Blue Bombers Forum
June 23, 2018, 04:46:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
  Print  
Author Topic: James Wilder Jr going to sit out the 2018 season  (Read 9997 times)
dd

« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2018, 04:06:14 AM »

Calgary was totally keying on the run game and shut it down, forcing the Argos to beat them through the air, and face it, a huge Calgary turnover for a TD won them the game.

I think teams now have tape on wilder and he ll be good, but he won't surprise teams as much this year
66 Chevelle

« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2018, 09:14:21 AM »

I completely agree that the league minimum needs to be raised. I'm not sure how much of a priority players on their first contract are for the CFLPA when it comes to their wish list.

BTW, I wouldn't use Wilder's playoff numbers to make a point about his play. In the Eastern Final he had 22 touches for 104 yards and in the Grey Cup he had 11 touches for 31 yards. He has a lot to prove when it comes to playing in cold/bad weather.

to be honest it was more of 'full disclosure' than being used to support his performance... the only thing was that by including the playoffs I wasn't taking games in the middle, so to speak... more of once he was used until the end of season thing...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn17

« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2018, 11:10:29 AM »

Running backs like Wilder don't tend to be productive long term in this league. Once defences figure out their tendencies they're done like dinner. He is not a Messam or Cornish type back that imposed their physical dominance, nor is he a Charlie Roberts or Mike Pringle type that can make you miss in a phone booth. He reminds me of a Cory Boyd, or Joe Smith type and they get figured out by defences if they can't be effective as pass catchers out of the backfield or have the skillsets of the above listed.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
Jesse

« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2018, 02:11:15 PM »

Running backs like Wilder don't tend to be productive long term in this league. Once defences figure out their tendencies they're done like dinner. He is not a Messam or Cornish type back that imposed their physical dominance, nor is he a Charlie Roberts or Mike Pringle type that can make you miss in a phone booth. He reminds me of a Cory Boyd, or Joe Smith type and they get figured out by defences if they can't be effective as pass catchers out of the backfield or have the skillsets of the above listed.

I don't know about that. Again, small sample size, but Wilder did have 50+ receptions for over 500 yards in however many games played. He seems to be able to play runner and receiver.
dd

« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »

He'll be a running and receiving threat alright, but teams will be keying on him and his ultimate impact on TO's offense. Face it, once Wilder started taking over games and moving the ball, TO completely did a 180 in terms of performance. Defenses generally have their safety key on the other teams go-to receiver, with TO, that will be Wilder, so I think teams will play him a lot closer in 2018, like Calgary did in the Grey Cup, and have TO beat them by having Posey score on a Hail Mary pass, and relying on TO's defense to force a fumble and return it for a 110 yard score--that happened in the Grey Cup, likely not going to happen again this lifetime!!! Toronto didn't win the Grey Cup, Calgary lost it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
  Print  

Jump to: