Blue Bombers Forum
June 23, 2018, 07:18:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
  Print  
Author Topic: James Wilder Jr going to sit out the 2018 season  (Read 9988 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »

he was just using that as his ploy to get more money...and it backfired pretty much...tho eventually got his raise...with extension.
He did his NFL bounce around for 3 years...teams know what he brings...and it isn't enough for that game and he wouldn't have been a PR candidate at his age and position

I don't know if I would say it was a 'ploy' because if he would have been used the entire year as he had the last 8 games there should be little doubt that he is probably the league leading rusher and probably by more than just a little... In just 8 games of use, that included the playoffs as well, he had the longest rush from scrimmage for the year, 85 yards, the most 20 yards rushes, 7, the most 100+ yard games, 4 (which was half of his games played), and the most yards for a game last season, 190 yards.  It was more than just window dressing, especially when you're making league minimum.  How people feel he should of handled that situation, well that's up to the individual...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
theaardvark

« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »

If he thought he had a legit chance, he wouldn't have signed the extension. I don't think he had any firm NFL interest so he signed the extension. i don't think his NFL chances change if he has a monster season, he s a long shot to make it and he knows it.

Problem with knowing that is, he is under contract, and as such, is unable to talk to NFL or other CFL teams, and they are restricted from talking to him...  legally.

Did he try some backchannel methods to see if there was interest?  No doubt. 

IMHO, I think he messed up pretty much on every decision.  He should have just shut up and played out his contract, and then he would be free to do whatever he wanted, with a full year as feature back on a Trestman run team with Ricky Ray as QB.  If you can't turn that into NFL interest, then you can go on a cross country tour and sign wherever you want in the CFL at top dollar.

If he tears it up again this year, and is the leagues leading RB, but getting 4 or 5 RB's are getting paid more, he's going to be crying about being tied into year 3 of a deal with the Argos...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn17

« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »

Problem with knowing that is, he is under contract, and as such, is unable to talk to NFL or other CFL teams, and they are restricted from talking to him...  legally.

Did he try some backchannel methods to see if there was interest?  No doubt. 

IMHO, I think he messed up pretty much on every decision.  He should have just shut up and played out his contract, and then he would be free to do whatever he wanted, with a full year as feature back on a Trestman run team with Ricky Ray as QB.  If you can't turn that into NFL interest, then you can go on a cross country tour and sign wherever you want in the CFL at top dollar.

If he tears it up again this year, and is the leagues leading RB, but getting 4 or 5 RB's are getting paid more, he's going to be crying about being tied into year 3 of a deal with the Argos...

That is some pretty big speculation.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
theaardvark

« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2018, 04:21:19 PM »

That is some pretty big speculation.

More extrapolation than speculation.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn17

« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »

More extrapolation than speculation.

No...not really.

Unabashed free thinker. No Kool-Aid in my fridge. I don't get blinded by sunglasses at night.
theaardvark

« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »

No...not really.

ex?tra?po?la?tion
noun
1. the action of estimating or concluding something by assuming that existing trends will continue or a current method will remain applicable:

spec?u?la?tion
noun
1. the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence:

Both do apply somewhat, but with no previous history, then it is speculation.  There is previous history here...

GCn17

« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2018, 05:37:06 PM »

ex?tra?po?la?tion
noun
1. the action of estimating or concluding something by assuming that existing trends will continue or a current method will remain applicable:

spec?u?la?tion
noun
1. the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence:

Both do apply somewhat, but with no previous history, then it is speculation.  There is previous history here...

None that is applicable. Entirely different scenarios.

theaardvark

« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2018, 05:43:12 PM »

None that is applicable.

Really?  Last year, he signed a valid contract for less than NFL wage, had some success and declared he would sit out if he didn't get released or at least get a raise, and that he wasn't interested in an extension. 

So now, he has a valid contract for far less than NFL wage, although better than his previous wage.  He will have a full year to show his talents.  And then will have a year left on his new contract, for less than what other RB's are making in the CFL, and no access to NFL tryouts.

You are saying that there is no reasonable extrapolation of previous events that would result in a similar issue next off season, with the provision he has an excellent year?

GCn17

« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2018, 06:22:30 PM »

Really?  Last year, he signed a valid contract for less than NFL wage, had some success and declared he would sit out if he didn't get released or at least get a raise, and that he wasn't interested in an extension. 

So now, he has a valid contract for far less than NFL wage, although better than his previous wage.  He will have a full year to show his talents.  And then will have a year left on his new contract, for less than what other RB's are making in the CFL, and no access to NFL tryouts.

You are saying that there is no reasonable extrapolation of previous events that would result in a similar issue next off season, with the provision he has an excellent year?

His biggest concern, and his contract extension confirms this, was that he could not survive on CFL min wages. He is no longer making CFL mins and based on the fact he signed a 2 year deal is presumably happy with his current wage and contract length.

the paw

« Reply #279 on: March 05, 2018, 06:45:27 PM »

James Wilder Jr is a smart man. He knows:

1.  He had an outstanding rookie season, and his value is much higher than he was being paid.

2.  That his family situation makes CFL minimum salary inadequate for the sacrifices required

3.  That despite any inquiries or interest, the NFL remains a longshot with no guarantees.

So he decided that a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush, so long as the bird was $100k large.  Good choice for him and his family. 

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #280 on: March 05, 2018, 06:57:46 PM »

Looks like he doesn't think they'll be winning a GC this year, because he got a $23k bonus for that this year...  Which takes it up to about $50k US for 6 months work...

Want to sign a deal for $150k but add another year?  Would that be horrible?  Its not like the NFL options would be any guarantee of money...

Buono renegotiated Jennings deal, and it came back to bite him when Jennings didn't perform to expectations.  Good on Popp for sticking to his guns.  Its not like there aren't more where Wilder came from, Int RB seems to be one of the easiest holes to fill...

My first post in this thread.

Comments?

His biggest concern, and his contract extension confirms this, was that he could not survive on CFL min wages. He is no longer making CFL mins and based on the fact he signed a 2 year deal is presumably happy with his current wage and contract length.

Read his interview.  He wanted out.  No interest in adding another year.  Out, please, I have NFL teams calling my agent.  Or, at very least, give me more for this year, no extension.

James Wilder Jr is a smart man. He knows:

1.  He had an outstanding rookie season, and his value is much higher than he was being paid.

2.  That his family situation makes CFL minimum salary inadequate for the sacrifices required

3.  That despite any inquiries or interest, the NFL remains a longshot with no guarantees.

So he decided that a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush, so long as the bird was $100k large.  Good choice for him and his family. 

Not so sure he's a "smart man", but he is definitely one that has come to his senses.

I would have paid him more than he settled on Wink .  Instead of doing the reasonable thing, and extending for more money, he went to the media, cried about supporting his family, and disrespected the CFL in claiming that the league takes advantage of players... 

I'm sure if he had gone to Popp instead of a reporter, and said "I'll extend for a year if you increase my salary", he would have gotten more than he eventually did.  It is my opinion that he hurt his bargaining by going public, and ended up paying for that.  Once he realized Popp had all the cards, his bargaining chips were all gone.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:02:25 PM by theaardvark » Logged

66 Chevelle

« Reply #281 on: March 05, 2018, 07:04:10 PM »

plus it not much of a risk for the Argos, come mid season and his numbers are in the dump.... can him... owe him zero...  doubt that will happen, but it's an option...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
theaardvark

« Reply #282 on: March 05, 2018, 07:05:22 PM »

From his interview...

WILDER: I?ve been getting phone calls to my agent from NFL teams with interest, wondering if I?m available. I signed a contract for one-year with an option and I have multiple NFL teams wanting me and I can?t do anything because I am under contract? I?m held back from a better opportunity. I was told that there was going to be no negotiating without adding years to the contract. I?ve made it known that the CFL is not where I wanted to spend my full career if I had an opportunity back in the NFL, that?s been known since day one. That?s where we are right now, they?re not willing to negotiate with me without adding years and not willing to let me go.

the paw

« Reply #283 on: March 05, 2018, 07:08:41 PM »

I would have paid him more than he settled on Wink .  Instead of doing the reasonable thing, and extending for more money, he went to the media, cried about supporting his family, and disrespected the CFL in claiming that the league takes advantage of players... 

I'm sure if he had gone to Popp instead of a reporter, and said "I'll extend for a year if you increase my salary", he would have gotten more than he eventually did.  It is my opinion that he hurt his bargaining by going public, and ended up paying for that.  Once he realized Popp had all the cards, his bargaining chips were all gone.

Except you have absolutely no evidence, other than that you are "sure", that Popp would have paid him more for negotiating quietly.  Once again, you are imposing your own narrative on the facts.  

Popp stated that his first priority was dealing with free agency, and that they then looked to see if they had budget to rework a deal.  Fine. But it was no mistake that Wilder applied his leverage publicly and before free agency, in order to stake his claim. That's smart.  And it was very low risk, because Popp has been around the block a million times.  He doesn't get offended by negotiating tactics and he certainly doesn't panic.  

Did Wilder get more by going public?  Probably not, Popp understands his value.  But he made sure that failing to do the right thing would carry a PR cost to the Argos, and his contract wouldn't be lost in the shuffle. Like I said, smart.  

grab grass 'n growl
Rhapsody in Blue

« Reply #284 on: March 07, 2018, 05:01:27 PM »

I don't know if I would say it was a 'ploy' because if he would have been used the entire year as he had the last 8 games there should be little doubt that he is probably the league leading rusher and probably by more than just a little... In just 8 games of use, that included the playoffs as well, he had the longest rush from scrimmage for the year, 85 yards, the most 20 yards rushes, 7, the most 100+ yard games, 4 (which was half of his games played), and the most yards for a game last season, 190 yards.  It was more than just window dressing, especially when you're making league minimum.  How people feel he should of handled that situation, well that's up to the individual...

I completely agree that the league minimum needs to be raised. I'm not sure how much of a priority players on their first contract are for the CFLPA when it comes to their wish list.

BTW, I wouldn't use Wilder's playoff numbers to make a point about his play. In the Eastern Final he had 22 touches for 104 yards and in the Grey Cup he had 11 touches for 31 yards. He has a lot to prove when it comes to playing in cold/bad weather.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
  Print  

Jump to: