Blue Bombers Forum
June 23, 2018, 08:24:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Thomas  (Read 1970 times)
booch

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 06:39:55 PM »

He is totally a part of the rotation due to his passport....and was listed as a starter because we had noting else we could do ratio wise.

Any guy can rotate in, but whats the quality of their reps when in...sure he makes some plays...any player will from time to time on the filed..that's a given.
But also if you studied plays...you will see more times than not he isn't much of a factor, and we can/could definitely do better. He gets excessive reps, and he falls right off the table production wise. Not something that I want in my 1A Canadian rotation guy who prob will be making a decent salary this year.

He lacks versatility as well...A guy like Corney now plays inside..and on the edge...and is excellent on any of the ST's...has more value...more upside...hasn't peaked yet.
theaardvark

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 07:11:12 PM »

Please stop.  I am a big Jake Thomas fan, and with all your hyperbole, rationalization, and rhetorical gymnastics, you are just inciting people to be more critical of Thomas than he deserves, simply so they can blow up your argument.

Jake Thomas is a good rotational DT, who can't play heavy rotation, but can do very well in limited snaps on D.  He can also chip in by blocking in the wedge, being an emergency OG, and filling out the Jumbo package.  I hope we re-sign him. 

Which is exactly what I've said...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
theaardvark

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 07:15:43 PM »

He is totally a part of the rotation due to his passport....and was listed as a starter because we had noting else we could do ratio wise.

Any guy can rotate in, but whats the quality of their reps when in...sure he makes some plays...any player will from time to time on the filed..that's a given.
But also if you studied plays...you will see more times than not he isn't much of a factor, and we can/could definitely do better. He gets excessive reps, and he falls right off the table production wise. Not something that I want in my 1A Canadian rotation guy who prob will be making a decent salary this year.

He lacks versatility as well...A guy like Corney now plays inside..and on the edge...and is excellent on any of the ST's...has more value...more upside...hasn't peaked yet.

The rotation of Thomas and Corney is very effective.  Faith could possibly take Thomas' spot, sure, and rotate the same way. 

Yes. Absolutely, positively yes. If here were not a NAT, he likely wouldn't even be in football.

But you apparently have no issue with the Bombers parting ways with Westerman, a far more effective and talented NAT player. Huh

I don't want the Bombers to lose Westerman, I just can't see them paying what someone else is willing to.  And they shouldn't, not with the talent we have in Jeffcoat and Ok, who are younger, cheaper and better.  As other people have noted, spending SMS dollars on other positions that make for a better return on investment.  Love Westerman, but I just have a feeling he's going to be too costly.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »

Which is exactly what I've said...

No it isn't. Not even close

No more excuses.
bunker

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 12:41:01 AM »

The rotation of Thomas and Corney is very effective.  Faith could possibly take Thomas' spot, sure, and rotate the same way. 

I don't want the Bombers to lose Westerman, I just can't see them paying what someone else is willing to.  And they shouldn't, not with the talent we have in Jeffcoat and Ok, who are younger, cheaper and better.  As other people have noted, spending SMS dollars on other positions that make for a better return on investment.  Love Westerman, but I just have a feeling he's going to be too costly.
To make the ratio work without Westerman, it sounds like you are suggesting that one of Thomas, Corney or Faith be on the field at all times. IMO that seriously downgrades our D-line, on a defense that was already one of the worst in the league. I would try to sign Westerman for next year, with the hope that Faith and Corney improve enough to make him expendable next year.

The problem I think we are running into is that our SMS is stretched too thin, due to too few talented Americans on cheap entry level contracts. Unless our scouting improves, the problem will continue.
kkc60

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 01:31:56 AM »

To make the ratio work without Westerman, it sounds like you are suggesting that one of Thomas, Corney or Faith be on the field at all times. IMO that seriously downgrades our D-line, on a defense that was already one of the worst in the league. I would try to sign Westerman for next year, with the hope that Faith and Corney improve enough to make him expendable next year.

The problem I think we are running into is that our SMS is stretched too thin, due to too few talented Americans on cheap entry level contracts. Unless our scouting improves, the problem will continue.
Thats an interesting take and makes a ton of sense. All our impact Americans are on expensive deals. Sure, they are good players but they cost a pretty penny more than guys our scouts find
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 01:46:11 AM »

He can't start and it's been stated repeatedly.

While he wouldn't be a starter for many games and someone we would ideally have in this role without rotation for an extended time, he can start in a pinch.  I won't debate that he has some limitations and consistency issues, he could start if we have injury problems.  He showed progress last year and I think he will continue to do so, even if it's in small ways.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:00:41 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 02:35:13 PM »

I disagree about the SMS stretched to thin. We had enough SMS left to sign 9 or 10 of our potential free agents. Very likely several of those high value players got up front money from 2017 SMS money.

Every team has some very expensive import talent on their roster. Bombers are no different in that regard. Certainly finding some young imports that do well helps balance the overall roster from top to bottom. That helps align depth but it's always a gamble.

You could look at the Lions that had Elimimian, Arceneaux, Lulay, Burnam and Williams for example and still managed to finish 5th.

How about the Als? Cox, Hebert, Bowman, Lewis, Durant to name a few.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:38:07 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: