Blue Bombers Forum
February 24, 2018, 01:24:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Must increase the Salary cap!  (Read 2605 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »

What you're encountering here is probably some good ol' Canadian humility, AKA a complete lack of self-confidence. We're fully aware that the US is the big boy on the block, the NFL is the premium league, etc. so we tend to downplay the good things we have, across the board, to a fault. We assume no American is gonna watch the CFL, even when talking to an American who watches the CFL.  Grin

Some of your ideas I don't see happening, like tying teams together across the two leagues. But I could see a partnership between the TV networks and the two leagues working. You're certainly right about the demographics, we need to keep in mind how many people we're talking about here. For every Canadian football fan like me, who's only gonna watch their local team on tv, it's possible there's at least one American football fan who's gonna watch as much football as they can find. That means we could potentially double our tv market, which would add significant strength and resilience to the league.

I appreciate your honestly on the humility thing, I get that...  and I'm not a fan of having any direct association with the NFL, just spit balling...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2018, 09:08:37 PM »

I would think that ratio would have to be at least 10-1 to garner the attention of a US based network.  Anything is possible within a huge viewing market-place even niches can be sizeable.  The Shopping Channel has been broadcasting for at least 25 years so somebody out there must be watching it.

it's not like they wear big patches on their uniform indicating national vs. import... it took me forever to remember who is what, lol... and since they don't really talk about it much during the games I don't think most will realize there is a ratio...

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »

it's not like they wear big patches on their uniform indicating national vs. import... it took me forever to remember who is what, lol... and since they don't really talk about it much during the games I don't think most will realize there is a ratio...

Not that ratio, the ratio of viewers mentioned in the previous post.  I believe a US Network would expect to attract a viewing audience at least 10 times larger than TSN currently reaches in order for the CFL to be worth taking on.  That would equate to 5- 10 million viewers per game, which is peanuts down there.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2018, 09:56:00 PM »

Not that ratio, the ratio of viewers mentioned in the previous post.  I believe a US Network would expect to attract a viewing audience at least 10 times larger than TSN currently reaches in order for the CFL to be worth taking on.  That would equate to 5- 10 million viewers per game, which is peanuts down there.

my bad... I thought you were referring to the other.... all you have to get would be less than one half of one half of 1% of the current NFL veiwership to exceed today's numbers... that shouldn't be too big a hurdle, giving the quality of the product... also, since you're not attempting to convert them to an entirely different sport as well...

KINGCHARLES

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »

there shouldn't be any reason why the CFL couldn't perform as well and have as big of draw as a college conference does here in the states. And no, I know that there isn't enough interest north to support it, so don't even go there. However, if the CFL were to do something similar to what the SEC did, create their own channel/network, with proper marketing I believe they could pull similar numbers. You have to remember that the majority of the SEC viewership is the south east portion of the states. While the CFL wouldn't be as concentrated it could pull viewership from all states.  Here's the kind of money the SEC Conference pulled in 2016-17 fiscal year, and this excludes ticket sales and direct university revenues, this is just the conference for redistribution...

From RockMNation.com

"The SEC generated $596.9 million in revenue for the 2016-17 fiscal year and distributed an average of approximately $40.9 million to 14 members, the league announced Thursday.

The average distribution from the league does not include bowl revenue retained by participating schools, which totals $23.1 million. The SEC?s payout for the most recent fiscal year, which ended Aug. 31, represents a slight increase from fiscal year 2015-16, when the league generated $584.2 million and distributed approximately $40.4 million to its members, excluding bowl money. [...]

The SEC currently distributes the most revenue, on average, to its members. The Big Ten is second after distributing $34.8 million to its fully vested members in its 2016 fiscal year, the most recent to be reported."

and before all of the Debbie Doubters say it's not possible, image if they could secure just half of this, $20M per team... you could raise the SMS to $20M and they, each team, could keep the $30M they already generate for operating expense. This would mean that the entry level salary could be somewhere around $200K-$225K, enough to get and keep talented players. If you can pay a player like that, there is less interest to go south, some may even have no interest, who knows...

SEC Network is carried on DirecTV, Dish, Cox, Google Fiber, and then select games are carried on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and some regular Networks. If the NFL Network, which would be another prime candidate to carry additional programming, can keep year round viewership, just think what they could do program wise if they had the CFL to fill in the non stop reruns of daily programming they do now.

Someone with vision needs to be running this league...

ts simple enough Americans love football more than Canadians love hockey. Why else would DIV I colleges have stadiums in the 60-100k capacity. That would be like having 30,000 - 40,000 seat NHL rinks in 20 Canadian cities.........For the record  some of the more successful smaller DIV I schools still play in 30,000 seat football stadiums.....
Some college football athletes believe they should be paid more than full scholarships to play football because of the amount of money made by some of the more successful teams. A team like Alabama had a 47 million profit in 2016 and if you divided that profit evenly among say 100 players (a lot of college teams have huge rosters) thats $470,000/year to each player.  A full scholarship per athlete at Alabama would be worth aprox $45,316/yr for an out of state player.

Now Im guessing based on the Alabama example their profits are probably based on after paying scholarships but if its before than that is still like making $424,684 off of each player.....technically some kids are getting their full college education and housing for free so that should be fair enough right? Some of these kids land up being a manager of a Walmart in some rural town in the USA after their careers are done or even being a Frito Lay chip guy (still making a good living wage)

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
Tiger

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2018, 05:32:46 AM »

Chevelle

First let me commend you on your efforts and love of he game.

I agree with your general premise that the league should increase revenues and look at the US market.

I think you have made several good points as have others pro and contrary.

Consider a few other things. This is not a new thought.  In 1909 Hamilton played Ottawa in New York City to 15,000 fans (more than most games for US franchises during the 1990s).  Throughout the 50?s there was a half a dozen or so games in the US, then later in the 90s and you are aware of the attempted US expansion.

Even when there were US teams, especially to southern teams, Memphis and Birmingham,  there was limited local interest and little television interest. Is this because it was not well marketed or because there was no interest because it was not American? While you appreciate the football i?m Not sure there is a large enough population that think the same way.  Perhaps it is time to check as you indicated there is little or no capital expenditures required and the timing may be right.

While ESPN has notably most recently been involved, NBC broadcasted games and the playoffs in the early 50?s until the AFL came along. Then there was nothing until the 1980?s when the CFL was broadcast on NBC during the NFL player?s strike.  Subsequently there have been agreements and the games were broadcast on America One, NBCSN, ESPN, NFL network, etc.  Sporadic games were televised by using Canadian feeds.  No full season was close to televised.  

Perhaps a better long term CFL strategy is needed (including an earlier season and lower fees to televise more games etc).  But really there needs to be an effort by a US network. Who will commit and take the risk?  Right now the cfl seems to be treated as filler programming.  Espn has the rights for a little while longer and or do not see any changes.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: