Blue Bombers Forum
October 23, 2018, 09:53:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ronda Rousey signs with WWE  (Read 1744 times)
Chris1982
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/ronda-rousey-signs-wwe-full-time-royal-rumble-2018-1
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »

Washed up

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
BlueInCgy

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »

Likely will be a flop, but there's a chance she could make it work.  UFC - WWE doesn't usually turn out well, but if they could do it with Shamrock, there's definitely more to work with with Rousey.  Biggest problem is that she doesn't have anyone to go up against, unless they bring back Awesome Kong or something like that.
Chris1982
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »

Likely will be a flop, but there's a chance she could make it work.  UFC - WWE doesn't usually turn out well, but if they could do it with Shamrock, there's definitely more to work with with Rousey.  Biggest problem is that she doesn't have anyone to go up against, unless they bring back Awesome Kong or something like that.

I am not quite sure how you can say "UFC - WWE doesn't usually turn out well". 

-Ken Shamrock was awesome
-Like him or not, Brock Lesnar is a HUGE draw in WWE
-Alberto Del Rio used to compete in Pride is also a huge draw in WWE

Not many fails that I can think of other than when Tank Abbott went to WCW.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »

Lesnar was in the WWE long before MMA

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
BlueInCgy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »

I actually said Shamrock worked out well, but he worked as a legit tough guy.   

Lesnar was WWE before he was UFC. 

Del Rio was a well established wrestler in Mexico, and is known for that much more than Pride.

Tank Abbott was a dud.

Steve Blackman couldn't work a mic and therefore didn't go anywhere.

Dan Severin never went anywhere.

Rousey has a few things going for her - she's well known outside the UFC, she's got a large social media following, and she is not hard on the eyes to say the least.  The issue(s) she's going to face is that she's not very good on the mic (that can be developed), and beating up on fitness models (what most of the Divas are) won't be viewed as much of a challenge, and in the PG era of WWE they won't have her fighting guys, because the optics on that don't work well.  She would have worked great with the like of Chyna, Beth Phoenix, Awesome Kong and the like. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:15:12 PM by BlueInCgy » Logged
Chris1982
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »

I actually said Shamrock worked out well, but he worked as a legit tough guy.   

Lesnar was WWE before he was UFC. 

Del Rio was a well established wrestler in Mexico, and is known for that much more than Pride.

Tank Abbott was a dud.

Steve Blackman couldn't work a mic and therefore didn't go anywhere.

Dan Severin never went anywhere.

Rousey has a few things going for her - she's well known outside the UFC, she's got a large social media following, and she is not hard on the eyes to say the least.  The issue(s) she's going to face is that she's not very good on the mic (that can be developed), and beating up on fitness models (what most of the Divas are) won't be viewed as much of a challenge, and in the PG era of WWE they won't have her fighting guys, because the optics on that don't work well.  She would have worked great with the like of Chyna, Beth Phoenix, Awesome Kong and the like. 

I still do not get what you meant that UFC - WWE usually doesn`t go well.  You only have 2 examples of UFC fighters who failed in wrestling (Severyn and Abbott) - and Abbott I would not even count here because WCW had no idea how to market their athletes so he was doomed before he even stepped foot in the ring.  WWF-WWE is a whole other ballgame.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »

I still do not get what you meant that UFC - WWE usually doesn`t go well.  You only have 2 examples of UFC fighters who failed in wrestling (Severyn and Abbott) - and Abbott I would not even count here because WCW had no idea how to market their athletes so he was doomed before he even stepped foot in the ring.  WWF-WWE is a whole other ballgame.

Your example of Brock aint even true

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
BlueInCgy

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 04:41:06 PM »

I don't have a list of the ex-UFC guys who haven't even made it through Ohio Valley, never mind actually making it to the show, but Ron Waterman comes to mind.

Anyway, of the guys who were MMA first (I include Blackman in that list) who actually made it on to TV, Shamrock has been the only success story, so at best that's 1/4.  Decent in baseball, poor for investments.  If you've got more guys to show as successes, I'm all ears.

The reality is in today's world of sports entertainment, being able to beat someone bloody doesn't go nearly as far as being able to own the microphone and sell merchandise.  Squash match types don't sell pay per views - Bill Goldberg would be nothing if he was starting out today, because they couldn't market him as the "bigger badder" SCSA.  UFC types don't fit that mold well.  Neither do ex-amateur wrestlers (Angle being an obvious exception, but it took him a long time to develop, and he's shown more commitment to the wrestling world than almost anyone else).  Second and third generation wrestlers are usually the ones who succeed, because they understand the business (Alberto Del Rio, Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt, the Rock, Randy Orton, the Harts, etc).

I like Ronda and I really hope she does well, but like I said, she's going to need a few legit tough female opponents to put her over (and teach her how to get over), and the Divas division simply isn't that.  It doesn't help that she's taking on the persona of one of the most over the top WWE personas in history, Rowdy Roddy Piper, as Rowdy Ronda Rousey.  There are few people in the world who can lace up Roddy's boots (and yes, I know he okay'd it before he passed, but that doesn't make it a good idea).  Her best chance is in she gets aligned with a Jericho-type and rides his charisma into character development that will give her the non-physical skills to get over.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:03:42 PM by BlueInCgy » Logged
Chris1982
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 05:03:12 PM »

I don't have a list of the ex-UFC guys who haven't even made it through Ohio Valley, never mind actually making it to the show, but Ron Waterman comes to mind.

Anyway, of the guys who were MMA first (I include Blackman in that list) who actually made it on to TV, Shamrock has been the only success story, so at best that's 1/4.  Decent in baseball, poor for investments.  If you've got more guys to show as successes, I'm all ears.

The reality is in today's world of sports entertainment, being able to beat someone bloody doesn't go nearly as far as being able to own the microphone and sell merchandise.  Squash match types don't sell pay per views - Bill Goldberg would be nothing if he was starting out today, because they couldn't market him as the "bigger badder" SCSA.  UFC types don't fit that mold well.  Neither do ex-amateur wrestlers (Angle being an obvious exception, but it took him a long time to develop, and he's shown more commitment to the wrestling world than almost anyone else).  Second and third generation wrestlers are usually the ones who succeed, because they understand the business (Alberto Del Rio, Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt, the Rock, Randy Orton, the Harts, etc).

I like Ronda and I really hope she does well, but like I said, she's going to need a few legit tough female opponents to put her over (and teach her how to get over), and the Divas division simply isn't that.  It doesn't help that she's taking on the persona of one of the most over the top WWE personas in history, Rowdy Roddy Piper, as Rowdy Ronda Rousey.  There are few people in the world who can lace up Roddy's boots (and yes, I know he okay'd it before he passed, but that doesn't make it a good idea).

I personally do not even see Rousey as a long term investment for the WWE.  I would predict that she will hang around for a while, have a few big PPV fights, for her and the WWE to both cash in on, and she will be on her way. 
gbill2004

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »

I love Dan Severn!   Grin
Chris1982
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »

I love Dan Severn!   Grin
gbill2004

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 05:26:42 PM »

That moustache is sexy!   Cheesy
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 08:41:24 PM »

older out of shape dan Severn

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 12:10:00 AM »

Does Winnipeg in general still follow this type of wrestling/entertainment ?
Chris1982
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »

Does Winnipeg in general still follow this type of wrestling/entertainment ?

LOL  Cheesy Cheesy  are you seriously asking if a city of almost 800,000 people "generally" follows something?  That is something that is nearly impossible to gauge. 
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 04:56:27 PM »

LOL  Cheesy Cheesy  are you seriously asking if a city of almost 800,000 people "generally" follows something?  That is something that is nearly impossible to gauge. 

Like.....would they sell out the arena still ?.......it's just all my friends gave up on that fake wrestling stuff over two decades ago...
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »

Still a pretty big draw in Winnipeg - WWE was here late last fall and had lots of big names wrestling.  I will admit that in 1989 I attended a live event at the old Winnipeg Arena and it was something else - I wondered where these people came from that were there - then realized "wait a minute, I am here with them..." 

never went back...

I will also admit that I will tune in to the big events like Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania and even though they are only a few times a year - I can still follow the plot lines.

I appreciate the effort it takes and the sacrifice on the bodies of the people that "perform".  It can't be easy flinging yourself around and jumping from heights.
Chris1982
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 06:53:59 PM »

I was a DIE-HARD fan of the WWF from roughly 1988 to 2000.  I used to love watching WWF Superstars on Saturday morning on channel 6 at 10am.  I went to several house shows at the Wpg Arena and to one PPV (In Your House).  I pretty much stopped paying attention to wrestling when it became more of a reality drama TV show than wrestling, roughly around the year 2000-ish.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 11:27:18 AM »

I was a DIE-HARD fan of the WWF from roughly 1988 to 2000.  I used to love watching WWF Superstars on Saturday morning on channel 6 at 10am.  I went to several house shows at the Wpg Arena and to one PPV (In Your House).  I pretty much stopped paying attention to wrestling when it became more of a reality drama TV show than wrestling, roughly around the year 2000-ish.

I was a WCW fan back in the 80's? Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Free Birds, Road Warriors, and the Mulkey Bros... and old Gordon Soley as an announcer... The Mulkeys were about 5'6" and weighed about 160 and were the no names they would trot out to fight the stars. Even if it was scripted those poor boy always wound up taking a beating... ah, good times... lol

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Chris1982
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »

I was a WCW fan back in the 80's? Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Free Birds, Road Warriors, and the Mulkey Bros... and old Gordon Soley as an announcer... The Mulkeys were about 5'6" and weighed about 160 and were the no names they would trot out to fight the stars. Even if it was scripted those poor boy always wound up taking a beating... ah, good times... lol

I was more of a WWF fan for a longer period, but I definitely tuned into WCW quite often in the late 90s during the Monday Night Wars.  The nWo was always entertaining.

The WCW was a lot more respectable in their early days.... towards the end they were just making money off of ex-WWF superstars.  Hiring a bunch of old hasbeens from the WWF who were bringing them in money based on their name.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: