Blue Bombers Forum
June 23, 2018, 08:15:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Thomas  (Read 1969 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 04:11:19 PM »

You are confused. Also, the odds of him taking a DL rep after a kick return is pretty minimal unless we fumble it.

But after playing on the kick team, doesn't our D go onto the field?

You are confused. Also, the odds of him taking a DL rep after a kick return is pretty minimal unless we fumble it.

Sorry, but he does a heck of a lot more than make a block and then stand around.  It is not unusual to see him where the ball ends up, in the pile... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
the paw

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 04:16:27 PM »

Sorry, but he does a heck of a lot more than make a block and then stand around.  It is not unusual to see him where the ball ends up, in the pile... 

He plays in the wedge, when we are returning the kick.  When we return the kick, we normally send our offence out on to the field.

grab grass 'n growl
kkc60

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »

Jake Thomas isnt on kickoff. Hes on kick return. Unless you think hes on punt return or punt. He isnt. Yeah, hes in the pile. Thanks for twisting my words. When I played HS football and Rifles, I was always on the wedge. You never run full speed unless you have a guy lined up to you. You make sure your returner has the ball, and I have seen our wedge hold hands to keep the wedge together. Essentially, stay somewhat in front of the reutrner until a hole opens up. Of course you run, but its without a doubt the lightest STs cardio wise. You really just need a big guy in the middle of it. Chris Greaves did what Thomas does when he was on the Esks (not saying we should sign him)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 04:52:42 PM »

It's fascinating to watch your annual off-season tangent play out. This year, it all started with someone disagreeing with your opinion that Thomas was a must-sign. Your double, triple, quadruple downing on your original statement has reached its inevitable conclusion: He's always in the pile on special teams! He's blocking on the teams with incredible speed and haste! He's a must-have piece on the defensive line! He's way more effective than 12 plays a game! Thomas is a great run stopper!

The dude is a rotational player who's had five sacks in his last 52 games. He had a decent year last year but come on.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »

It's fascinating to watch your annual off-season tangent play out. This year, it all started with someone disagreeing with your opinion that Thomas was a must-sign. Your double, triple, quadruple downing on your original statement has reached its inevitable conclusion: He's always in the pile on special teams! He's blocking on the teams with incredible speed and haste! He's a must-have piece on the defensive line! He's way more effective than 12 plays a game! Thomas is a great run stopper!

The dude is a rotational player who's had five sacks in his last 52 games. He had a decent year last year but come on.

Like clockwork every single year.

Jake Thomas is a reliable rotational NAT player. The end.

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 01:40:07 AM »

Like clockwork every single year.

Jake Thomas is a reliable rotational NAT player. The end.

Agree, Jake is a great asset and improved this year.  While he rotates, he can start.  Great part of the club.  These guys are what make good CFL team tick.  Not all have to be top players but for a Canadian, Jake is solid and reliable and not likely that expensive.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 01:41:14 AM »

THIS  Huh Roll Eyes Tongue

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »

Agree, Jake is a great asset and improved this year.  While he rotates, he can start.  Great part of the club.  These guys are what make good CFL team tick.  Not all have to be top players but for a Canadian, Jake is solid and reliable and not likely that expensive.

He can't start and it's been stated repeatedly.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »

He can't start and it's been stated repeatedly.

OK, lets qualify what "start" means.

Our DLine rotates.  No player plays every down.  Ever.  On the DC, there are "4 starters" listed, but they do not take every down.  They may not even take the majority of downs, depending on situation.

So who is a "starter".  The one who takes the majority of the snaps? 

Thomas can play.  He did at a good level, in the situations he was called upon to fill.  He can balance the ratio when he goes in.

His is not a position that would ever be called upon to play every down.  He needs to play the downs he is needed on, and play effectively in those situations.  Which he did last year. 

Oh, and after Westerman went out, and before Neufeld came in for Bond, Thomas was, in fact, listed as a "starter" on DLine...
I've never said he is a "starter", I maintain that he is an important member of a 7 man DLine rotation. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »

Our DLine rotates.  No player plays every down.  Ever.  On the DC, there are "4 starters" listed, but they do not take every down.  They may not even take the majority of downs, depending on situation.

Thomas can play.  He did at a good level, in the situations he was called upon to fill.  He can balance the ratio when he goes in.

His is not a position that would ever be called upon to play every down.  He needs to play the downs he is needed on, and play effectively in those situations.  Which he did last year. 

Oh, and after Westerman went out, and before Neufeld came in for Bond, Thomas was, in fact, listed as a "starter" on DLine...
I've never said he is a "starter", I maintain that he is an important member of a 7 man DLine rotation. 

A necessary member of the DL rotation due to ratio and nothing more. Are you related to him or something with this continuing push of his importance?

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »

A necessary member of the DL rotation due to ratio and nothing more. Are you related to him or something with this continuing push of his importance?

You think he's part of the rotation soley due to passport?  You don't think that he contributes at all with his play?  You don't think that he is a competent DT?  I'm not saying he's the next Doug Brown, but he is effective in the job he does.  His passport means he gets a little more money, like and Nat vet on the AR.

gbill2004

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 03:46:48 PM »

Aards just really likes ?glue guys?. I believe he?s also a big Matt Hendricks fan  Cheesy
the paw

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 04:31:00 PM »

Please stop.  I am a big Jake Thomas fan, and with all your hyperbole, rationalization, and rhetorical gymnastics, you are just inciting people to be more critical of Thomas than he deserves, simply so they can blow up your argument.

Jake Thomas is a good rotational DT, who can't play heavy rotation, but can do very well in limited snaps on D.  He can also chip in by blocking in the wedge, being an emergency OG, and filling out the Jumbo package.  I hope we re-sign him. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »

You think he's part of the rotation soley due to passport?  You don't think that he contributes at all with his play?  You don't think that he is a competent DT?  I'm not saying he's the next Doug Brown, but he is effective in the job he does.  His passport means he gets a little more money, like and Nat vet on the AR.

You answered your own question. If he was an import he wouldn't make it out of TC.

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 05:31:16 PM »

Yes. Absolutely, positively yes. If here were not a NAT, he likely wouldn't even be in football.

But you apparently have no issue with the Bombers parting ways with Westerman, a far more effective and talented NAT player. Huh

Go Blue!

Go Jets Go!

You can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: