same capabilities... I know you know that, and I think you are right, they were just a little too early...

if soccer, international soccer no less, can gain a viewership here in the USA I have to believe that there is opportunity here. Go to a NCAA soccer game, they may be 25 fans there watching. Yet you can find soccer on the tube almost anytime. I never watch it, but it shows that there is an audience for a sport that isn't played here. And by played here I mean the teams on the tube are not from here and a heck of a lot further away than Canada.

Now seems like an opportunity, there are a lot of fans unhappy with the current NFL product and with the quality of the CFL product there is opportunity to capture these fans. Oddly enough, I spent considerably more time following the CFL this year than the NFL. I would watch a CFL over a NFL game other than maybe a Chiefs game, maybe.  Plus, with the glut of people that are into Fantasy Football, the money involved... put it in front of them...

And, if the money is there, it is entirely possible to think that you could expand the league by 3 teams. There is already talk of a Halifax expansion, I don't think that it's a stretch to think that you could find interest in an up and coming league for 2 entities to be interested in funding 2 more teams.

Yet, I concede the fact that I'm an optimist, and I see the glass as half full... but if any time was right it would be now... if the XFL makes a successful run at it there may not be as good an opportunity once they are established... or, we can all just sit back and claim there is nothing that can be done and accept whatever fate comes this way...  I'm more of a 'make it happen' type of person, forgive my zeal...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Jockitch

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 07:34:42 PM »

Let's not be ready to give TSN to much credit ....... after all, they can't seem to see the light beyond Rod Black.

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP BOUND

HUSTLE & MUSCLE IN "18"
66 Chevelle

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »

I don't disagree with chevelle, I think a more concentrated expansion of a airing the shows would help. You might not even need to expand the teams, just getting our game in front of an audience might be enough. He does have a point, all it might take is the CFL network to be ran the right way.

I never once thought through out the year that only 9 teams was an issue. Like someone else noted, it makes the league 'cozy' because you can be familiar with all of the players, hence generate more interest... I'm just saying that if the money is there I think there would be additional interest in team ownership. But, I don't think there is a need to expand to be successful...

There are a lot of fans like me that would want to see the guys that play on Saturday have a professional opportunity... to say that if any one CFL team had 4 or 5 players from any one of the Power 5 teams, say Missouri, that the fan base wouldn't follow, well, you are greatly under estimating the fan support of these teams and players... Like I've said before, MU on average sits 62,500 at each home game... Then throw in the viewership due to every one of their games being televised? it's huge...

People don't want to see 1 game a month on ESPNU, but give them something they can follow consistently and through out the entire season, especially when it's done without the competition of any other football?Huh? seriously, there is someone knocking at the door, will someone please answer it!

and in closing, it's not like I'm a fellow Canadian trying to sell a product that I've watched from childhood... I'm saying as an American, that there is value in this great product known as the CFL...  The Superbowl is tomorrow, yet here I am trying to sell CFL expansion... believe me, there is a ton of programming on right now pregaming the big one...

NorthernSkunk

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 08:22:06 PM »

Let's not be ready to give TSN to much credit ....... after all, they can't seem to see the light beyond Rod Black.

My liver is appreciating not having to play the Rod Black drinking game....
theaardvark

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 11:01:16 PM »

CFL vs. NCAA is a discussion that is a non starter. 

The coaches in the NCAA can make more than a CFL teams total budget, a single game gate is probably more than some teams annual gate.  And the main expense in the CFL is salary, and NCAA players do not get paid.

The CFL is a distinct entity like none other.  Players get paid a lot more than they otherwise could earn playing football anywhere else outside the NFL.  It is finally somewhat financially stable and not relying on rich owners supplementing costs.

Its fine, it works, and messing with it will be a disaster.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 11:25:24 PM »

CFL vs. NCAA is a discussion that is a non starter. 

The coaches in the NCAA can make more than a CFL teams total budget, a single game gate is probably more than some teams annual gate.  And the main expense in the CFL is salary, and NCAA players do not get paid.

The CFL is a distinct entity like none other.  Players get paid a lot more than they otherwise could earn playing football anywhere else outside the NFL.  It is finally somewhat financially stable and not relying on rich owners supplementing costs.

Its fine, it works, and messing with it will be a disaster.

i have no clue what you're talking about... what does NCAA coaches have to do with anything?  not doing something may be the disaster...

theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 04:51:56 AM »

i have no clue what you're talking about... what does NCAA coaches have to do with anything?  not doing something may be the disaster...

Sorry, sir, but its working just fine, has been for a long time.  There was a time when US players chose the CFL because the pay was higher here...

There are a few malcontents, sure.  But look at all the players who have signed with the Bombers lately for example.  None are probably making more than league min (other than Gaitor and Durant), and ALL are happy to have a job. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 06:05:54 AM »

great read and very informational as well... and you are right, ahead of their time... however, things have changed dramatically in last 30 years, both in technology and available avenues to market and present your product. Plus, tape delayed anything is pointless, in this world of the internet you can be updated by the second, viewing has to have the same capabilities... I know you know that, and I think you are right, they were just a little too early...

if soccer, international soccer no less, can gain a viewership here in the USA I have to believe that there is opportunity here. Go to a NCAA soccer game, they may be 25 fans there watching. Yet you can find soccer on the tube almost anytime. I never watch it, but it shows that there is an audience for a sport that isn't played here. And by played here I mean the teams on the tube are not from here and a heck of a lot further away than Canada.

Now seems like an opportunity, there are a lot of fans unhappy with the current NFL product and with the quality of the CFL product there is opportunity to capture these fans. Oddly enough, I spent considerably more time following the CFL this year than the NFL. I would watch a CFL over a NFL game other than maybe a Chiefs game, maybe.  Plus, with the glut of people that are into Fantasy Football, the money involved... put it in front of them...

And, if the money is there, it is entirely possible to think that you could expand the league by 3 teams. There is already talk of a Halifax expansion, I don't think that it's a stretch to think that you could find interest in an up and coming league for 2 entities to be interested in funding 2 more teams.

Yet, I concede the fact that I'm an optimist, and I see the glass as half full... but if any time was right it would be now... if the XFL makes a successful run at it there may not be as good an opportunity once they are established... or, we can all just sit back and claim there is nothing that can be done and accept whatever fate comes this way...  I'm more of a 'make it happen' type of person, forgive my zeal...

I don't know if you've ever visited any sports streaming sites on the Web but they are sponsored almost exclusively by on-line gambling and there are hundreds of events every day that can be streamed and bet on worldwide, tapping into the Asian market and their population of billions.  I'm not sure the people that frequent these sites care a hoot about what event is being shown, they're focus is on the outcome and the bets they place.  If the CFL and their broadcaster could profit from this extended viewership in any way it could possibly make gate revenue virtually irrelevant in the near future.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 06:34:00 AM »

Plus, the CFL is the right game, at the right time to come in a pick up all of the people that are sick of the NFL and what it has come to be. All the prima donna superstars making more money than anyone can count, yet still complain and come off as entitled. The constant talk of games being fixed.

Like it's been said here, the CFL is the 'working man's league'. It would appeal to all of the hard working middle class that would appreciate the teams, view players as someone that plays for the love of the game. The cozy league where you know everyone that plays and interesting to follow. This is a diamond in the rough, especially when you throw in the quality of the end product. NCAA football continues to rise, NFL is slipping, why not take advantage of the 100's of players coming out of the NCAA each year that will never make an NFL roster yet has a impassioned following.

Chevelle sees it.  He nailed it as good as any seasoned BB fan I've talked to at games.  Many NFL fans (even American ex-pats) mention "know all their names" as a key feature of the CFL.

I don't see how the CFL could fail to attract decent viewership in the US if it would just get heavily promoted (like ads on ESPN1 during NFL games).  You need to reach a tipping point.  Marketing has to be correct.  Play up the fact that 75% of the league is American and most ex-NFL/NCAA.  Play up the fact we start the season way earlier... football fanatics will be dying by June to see some new football.  Give it to them.  Play up the wider/longer field, more players, more interesting kicking game (but don't dis the NFL, even when it is true).  Point out how no CFL'er has ever "taken a knee" to any anthem.  And play up how we don't fix games so the Patriots always win!  Cheesy

It just needs a (probably US) backer, some money, and some luck.  Chevelle says he's loaded, why not Chevelle?  I see a great new career ahead for you!  Wink

P.S. Play up Andre Proulx!  On second thought...
theaardvark

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 01:55:49 PM »

Chevelle sees it.  He nailed it as good as any seasoned BB fan I've talked to at games.  Many NFL fans (even American ex-pats) mention "know all their names" as a key feature of the CFL.

I don't see how the CFL could fail to attract decent viewership in the US if it would just get heavily promoted (like ads on ESPN1 during NFL games).  You need to reach a tipping point.  Marketing has to be correct.  Play up the fact that 75% of the league is American and most ex-NFL/NCAA.  Play up the fact we start the season way earlier... football fanatics will be dying by June to see some new football.  Give it to them.  Play up the wider/longer field, more players, more interesting kicking game (but don't dis the NFL, even when it is true).  Point out how no CFL'er has ever "taken a knee" to any anthem.  And play up how we don't fix games so the Patriots always win!  Cheesy

It just needs a (probably US) backer, some money, and some luck.  Chevelle says he's loaded, why not Chevelle?  I see a great new career ahead for you!  Wink

P.S. Play up Andre Proulx!  On second thought...

OK, so you want to get the red blooded, flag waving, southern states American who is upset with the players that won't stand for the national anthem to watch a CANADIAN football league?  Watch his good old boys that have left the country get paid more than a beaver loving Canadian, just because he was born on the wrong side of the border?  And only half the team can be American content?

We don't play by the same rules, or have the same field.  Its not as bad as the difference between cricket and baseball, but it is different enough that a staunch NCAA/NFL fan isn't going to embrace it. 

Not sure if I've pointed out enough holes in this logic, but I can go on.

We have a very old, very stable league.  Its finally working very well, and the little issues that have .04% of the CFLPA members upset right now will get ironed out in the next CBA, I have no doubt.

Raising the salary cap does absolutely nothing good for the league.  It will make expansion to the Maritimes impossible, it will jeopardize the fragile economy of the CFL, and might even render some of the current teams insolvent. 

Will raising the cap attract more US players?  Maybe a handful, but anyone willing to come play for $65K will still come for $56k, and anyone who needs $100k+ to play isn't going to sit on a couch if yoiu knock his salary from $240k to $165k (see Dressler/Chick/Durant etc)

Want to spend more money and improve the game?  Add some cash to the ref budget.  Add in some better TV infrastructure so the broadcasters get better shots.  Add in some technology, chips in the ball, in the namebars, in the helmets.  Make the game safer by improving helmet tech and more/better sideline spotters / medical staff.

The cap is the last place to invest right now to make the game better.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 04:25:12 PM »

OK, so you want to get the red blooded, flag waving, southern states American who is upset with the players that won't stand for the national anthem to watch a CANADIAN football league?  Watch his good old boys that have left the country get paid more than a beaver loving Canadian, just because he was born on the wrong side of the border?  And only half the team can be American content?

We don't play by the same rules, or have the same field.  Its not as bad as the difference between cricket and baseball, but it is different enough that a staunch NCAA/NFL fan isn't going to embrace it. 

Not sure if I've pointed out enough holes in this logic, but I can go on.

We have a very old, very stable league.  Its finally working very well, and the little issues that have .04% of the CFLPA members upset right now will get ironed out in the next CBA, I have no doubt.

Raising the salary cap does absolutely nothing good for the league.  It will make expansion to the Maritimes impossible, it will jeopardize the fragile economy of the CFL, and might even render some of the current teams insolvent. 

Will raising the cap attract more US players?  Maybe a handful, but anyone willing to come play for $65K will still come for $56k, and anyone who needs $100k+ to play isn't going to sit on a couch if yoiu knock his salary from $240k to $165k (see Dressler/Chick/Durant etc)

Want to spend more money and improve the game?  Add some cash to the ref budget.  Add in some better TV infrastructure so the broadcasters get better shots.  Add in some technology, chips in the ball, in the namebars, in the helmets.  Make the game safer by improving helmet tech and more/better sideline spotters / medical staff.

The cap is the last place to invest right now to make the game better.

I seriously have no clue where you come up with half of the stuff you do... but I guess that's just you...

I ask that we don't make this about standing for the flag, that has nothing to due with this thread and I respectfully ask that we 'let it go' as this is not the right place for that type of conversation. I thank you in advance for doing so... honestly, it's pretty much a non issue any way...

But my first point being, I am an American and I embrace the CFL game fully and in case you haven't noticed, I haven't advocated for a single change of any kind. Quite the opposite, I want it to stay exactly as it is. It's a great game, I'm able to see that any change that is there is needed because they all flow collectively to make a different game, yet still an incredible game. The CFL game doesn't come off as a game that was changed for change sake, rather, an interpretation of how someone else thought the game should be played with their own subtle changes through out. Its a masterful game that stands alone, I love it...

Plus, I think that if there was more money and it was more visible, more Canadians may become fans and surely more would be interested in being players. I'm about saving a game, saving tradition, making it more stable for ownership. If all players could be paid in that $200K-$600K range it would a) be more than an NFL base salary, b) allow players to decide to stay and play for a team they love because it would become less about how much they are paid and as much about the love of the team and their team mates, and c) allow us fans to keep players on our team for longer than a year.  I honestly believe it could do such.

I think I'm representative of the common NFL fan. Maybe a little more passionate about football than some but seriously less than others. I think there are a lot of people like me down here that would embrace the game fully, especially given the fact that the seasons are for the most part different. But yes, that is one thing I would want to change just a little, start a little earlier, and end a little earlier, but not much, 2 or 3 weeks. Because NFL fans will continue to follow the CFL into the NFL season if it is mostly just wrapping up the end of the season. But I think viewership may tail a little if it continues to go deep into November because there are already options. But, if a fan has become commited to the the league from the start of the season they will see it through. The best part is that the CFL has done a great job in not scheduling games up against the NFL schedule and will allow us die hards to continue to follow all 3 leagues.

TecnoGenius, thank you for the kind words and recognizing that I am truly a fan, not just a flash in the pan passing through. I believe it could work, honestly, and if I could get a job, or even just an audience, at the CFL I would love to share my passion and ideas. But I doubt that it's ground breaking or innovative. But I do think it's about timing, and now seems to be the right time. And I do have money, lol, but not the kind to be a team owner, not for longer than a year anyway... but I can be a hell of a cheerleader....

As I said, I'm not looking to convert this to an American game, quite the opposite, it should be promoted as a Canadian game, not an alternative per se though. And keep the current rules, ratio, field size, etc., no need to apologize for anything, it's a great game and a great product. May have to tweak the ratio a bit early on, only because of supply and demand, maybe be a little fluid, but, as more Canadians are available they should always be working towards the Canadian majority like today, 21/20 split.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »

I don't know if you've ever visited any sports streaming sites on the Web but they are sponsored almost exclusively by on-line gambling and there are hundreds of events every day that can be streamed and bet on worldwide, tapping into the Asian market and their population of billions.  I'm not sure the people that frequent these sites care a hoot about what event is being shown, they're focus is on the outcome and the bets they place.  If the CFL and their broadcaster could profit from this extended viewership in any way it could possibly make gate revenue virtually irrelevant in the near future.

oh I know, those are the types that would bet on cockroaches if that was the only thing available to bet on as well. But I believe that there is still a large number of people that partake in fanatsy football as a supplemental enjoyment to either the betting or the game that still watch the game. But I agree, those that hang out of the betting sites are not the core fan we'd be looking to engage or bring on board. They're already here and are doing nothing for the game now. But like I said, there are a lot of people that play fantasy football as a way to show their intelligence or superiority over their friends with their knowledge of the game, those we could attract.

But, the largest group to hit, are the football fans, the ones that believe there are 2 seasons, a) football season, and b) waiting for football season... We give them something to put in item 'b'... that's what did it for me... made it easy to be a fan without giving up anything... it's easier to commit to and be patient enough to learn to enjoy the game if I don't have to sacrifice one for the other, if you know what I mean...  by the time the NFL and NCAA seasons rolled around I was hooked already...

theaardvark

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 10:45:33 PM »

I seriously have no clue where you come up with half of the stuff you do... but I guess that's just you...

I ask that we don't make this about standing for the flag, that has nothing to due with this thread and I respectfully ask that we 'let it go' as this is not the right place for that type of conversation. I thank you in advance for doing so... honestly, it's pretty much a non issue any way...

But my first point being, I am an American and I embrace the CFL game fully and in case you haven't noticed, I haven't advocated for a single change of any kind. Quite the opposite, I want it to stay exactly as it is. It's a great game, I'm able to see that any change that is there is needed because they all flow collectively to make a different game, yet still an incredible game. The CFL game doesn't come off as a game that was changed for change sake, rather, an interpretation of how someone else thought the game should be played with their own subtle changes through out. Its a masterful game that stands alone, I love it...

Plus, I think that if there was more money and it was more visible, more Canadians may become fans and surely more would be interested in being players. I'm about saving a game, saving tradition, making it more stable for ownership. If all players could be paid in that $200K-$600K range it would a) be more than an NFL base salary, b) allow players to decide to stay and play for a team they love because it would become less about how much they are paid and as much about the love of the team and their team mates, and c) allow us fans to keep players on our team for longer than a year.  I honestly believe it could do such.

I think I'm representative of the common NFL fan. Maybe a little more passionate about football than some but seriously less than others. I think there are a lot of people like me down here that would embrace the game fully, especially given the fact that the seasons are for the most part different. But yes, that is one thing I would want to change just a little, start a little earlier, and end a little earlier, but not much, 2 or 3 weeks. Because NFL fans will continue to follow the CFL into the NFL season if it is mostly just wrapping up the end of the season. But I think viewership may tail a little if it continues to go deep into November because there are already options. But, if a fan has become commited to the the league from the start of the season they will see it through. The best part is that the CFL has done a great job in not scheduling games up against the NFL schedule and will allow us die hards to continue to follow all 3 leagues.

TecnoGenius, thank you for the kind words and recognizing that I am truly a fan, not just a flash in the pan passing through. I believe it could work, honestly, and if I could get a job, or even just an audience, at the CFL I would love to share my passion and ideas. But I doubt that it's ground breaking or innovative. But I do think it's about timing, and now seems to be the right time. And I do have money, lol, but not the kind to be a team owner, not for longer than a year anyway... but I can be a hell of a cheerleader....

As I said, I'm not looking to convert this to an American game, quite the opposite, it should be promoted as a Canadian game, not an alternative per se though. And keep the current rules, ratio, field size, etc., no need to apologize for anything, it's a great game and a great product. May have to tweak the ratio a bit early on, only because of supply and demand, maybe be a little fluid, but, as more Canadians are available they should always be working towards the Canadian majority like today, 21/20 split.

Paying players more doesn't solve any "problems".  The CFL is a landing spot for players that cannot break into the NFL but are not ready to quit football.  Pretty much the same group of players will play for $56k min salary that you'd attract for $150k min salary. 

The nice thing about a $5.x million SMS is that everyone is playing with the same amount of money, so it works.  An expansion team can get up to speed quick, a team that was 2-16 can make the playoffs the next year.  Teams need to spend judiciously, so sometimes teams that make bad/untradeable contracts cut top end players.

Financial stability of the league is important for its longevity.  No one, players or owners, are getting rich.  And entertainment $ are getting harder to get.  A million channels vying for eyeballs. 

The CFL is a gate driven league, and the fans won't pay five times the ticket price so that teams can pay a DE a million bucks.  And the fact that some of the players actually take jobs in the community in the offseasons makes them a lot more relatable. 

We're not going to attract a significant number disaffected NFL fans, let alone get them to pay money to see the league.  We're very happy that you've found our secret league and are enjoying it, and we welcome converts for sure.  But no team would ever consider that a revenue stream. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: