Blue Bombers Forum
October 23, 2018, 10:55:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Must increase the Salary cap!  (Read 6657 times)
Austin85

« on: February 03, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »

They have to increase it big time in the next CBA
gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »

Unless the TSN deal increases significantly, or the deal with ESPN/NFLN that Ambrosie mentioned is for big money, I don't see this happening. 
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 04:08:54 PM »

They could always increase the price of beer at the games....
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 04:40:13 PM »

Unless the TSN deal increases significantly, or the deal with ESPN/NFLN that Ambrosie mentioned is for big money, I don't see this happening. 

This. It's not just some simple matter to increase the SMS cap.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 04:51:57 PM »

Oh it will go up but nothing significant. Depending on how long the deal is for it will go up perhaps in the $50K per year. Maybe $75K per year?

What will be of more interest is what else changes regarding player contracts, roster size and ratio.

I'd like to see the roster size increased by a couple of Canadian players but that in itself adds cost to SMS. So that probably doesn't happen.

The best option might be to use the annual increase directed to the minimum level salaries. Even at $75K a year and those players on entry deals it's still not going to increase by a big amount.

Just a thought.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 04:56:30 PM »

Cap has been raised 20% since the last CBA.  And we're having issues. 

Raising the SMS isn't going to solve anything.  Min salary in the CFL is more than a living wage.  Anything above that is bonus for you to earn playing a game you love.  And our "stars" make a substantial amount of money compared to what most will make post playing career.

If that's not good enough for you to "risk your health", no one is forcing you to play. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 05:42:43 PM »

there shouldn't be any reason why the CFL couldn't perform as well and have as big of draw as a college conference does here in the states. And no, I know that there isn't enough interest north to support it, so don't even go there. However, if the CFL were to do something similar to what the SEC did, create their own channel/network, with proper marketing I believe they could pull similar numbers. You have to remember that the majority of the SEC viewership is the south east portion of the states. While the CFL wouldn't be as concentrated it could pull viewership from all states.  Here's the kind of money the SEC Conference pulled in 2016-17 fiscal year, and this excludes ticket sales and direct university revenues, this is just the conference for redistribution...

From RockMNation.com

"The SEC generated $596.9 million in revenue for the 2016-17 fiscal year and distributed an average of approximately $40.9 million to 14 members, the league announced Thursday.

The average distribution from the league does not include bowl revenue retained by participating schools, which totals $23.1 million. The SEC?s payout for the most recent fiscal year, which ended Aug. 31, represents a slight increase from fiscal year 2015-16, when the league generated $584.2 million and distributed approximately $40.4 million to its members, excluding bowl money. [...]

The SEC currently distributes the most revenue, on average, to its members. The Big Ten is second after distributing $34.8 million to its fully vested members in its 2016 fiscal year, the most recent to be reported."

and before all of the Debbie Doubters say it's not possible, image if they could secure just half of this, $20M per team... you could raise the SMS to $20M and they, each team, could keep the $30M they already generate for operating expense. This would mean that the entry level salary could be somewhere around $200K-$225K, enough to get and keep talented players. If you can pay a player like that, there is less interest to go south, some may even have no interest, who knows...

SEC Network is carried on DirecTV, Dish, Cox, Google Fiber, and then select games are carried on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and some regular Networks. If the NFL Network, which would be another prime candidate to carry additional programming, can keep year round viewership, just think what they could do program wise if they had the CFL to fill in the non stop reruns of daily programming they do now.

Someone with vision needs to be running this league...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »

there shouldn't be any reason why the CFL couldn't perform as well and have as big of draw as a college conference does here in the states. And no, I know that there isn't enough interest north to support it, so don't even go there. However, if the CFL were to do something similar to what the SEC did, create their own channel/network, with proper marketing I believe they could pull similar numbers. You have to remember that the majority of the SEC viewership is the south east portion of the states. While the CFL wouldn't be as concentrated it could pull viewership from all states.  Here's the kind of money the SEC Conference pulled in 2016-17 fiscal year, and this excludes ticket sales and direct university revenues, this is just the conference for redistribution...

From RockMNation.com

"The SEC generated $596.9 million in revenue for the 2016-17 fiscal year and distributed an average of approximately $40.9 million to 14 members, the league announced Thursday.

The average distribution from the league does not include bowl revenue retained by participating schools, which totals $23.1 million. The SEC?s payout for the most recent fiscal year, which ended Aug. 31, represents a slight increase from fiscal year 2015-16, when the league generated $584.2 million and distributed approximately $40.4 million to its members, excluding bowl money. [...]

The SEC currently distributes the most revenue, on average, to its members. The Big Ten is second after distributing $34.8 million to its fully vested members in its 2016 fiscal year, the most recent to be reported."

and before all of the Debbie Doubters say it's not possible, image if they could secure just half of this, $20M per team... you could raise the SMS to $20M and they, each team, could keep the $30M they already generate for operating expense. This would mean that the entry level salary could be somewhere around $200K-$225K, enough to get and keep talented players. If you can pay a player like that, there is less interest to go south, some may even have no interest, who knows...

SEC Network is carried on DirecTV, Dish, Cox, Google Fiber, and then select games are carried on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and some regular Networks. If the NFL Network, which would be another prime candidate to carry additional programming, can keep year round viewership, just think what they could do program wise if they had the CFL to fill in the non stop reruns of daily programming they do now.

Someone with vision needs to be running this league...

You're dreaming. It has nothing to do with vision. It has to do with population. Many US universities have larger stadiums than anything in the CFL. Attendance is high as is TV revenues.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 05:57:59 PM »

You're dreaming. It has nothing to do with vision. It has to do with population. Many US universities have larger stadiums than anything in the CFL. Attendance is high as is TV revenues.

did you not see that this does not include tickets sales, or university generated revenue, or bowl money? And I wouldn't be going after the Canadian viewing audience, I'd tap into the virgin ground of the USA, where except for a few games shown on ESPN2, you have to watch online...

awareness for one, nobody really knows about the CFL here, ESPN carried nothing CFL related, including highlights or even scores during the season. Everyone I mention it to says practically the same thing "I had forgotten all about the CFL, when do they play"...

ticket sales is the least of a teams worries, you need to get viewership from multiple homes. advertising dollars is what pays the way for the NFL, as it should for the CFL.

I may be dreaming, as you say, but you miss every shot you don't take... if I had listened to people that told me I was dreaming when I retired to start my own business, I wouldn't be sitting on the stack of cash I am today, just saying...  There is 36M Canadians, there are 323M Americans, according to a quick Google search, it is estimated that the CFL currently has an average viewership of 500K, the NFL 18.2M... tell me there isn't enough there to have interest and cross over...

dd

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 06:16:03 PM »

We tried the great US experiment 20 years ago, and if failed miserably-primarily because they expanded in obscure small market US cities, where football wasn't king.

Now re-thinking this, I think if they targeted large US television markets that in close proximity to the Canadian border ie Detroit, Buffalo, New York, Chicago, that are 'football' communities, maybe TV uptake is there--its worth a shot to increase revenue, improve salaries and improve the on field product.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 06:16:05 PM »

Plus, the CFL is the right game, at the right time to come in a pick up all of the people that are sick of the NFL and what it has come to be. All the prima donna superstars making more money than anyone can count, yet still complain and come off as entitled. The constant talk of games being fixed.

Like it's been said here, the CFL is the 'working man's league'. It would appeal to all of the hard working middle class that would appreciate the teams, view players as someone that plays for the love of the game. The cozy league where you know everyone that plays and interesting to follow. This is a diamond in the rough, especially when you throw in the quality of the end product. NCAA football continues to rise, NFL is slipping, why not take advantage of the 100's of players coming out of the NCAA each year that will never make an NFL roster yet has a impassioned following.

Again, a quick Google search suggest that 1 in 50 college seniors make it to the NFL, 1 in 50... at least 5 to 10 of that discarded 50 could have the skill set to challenge for a position in the CFL. There are roughly 17,000 college seniors that play NCAA football, 256 of them will be drafted into the NFL annually. And then you throw in the interest from Fantasy Football??? Recipe for success...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »

We tried the great US experiment 20 years ago, and if failed miserably-primarily because they expanded in obscure small market US cities, where football wasn't king.

Now re-thinking this, I think if they targeted large US television markets that in close proximity to the Canadian border ie Detroit, Buffalo, New York, Chicago, that are 'football' communities, maybe TV uptake is there--its worth a shot to increase revenue, improve salaries and improve the on field product.

No expansion into the USA, all teams will continue to be located and play in Canada. Also, in the last 20 years cable is on the skids, national providers are the go to group now. You don't have to convince 3,000, or whatever the number could have been, local cable providers to see the vision, just a couple of huge providers that cover the entire nation.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »

with the XFL wanting to try a comeback in 2020, it's now time for the CFL to swing for the fences.  Because they can either, watch it happen, make it happen, or wonder what the **** happened....

at the end of the day you shouldn't care who is watching, just that someone is... last time I checked green money spends regardless of where it is generated...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 06:30:23 PM »

plus, with expanded viewership and more money for players, the CFL would become a recruiting tool for American colleges. Must like now, now these schools like to brag about how many players they put in the NFL, they would do the same with the CFL, especially those schools that still have a huge following yet not considered the 'elite' like Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc....

A 12 league team would be the sweet spot, I think, 2 divisions of 6 each, or even 16 at the most, 4 divisions of 4. You could split the country in half, 2 divison West, 2 division East.. less traveling, more play off games, more revenue... But for starters shoot for 12, it might require some ratio modification early on, but, with more money, you may see more Canadians concentrating of football...

Blue In BC

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 06:47:24 PM »

plus, with expanded viewership and more money for players, the CFL would become a recruiting tool for American colleges. Must like now, now these schools like to brag about how many players they put in the NFL, they would do the same with the CFL, especially those schools that still have a huge following yet not considered the 'elite' like Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc....

A 12 league team would be the sweet spot, I think, 2 divisions of 6 each, or even 16 at the most, 4 divisions of 4. You could split the country in half, 2 divison West, 2 division East.. less traveling, more play off games, more revenue... But for starters shoot for 12, it might require some ratio modification early on, but, with more money, you may see more Canadians concentrating of football...

Like I said, you're dreaming. If the interest was there TSN would already be broadcasting more CFL games in the US and TV revenue would increase.

You're trying to invent the "  new wheel " that doesn't exist.

We've wanted a 10th team for decades and you're suggesting 12 teams as a sweet spot. Laughable when we don't have the city populations or stadium's to make any of that happen.

No more excuses.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: